Formatting Cells Question

Hi

I am having troubles with formatting cells in EXCEL 2003.

I have a column of many hundreds of  rows lthat contain data like
this:

01Jan12

on fist glance this looks like a date but it really is not.

EXCEL on the other automatically assumes it is a date and formats as
such.

2001-Jan-12

I have tried formatting as text, General and even experimented with
custom formats to no avail.

In the same column I have

03Mar1543

Which is dispolayed exactly as is.

How can I get EXCEL to simply display data like 01Jan12 exactly as is?
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You must format the cell as Text BEFORE typing any information into it.  An
alternative approach is to start the typing with an apostrophe (single
quote).  This tells Excel that the data is text and not to make any
adjustments.

The single quote does not actually appear in the cell, but is visible in the
formula bar.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007i

"John Corbin" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having troubles with formatting cells in EXCEL 2003.
>
> I have a column of many hundreds of  rows lthat contain data like
> this:
>
> 01Jan12
>
> on fist glance this looks like a date but it really is not.
>
> EXCEL on the other automatically assumes it is a date and formats as
> such.
>
> 2001-Jan-12
>
> I have tried formatting as text, General and even experimented with
> custom formats to no avail.
>
> In the same column I have
>
> 03Mar1543
>
> Which is dispolayed exactly as is.
>
> How can I get EXCEL to simply display data like 01Jan12 exactly as is?

0
GarysStudent (1572)
5/19/2008 7:38:05 PM
On May 19, 3:38=A0pm, Gary''s Student
<GarysStud...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> You must format the cell as Text BEFORE typing any information into it. =
=A0An
> alternative approach is to start the typing with an apostrophe (single
> quote). =A0This tells Excel that the data is text and not to make any
> adjustments.
>
> The single quote does not actually appear in the cell, but is visible in t=
he
> formula bar.
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu2007i
>

> "John Corbin" wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > I am having troubles with formatting cells in EXCEL 2003.
>
> > I have a column of many hundreds of =A0rows lthat contain data like
> > this:
>
> > 01Jan12
>
> > on fist glance this looks like a date but it really is not.
>
> > EXCEL on the other automatically assumes it is a date and formats as
> > such.
>
> > 2001-Jan-12
>
> > I have tried formatting as text, General and even experimented with
> > custom formats to no avail.
>
> > In the same column I have
>
> > 03Mar1543
>
> > Which is dispolayed exactly as is.
>
> > How can I get EXCEL to simply display data like 01Jan12 exactly as is?- =

OK...  Thanks

I am cutting and pasting from a site into a worksheet...

Formatting as text before hand does not work.

is there a custom format that I can set up ?
On May 19, 1:25=A0pm, John Corbin <JohnHabs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am having troubles with formatting cells in EXCEL 2003.
>
> I have a column of many hundreds of =A0rows lthat contain data like
> this:
>
> 01Jan12
>
> on fist glance this looks like a date but it really is not.
>
> EXCEL on the other automatically assumes it is a date and formats as
> such.
>
> 2001-Jan-12
>
> I have tried formatting as text, General and even experimented with
> custom formats to no avail.
>
> In the same column I have
>
> 03Mar1543
>
> Which is dispolayed exactly as is.
>
> How can I get EXCEL to simply display data like 01Jan12 exactly as is?

Try formating the cells that you will be pasting into as text first,
then paste into them using 'Paste Special... > Values'
0
gts3 (14)

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Tab Contol Question
I have a form that contains a Tab Control. I would like to setfocus to a specific control on each tab when the tab is activated, but can not find any event that provides this ability when the tab is selected. I can only find "On Click", "On Dbl Click", "On Mouse Down", "On Mouse Up", and "On Mouse Move" which applies to the entire tab area itself, not just the tab name. Am I outside of the box on this one? PosseJohn wrote: >I have a form that contains a Tab Control. > >I would like to setfocus to a specific con...

Negative number formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

A Loaded Question...
You folks have been great about answering my questions -- but I'd like to learn more on my own. IU bought John Green's Excel 2000 VBA Programmer's Reference Guide, but it is either too advanced or not laid out right for me. Any suggestions for a good book for beginning - intermediate? I'd like to be able to write macros more effectively. I suspect several of you are authors... any help appreciated. ./RN See one response at your original post. Randy Numbers wrote: > > You folks have been great about answering my questions -- but I'd like to > learn more on...

register questions
I have been using Money 2002 for some time and have had previous money versions. During the last 2 week time period my register quite going back to the beginning. Now all I get is the last 3 years worth of transactions. I have set the view to show all dates. The payees and transactions are still in the database, just need the register to REALLY show ALL dates. Comments? In microsoft.public.money, ballworth@comcast.net wrote: >I have been using Money 2002 for some time and have had >previous money versions. During the last 2 week time >period my register quite going back to t...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Unlocking The Positioning Grid And Printing Question
Hello, Thanks for previous help. Using Excel 97. Two questions, please. a. Something new; never had showup before. On the page that has the data for a chart, I now have blue dashed lines showing, I guess, what the actual page boundaries would be if I printed this data. How do I get rid of this, and also the light grey "Page No.s" that also show up ? b. On my chart, I have some text boxes. They seem to be locked to a specific grid spacing limiting the exact spots I would like them to be. How can I remove this locking, and move them, smoothly, to "anywhere I'd li...

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...