format of number keeps changing

I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers,
 the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second
column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it
changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in
12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column
beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both
columns is the same.

Any ideas?????
0
lim37 (1)
11/20/2008 4:51:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Is the number more like

   1234567890123456

and it becomes

   1234567890123450

?? If so, you're running into XL's limit of 15 decimal digits of
precision. If you don't need to use the value in math, format the cells
as Text, or prefix them with an apostrophe.

In article <A36796E7-E87B-4B8B-99DC-661DC9E0BA3F@microsoft.com>,
 lim37 <lim37@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers,
>  the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second
> column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it
> changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in
> 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column
> beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both
> columns is the same.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
11/20/2008 5:10:46 PM
Hi,

This behavior is inconsistant with normal Excel behavior assuming both
columns are really formatted to the same formats.

What exactly are the numbers you are entering?

1. Excel stores number up to 15 digits after that is displays 0's regardless
of how many digits you type
2. There could be a VBA routine which is modifying the entry.  Check to see
if there is any code in your file.

If this helps, please click the yes button.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"lim37" wrote:

> I have an excel spreadsheet and in 2 of the columns i have a list of numbers,
>  the format of the cells for each column are the same but on the second
> column when i type in a number and hit enter to go to the cell below it
> changes the digit at the end of the number to a zero, for example if i put in
> 12345 when i hit enter it changes to 12340, this doesnt happen on the column
> beside it even thought the formatting of the numbers for each cell in both
> columns is the same.
>
> Any ideas?????

how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the.
how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the table? I know it is possible if you change your table, but it is not very convenient. Thanks You can change the order of the series: double click a series, then rearrange the series in the Series Order tab. If you need to change the left-right order of categories along the X axis of a chart, you pretty much have to modify the table. If the table is for display, you could chart from a separate table, both tables linked to the same source data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutor...

How to Change Language of Dates in Outlook Express
I work on the Occupied West Bank, but for some reason my computer thinks it's in South Africa and uses Afrikaans for the outgoing date in OE. I would like to change the language of OE to English, but I can't figure out how. The Help says to get a language encoding download from the Explorer homepage under international, but I can't find it. In any case, that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, since all I am asking for is Microsoft's native language. I am just a regular user, so please be as clear as possible if you have any ideas. Thanks much, Katherine F...

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Changes to Data on a Worksheet
I have a data entry sheet (Excel 2000) and a "store" sheet. The info on the data entry sheet is saved on a single row in the store sheet. I need to detect whether any changes have been made to the details on the data entry page and currently do this by concatenating every data cell on the data sheet and comparing it to the concatenated cells on the corresponding row in the store. Is there an easier way to detect whether any changes have been made on the data entry page? Thanks for any help. Brian Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H...

Conditional Formating Help

ADC changing display name of an inbox
Hello all I have the ADC up and running as i am in the middle of a migration to 2003 exchange. i need to chagne the alias anddisplay name a user because her last name changed. I renamed the account in ADUC, changed the Display name and the Alias, but when i send an email locally or to the net it still shows her old last name. Her inbox and user account are on the AD domain, so i cant understand if i rename the accoutn change the display and alias why when i send an email it still shows her original last name. Do i need to make this change on the 5.5 server? Many thanks Have you tri...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

Posting setup
Our client has noticed some flaws in the Posting Setup window. When you choose the series (eg. Purchasing) and Origin All, it always defaults to certain fields. For example, the Posting Date From is always defaulted to Batch. If you have selected Transactions for all the purchasing windows, and then you exit this window by clicking on OK, it actually overwrites all the windows so that they are all using Posting Date From Batch instead of Transaction. This raises concerns with our client and they believe that it needs to be improved. This has caused problems several times and they ha...

How to format the value in a cell?

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

How to change &amp; to & in string?
All, I receive an xml doc with an element which contains a &amp; in the data. I am attempting to insert the data into a SQL Server database and I want to convert the &amp; to a "&" character before I perform the insert. Is the a way in VB.NET to perform this? -Rich Rich Wallace wrote: > I receive an xml doc with an element which contains a &amp; in the data. I > am attempting to insert the data into a SQL Server database and I want to > convert the &amp; to a "&" character before I perform the insert. Is the a > way in VB.NET to...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Changed Data array #4
Anyone?? BUm -- Scottm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scottmk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=170 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27290 ...