Forcing a zero

Is there anyway to make a field that has a zero at the front of it?

28377310874
028377310874

Meaning, I want the second of the above to show, not the first.

0
John
12/17/2009 3:14:34 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

18 Replies
744 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

Hi John,

Format the cell with the number format you require. In this case:
000000000000

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"John Persico" <reply@newsgroup.com> wrote in message news:e2rOQcsfKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Is there anyway to make a field that has a zero at the front of it?
> 
> 28377310874
> 028377310874
> 
> Meaning, I want the second of the above to show, not the first.
>
0
macropod
12/17/2009 4:47:04 AM
On Dec 17, 9:47=A0am, "macropod" <macro...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Format the cell with the number format you require. In this case:
> 000000000000
>
> --
> Cheers
> macropod
> [Microsoft MVP - Word]
>
>
>
> "John Persico" <re...@newsgroup.com> wrote in messagenews:e2rOQcsfKHA.164=
8@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > Is there anyway to make a field that has a zero at the front of it?
>
> > 28377310874
> > 028377310874
>
> > Meaning, I want the second of the above to show, not the first.- Hide q=
uoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

right click, select format cells, select custom and enter 12 zeros in
Type:.
0
Sane
12/17/2009 5:00:11 AM
John Persico wrote:
> Is there anyway to make a field that has a zero at the front of it?
>
> 28377310874
> 028377310874
>
> Meaning, I want the second of the above to show, not the first.

Start with an apostrophe...

'028377310874

-- 
Jordon
0
Jordon
12/17/2009 7:32:09 PM
Hi Jordon,

Unfortunately, that converts the number to text, which makes sorting, using it in calculations, etc, rather more complex than it 
needs to be.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:uWX8680fKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> John Persico wrote:
>> Is there anyway to make a field that has a zero at the front of it?
>>
>> 28377310874
>> 028377310874
>>
>> Meaning, I want the second of the above to show, not the first.
>
> Start with an apostrophe...
>
> '028377310874
>
> -- 
> Jordon 

0
macropod
12/17/2009 10:09:32 PM
macropod wrote:
> Hi Jordon,
>
> Unfortunately, that converts the number to text, which makes sorting,
> using it in calculations, etc, rather more complex than it needs to be.

When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
to your post strips out everything below your
signature and makes it difficult to understand. If
you insist on top posting you shouldn't use the
delimiter. Someone reading your post tomorrow,
that had read my post today, won't have any idea
what you're talking about.

I can't imagine having to do calculations on a number
that isn't a number. What kind of numbers starts with
a zero besides account numbers, product codes and that
sort of thing? Sorting would be an issue though (if a
sort is even needed).

-- 
Jordon
0
Jordon
12/17/2009 11:12:33 PM
Hi Jordon,

> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
> to your post strips out everything below your
> signature 

Not in my experience ...

The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own post.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:eTtHF42fKHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> macropod wrote:
>> Hi Jordon,
>>
>> Unfortunately, that converts the number to text, which makes sorting,
>> using it in calculations, etc, rather more complex than it needs to be.
> 
> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
> to your post strips out everything below your
> signature and makes it difficult to understand. If
> you insist on top posting you shouldn't use the
> delimiter. Someone reading your post tomorrow,
> that had read my post today, won't have any idea
> what you're talking about.
> 
> I can't imagine having to do calculations on a number
> that isn't a number. What kind of numbers starts with
> a zero besides account numbers, product codes and that
> sort of thing? Sorting would be an issue though (if a
> sort is even needed).
> 
> -- 
> Jordon
0
macropod
12/18/2009 3:26:10 AM
It does for any newsreader that honors that convention. Notice that your 
sig and everything after it is missing from this.

macropod wrote:
> Hi Jordon,
> 
>> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
>> to your post strips out everything below your
>> signature 
> 
> 
> Not in my experience ...
> 
> The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own post.
> 

0
Bob
12/18/2009 2:13:31 PM
macropod wrote:
> Hi Jordon,
>
>> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
>> to your post strips out everything below your
>> signature
>
> Not in my experience ...
>
> The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own post.
>

I haven't stripped anything from this. My newsreader did.
Newsreaders that honor a sig delimiter strip everything
after a dash dash space. That's its intended purpose.

http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et030601.htm

-- 
Jordon
0
Jordon
12/18/2009 3:23:50 PM
See Chip Pearson website for information regarding "Top or Bottom " posting.
I prefer top posting.(Nothing is missing)
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.asp
Regards
John

"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message 
news:OdOZ0W$fKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> macropod wrote:
>> Hi Jordon,
>>
>>> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
>>> to your post strips out everything below your
>>> signature
>>
>> Not in my experience ...
>>
>> The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own post.
>>
>
> I haven't stripped anything from this. My newsreader did.
> Newsreaders that honor a sig delimiter strip everything
> after a dash dash space. That's its intended purpose.
>
> http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et030601.htm
>
> -- 
> Jordon 

0
John
12/18/2009 6:33:12 PM
I don't really care one way or the other so long as everyone
is doing the same thing. My only issue was his use if a sig
delimiter while top posting. News readers that know what to
do with a sig delimiter strip everything below it during a
reply so it removes all of the conversation except what was
last posted. During my reply to his post my news reader
stripped everything after his signature, leaving only his
post. In order for me to keep the relevant parts of the thread
it would have required me to copy and paste text from his
message into my reply, which I won't do.

