Formula to extract the last word from a cell

Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell.

For example if  cell contains the text:  Best available title

How could I produce the result: "title"

(And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the
last word from other cells in the column as well.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell.
>
> For example if  cell contains the text:  Best available title
>
> How could I produce the result: "title"
>
> (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the
> last word from other cells in the column as well.)
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

0
BobNGs (423)
9/10/2008 1:36:12 PM
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND("
",A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(A1),1)))))

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200803
0
<GarysStud...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> =3DRIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-LOOKUP(LEN(A1),FIND("
> ",A1,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(A1),1)))))
>
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu200803

Thanks a million!

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Missing Contacts in Word 2002 compared to contacts in Outlook 2002
When I try to print an envelope in Word using the Outlook contacts, those contacts without a fax number or email address don't show up. I need all of them to show up. The address book in Word will show all of your Contacts. How are you invoking the address book? How did you configure it? -- Russ Valentine "Paul Johnson" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:uKiYg26pKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > When I try to print an envelope in Word using the Outlook contacts, those > contacts without a fax number or email address don't show up. I need all ...

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

Word Table into Excel
When I copy a row of text (divided into a number of columns) from a wor table and paste in Excel - it copies down all information from acros the columns down into ONE column (col A) instead of across int seperate columns. Is there any way I can copy over details from table in word to cells into Excel without writing VB -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com you can create a table in Word that is the same size as the excel information that you are trying to move and then simply copy and paste (when pasting make sure that you highlight the entire table though.) >-----Origi...

Can not re-input the same word
Let say in 'A1' I input as "KELVIN", then this word will not allow anymore in anywhere in the same sheet. How to do it? What's the coding in VBA of it? Kelvin, You've asked for VBA, but here's a way without it: 1) Select all the cells of the worksheet except A1. To do this, click A2, then press Ctrl-Shift-DownArrow. Add column B to the selection by Ctrl-clicking the column B header, then press Ctrl-Shift-RightArrow. All the cells except A1 should not be selected, and B1 is the active (white) cell of the selection. 2) Data - Validation. Set the Allow box...

trying to find how to display worksheet name in cell
I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. http://contextures.com/xlfaqFun.html#SheetName From Debra Dalgleish's site. Yvonne Barber wrote: > > I'm trying to determine the formula to display the worksheet name. -- Dave Peterson ...

How do you merge cells with multiple data values?
How do you merge cells with multiple data values? Hi basically you can't ... and it's not a good idea to merge cells anyway- they cause problems "down the track" with sorting & filtering & other things. If you want the text from two or more cells in one, you can concatenate it using a formula =A1&" " & B1 will concatenate the contents of A1 and B1 (with a space between) into the cell with the formula you can then copy / edit - paste special, values this formula to turn it into a real value and then you can delete the original fields. But as f...

FORMULA #14

paste to word
How do I paste from excel to word, witout getting the grid lines? I have tried filling whole sheet with white and when I paste to word, I still get the grid lines. Ross In Word - Table|Hide Gridlines -- Ian -- "Ross" <ssor@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news:WGzZe.2177$7b6.328@twister.nyroc.rr.com... > How do I paste from excel to word, witout getting the grid lines? I have > tried filling whole sheet with white and when I paste to word, I still get > the grid lines. > > Ross > Thanks Ian, Boy am I thick. I should have known that :) Ross &...

Last Question regarding ITems
I am unclear as to how I should take care of this item... Take for example I order a carton or case of items by I only sell these items by the single item. So in a case there is 36 or 48 or 60 of one item. How Should I enter this into RMS? I want to be able to buy 1 cs and recieve the inventory and have RMS automatically make it so that I have 36, 48 or 60 of them available. parent = case child = individual like items within case search help file for "parent child" "Pr0ject" <Pr0ject@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9E706E8-75B1-4E64-ACCF-72EAE...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

how to add a print tab or button in a cell
I’m wanting to add a print button on to a excel spreadsheet cell, so you click on the cell (which would say PRINT ME) and the document prints out. It’s for a spreadsheet at work. So they don’t have to click on file, print or on the tab at the top of the screen………..Ya I know but the powers that be have asked. I’ve had a look on the net but cant find anything that’ll show me, Can anyone help? You could record a macro when you print what you want manually. Then drag a button from the Froms toolbar onto that worksheet. And assign your recorded macro to that button. SimonJ wrote: > ...