Formula Syntax - What it means?

Hi Excel Forum,

I believe the following formulas all find the MINIMUM value that is NO
= zero (<>0) and produce the same results. I am unsure of their syntax
Can you explain the syntax of the following formulas and th
differences between them:

=MIN(IF(A1:A20,A1:A20))

=MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20))

=MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20,""))

How does the first formula work and, if there is a zero 0 avoi
returning a zero 0 without mentioning NOT = zero <>0?

what are the quotation marks for and what do they do?

When would it be preferable to use one syntax rather than another?

What signifies or denotes an array formula?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Kind regards,
QT

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hello QTE,
Try this:
In A1:A5 enter -2,-1,0,1,2
In B1 ENTER =IF(A1,A1) and copy down to B5. Excel must look at A1 and see if
it is "true". But it is a number! Excel treats all non-zero numeric values
as TRUE. So you will get -2,1, FALSE in B1:B5
In C1 enter =IF(A1<>0,A1) and copy down to C5. You will get the same
results. Now the test is "Is A1 not zero" rather than"Is A1 TRUE"
In D1 enter =IF(A1<>),A1,0) and copy to D5. Now you will get -2,-1, empty
cell, 1,2. The syntax for IF is =IF(condition,true_result, false_result). In
B1 and C1 we did not bother to say what Excel should return when the result
is false, so Excel supplied FALSE (very kind!) In D1 we have specified what
then the condition is false we want nothing (null, zilch, narda) to be
returned. We do with an empty set of quotes.

Which is best? Well it was shorter to type B1 than C1 or D1.

Here endeth the lesson. For info on array formulas visit Chip's site at
www.cpearson.com.

Best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"QTE >" <<QTE.18kdwy@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi Excel Forum,
>
> I believe the following formulas all find the MINIMUM value that is NOT
> = zero (<>0) and produce the same results. I am unsure of their syntax.
> Can you explain the syntax of the following formulas and the
> differences between them:
>
> =MIN(IF(A1:A20,A1:A20))
>
> =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20))
>
> =MIN(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20,""))
>
> How does the first formula work and, if there is a zero 0 avoid
> returning a zero 0 without mentioning NOT = zero <>0?
>
> what are the quotation marks for and what do they do?
>
> When would it be preferable to use one syntax rather than another?
>
> What signifies or denotes an array formula?
>
> Your assistance is appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> QTE
>

> ---

bliengme5824 (3040)
6/28/2004 4:26:19 PM
Hi Bernard,

Thank you so much for your explanation and examples, and referral to
www.cpearson.com (your link has a stray full-stop after the word com
so you get the page not found error if using that link).

www.cpearson.com - Good formula array information.

Cheers
QTE

Bernard Liengme wrote:
> *Hello QTE,
> Try this:
> In A1:A5 enter -2,-1,0,1,2
> In B1 ENTER =IF(A1,A1) and copy down to B5. Excel must look at A1 an
> see if
> it is "true". But it is a number! Excel treats all non-zero numeri
> values
> as TRUE. So you will get -2,1, FALSE in B1:B5
> In C1 enter =IF(A1<>0,A1) and copy down to C5. You will get the same
> results. Now the test is "Is A1 not zero" rather than"Is A1 TRUE"
> In D1 enter =IF(A1<>),A1,0) and copy to D5. Now you will get -2,-1
> empty
> cell, 1,2. The syntax for IF is =IF(condition,true_result
> false_result). In
> B1 and C1 we did not bother to say what Excel should return when th
> result
> is false, so Excel supplied FALSE (very kind!) In D1 we hav
> specified what
> then the condition is false we want nothing (null, zilch, narda) t
> be
> returned. We do with an empty set of quotes.
>
> Which is best? Well it was shorter to type B1 than C1 or D1.
>
> Here endeth the lesson. For info on array formulas visit Chip's sit
> at www.cpearson.com.
>
> Best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove CAPS in e-mail address
>
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/
> >[/color]

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Count formula within a named range.

No MDX syntax highlighting or Design Set tab in SSRS 2008
I'm a reporting services developer, and I've been resisting moving from SSRS 2005 to SSRS 2008 for two reasons. The first is that I write some pretty complex MDX reports and in SSRS 2008 there is no syntax highlighting. Furthmore, when I'm adding SSRS 2005 MDX reports, it throws everything into a big pile, and ruins my spacing, tabs, etc. I can't even do a Ctrl + A to select it All. Its just really disappointing that they took steps backward in their code editor from SSRS 2005 to SSRS 2008. Also, I'm not a really big fan of getting rid of the design tab. It&#...

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

copying true formulas only
I want to create a new row and copy selectively from the one above. I want to copy formats and formulas but not values. I am using Excel 2002. I can use insert to create a new row with all the same formats (including conditional formatting). If I then use paste-->special-->formulas Excel pastes both formulas AND values of the cells which contain no formula. I want to avoid writing something which tests each cell to see if it contains a true formula. Any suggestions anyone? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and ...

formula question #23
if I have a date in colum A and a date in colum B, what would the formula be to find out how many months inbetween the two dates? -- fiona05 Morning Fiona Set up the formula so (eg) =B1-A1 and format the cell using FORMAT/CELLS/NUMBER select CUSTOM and enter in the TYPE box this: mm This gives you whole months between dates and might not be as accurate as you might need Jon -- Jon Quixley ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25803 View this thread: http://ww...

Loan payment formula
Need more info than Excel offers. We need a formula to put into 24 cells that'll return the principal +interest amount to pay down a loan. Consider these hypothetical parameters: Principal = $100 Annual Interest = 7.5% compounded Number of pay periods = 24 (equal amounts) Paymts Due = 1st of each period Can anyone help? Thanks Microsoft have already thought of this: Type "Where do I find Templates" into Excel Help. You may find that you have a Loan Amortization Schedule template on your computer that will produce the results you require. "The Hun" wrote: > N...

This formula needs help
have added information on my web page www.mykaltx.com to help. I got some great input from some of the other users. I appreciate all the help. The spreadsheet is now able to calculate the weight of steel beams pipe, angle channel and plate. What I need now is for it to calculate the weight of a trapezoid. Th spreadsheet will have to use the weight for plate. The kicker is i will have to calculate the weight for plate the top width the botto width and the length as well. If you have any ideas let me know. Also I am not that great at explaining myself. Let me know if I need t clarify. I ...

I need help with Excel formula
I need help with Excel formula (first one is correct but I don't know how to add second formula)? =IF('1'!W16="($E20>2000000,0,IF($E20>100… =""AB8",'1'!W16) or =IF(‘1’!X16="(($E20>5000000,1200,IF($E20… =""AB8",'1'!X16) -- Thx On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 06:31:01 -0800, antoinette <lerouxroux@gmail.com> wrote: >I need help with Excel formula (first one is correct but I don't know how to >add second formula)? >=IF('1'!W16="($E20>2000000,0,IF($E20>100� =""AB8"...