formatting cells #3

Question: Recently, when attempting to format cells, whether it's for
color fill or lines, boldface for type,and a variety of other cell
formats--I now get a warning box which says 'too many different cell
formats' even when I work with a duplicate of the spread sheet from
which I have cleared all formats.

Is there some way to correct this malfunction. I have worked for over
ten years with excel and have not had this problem. It appeared on my
G4 and now has carried over to my G5.
I'm running Excel 2004 11.3

0
f4urb9 (1)
12/22/2006 9:29:25 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Frank

Excel has a limit for the number of different formats it can handle. A
format is *any* difference so a font of 8 point is one, bold is another,
colour is another, fill another and so on, so it is relatively easy to hit
the limit (I suspect the copy you had was still storing any formatting).
To avoid it I always advise people to use styles under the format menu,
which then ensures that you are only using standardised formats.  Obviously
there are built-in ones but you can build your own too.

XL2007 lifts this limit considerably, but with a Mac this is of little use
to you.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"frank" <f4urb9@mac.com> wrote in message
> Question: Recently, when attempting to format cells, whether it's for
> color fill or lines, boldface for type,and a variety of other cell
> formats--I now get a warning box which says 'too many different cell
> formats' even when I work with a duplicate of the spread sheet from
> which I have cleared all formats.
>
> Is there some way to correct this malfunction. I have worked for over
> ten years with excel and have not had this problem. It appeared on my
> G4 and now has carried over to my G5.
> I'm running Excel 2004 11.3

Sum of specific cell from several worksheets
I have a workbook with 12 worksheets, one for each month of the year. I also want to add a "year to date" worksheet. Is there a simple way to take the sum and/or average of a specific cell, over the 12 month period, and carry it over to the same cell on the YTD worksheet? Example: I have a "total pay" in cell A1, on each of the 12 worksheets. I want the sum of all of the A1 cells to compute in cell A1 on the YTD worksheet. Ensure that the YTD sheet is placed outside of the group of 12 monthly sheets. Ensure that the 1st month (eg: Jan 09) and last month...

fonts #3
I cannot access bowl dingbats-4tt. >-----Original Message----- >I cannot access bowl dingbats-4tt. >. >How do I get response? By giving more details as to what the problem is. Like which version of Publisher are you using or what error message are you getting.......something more than "I cannot access bowl dingbats-4tt." -- The problem with resting on your laurels is that eventually you are sitting on dead branches. JoAnn "Willy" <downswilly@msn.com> wrote in message news:042f01c36cec$cbc0fcd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > > >-----Original Messa...

Shortcut for centring whatever is in a cell?
Is there any keyboard shortcut for centring whatever is inside a cell/selection of cells? For instance, in Word, "Ctrl E" will centre text on a line. Is there anything similar for Excel? Don't think there's a built-in shortcut key, but here's a play to set-up the centring for: CTRL+j (Try on a spare copy/new book) Press Alt+F11 (to go to VBE) Click Insert > Module Copy and paste the sub CentreAcrossCells below into the whitespace on the right '--------- Sub CentreAcrossCells() If Selection.Cells.Rows.Count > 1 Then GoTo Pop End If ...

how to put 3 text boxes on the form that...
I have a form based on following query SELECT qryData.SID, DateDiff("n",[timein],[timeout]) AS Minutes FROM Duration, qryData WHERE (((qryData.timeIn)>=[from]) AND ((qryData.timeOut)<=[to]+1));\ On the form, I want only 3 text boxes: 1. Uniq SID count 2. total recound count 3. total hours Thanks With a crosstab: TRANSFORM Count(*) AS c SELECT SUM(minutes) As TotalMinutes, COUNT(*) AS NumberOfRecords, COUNT(c) AS NumberOfDistinctSID FROM qry GROUP BY 1 PIVOT sid IN (null); Note you also get a fourth field, <>, which is to be disre...

