Format cell to display numbers instaed of ###'s

Not sure how to querry this in the KB....  but I want to be able to have a
number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is
required to display it properly.  Same with a date/time entry.  In cells
where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining cells
are empty of data.  No so with number's.

How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the cell?
If
I place an apostrophe '  in front of the number, or format the cell as plain
text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value.

Thanks,

David...

0
DavidJ726 (42)
9/4/2004 2:31:59 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

David,

I'm not too sure what you're asking.  I think you already know how to format
fractions so they appear as fractions (Format - Cells - Number - Fraction).
But numbers, if they don't entirely fit in the cell, are deliberately shown
as ###, rather than show a partial number, which would convey the wrong
value.  What exactly do you want it to do if it doesn't fit? Lop off part of
it?  Spill into the next cell?  It won't do any of these things with
numbers.

One possibility is to format the cell for text, or use the apostrophe as you
did, then in any formula that refers to it, use VALUE(cell) to convert it
back to a number.  Actually, this isn't necessary in some situations, as
Excel will coerce it to a number as necessary.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
> Not sure how to querry this in the KB....  but I want to be able to have a
> number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is
> required to display it properly.  Same with a date/time entry.  In cells
> where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining cells
> are empty of data.  No so with number's.
>
> How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the cell?
> If
> I place an apostrophe '  in front of the number, or format the cell as
plain
> text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David...

0
nothanks4548 (968)
9/4/2004 2:44:13 AM
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:31:59 -0700, "DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com>
wrote:

>Not sure how to querry this in the KB....  but I want to be able to have a
>number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is
>required to display it properly.  Same with a date/time entry.  In cells
>where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining cells
>are empty of data.  No so with number's.
>
>How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the cell?
>If
>I place an apostrophe '  in front of the number, or format the cell as plain
>text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value.

The only way I know to do that, retaining the numeric feature, is to use
Format/Cells/Alignment Shrink to Fit.

Making it text -- some but not all Excel functions and operators may translate
it automatically, but you may not be able to count on that.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
9/4/2004 2:57:09 AM
Earl,

You are correct, I have the cells properly formated, but I'm working in a
cell that is 25 pixels wide and the cell needs to be 40+ wide in order to
display various values correctly.   What I want / need is to spill over into
the next cell without (hopefully) converting it to a text value.  However,
if I understand you correctly, (and I'm not familiar on how to use
VALUE(cell))  I can format the cell as we've described, and in a cell where
calculations are being done, I can somehow force it to treat that cell as a
numerical value...?

My situation;  Column P which is set to 25 pixels, is where the numbers I'm
entering are displayed as ###'s.   The values in P6 & P7 are the before &
after weights of a product, and R7 would show the difference as a
percentage.  So I want the values of P6 & P7 to spill across into Q6 & Q7.
Maybe the easist way to accomplish this is resizing some columns, which is
what I didn't want to do... <sigh>

I didn't realize numbers couldn't spill over.  I guess I always did column
width adjustments because my needs allowed it...

Thanks,

David...

"Earl Kiosterud" <nothanks@nospam.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> I'm not too sure what you're asking.  I think you already know how to
> format
> fractions so they appear as fractions (Format - Cells - Number -
> Fraction).
> But numbers, if they don't entirely fit in the cell, are deliberately
> shown
> as ###, rather than show a partial number, which would convey the wrong
> value.  What exactly do you want it to do if it doesn't fit? Lop off part
> of
> it?  Spill into the next cell?  It won't do any of these things with
> numbers.
>
> One possibility is to format the cell for text, or use the apostrophe as
> you
> did, then in any formula that refers to it, use VALUE(cell) to convert it
> back to a number.  Actually, this isn't necessary in some situations, as
> Excel will coerce it to a number as necessary.
>
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure how to querry this in the KB....  but I want to be able to have
>> number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is
>> required to display it properly.  Same with a date/time entry.  In cells
>> where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining
>> cells
>> are empty of data.  No so with number's.
>>
>> How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the cell?
>> If
>> I place an apostrophe '  in front of the number, or format the cell as
> plain
>> text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David...

0
DavidJ726 (42)
9/4/2004 3:48:10 AM
David,

In many cases, the cell, even though text, will be coerced into numeric in a
formula if seen with mathematical operators, e.g.:  =P7-P6.  If it didn't
want to do that, you'd write =VALUE(P7) - VALUE(P6).  Now you can either
format the cell in advance as text, or precede it with the apostrophe.  In
either case, it can spill into the next cell, and still be used as numbers
in formulas.
--

> [...]
> > Earl Kiosterud
> > mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
> >
> > "DavidJ726" <DavidJ726@hasnoaddress.com> wrote in message
> >> Not sure how to querry this in the KB....  but I want to be able to
have
> >> number such as 4 1/8 in a cell that is set at width less than what is
> >> required to display it properly.  Same with a date/time entry.  In
cells
> >> where I'm entering text, the text will "spill" over if the adjoining
> >> cells
> >> are empty of data.  No so with number's.
> >>
> >> How do I change it so it will display as 4 1/8 without widening the
cell?
> >> If
> >> I place an apostrophe '  in front of the number, or format the cell as
> > plain
> >> text it will work, but I really need to retain the numeric value.

0
nothanks4548 (968)

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

display multiplte email addresses and inboxes just like thunderbi
I am trying to convert from Thunderbird to Outlook. I want to have my three email accounts (different addresses) displayed at the same time. I also would like to have three separate inboxes like Thunderbird. Any help? Seperate inboxes / default folders is an option in Outlook 2007, you can have as many email accounts as you like, available all the time "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B079E76-E946-49E9-9E99-D87708AF00C4@microsoft.com... >I am trying to convert from Thunderbird to Outlook. I want to have my three > email accounts (diff...

Conditional Formating Help

ADC changing display name of an inbox
Hello all I have the ADC up and running as i am in the middle of a migration to 2003 exchange. i need to chagne the alias anddisplay name a user because her last name changed. I renamed the account in ADUC, changed the Display name and the Alias, but when i send an email locally or to the net it still shows her old last name. Her inbox and user account are on the AD domain, so i cant understand if i rename the accoutn change the display and alias why when i send an email it still shows her original last name. Do i need to make this change on the 5.5 server? Many thanks Have you tri...

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...

Finding the Cell Reference for the minimum value of a data list.
I am trying to figure out how to automatically refernce a location of a cell (ex. C5)which has been calculated to be the minimum value of a set of data. If I can reference the row of this cell absolutely, then I want to use that value as the beginning data reference point for both the X and Y data values of an XY scatter plot. You can reference it using the MATCH function with INDEX or OFFSET: I.e., the starting cell might be referenced as: INDEX(C:C, MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0)) while the range to plot could be referenced as: OFFSET(C1,MATCH(MIN(C:C),C:C, 0)-1,0,numrows,numcol...