Format text in Excel 2003?

Is it possible to change the formatting of text in Excel?  I have a
database list that I downloaded from the city tax records and all of the
names and addresses are in all caps.  I'd like to change everything to
Title Case.  I copy and pasted the info into Word and formatted it
there, but when I tried to paste it back into Excel, the old formatting
showed back up.  Is there a way for me change the formatting in Excel?

TIA,
Kristie
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I just did an experiment: In two cells in Excel 2003 I entered MAIN STREET
and GRAND AVENUE. I copied these to Word and use Format | Change Case ->
Title to get Mina Street and Grand Avenue. When I copied and pasted these
back to Excel they stayed in Title (aka Proper) case. Wonder why yours
changes. In Excel, there is a difference between the displayed (formatted)
and the stored value but I do not think this is so in Word.

But if you cannot make it work, here is another way. Let's say you data base
is in A1:D200 of Sheet1. In A1 of Sheet2 enter =PROPER(Sheet1!A1) and copy
this formula across and down to fill A1:D200.

With the range still selected use Copy followed by Edit | Paste Special and
specify Values in the Paste Special dialog.

Now you have what you need and can delete Sheet1.

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Kristie Cochran" <kristiesews@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible to change the formatting of text in Excel?  I have a
> database list that I downloaded from the city tax records and all of the
> names and addresses are in all caps.  I'd like to change everything to
> Title Case.  I copy and pasted the info into Word and formatted it there,
> but when I tried to paste it back into Excel, the old formatting showed
> back up.  Is there a way for me change the formatting in Excel?
>
> TIA,
> Kristie

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

excel file size 0
Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows Explorer. Please could you tell me what kind of virus attack my file and the name of virus I would be glad if you reply as soon as possible Thank Dokles Better to run your AV to get this information. You dont have an up to date AV? Hmmm. Go to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online Scanner. Go to www.grisoft.com and DL their FREE AV "Dokles" <dokles@lycos.com> wrote in message news:3C539357-BDE2-4908-BCC1-ED456AB645F6@microsoft.com... : Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows ...

negative number format

Opening Attachments in 2003
This is so frustrating! In my line of work, I get numerous attachments of .zip, .doc, .txt and .pdf. I have NAV running and scanning all incoming email. Sometimes, when I right click on the attachment and select "Open" (or double click on the attachment), I get an "Attachment Security Warning" that makes me save the file to the hard drive, which I really don't always want to do. However, sometimes, I can open the file with no problem. Why would I even have a problem with a .txt file? Surely those can't carry viruses, can they? Can I over-ride this? Why...

sharing excel over internet
Hi, is it possible to share an excel file over internet (just like we can share an excel file over intranet by sharinf sharing workbook from tools menu) so that more than one person can work on it. Tks E& Rgds, Amag ...

Change date format to European format

How do I do dashboard charts in Excel
I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales and profit numbers and would like to show them like a dashboard ( two small circles for Budget and Forecast and a bigger one underneath those two for Actual. All 3 circles with a hand point to the numbers linked to the source data ). Can anyone tell me how to make a start? Thanks and regards Nick Hi Nick, Here are some examples of speedo type gauges. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Speedometer.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/gauge.htm Cheers Andy Nick Cheng wrote: > I have 3 sets (budget, forecast and actual) of sales a...

Formatting just some rows

Excel cannot find match
Using Excel 2003. Excel cannot find match for data that exists in spreadsheet when using the Find command. Any fixes? Perhaps Excel cannot find a match and doesn't need fixing. Your data may need fixing. Do you have extra spaces in the data? Are you looking for "entire cell contents" Are you looking for an exact match as in case-sensitive? Are you looking in formulas when you should be looking in values? See the available options under Edit>Find "Options>>" button. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:02:08 -0700, "GLH" <glhoo...

Outlook 2003 12-08-09
I get the following message when I try to launch a link from a email message This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your System Administrator. How do I correct this problem See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Joe Giambrone" <JoeGiambrone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C313722-B094-47A2-8847-081D42289D7C@microsoft.com... >I get th...