Chart Question #3
is it possible to create a chart, skipping columns or rows I need to creat a chart using data from every other column and another using data from about every 5th row Any help appreciated David Hopper I'm open to correction on this, but I believe the best way to do this (assuming you don't want to delete the in between data, and resort the columns somehow) would be to create a macro that copies the data you want into the right format (probably on another sheet) and make the chart from there. Something along the lines of: sub MyCopy() dim NewSheet as worksheet dim OldSheet as w...

How do I copy a formula/paste w/o losing the cell content?
I have a formula such as "=sum(d34+d35)", I decided to move the location, but when I move the location the formula is now "=sum(d31+d31). I would like to move the first formula anywhere on the spreadsheet w/o it being changed. How do you do that? Is it an absolute value or something like that? Yes. The formula must be written as =sum($d$34+$d$35) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "CShannon" <CShannon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04CAD401-FDF9-46C0-BCF4-D8F28A410ABE@microsoft.com... > I ...

Excel
Is it possible to convert day of year to date format (assuming all date are 2004) e.g. 001 to 01 January 2002 or 366 to 31 December 200 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try =DATE(2004,1,your_value) Frank > Is it possible to convert day of year to date format (assuming all > dates are 2004) > e.g. 001 to 01 January 2002 > or 366 to 31 December 2004 > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Thanks Frank this works perfectl -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Mail Merge and conditional formatting Word 2007
Need some Help.. My disconnects mainly pertain to the use of e-mail merge in Word 2007. The data file I need to use currently resides in an Excel spreadsheet because of the need for several formulas. I can merge most of the data successfully with the exception of: =B7 Multiple rows of data per e-mail. =B7 Cannot edit individual e-mails prior to completing/sending the merge. (This is possible with a regular letter merge, but cannot do this with e-mail merge) =B7 Merging conditional formatting icons (if this is even possible, I don't know) We're using OnMa...

Single click selects multiple cells

Pivot Table border formatting and pivot chart formatting
I've haven't been able to eliminate the border formatting in a pivot table. Every time I change the page selection it defaults back to having borders. Does anyone know how to correct this? I've also been having the same problem with pivot charts. When I increase the width of a line in a chart and change the page selection it defaults back to the previous format. ...

Format all comments made now and in future to be size 14
How do you format all comments made, in all workbooks, to be 14 Times New Roman? How do you do it before, not after... Check out the below by Debra Dalgleish http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "annc5411" wrote: > How do you format all comments made, in all workbooks, to be 14 Times New > Roman? How do you do it before, not after... ...

Error Message When Opening Excel #3
Everytime i open Excel or an Excel document, i get the following error message: "SUMIF.XLA is already open. Reopening will cause any change you made to be discarded. Do you want to reopen SUMIF.XLA?" Whether i answer YES or NO, the application will open normally. It is just very annouying.. HELP -- W Walid You could try looking under Tools>Add ins... and then uncheck anything, then check back those that were checked one at a time, close and re-open excel, when the error comes back, that's the faulty add-in, either go to the vendor or unload the add-in if you don&#...

Make Cells Diagonal
How do I make the top "label row" of the columns diagonal (45 degree angle) instead of horizontal. I have seen it done but don't know how to do it. Thank you. ...

Place Cards using Business Card Format
Do you use the label size or business size category to prepare place cards. After the design is completed, I want to retain the design but be able to print 10 cards to a sheet and then be able to change information in each place card, i.e. name, table number, etc. You can design your cards then do a mail merge for the information if you put the information into a data base or a Publisher list. What version Publisher are you using? Help here Mail and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH062524751033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msa...

White Space in a Cell
Hello I'm collating a lot of spreadsheets that many other people have filled in onto one big spreadhseet template. My problem is that there is a free text cell and, because people dont know about the 'alt & enter' option, they've hit the space bar many many times make it look like a new point starts on a new line. In Word, you have the option of showing all the keyboard strokes so you can tell what people have done - but I'm finding I'm having to go into each free text cell and hit delete, then the cell magically shifts up so that there is no white space. Any...

connecting cells with connector lines
Hello! Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? Thanks Michael On Feb 25, 7:00=A0am, Michaelprem123 <michaelprem...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello! > > Is it possible in Excel (2007) to draw a connector line (with or > without an arrow ...) between two cells in a worksheet, so that the > line-tips will follow their cells even when the latter are moved ? > > Thanks > > Michael The line will automatically a...

