Formula Problem #12

I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products.

My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%.

I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the
product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising
dollars, etc.

Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that
would do this, but I'm stumped.

I could use a hint...
0
JohnP26 (33)
1/24/2008 12:38:33 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2
percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1:

=3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2

Format as currency and copy into C2:C3 to give you:

$209,328.60
$252,347.60
$238,323.80

But, of course, there are other ways ..

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 24, 12:38=A0pm, JP <John...@msn.com> wrote:
> I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products.
>
> My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%.
>
> I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the
> product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising
> dollars, etc.
>
> Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that
> would do this, but I'm stumped.
>
> I could use a hint...

0
pashurst (2576)
1/24/2008 1:14:18 PM
What algorithm do you want to use to apportion the money with?

Using the market share numbers seems inappropriate, as the markets will
differ in size, so would you want to spend most of you budget on a product
in a small market, just because you have a tiny share of that (small)
market?

--
---
HTH

Bob

"JP" <JohnP26@msn.com> wrote in message

> I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products.
>
> My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%.
>
> I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the
> product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising
> dollars, etc.
>
> Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that
> would do this, but I'm stumped.
>
> I could use a hint...

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
1/24/2008 1:15:57 PM
The markets are close in size.  Region one is slightly biggerr than
region two, and two is slightly bigger than three.  One market doesn't
dwarf the other.

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:15:57 -0000, "Bob Phillips"
<bob.NGs@somewhere.com> wrote:

>What algorithm do you want to use to apportion the money with?
>
>Using the market share numbers seems inappropriate, as the markets will
>differ in size, so would you want to spend most of you budget on a product
>in a small market, just because you have a tiny share of that (small)
>market?

0
JohnP26 (33)

help with formula please #2

Data Migration Problem 01-14-05
Hello, i had just read the data migration frameworkguide, and i'm trying to migrate data into the crm database. But i have not the same entries in my cdf_Account_info table, but data is in cdf_Account table present. What is working wrong?? log files are correct. I hope someone can help me! ali Hi Ali, This sometimes happens if the triggers on the cdf_Account table don't fire. I'm not sure as to the reason behind this but you can manually update the cdf_Account_info and cdf_Account_ext files with the AccountId from cdf_Account. Try use the following SQL: Insert Into cdf_A...

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Public Folder Problem #9
We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 and Windows 2003 Server SP1. Our public folders got messed up in our remote site, and I deleted the public store on that server and recreated it figuring I could backfill from our Main corporate mail server, running the same configuration. The remote site doesn't show any of the replicas from our corporate box even though I have added them. I turned Public Folder logging to maxium on both servers and they are saying they are replicating fine. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this? If you need more information, I would be more than happy ...

EUREKA -- the mutual fund problem is fixed
I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. EUREKA! Honestly, thanks to all who, like me, bugged Microsoft endlessly to understand the complexities of this problem and to get it fixed. We did it! "Chuck Leven" <CHLeven@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%230lQmZ03FHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I just tried once more to update my Fidelity Funds in MS Money and, this >time, the update worked. Both the quotes and the date were correct. >EUREKA! Mine just upda...

Problem getting values in iframe
Hi, I have placed an iframe to the account form. This iframe calls an .aspx page that is also placed on the same server as the CRM. I am trying to get an value from the CRM form to the .aspx page in the iFrame. my function that I call upon "onLoad": <script language="javascript"> function GetSomeValues() { document.getElementById('TextBox1').value = parent.document.forms[0].all.name.DataValue; } </script> This fails! I get the message: "Access denied!" Is there any setting in the CRM I have forgotten to turn on or off?? Can a...

Puzzling font problem
Hello, I have an mfc app that is exhibiting incorrect output using ExtTextOut(), but only with certain fonts and certain characters. For example, using Arial, the inverted question mark is display as the "ae" character. As I switch fonts in the app, it is displayed as it should. Any comments would be much appreciated.... Definitely puzzling. I've looked through several font sets, including the old IBM OEM font and modern Unicode, but nothing leapt out as to why this should be happening. Can you create an absolutely minimal app that exhibits this behavior? joe On 30 Ja...

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

User Manager Login problem
Hi, I've just installed MS CRM 1.2. Everything works fine, however when I attempt to logon to the User Manager, I get the following error: "Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON." (80040e4d) Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Mike Mike, Did you go through the steps of assigning a license to the Admin user? Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 04:55:49 -0400, "mikieg_99" <mike.gallagher@etypemedia.co.uk> wrote: Hi, I've just installed MS CRM 1.2. Everything work...

Count formula within a named range.

Inbox problems
How do I set up an inbox for each user on my PC I don't want them in my inbox and I don't want to run through thier e-mail to find mine. Please help. State your version and mode of Outlook - no one can help without basic information. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Charles <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | How do I set up an inbox for each user on my PC I don't | want them in my inbox and I don't want to run through | thier e-mail to ...

Including a formula in a path name.

Problem Creating Contract through SDK (Urgent please)
I have a strange problem creating a contract as illustrated in the code below, Unfortuantely the exception thrown by MS CRM is not very helpful. contract Create(Guid accountId) { account a = Service.Retrieve(EntityName.account.ToString(), accountId, new AllColumns()) as account; if (a == null) return null; contract con = new contract(); try { //ServiceTemplate function works! Lookup t = new Lookup(); t.type = EntityName.contracttemplate.ToString(); t.Value =...

FORMULA #14

Problems in changing PO Line Status from Closed to Received?
Recently one of our employees mistakenly closed a line item on an purchase order where items had been received against that line item but we had not yet matched a purchasing invoice to the shipment. (He also closed the purchase order). I was able to change the purchase order status from "Closed" to "Change Order" for the purchase order but could not change the line status from "Closed" on that line in the Edit Purchase Order Status window. This causes problems later on because I now have an amount in my Accrued Expenses general ledger account with no corre...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Read text file problem (CStdio::ReadString())
I have created a function that reads a text file containing a list of servers. The code for this function is below but for some reason it doesn't retrieve any data from servers.pdd. My code below shows that ReadString() is returning 0. Any ideas? void CServersDlg::GetServerList() { TRY { CStdioFile f; CString s; CString output; if(f.Open("servers.pdd", CFile::modeRead | CFile::shareExclusive | CFile::typeText)) { BOOL retval; while(retval = f.ReadString(s)) // retval = 0, so does no iterations { output += s; //never occurs ...