formatting columns #2

Is there a way to format a column so that no number ever repeats? So if a
3rd party is entering an ID number, and it already exists, it won't let
them...

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Check out this web page of Chip Pearson:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm

--
HTH,

RD

"Chris Shearman" <chris.shearman@midwestwireless.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to format a column so that no number ever repeats? So if a
> 3rd party is entering an ID number, and it already exists, it won't let
> them...

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

negative number format

Freezing rows & columns
I have formatted my sheet perfectly, but when I freeze the appropriat section excel inserts a big line (to show whats frozen) thus disruptin my formatting. Is anyone aware of a means of freezing WITHOUT the line? CHEER ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can't hide the "freeze" line. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson So...

cannot empty Clipboard #2
Quite often, but not all the time, when I want to drag a cell to a different position, I get the message " cannot empty Clipboard" . Then I have to click on "OK" and everything is fine. This is very annoying and wasting a lot of time. What to do about it ?? Thanks for any help. Wolf [Zscheile] ...

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

HOw do i start outlook? #2
My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? Presumably it worked before? And the version is? You could try a repair using your Office or Outlook cd "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E1B2630-9B20-444F-BF65-6B7E41638450@microsoft.com... > My outlook doesn't go past the check name screen? what do I do? The Check Name function is part of a Microsoft Exchange account. Are you trying to connect to a Microsoft Exchange server? Or your ISP? Joe "mhabit" <mhabit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

freezing formatting

TOC Heading style 2
I am working in 2007 from someone else's doc from 2003 word. I will be saving in 97-2003. The styles shown in the home tab start Emphasis - Heading 1 - Normal - Strong (and others). I am trying to insert a TOC using the built in heading styles but I cannot see a Heading 2 or 3. How can I add the other headings to this group - is this a special style group added by the other author? TIA Dottie I opened this doc in 2003 word and was able to add the heading 2 there so I may have my answer for now. I would still like to know what I needed to do in 2007 word to make heading...

Negative number formatting

Outlook express columns
Hi In outlook express I've created a sub folder in the Sent Items folders but it shows the column format used by the Inbox folder. If I change the columns it changes the columns for all folders exept Sent Items. How do I set different folders to show different columns ? Thanks Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Out...

how to compare column?
How do I compare colume column A column B column C 22 33 B 22 14 12 3 27 45 B 55 40 How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A, indicate B in column C? Thank you. Put this in C1: =3DIF(B1>A1,"B","") and copy down as required. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 18, 12:33=A0am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote: > How do I compare colume > > column A =A0 =A0column B =A0 =A0column C > 22 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A033 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =...

I don't want row 1 as the column headings
This seems like a simple matter but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have typed my column headings in and they appear along row 1. I don't want the headings to be row 1 I want row one for entering the first row of data. How do I make row 1 truly row 1 and not the column headings. I am not asking how to make the row appear across each page, I have that already. thanks in advance. You can not change the column headings (except to numbers). However, you can use your col headings on row 1 and hide the row/column headings. But, they are still there. -- Don Guillett Micr...

averaging a column
I have a column with different values >.02 <4 <.05 4 >1 <1 How can I total & average these? Also how can I enter a >4 value in a column & not have it reconized as math formula? Thanks, Derrell ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Derrel Maybe I'm just missing something here. You can average and sum only numerical values. You can't average inequalities. It doesn't make sense If you want to enter >4 in a ...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How do I mail merge for postcards in MS Publisher 2 or 4 per page.
Can anyone help? Create a mail merge Step by step instructions http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052584251033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "reechemist" <reechemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6E75713-F19E-4AA3-81E8-98E0BFD795A5@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? ...

Canadian Payroll Tax updates #2
Just a heads up...as I donot see it here...or on the KB I just spent 3 hours updating 6 machines..... Which actually only took an hour...then we had to convert our Canadian Payroll files...then...Canadian payroll just disappeared from the users install...although..when logging in as SA it would be available... Seeing I have been running the Canadain Payroll for 5 + years now...and am well used to the "bugs" with the yearend updates....I remember seeing this error after an application version upgrade from 7.0 to 7.5...where no one other then SA could run payroll.....and I spen...

Trouble Printing Checks #2
I'm using Money 2004. I have a list of checks to be printed, but no 'Print Checks' on the left side panel. When I go the 'File' menu to print checks it gives me a "You don't have any accounts with checks to be printed." message. What can I do? David See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=91. "David" wrote: > What can I do? I would run a file repair to see if that will correct the number do indicate the number of checks that have been set to "print". "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

How to format the value in a cell?