forcing user input into cells

howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel
have a bit of a background in javascript programming

what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int
a specific cell
if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a
error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor
they can continue on with entry into other cells

any help would be much appreciated
-Thank

--
georgi
georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1644

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If you have the sheet protected and certain individual cells that a user
would enter info in not protected, and if the user is using the tab key it
will take them to to next unprotected cell.

Saying that if the user is indeed using the tab key they will eventually
come to the cell that you are talking about.

You could put a comment in through data validation telling the user that
they must enter in some type of info.

I am sure there is a better way, but I am new to all of this myself.

John Kitchens

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16440
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278012

0
mrgolf30 (8)

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

Cell Validation for Decimals
How can I set the cell validation of a list of cells to have a value(less than 4 Decimal place)? Thanks. Ringo Tan "ringo" <ringo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > How can I set the cell validation of a list of cells to have a > value(less than 4 Decimal place)? (Adapted from a previous post by Ron Rosenfeld) Select the list of cells, say A1:A10 Click Data > Validation > Settings tab Select "Custom" under Allow: Put in the "Formula:" box: =(A1*10^3)=INT(A1*10^3) Click OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <...

linked cells #2
On previous versions of Excel, I was able to double-click on a linked cell which would take me directly to the souce cell. Now when I double-click all I see is the formula. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to double-click on a cell and be taken to the source cell? Go to: <Tools> <Options> <Edit> tab, And *uncheck* "Edit Directly In Cell". -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Rob Byledbal" <rbyledbal@ya...

Locking The Outlook so user can not change the view.
Is there any way to lock Outlook 2000 and or Outlook 2003 so user can not change the view setting under the View Menu? I have several user that keeps changing the view and ask me to change it back. They will swear that they did not change. I will to lock it down so they can not loose any toolbar or anything else. Thank you Belmont ...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

convert input file with list of paths+filenames output to list of
I have a text file containing a list of path or folder names and filenames, and I wish to convert it to a list of path or folder name only -- using .vbs language (wscript or cscript) Example, the content of the input text file. C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Chong\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Mona\Desktop\abcDEX.xls C:\Users\Siva\Desktop\abc.xls C:\Users\Thong\Desktop\adrbc.xls Output text file : C:\Users\Alex\Desktop C:\Users\Chong\Desktop C:\Users\Mona\Desktop C:\Users\Siva\Desktop C:\Users\Thong\Desktop Please use simple coding. Thank you very much in advanc...

Chainge cell values to formuals
How to I chainge the value a cell desplays to be the formual of the cell/ <Ctrl> <~> Or, some people say: <Ctrl> <`> Any way, <Ctrl> plus the key to the left of the "1" and "!" key. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "ClimbGuy" <ClimbGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ABC84E3C-0BAB-40B3-B8FB-ABAFCA8B2F54@microsoft.com... How to I chainge the value a cell desplays to be...

Problem with Domain user as local administrator
Hello, I have a problem with the authentication of users to access services. I have a domain with Windows 2008 R2 and all servers are W2008 R2. I want to add a domain user as local administrator into the server and not appears on the list, but says if it is. If I logon on that server with the domain user works fine but does not have administrator access because some complement is not allowed. I turned off the UAC and so the server can access. The problem comes when the user wants to access such a SQL and indicates that the domain is not trusted. It does not seem to ha...

how do i count text cells in excel based on variable criteria?
I need a formula that will recalculate when the variables are changed. For example, I will input the variables for date "1/26/2010" and BU "09" and I want a count of how many assets that meet those criterion. For Acctg Date: 1/26/2010 BU: 09 Asset Count:_____ BU Acctg Date 08 1/25/2010 06 1/26/2010 06 1/25/2010 09 1/25/2010 09 1/26/2010 09 1/26/2010 Assuming in your example the date is in B1, the BU is in B2 and your data is in A5 to B10, enter this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A5:A10=B2)*(B5:B10=B1)) "anmaka57" wrote: > I need a for...

How do I get entries over 1000 characters to display in a cell?
I'm converting a paper form to an excel version. I need one cell for the user to enter a narrative. I want the printed copy to show the full entry. I think 2000 to 2500 characters is probably long enough for most users. The problem I'm running into is text that stops wrapping after about a 1000 characters. Thanks for any help. Whilst there is the method of inserting ctrl/enter characters to reflec more text you will find the odd user who will demand that 'more characters are displayed. This, of course, also applies to printing. One method is to insert 31 following r...

user receives mail that is addressed to a different user
I have a user who receives mail that is addressed to a different user. My user: joe_user@domain.com receives mail for henry_hu@domain.com. I have blocked henry_hu@domain.com in the recipient filtering setting and have also enabled "filter recipients who are not in the directory". Henry Hu does not exist in AD. Any ideas how this happens? How to block it? If I go to an external account and send to henry_hu@domain.com it is immediately rejected. The filter is enabled, on both servers. I have a single front-end and a single back-end. Any insight into this matter would be ...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

Problem emailing verizon users
I've used Windows Mail under Vista successfully for several years. Now, in the last 2-3 months, people with verizon.net email addresses no longer receive my emails. Everyone else does. I can receieve their email, however. Can anyone help with this? What happens when you reply to a received message? Does it never get there? Do you get a rejection message? Did the recipient check the server side spam filters? steve "Chaspo" <Chaspo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3ECE62F1-CA4F-4804-86BA-B77FDA82D343@microsoft.com... > I've use...