How do I merge in a selected range of cells out of Excel?
copy / right click / insert copied cells ...

Summing up content from hyperlink cells
Anyone have any idea on how I can make Excel sum up the displayed values of several yperlink cells? This is an EXCELLENT question ! I will use it next semester. Let's say that in A1 thru A3 we have: =HYPERLINK("http://www.microsoft.com","15") each of the cells displays 15 However =SUM(A1:A3) shows 0 This is because the 15's are actually text values. They must be converted to numbers. Use: =SUM(--A1:A3) which must be entered as an array formula with CNTRL-SHIFT-ENTER rather than just ENTER -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200745 "Mort" wrote:...

find the last occurance of a character in a cell
I can use the Find function to find the 1st occurance of a charater in a cell. But, how to i find the last occurence of a character. in this case, the i am looking for " ", or <space>. The length of the string can vary, and the number of spaces can vary also. example: "Get dog food 55" There are 14 spaces (1+1+12). i am intersted in the location of the last, or 14th, space, the one that precedes the number 5 Thanks, Tonso Look in vba help index for INSTRREV -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com &...

1.2 to 3.0 upgrade issues
CRM not fully functional after upgrade, it seems like it is a permissions issue, possibly SQL user/login permissions? Certain categories such as KNowledge Base will load fine in the browser, however others like "Accounts" will not, and return the "an error has occurred, contact your system administrator" error message. I reviewed the IIS logs and they are showing 401 errors. When trying to verify licenses using Deployment manager (user manager) i get a http://crm/MSCRMServices/ is not responding error. When running the CRM Environment Diagnostics Wizard i receive th...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

Column Chart Conditional Formatting
I have a column chart that compares 2 y values against a common x value. I want to compare the second y value to the first, if it is greater then make that bar green, if less then red, if same grey. Any ideas on how to go about this? Thanks Adam Bush You'll need to do this by manipulating the actual data. Setup 3 dummy series, first with a static value of 10. On the chart, format these green, red, and grey respectively. Now, go back and change the static values to formulas similar to this: =IF(B2>A2,B2,NA()) =IF(B2<A2,B2,NA()) =IF(B2=A2,B2,NA()) If ...

Writing to a text file formatted as XML
Hi! I have a text file that looks like this: <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="db_server" value="someserver" /> <add key="db_database" value="somedatabase" /> </appSettings> </configuration> Now, I want to check if value for db_server is empty and if it is, I want to write the value. I am trying to use XmlTextWriter and XmlTextReader but being new to XML processing I don't know exactly how to do it. Can anyone help please? Regards, Kumar The easiest way would be to load the document in Xml...

How do I get one cell to record the time another cell was changed.
I know there's a simple solution to this, but I'm not seeing it. How can I set up a cell to update the time (or date) whenever another cell has data entered into it; e.g. cell A1 has new info entered into it, and cell A2 automatically updates the time of that update. Thanks in advance. One way http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Reigning in Seattle" wrote: > I know there's a simple solution to this, but I'm not seeing it. How can I > set up a cell to update the time (or date) whenever another cell has data > ente...

RPC over HTTP problem #3
Hi, All! My network configuration: DC1, DC2 and MX (MS Exchange 2003, sp1). All of them Windows Server 2003. What was done: In the registry on dc1 and dc2 was created a new key: "NSPI Interface protocol sequences" with value: ncacn_http:6004. MX was promoted to be a GC. Installed RPC over HTTP windows component. MX was changed to be RPC-HTTP back-end server. On the MX Default Web Site was installed cerificate from the local authority running on DC2. On the RPC virtual directory anonymous access and integrated windows authentication were disabled. In the registry of MX the key HK...