Formula to update cell w/ActiveCell.Value?

Can I put a formula in a certain cell that will, on recalculation, update
that cell with the value of the current ActiveCell?

Ed

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Ed,

Don't think so.  But this sub will do it.  Paste it into the sheet module.
Change the location as necessary.

Application.EnableEvents = False ' prevent retriggering
Range("A1") = ActiveCell.Text
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Can I put a formula in a certain cell that will, on recalculation, update
> that cell with the value of the current ActiveCell?
>
> Ed

0
nowhere1083 (630)
5/12/2004 3:11:39 AM
Hi Ed

You could try the Workbook_SheetCalculate

Try this. Right click on the Excel icon, top left next to "File" and in
here paste the code below

Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
Application.EnableEvents = False
Sheets(1).Range("A1") = ActiveCell
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Change Sheets(1) and Range("A1") to suit.

Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore!
Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***
0
dave2624 (251)
5/12/2004 3:34:46 AM
Dave and Earl - Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm trying to get away from
code (there are threads all over the Excel.programming and vb.general
discussion NG about my recent code difficulties due to an "upgrade"!).  I'm
automating Excel from a Visual Basic application, and I need to be able to
have VB get the ActiveCell value when a button is clicked on the VB form.
But VB doesn't accept the ActiveCell parameter (as far as I can tell - I
have a thread exploring this option on the vb.general discussion NG).  And
since I don't know which cell the user will have active when the VB button
is clicked, I can't code in a specific cell reference.

If, though, I can have a specific cell with a formula that will grab the
value of whatever cell is active, then I can have my VB sub call
workbook.calculate to update the formula and read that particular cell.  Uh,
that is - *IF* my idea has any basis in the real world!  If not, well, it
was an idea anyway ...  8>/

Ed

"Dave Hawley" <dave@ozgrid.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ed
>
> You could try the Workbook_SheetCalculate
>
> Try this. Right click on the Excel icon, top left next to "File" and in
> here paste the code below
>
> Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object)
> Application.EnableEvents = False
> Sheets(1).Range("A1") = ActiveCell
> Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> Change Sheets(1) and Range("A1") to suit.

> Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore!
> Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Value from a closed workbook
Hi How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? I've tried with the 'Indirect' function but have since learnt that this doesn't work when the wookbook is closed i need something like A1="C:\folder\<filename> TIA Hi Anthony I have examples on my site http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Anthony Slater" <AnthonySlater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3790E107-1BA5-40F2-853A-B31BC04FECF3@microsoft.com... > Hi > > How can I extract a value from a closed workbook? &...

Auto-populate comboBox with value from Row Source
I am a novice to intermediate Access 2003 user with some VBA experience. I have a form with 3 combo boxes. All three combo boxes have queries which return a single column, as their row source. Upon an update to the first combo box- the row source for the second Combo Box is requeried based on the value from combo box 1. Is it possible to have the (2nd) combo box display (auto-populate) the first value of the resulting (re)query? The drop-downs function correctly based on the queries. I am trying to avoid the user needing to use the drop-down when only one value is returned from ...

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

how can i make paragraphs in side one cell in Excell?
Hi press ALT & ENTER when you want a new line Cheers JulieD "ashraf" <ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E508A2C8-CC79-4107-93EE-5D607A53E8BA@microsoft.com... > or, format cell / alignment / wrap text ...

Money Plus Delux and RC3 update
Yes, I know it was on this forum but I am still as stuped as former polish prime minister. Money wants to update, I allow and it can not dowload. I did everythig to find a solution: 1. removed and installed Money several times, 2. turn off NOD32 and Defender, 3. Turn on DEP for essential programs and services Windows, 4. Turn on DEP for all programs exept: insights, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Money Background Banking, Microsoft Money Update Utility, mnyupdate!@#@.exe, Money Activation Utylity, msmoney.exe 5. SSL2 is enabled, TSL 1is disabled. NO RESULTS. My system is Vista Ultimate, 2GB R...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

2008 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have just installed the update. It asks for my product key which I type in but nothing happens. If I type in a different key it says wrong key but when I type in the correct key it just sits that. Continue lights up, I click it and nothing happens!!!! I'm away doing my doctoral work, now what do I do drewdinardo@officeformac.com wrote: > I have just installed the update. It asks for my product key which I > type in but nothing happens. If I type in a different key it says > wrong key but when I type in t...

Formula to return a formula

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

Inventory Values Copied from Old into New Items
Guys, When I use the Copy function to create new items from older items, the invenory values are carried over. In other words, the On Hand, Committed... field values under the Inventory tab are the same as the source item. Now, this cannot be correct behaviour, since a new item is independent onto its own, with its inventory quantities totally unrelated to the item from which it was originally copied. Anybody has come across this before? How can I set this right? Thanks, This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C92EF5.0E1EBB10 Content-Type: text/plai...

FORMULA #14

Cell format changes General into Text after focus + Enter
Strange cell behavior. I have a simple sheet. One cell has a reference to another cell, made by Both cells formatted as General Cell A4 value 8 Cell A10: Function button F2: =A4 result in 8 OK so far. But when I click on A10 followed by ENTER, it changes into =A4 and is formatted as Text, not General ********* No Macros / additional VBA code / Excel 2003 on XP SP2 Bart ...

Update not complete
I have been using MS Money for years (12?) with online updates for my brokerage accounts with little of no problems. I upgrade my software each year at tax time (rebatesīŠ) and am currently running MS Money Plus Deluxe. About 3 months ago I started having update problems with my brokerage account. When I update the accounts first thing in the morning I get the following error: Update Not Complete. Your Last Call Encountered an Error. Microsoft Money Could Not Update Your Account. Please Try To Update Your Account Again. If the Problem Persists Contact Customer Support. General ...