It is a little odd that he's using a sig delimiter with a news
reader that doesn't know what to do with one.

Jordon

John wrote:
> See Chip Pearson website for information regarding "Top or Bottom "
> posting.
> I prefer top posting.(Nothing is missing)
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.asp
> Regards
> John
>
> "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message
> news:OdOZ0W$fKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> macropod wrote:
>>> Hi Jordon,
>>>
>>>> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
>>>> to your post strips out everything below your
>>>> signature
>>>
>>> Not in my experience ...
>>>
>>> The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own
>>> post.
>>>
>>
>> I haven't stripped anything from this. My newsreader did.
>> Newsreaders that honor a sig delimiter strip everything
>> after a dash dash space. That's its intended purpose.
>>
>> http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et030601.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jordon
>

0
Jordon
12/18/2009 7:39:08 PM
Hi Jordon,

The convention in these forums is top posting and the overwhelming majority of posters don't use newsreaders that strip everything 
below the sig delimiter ...

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:e2ahelBgKHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I don't really care one way or the other so long as everyone
> is doing the same thing. My only issue was his use if a sig
> delimiter while top posting. News readers that know what to
> do with a sig delimiter strip everything below it during a
> reply so it removes all of the conversation except what was
> last posted. During my reply to his post my news reader
> stripped everything after his signature, leaving only his
> post. In order for me to keep the relevant parts of the thread
> it would have required me to copy and paste text from his
> message into my reply, which I won't do.
>
> It is a little odd that he's using a sig delimiter with a news
> reader that doesn't know what to do with one.
>
> Jordon
>
> John wrote:
>> See Chip Pearson website for information regarding "Top or Bottom "
>> posting.
>> I prefer top posting.(Nothing is missing)
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/HintsAndTipsForNewsgroupUsers.asp
>> Regards
>> John
>>
>> "Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message
>> news:OdOZ0W$fKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> macropod wrote:
>>>> Hi Jordon,
>>>>
>>>>> When you top post and use a sig delimiter, a reply
>>>>> to your post strips out everything below your
>>>>> signature
>>>>
>>>> Not in my experience ...
>>>>
>>>> The only thing that stripped out was what you stripped from your own
>>>> post.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I haven't stripped anything from this. My newsreader did.
>>> Newsreaders that honor a sig delimiter strip everything
>>> after a dash dash space. That's its intended purpose.
>>>
>>> http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et030601.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jordon
>>
> 

0
macropod
12/21/2009 12:22:12 AM
macropod wrote:
> The convention in these forums is top posting and the overwhelming
> majority of posters don't use newsreaders that strip everything below
> the sig delimiter ...

Forums? This is a news group. What forums are you
talking about? I've been reading posts from the
Microsoft Usenet server, microsoft.public, for over
12 years. And like I said, I don't really
care one way or another about top vs. bottom
posting as long as everyone does the same thing.

Please enlighten me...

Why do you use a sig delimiter? It screws up other
peoples replies to your posts, but only when you
top post. It doesn't when you bottom post. Since
you say that the convention in these "forums" is
top posting why are you intentionally doing something
that destroys the flow of a thread?

-- 
Jordon



0
Jordon
12/21/2009 4:38:12 PM
OK it's a newsgroup.

> Why do you use a sig delimiter?
Because the newsreader that comes with Windows inserts it automatically when one uses a signature.

> It screws up other peoples replies to your posts
Not if they're using the newsreader that comes with Windows - which is what the overwhelming majority of posters here use. Only 
those who use something that doesn't respect the conventions in these NGs have problems. Check it out - I am far from being the only 
one in these NGs who uses sigs and top-posting.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:OFIRWulgKHA.5604@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> macropod wrote:
>> The convention in these forums is top posting and the overwhelming
>> majority of posters don't use newsreaders that strip everything below
>> the sig delimiter ...
>
> Forums? This is a news group. What forums are you
> talking about? I've been reading posts from the
> Microsoft Usenet server, microsoft.public, for over
> 12 years. And like I said, I don't really
> care one way or another about top vs. bottom
> posting as long as everyone does the same thing.
>
> Please enlighten me...
>
> Why do you use a sig delimiter? It screws up other
> peoples replies to your posts, but only when you
> top post. It doesn't when you bottom post. Since
> you say that the convention in these "forums" is
> top posting why are you intentionally doing something
> that destroys the flow of a thread?
>
> -- 
> Jordon
>
>
> 

0
macropod
12/21/2009 9:22:50 PM
macropod wrote:
> OK it's a newsgroup.

