Format of data import from a database

I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS
Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text
field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the
formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter.

Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to
click in each cell to force the formatting to work?  This spreadsheet as
over 1500 rows of data.  I get this every time I export data from either SQL
Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
~John

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

John

This usually works........

Format an empty cell to General or Number.

Copy that cell.

Select all other data cells and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:55:04 -0700, "John Conklin"
<john.conklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS
>Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text
>field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the
>formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter.
>
>Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to
>click in each cell to force the formatting to work?  This spreadsheet as
>over 1500 rows of data.  I get this every time I export data from either SQL
>Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database.
>
>Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>~John

0
Gord
2/10/2005 5:41:23 PM
You are wonderful!!!

That does exactly what I needed.

Thank you so much for your help.

~John
> John
>
> This usually works........
>
> Format an empty cell to General or Number.
>
> Copy that cell.
>
> Select all other data cells and Paste Special>Add>OK>Esc.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:55:04 -0700, "John Conklin"
> <john.conklin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a spreadsheet that has data imported from SQL Server or even MS
> >Access that has dollar amount fields. The field is coming over as a text
> >field and even if I format the cells as currency it won't apply the
> >formatting until I actually double click in the cell and press enter.
> >
> >Is there a way to fix this for the entire spreadsheet so I don't have to
> >click in each cell to force the formatting to work?  This spreadsheet as
> >over 1500 rows of data.  I get this every time I export data from either
SQL
> >Server 2000 or Microsoft Access Database.
> >
> >Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >~John

how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the.
how do you change the data order in a graph without modifying the table? I know it is possible if you change your table, but it is not very convenient. Thanks You can change the order of the series: double click a series, then rearrange the series in the Series Order tab. If you need to change the left-right order of categories along the X axis of a chart, you pretty much have to modify the table. If the table is for display, you could chart from a separate table, both tables linked to the same source data. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutor...

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

Inventory Item Import
Is there a way to import inventory items in RMS? In situations with a large number of items, this would be much more efficient than having to manually set up each item in RMS. If there is a way to import inventory records, what file formats are supported? Also, where in RMS is the utility that will do this (I have looked, but can't seem to find it). Thanks for your assistance. Your reseller can get you a copy of an import utility that is available via CustomerSource (for customers on a maintenance plan). That utility will import from delimited files such as .csv, .txt (tab-delimi...

freezing formatting

How To Prepare An Access Database For Shared Use?
Right out of the box (immediately after Access installation) if I create a table and form for data entry will multiple data entry people be able to share this form? Do I have to first prepare the database in some manner to be shared? Are Access databases exclusive by default? "David Portwood" <Mondrogan@comcast.net> wrote in message news:4622d703$0$9953$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > Right out of the box (immediately after Access installation) if I create a > table and form for data entry will multiple data entry people be able to > share this form? Do I have to fir...

Negative number formatting

Permission probs w/Split database for Access97 & Access2003 Multi-
I've successfully split an Access 97 database and set up an identical front end in Access2003. I've verified multiple times that my user group permissions are defined identically for the tables in the back end as well as the tables and all other objects in both versions (97 & 2003) of the front end. However, with the Accesss 2003 front end, I've determined that users in Groups with no Administrator nor "Modify design" rights to any database objects can if fact change object permissions. I don't have the problem with the Access97 front end nor the back end...

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Changes to Data on a Worksheet
I have a data entry sheet (Excel 2000) and a "store" sheet. The info on the data entry sheet is saved on a single row in the store sheet. I need to detect whether any changes have been made to the details on the data entry page and currently do this by concatenating every data cell on the data sheet and comparing it to the concatenated cells on the corresponding row in the store. Is there an easier way to detect whether any changes have been made on the data entry page? Thanks for any help. Brian Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "H...

Data missing
I linked an excel file to an access database. One of the data fields is showing #Num! in the column instead of the data.while saving this to a text format, I am losing the data. Can anyone help ? ...

Grouping sales data into weekly buckets
I have sales data that I want to analyze in weekly buckets. I can group all sales in a month by using the MONTH formula. (MONTH(actual invoice date)). I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has a suggestion for grouping sales by week. Some type of formula that has an output stating the week of the actual invoice date. Any suggestions? Hi John! You'll really need to introduce a week numbering formula and then you'll be able to group into weeks more easily. Take a look at the WEEKNUM function in the Analysis ToolPak Addin. But note that there are other methods than the two ...

size of database after backup
Hello NG, after a full backup with HP Data Protector i have the problem that the size of my priv database grows from 6 GB to 14,5 GB. The online defrag says that there is 6 GB free space. After an offline defrag the size of database ist 6 GB again. Has anyone help? Greetings Marco ...

merging data
Hi all:) I'm new to this forum and to to Excel (2000) and not sure that I'm asking this question correctly but here is what I'm trying to do. The data on my work sheet is pasted from another sorce and includes information: name, ref #, time, date. I use this information looking up the status of an order and enter a "status note" in 5th (last) column. As the day progresses, the source that the data comes from is copied and pasted under the current list I already have going and much of the data on the lower list is a duplicate. How can I merge the to list so that I hav...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Import & Export disabled from outlook 2003
The import & Export menu item is "greyed out" - does anyone know how to switch on this feature? Thanks Toby You need to be in the main Outlook window, not the Address Book window. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Toby asked: | The import & Export menu item is "greyed out" - does | anyone know how to switch on this feature? |...

How to format the value in a cell?