Save as Text File with Semi-Colon delimiter
I need to save a file from Excel 2000 to a text file with a semi colon delimiter. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many Thanks Mark I don't know if you can do this directly in Excel but it is pretty quick to do it using Excel and Word 1) Save file in Excel as "Text (Tab Deliminated) 2) Close file and select NO on warning message 3) Open text file in Wor 4) If your data was across row 1 then use Replace>More>Special>Tab Character and enter ; for "replace with If your data was down column A then use Replace>More>Special>Paragraph Mark an...

freezing formatting

exchange 2003 wont send mail
i have exchge2003 set it up about a week ago. and all was fine. until today when i notice no mail is going out. and can recieve mail from various place ok. but out going mail is just getting lost. The question is where to i look first to trouble shoot this. Now i can send mail enternally with no problem James, What is the problem? You state "and all was fine. until today when i notice no mail is going out." Then you state "Now i can send mail enternally with no problem" And you say you can receive email from outside, so I am confused as to what the problem is. Dan ...

Negative number formatting

Excel Upgrade question
We are using MS Office 2000 Professional. We would like to upgrade only the Excel 2000 to 2003. Can we just upgrade Excel without upgrading the whole MS Office suite? If so, should we expect any conflicts when we run MS Word 2000, PowerPoint 2000, etc or can Excel run nicely on it's own? Our systems are 2 year old XP Pro and Home versions. Thanks for any informative response. -- ADArnold ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ADArnold's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12106 View this thread: http://www.excelf...

I can not get the text to print
I have a floor plan that I ahve created with text describing structure and such. The problem I am having is that when I go to print preivew it shows the document as I intend it. When I print the page the shapes and structures are there but no text. What am I doing wrong? "J Hendriks" <J Hendriks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3E8F0B2-4252-46EB-8B84-F7FBED77FD61@microsoft.com... >I have a floor plan that I ahve created with text describing structure and > such. The problem I am having is that when I go to print preivew it shows > the > docume...

sp1 2003
hi all anyone run into any issues with sp1 for 2003 and exchange 2003? My server is also the DC (not SBS) Thanks Had no issues myself so far. You could run in an issue if you install the Security Control Wizard which is shipped with SP1 but needs to be installed in a separate step as described here: http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/003/sp1scw.htm Alex "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:58EA5F1A-2EB4-4678-9D25-62D3BCE77ABD@microsoft.com... > hi all anyone run into any issues with sp1 for 2003 and exchange 2003? My > server i...

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

Windows mail won't send ms excel attchments
windows mail won't send either MS Excel 97-2003 or 2007 formats if I try to send either by itself. I have to attach same file I want to send in both formats. Then, only the 97-2003 format actually gets through. Either way, I'm getting notice that Mail can't send one or more attachments. Any suggestions to help eliminate the glitch would be most appreciated. Windows Mail doesn't care what the attachment is. But make sure the file you are trying to attach is not open anywhere else (i.e. in Excel). Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "woodrow" wrot...

winver 5x(Build 2195:Service Pack 4)
I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it Hi Office 2000 conatins Word and Excel. Maybe re-run the installer from your original CDs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mitworld" <mitworld@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E69E0237-E02B-4162-A0B2-100C81AD8590@microsoft.com... > I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack > 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it ...

Urgent help: Money 2004 trial back to 2003
Hi. I have received money 2003 with my laptop last year and used it ever since. Resently I downloaded the 2004 trial version and used it for the monthly period. As I just use it for my home finances I didn't see a need to buy the 2004 version just yet and so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the 2003 version. The problem is that I can't open my money file anymore or restore the backup. I have tried installing the 2005 trial, but that doesn't work either. What can I do? please help... sam I can't speak for what's going on with M05. That should work, though you mig...

Conditional Formating Help

lookup text within string of text???
I need to look up "certain critera" within a string of characters, then return that "certain criterea" to a new column. Some examples of a strings of characters may look like these: K5J091509001 Sample PO#S881009 K55sample PO CarrieRJR TJ5 My "Certain Critera" I have listed on another sheet, named "REP ID" K5J S88 K55 RJR TJ5 How do I pull out the 3 characters of "Certain Criterea" from the string of text and copy or enter it into a new column? It's never consistant. This is the problem I'm having! Sales Reps enter...