format cells #4

hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or
'number' or even 'text'?
i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to
09.dec. is this possible?
thanks.
(i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers
in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is
exported)

--
notrace2004
notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Open a new workbook, select all the cells and format as Text (not General,
that is what you have now). Save that workbook as a template file (file type
xlt) in the XLStart directory.

Think hard before you do it though, all text means that every time you enter
a formula you will have to change the cell first to General, else it won't
work.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"notrace2004" <notrace2004.28ekym_1148627401.0879@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or
> 'number' or even 'text'?
> i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to
> 09.dec. is this possible?
> thanks.
> (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers
> in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is
> exported)
>

> --
> notrace2004
> notrace2004's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=545752

0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
5/26/2006 8:43:26 AM
thanks... i did that and it works.. i modified the template and now the
default format of the cells is text. it works fine if i open excel and
i type lets say 4/4, but when i copy/paste from somewhere '4/4' i still
have the same problem.. excel corrects it to 04.apr despite the format
of the cell which is now text.. what can i do???

--
notrace2004
notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=545752

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Format Smartlist field

Enforce format

winver 5x(Build 2195:Service Pack 4)
I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it Hi Office 2000 conatins Word and Excel. Maybe re-run the installer from your original CDs -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mitworld" <mitworld@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E69E0237-E02B-4162-A0B2-100C81AD8590@microsoft.com... > I've windows XP professional, office 2000 (winver 5x(Build 2195: Service Pack > 4), but have no Excell, Access or winword exe. files. How do I get it ...

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

How do I mail merge for postcards in MS Publisher 2 or 4 per page.
Can anyone help? Create a mail merge Step by step instructions http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP052584251033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "reechemist" <reechemist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6E75713-F19E-4AA3-81E8-98E0BFD795A5@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? ...

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Changed Data array #4
Anyone?? BUm -- Scottm ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Scottmk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=170 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27290 ...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...