Formula for adding up columns, i.e., B1:B10 + D1:D10 + F1:F10 + H1:H10 + J1:J10

I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp. if
they're broken up by rows/columns in between?

Thanks!

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:06:49 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

=SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
> obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
> What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp. if
> they're broken up by rows/columns in between?
>
> Thanks!

0
terre081 (3244)
10/20/2005 6:12:29 PM
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)

A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
should have asked a lot sooner!

Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
feel silly.  :oD

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > I've never figured this one out.  Went and googled yet again but I'm
> > obviously not googling for the right thing.  Same as with the help file.
> > What is the type of formula we use for adding up columns or rows, esp.
if
> > they're broken up by rows/columns in between?
> >
> > Thanks!

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:15:30 PM
Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.

Type:
=sum(
point at the first range (b1:B10)
then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).

Then take a look at your formula.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I had tried that but it didn't work.  I'm guessing I did something wrong.

Thanks.

> Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.
>
> Type:
> =sum(
> point at the first range (b1:B10)
> then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).
>
> Then take a look at your formula.
>
> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)
> >
> > A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
> > should have asked a lot sooner!
> >
> > Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
> > feel silly.  :oD
> >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >

> > > "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > if

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 6:45:43 PM
I would guess that same thing -- 'cause it worked ok for me.

--

Dave Peterson
0

> Sometimes, if you let excel help, you'll have less to remember.
>
> Type:
> =sum(
> point at the first range (b1:B10)
> then ctrl-click and point at the subsequent (D1:d10 and so forth).
>
> Then take a look at your formula.
>
> StargateFanFromWork wrote:
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > =SUM(B1:B10,D1:D10,F1:F10,H1:H10)
> >
> > A COMMA!!  A @#$#@ comma is what has held me up all this time <lol>.  I
> > should have asked a lot sooner!
> >
> > Thanks so much!  It's always the little things that stump us.  Do I ever
> > feel silly.  :oD
> >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >

> > > "StargateFanFromWork" <noSpam@NoJunkMail.com> wrote in message
> > if

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noSpam9680 (54)
10/20/2005 8:17:50 PM
Glad it worked for you.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sales line totals not adding up
Have a weird situation. We have a sales invoice that has an incorrect total. I added the totals of the line items and I am off. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks. Marisol, While entering the transaction, something would have happened to this transaction. Just get the users log out, run check links on Sales Transaction Work Tables. Then, Go to the transaction,see if it's corrected, if not, you can delete the transaction and re-enter the same. -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Marisol" wrote: > Have a weird situation. We have a sale...

Adding Formatting Instruction to a Formula
Excel 2000 This question is being asked more out of curiosity than out of any real need. I have the following formula in a cell. The text is oriented vertically and the column widths are such that I need to put it all in one cell in order to keep the information together on the page. =CONCATENATE(A16 & ": " & TEXT(B16,"mmmm") & CHAR(10) & A17 & ": " & TEXT(B17,"mmmm,yyyy") & CHAR(10) & A18 & ": " & TEXT(B18,"mmmm d, yyyy") & CHAR(10) & A19 & ": " & TEXT(B19,"mm...

Excel VB
I have produced a table, Data, which automatically generates a char using Macro's and VB. However, I am trying to add more rows to increas the size of the chart but unfortunatly, I cannot get the chart range to increase automatically. Something that I would like to do. I have attached the file to hopefully help. By clicking onto the Macro Update, I would like to update the chart even if and when new rows ar added to the table in Data. I think that the problem lies in Name Ranges and I have added '*' t where in the macro I think that the problem is. Is there anyone who can hel...

Adding an extra drive to an existing DPM RAID 5 set
We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and I need to add an extra disk. If I add the drive to the existing array will DPM detect the extra drive space automatically or if I rescan the drives? What is the recommended method of doing this? There would be more space, but as far as DPM is concerned it is still using one virtual disk. Thanks... On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:52:27 -0800 (PST), Phillip Wendell <phillipwendell@yahoo.com> wrote: >We have an existing hardware RAID array where our DPM data resides and >I need to add an extra disk. If I ad...

column width changes
I have two seperate workbooks (Excel 2000)with exact same formatting. I save them as Excel 97 formats for use by colleague with older version of Excel. One workbook is okay but other will have one column width reduced, which causes cell to display ####. I've compared the workbooks one for one and cannot locate the problem. Any help? The first question I have is what's in that cell? Is it a date? Excel picks up several date formats from windows regional settings. For example, if you format as m/d/y and I use mm/dd/yyyy as my windows (8 digits and 2 slashes). If you use m/d/yy,...

csv-files with '+' in field -> treated as formula
When I make up a CSV-file (from our oracle-database) we have to fill in a line like this: 9603144;01;TEST;+BE;01/01/1000;31/12/9999 When opening the file in Excel, the 4th field (+BE) is treated as a formula, but that is not an option. Anyone have an idea how to write it in the CSV-file so that it is treated as a text-field but without showing any quotes (so I would like to see +BE and not '+BE) Tnx already in advance! Dave found something myself: just add a space before the + and it's ok if anyone has another idea: post it >-----Original Message----- >When I make up ...