>> Why do you use a sig delimiter?

> Because the newsreader that comes with Windows inserts it automatically
> when one uses a signature.

>> It screws up other peoples replies to your posts

> Not if they're using the newsreader that comes with Windows - which is
> what the overwhelming majority of posters here use. Only those who use
> something that doesn't respect the conventions in these NGs have
> problems. Check it out - I am far from being the only one in these NGs
> who uses sigs and top-posting.

Well, would you look at that? You didn't top post and
I can see my previous remarks that you've replied to
after I hit reply. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I have no idea what the current Windows is using for a
news reader but it has to be something like Outlook
Express. What's it called? Windows Mail or something
like that? Are you saying that it inserts a sig
delimiter, by default, but it has no way to deal with
a sig delimiters intended purpose? This post seems to
suggest just that...

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/40374-why-doesnt-mail-strip-signatures-usenet-when-doing-reply.html

Overwhelming majority? Just check the User Agent in the
headers of posts from a lot of the long time posters
here and you'll see that they are in fact using something
other than Windows Mail. Dave Peterson, Gord Dibben, Chip
Pearson, Pete_UK, Don Guillett, none of them are using
Windows Mail. They all use something that honors a sig
delimiter.

-- 
Jordon
0
Jordon
12/22/2009 12:06:45 AM
Both Outlook Express and Windows Mail apply sig delimiters and neither strips out anything below the delimiter. As for the 'intended 
purpose', I guess that's just a matter of interpretation - MS apparently doesn't interpret it the way you do.

Have a nice day.

-- 
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:%23fXK$opgKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> macropod wrote:
>> OK it's a newsgroup.
>
>>> Why do you use a sig delimiter?
>
>> Because the newsreader that comes with Windows inserts it automatically
>> when one uses a signature.
>
>>> It screws up other peoples replies to your posts
>
>> Not if they're using the newsreader that comes with Windows - which is
>> what the overwhelming majority of posters here use. Only those who use
>> something that doesn't respect the conventions in these NGs have
>> problems. Check it out - I am far from being the only one in these NGs
>> who uses sigs and top-posting.
>
> Well, would you look at that? You didn't top post and
> I can see my previous remarks that you've replied to
> after I hit reply. Do you see what I'm getting at?
>
> I have no idea what the current Windows is using for a
> news reader but it has to be something like Outlook
> Express. What's it called? Windows Mail or something
> like that? Are you saying that it inserts a sig
> delimiter, by default, but it has no way to deal with
> a sig delimiters intended purpose? This post seems to
> suggest just that...
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/40374-why-doesnt-mail-strip-signatures-usenet-when-doing-reply.html
>
> Overwhelming majority? Just check the User Agent in the
> headers of posts from a lot of the long time posters
> here and you'll see that they are in fact using something
> other than Windows Mail. Dave Peterson, Gord Dibben, Chip
> Pearson, Pete_UK, Don Guillett, none of them are using
> Windows Mail. They all use something that honors a sig
> delimiter.
>
> -- 
> Jordon 

0
macropod
12/22/2009 2:20:06 AM
macropod wrote:
> Both Outlook Express and Windows Mail apply sig delimiters and neither
> strips out anything below the delimiter. As for the 'intended purpose',
> I guess that's just a matter of interpretation - MS apparently doesn't
> interpret it the way you do.

Just what do you think a sig delimiter is for? To
look pretty? Is google broken for you?

You didn't read the link I provided, did you? Try
this one...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=purpous+signature+delimiter

-- 
Jordon
0
Jordon
12/22/2009 3:14:47 PM
> You didn't read the link I provided, did you?

Sure I did. And it says *nothing* about deleting text other than the sig:
"It would be great if a common signature delimiter could become a standard as well. Then email clients could automatically delete 
the signature from the quoted text"

If you're going to use a newsreader that lamely clips other stuff too, don't complain about those that don't.