User's Guide--can we get this thing some other way?
I do not have broadband and using the user's guide the M05 is driving me crazy. Is there any other way to get the info so that old fogies like me who actually prefer to read a book can function? Apparently Most Users Prefer(tm) it this way... "Donna Ford" <cdford@integrity.com> wrote in message news:OKm4tJWNFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > I do not have broadband and using the user's guide the M05 is driving me > crazy. Is there any other way to get the info so that old fogies like me who > actually prefer to read a book can function? Gina Carrillo has...

Splitting leads to multiple users.......
Hi, I have sales person who has 50 leads. and i have 5 users now i want all these leads to distribute among all the users of 10 each. with proper contact info of each lead... how can i achiev this with MSCRM1.2 without any integration... Regards, Richard, You can multi-select (<CTLR>-click) the leads from the list view and the use Action..Assign to assign them to another rep. Matt On 16 Feb 2004 01:01:10 -0800, iamiamiam_77@yahoo.com (Richard I.P) wrote: Hi, I have sales person who has 50 leads. and i have 5 users now i want all these leads to distribute among all the users of 10...

Unknown User when Sending Appointments on Behalf.
To all- I have a secreatry who sets up appointments on behalf of a partner here. However, when recipients accept or reject the appointment the message gets bounced back saying The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. Her account is functioning properly otherwise. Using Exchange 2000 in conjuction w/ Outlook 2002. ...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

How can a user view a MSCRM custom report through SharePoint without being a user of MSCRM?
Is it possible to achieve the followings: Question: 1 We create a custom report with the data from MSCRM 3 and upload the rdl file in the reports in IIS. We have people who are not the users of MSCRM but the users of SBS domain and can access SharePoint Services. We now want to create a link for this report in SharePoint site so that these users can view this report even though they are not the users of MSCRM In other words, how can a user access a custom report developed on MSCRM database through SharePoint without being a user of MSCRM? Question: 2 We need to change the format of the q...

kicking off a prompt box requiring input when any cell in column C is keyed in
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C402D8.C91DEE70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm exploring the possibility of having a prompt box pop up when any = cell has data keyed in it in column C. For instance if Column C was requiring and answer such as Yes/No and = "yes" was keyed in (or selected from a drop down box), how could I bring = up a box that would force the entering on required data in the adjacent = columns D:F?=20 TIA, AlanN ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C402D8....

crm email for remote users
Hi, I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The remote users use a hosted POP3 email service, not Exchange. Can Sales for Outlook be configured so that when a CRM email is sent, the email uses their hosted service's profile in Outlook? Thanks No this will not work CRM will only work against an exchange server. "Gene Marks" <gene@marksgroup.net> wrote in message news:OEg340vPDHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The > remote users use a hosted POP3 email ...

Clarification on EWS/Exchange 2007 free/busy issue
Clarification: Free/busy is denied to any user that has been granted specific access to a user's calendar when EWS is used to add/change a permission for a person or group. If the user is a member of a security group listed with access to the calendars, all users in the group will be denied access to free/busy to the calendar. We've discovered that when a user uses EWS (version 13.0.3) to modify calendar permissions (Exchange 2007) on his/her calendar that this causes an issue where the free/busy info is no longer available to any user listed/granted specific access to the u...

Repeat Data from Cell Above
Hello All: I have a report that has been imported in to XL and am trying to wor with the data but have a pain staking task ahead. Example: Serial No TitleName Units OrderNo 35270 International Views 20 123 15 667 18 445 50 552 41155 RoloText 12 124 My goal is to have the TitleName repeat in the blank cells, as th values in the adj. cells belong to TitleName. TIA, Dheera -- Dheeraj_ -----------------------------------------------------------...

In Cell Editing
Hi there: Been using Excel for years but haven't asked this question until now... Could have saved myself a few days likely! Anyway, say I type BACON in a cell and press enter or tab - the focus moves to the cell below. If I arrow back up to the cell that has BACON in it, how do I start editing it without double clicking on it with the mouse? I don't want to delete BACON and start again, I want to edit BACON. After I'm done, I want to eat bacon. haha Thanks Press F2 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please, for everyone's benefit keep the discussion in ...

Data Validation to exclude blank cells
Hi, Please help... I have a list spreadsheet with invoice details on it. SHEET 1 - Column A lists invoice numbers. Column B lists individual items on the invoice (i.e. parts sold). Further information in column C to F (invoice date, amounts, etc) On SHEET 2, I want to create a validation list which you can use to select invoice numbers. Once an invoice number is selected, vlookup will be used to pull through information in column C to F. I know how to use vlookup, and to create custom lists so there is no problem there. The problem I do have is column A has blanks in it (i...

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...