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

Outlook Prompts for E-mail Account and Password Even Though "Save Password" Has Been Checked (XP)
The OS is XP Pro. One user, Adminstrator, password login. I can't recall if it's Outlook 2000 or 2003. Multiple e-mail accounts. Every time he gets his e-mail, Outlook prompts for the account logins and passwords. He checks the "save password" box and it gets the mail. But the next time he gets his e-mail, Outlook prompts for the accountnames and passwords again. Any idea why? Peter, I have had the same problem ever since I upgraded to Outlook 2002. Hope someone has the answer. This also happens on several of my web based email sites. I check the Remember my login and p...

will formulas be lost when moving data in a worksheet?
I have a P & L that contains 3 years of info. I have to delete the oldest year (2007) and put in our actual numbers for year ending 2010. Will I lose all of the formulas when I delete all of the 2007 numbers? Is there an easier way to do this? Edit/ Goto/ Special/ Constants Delete those. -- David Biddulph "Renae" <Renae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:456322CE-EB1E-4616-8716-881CF545DC33@microsoft.com... >I have a P & L that contains 3 years of info. I have to delete the oldest > year (2007) and put in our actual numbers for y...

Adding a line Chart Type to a stacked-clustered Chart Type
I have columns and stacked columns side by side in a chart. I tried to add another data point, but as a line instead of a column. The line does not appear on the chart itself but does show as a data series in the legend. I have an example I could email but not sure how to attach to these messages. Debbie - What does your data look like? Is the data (X & Y) for the line within the same range as the columns? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Debbie wrote: > I have columns a...

Please Help: compare values in two columns present in seperate tab
Hi All, How can I compare values in two columns (columns are in different tables) ? I also want to display the values that dont match in a seperate table. For eg: If values in Column1 from Table1 does not match Values in Column1 from Table2 then display those values in a seperate table Is there a way to do this? THanks in advance Here's one way: http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/query/distinct_vs_distinctrow/unique_values_records.asp -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "sam" wr...

yahoo e-mail #2
I have just lost my job, and want to get my yahoo e-mail to load automatically into Outlook. I have been unsuccessful. Can you help? You will need a paid yahoo premium account to work in Outlook - see their mail help pages for instructions. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. While thinking hard, suzanne <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> queried: | I have just lost my job, and want to get my yahoo e-mail | to load automatically into Outlook. I have been | unsuccessful. | | Can you help? There is a free 3rd party...

Help with formula #5
I am working with a income statement. In column A are the account classifications, column B identifies th account as fixed or variable expense, column C is the value. Wha formula can I use that I can total the Fixed and Variable costs in tw different cells based on what is in column B so that if I change th letter in column B to either V or F the total Fixed or Variable amoun will change accordingly A B C Sales 10,000 Sales Returns V 500 Cost of Goods V ...

I can't print my incoming e-mail. Jibberish is printed instead.
Is this a new issue or has it always happened? "Digger" <Digger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16BA329C-4D87-46E3-BB8D-D29777466EA3@microsoft.com... > ...

Formulas for birth year and age in user defined fields
I'm using outlook 2002. I want to create 2 user-defined fields in my contacts, but am having trouble figuring out how to do it: 1. Year of birth field, based on the value entered in the birthday field - I created a new user defined field, with the Type set as Formula, and the formula set as: Year ([Birthday]). The year is displayed, but formatted as a number (1,957) rather than a year (1957). How can I get the number to be displayed without the comma? 2. Age, based on difference between birthday and present date - Is there a simple formula to accomplish this? I haven't been ab...

