Formatting Imported Data

Hi,

I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an
Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the
same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them.
So that the column

would look like

1
empty cell
empty cell
2
empty cell
empty cell
3

I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use
some type of additional program (like VBA)?

TIA,
Matt
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Nothing straightforward that I can see.

Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to
use a VBA macro.

Sub InsertRows22()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim NumRows As Integer
    Dim R As Long
         R = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
         NumRows = 2
         For R = R To 1 Step -1
        ActiveSheet.Rows(R + 1).Resize(NumRows).Insert
    Next R
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

FIRST..............make a copy of your original workbook.

Open your copied workbook.

Alt + F11 to open VB Editor.  CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

Select your workbook/project and Insert>Module.

Copy/paste the above macro into that module.

Alt + q to return to Excel.

Save the workbook as a Macro-enabled workbook  *.xlsm if running 2007

If running 2003 simply save as  *.xls

Alt + F8 and Run the macro

If happy...................glad to assist.

If not happy...............post back.

Gord Dibben     MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:44:29 -0700 (PDT), Junoexpress <mtbrenneman@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an
>Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the
>same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them.
>So that the column
>
>1
>2
>3
>
>would look like
>
>1
>empty cell
>empty cell
>2
>empty cell
>empty cell
>3
>
>I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use
>some type of additional program (like VBA)?
>
>TIA,
>Matt
0
phnorton (279)
10/25/2010 6:42:15 PM
A non macro approach...
Consecutively number the column adjoining the data.
Copy the numbers and paste them below the first set, do it twice.
Sort both columns by the numbers column.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon  USA

..
..
..

wrote in message
Hi,

I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an
Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the
same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them.
So that the column

would look like

1
empty cell
empty cell
2
empty cell
empty cell
3

I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use
some type of additional program (like VBA)?

TIA,
Matt

how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the.
how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the table? I know it is possible if you change your table, but it is not very convenient. Thanks You can change the order of the series: double click a series, then rearrange the series in the Series Order tab. If you need to change the left-right order of categories along the X axis of a chart, you pretty much have to modify the table. If the table is for display, you could chart from a separate table, both tables linked to the same source data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutor...

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Inventory Item Import
Is there a way to import inventory items in RMS? In situations with a large number of items, this would be much more efficient than having to manually set up each item in RMS. If there is a way to import inventory records, what file formats are supported? Also, where in RMS is the utility that will do this (I have looked, but can't seem to find it). Thanks for your assistance. Your reseller can get you a copy of an import utility that is available via CustomerSource (for customers on a maintenance plan). That utility will import from delimited files such as .csv, .txt (tab-delimi...

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Changes to Data on a Worksheet
I have a data entry sheet (Excel 2000) and a "store" sheet. The info on the data entry sheet is saved on a single row in the store sheet. I need to detect whether any changes have been made to the details on the data entry page and currently do this by concatenating every data cell on the data sheet and comparing it to the concatenated cells on the corresponding row in the store. Is there an easier way to detect whether any changes have been made on the data entry page? Thanks for any help. Brian Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H...

Conditional Formating Help

Data missing
I linked an excel file to an access database. One of the data fields is showing #Num! in the column instead of the data.while saving this to a text format, I am losing the data. Can anyone help ? ...

Grouping sales data into weekly buckets
I have sales data that I want to analyze in weekly buckets. I can group all sales in a month by using the MONTH formula. (MONTH(actual invoice date)). I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has a suggestion for grouping sales by week. Some type of formula that has an output stating the week of the actual invoice date. Any suggestions? Hi John! You'll really need to introduce a week numbering formula and then you'll be able to group into weeks more easily. Take a look at the WEEKNUM function in the Analysis ToolPak Addin. But note that there are other methods than the two ...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

Problems with HTML-import
When I import data from an HTML-file the values is not=20 numeric but text. It is shown with a little green sign=20 upper left i a cell. Has anyone a suggestion why this is happening cause I=20 di=B4n=B4t have the problem in Office 97? Are you concerned with the little green sign? If yes, it's excel 2002's way of showing you that something appears wrong. If you select the cell, you'll see a little "caution" icon near your cell. Click on it and you'll see what excel is warning you about. xl will even give you a chance to convert the text number to number number. ...

How to format the value in a cell?

Import & Export disabled from outlook 2003
The import & Export menu item is "greyed out" - does anyone know how to switch on this feature? Thanks Toby You need to be in the main Outlook window, not the Address Book window. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Toby asked: | The import & Export menu item is "greyed out" - does | anyone know how to switch on this feature? |...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...