Multiple combined formulas ?
I am not sure what combinations of formula’s are needed to lookup an item, evaluate multiple results and list the result. Here is a sample scenario: ID Item Result 1234 Degree 30 1234 Degree 15 1234 Method Hand 456 Style Green 789 Degree 30 1023 Degree 15 1023 Degree 10 1023 Method Foot I need to be able to lookup the ID number e.g. “1234” in column A, evaluate all the item responses for 1234 that match, e.g. “Degree” in column B and then evaluate the results for all the items called “Degree” for ID 1234 and then if the Result is e.g. 30, record 30 in the cell. Hope I have explained it...

problem Adding new user on server 2003
I can't not add any user the program is giving me a masege: Windows unable to update the password. The Value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirement of domain. please help.. I can not add any users becouse of this message. You have complex passwords enabled, so the users password must be a certain length and contain upper-case, lower-case and numerical values. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "oscar" <oscar@tvpromofl.com> wrote in message news:098701c3d3b4$3dfa3e50...

formula required
hi I don't know if this can be done but here goes, I have the ages of certain members of a club and I want to label them in the next column as either :- under 12, 12-18, oap or adult. I then need to allocate a payments due colunm depending on there status ie under 12s �4, 12-18 �6. I have tried in vain and cannot do but it would make it so much easier for me if it could be done. Many thanks Jim one way to try =if(a2>=18,"adult",if(a2>=12,"12-18","under 12")) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "jim" <jcreask@nospamblueyo...

at least one recipient does not have an e-mail error
This error message continues to show up after our upgrade from CRM3 to CRM4: At least one recipient does not have an e-mail address or is marked as "Do Not Allow" e-mail. It happens in emails and appointments that I've noticed so far. It can happen to an appointment when only one user is both the required attendee and the regarding person. I have looked for any missing emails in the user records, and the email is there. The user is capable of receiving emails. I have looked for inactive and active contacts, and open and closed leads to see if there is another object wi...

IIF usage in Column Header Expression
I am trying to turn Day of week column headings into the actual dates but get a #ERROR. The expression I am using is "Work Date: IIf([SLICE1]>0,[PERIOD_START],(IIf([SLICE2]>0,([Period_Start]+1))))" Once I get this working I will expand it to all 7 days. The database stores Period_Number, SLICE1, SLICE2, etc. in the Time_Reported table and Period_Number, Period_Start, & Period_End in the User_Period table. Both tables are in the query. Thanks for any help, Alan ...

E Mail Link
I have an organization roster file which includes a listing of E Mail addresses. When I enter an address, it normally displays as a link in blue. If I click on it, the message window opens. Lately, my additions do not display as links. How can I change this. Bernie Beal bquest@optonline.net Is it a display problem--the links still work, but the formatting isn't pretty? If yes, select that troublesome range and format|style|and choose hyperlink Bernie Beal wrote: > > I have an organization roster file which includes a listing of E Mail > addresses. When I enter an address...

How to change column titles from numbers to letters.
The columns are labeled in numbers. How do I change this to letters. mdb60575 schreef: > The columns are labeled in numbers. How do I change this to letters. Tools > Options > General > switch off R1C1 reference style Bart Snel Tools>Options>General Deselect R1C1 reference style -- ERR229 "mdb60575" wrote: > The columns are labeled in numbers. How do I change this to letters. Hi, Go to Tools>Options>General>unselect "R1C1 reference style" HT -- Case ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Casey'...

How do i change the cells in a column at the same time in Excell?
Christar, You post is way thin on details and to insure you get some goo feedback, it is important to take the time to be a specific as possibl about what you want to happen. That being said; here is an example of changing an entire column' formatting.. If you want to apply the same formatting to all the cells in a column click on the column letter A,B,C........, you will notice that th entire column is highlighted. Now, go straight to Format>Cells an begin selecting the formatting changes you would like. These change will be applied to the entire selected column. Hopes this helps, ...

Looking for an e-commerce / e-store solution interfacing w/ CRM (& GP if possible)
We are a software company (and MS certified partner) which is in the process of implementing Dynamics CRM for our own use. We need to find an e-store package which will interface with Dynamics CRM. The shopping cart requirements are trivial, and credit card processing is very standard. The most important thing for us is that when a customer registers at the e-store to download a demo, their account information should appear in CRM as a lead with an opportunity. It would be a big plus if the invoicing info could be passed on to Great Plains, as well. We willing to do customization ...

Copy and paste data from Auto Filter / Subtotal (or apply a formula to filtered data)
I have Excel 2003 at work and Excel 2000 on one of my computers at home. I am not sure how much this feature differs between the two programs, but I am defintitely experiencing this problem on my work computer: When I apply autofilter and then copy the data and try to paste it onto another worksheet, it pastes all the data, not just the visible data (i.e the data that is still visible when autofilter is applied). I have just tried this on my home computer (2000) and the results are a little more unpredictable. Sometimes it will paste only the visible data, but sometimes it pastes all the dat...