-- 
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]


"Jordon" <jordon@REMOVETHISsamiamnot.com> wrote in message news:u78MZkxgKHA.5792@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> macropod wrote:
>> Both Outlook Express and Windows Mail apply sig delimiters and neither
>> strips out anything below the delimiter. As for the 'intended purpose',
>> I guess that's just a matter of interpretation - MS apparently doesn't
>> interpret it the way you do.
>
> Just what do you think a sig delimiter is for? To
> look pretty? Is google broken for you?
>
> You didn't read the link I provided, did you? Try
> this one...
>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=purpous+signature+delimiter
>
> -- 
> Jordon 

0
macropod
12/23/2009 12:19:24 AM
macropod wrote:
>> You didn't read the link I provided, did you?
>
> Sure I did. And it says *nothing* about deleting text other than the sig:
> "It would be great if a common signature delimiter could become a
> standard as well. Then email clients could automatically delete the
> signature from the quoted text"

If you had read it you would have read the following...

~~~~~~~~~~~
It would be great if a common signature delimiter could become
a standard as well. Then email clients could automatically delete
the signature from the quoted text when you compose a reply, for
example.

Use the Standard Signature Delimiter

The "standard" that is widely used on Usenet, but also with email,
is

* "-- " (two dashes followed by a white-space character) on a line
by itself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does that by removing the delimiter and everything below it.
Since usenet netiquette has dictated, since it's inception, bottom
posting, traditionally signatures go at the bottom. Removing the
delimiter and everything below it never removes anything else in
the message.

> If you're going to use a newsreader that lamely clips other stuff too,
> don't complain about those that don't.

How is a news reader suppose to know when the signature ends?
I dare you to find me a newsreader that will only remove a
signature in the middle of a post leaving what's above it and
what's below intact. There aren't any.

Geeze. Why are you making this so difficult? Open your eyes, read
a little about usenet history and you'll understand.

I can tell, you're one of those people that can never admit you're
wrong. I'm done beating a dead horse. Believe what you want to
believe.
0
Jordon
12/23/2009 3:33:48 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Replace leading zeros with leading spaces ?
I am using Excel 2007. Format (12,”000”) gives me 012 I want (12,”??0”) to be 12 with a leading space Question mark doesn’t seem to work in Excel 2007 Use this... Format(12, "@@@") -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27CFD9C0-FA9C-4A49-8557-3B86FBA0CD93@microsoft.com... >I am using Excel 2007. > Format (12,”000”) gives me 012 > I want (12,”??0”) to be 12 with a leading space > > Question mark doesn’t seem to work in Excel 2007 > I don't think you need to use Form...

zeros are being added to my numbers
Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added -- des In front or at the end? Check: a. Tools|Options|Edit tab, uncheck Fixed Decimal b. Format the cell as General -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "des" <alberyds@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:564346C5-2851-4B9B-A616-D4305AECD360@microsoft.com... | Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is | automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added | -- | des Hi Niek Otten your fix ...

Do not want zero values to plot in a chart
If I have a chart -(line chart) for a spreadsheet and there are some cells that are zero as a result of a formula what can I do to not have those zero values plot on the chart? I have included the condition with the formula to have it display as a blank instead of a zero, but the value of the formual still plots Thanks for any input Michelle Hi Michele try the following in your formula: =IF(A1=0,NA(),A1) the #NA reult is not plotted in your chart. If you like you can hide these errors with conditional formats Frank MichelleT wrote: > If I have a chart -(line chart) for a spreadsheet ...

Mailbox Store cannot up again after forcing stop on offline defrag
Hi All, I have a problem that the Mailbox Store under First Storage Group on our 2003 Ex Server cannot be up agian after I forcing stop on the eseutil/d process. eseutil /d "D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb" /tf:\tempdfrg.edb is the command I used to do the offline defrad, since the size of the store is too large that the process not yet finish in the required period. I force to stop it. After that, I found the priv1.edb under MDBDATA folder is the same as the one in f:\ in terms of the time stamp & size, but the priv1.stm is different from 2 locations. I try...

+A2 results in zero???
I generated a spreadsheet with QuickBooks to look at a Budget. I mention this only for context. I'm changing the spreadsheet manually and have come onto something I don't understand: There is a column of numbers let us say in column A. In A10 there is a number. In A21 there is a number. In A54 there is =A10+A21 which results in a number. I want to put B90=+A54.... well I type +A54 in B90 and I guess that's the result ... or is it simply =A54?? no matter. When I do this, the result is zero in B90! When I put the same formula in quite a few other cells I get the same result....

hide zeros in report...
I have a report with NetAmount. Under NetAmount it contains numbers. Under the last number there is always a 0.00, how can I make this not show? Thanks Stephen -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com You are describing something that appears on a printed report. Without some idea of how the report is designed, I can only guess... You have a control on the report that displays something that equals (or defaults) to zero. If you don't want to see that, set the control property .Visible=False. Or delete the control. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP &quo...

Y axis to cross at zero
I have line graph of sines of angles 0 deg to 360 deg. I need the X axis to show X-axis corresponding to angles 0, 90, 27, 360. But if I set tick-marks every 90, the labels read 1,91,181,271,361. This is because the "Scale" dialogue has "Value (Y) axis crosses at category number: 1". This cannot be set to zero; it must be in the range 1 to 39999. How can I set the X-axis to commence at zero? What point am I missing here??? Thanks Paddy "Paddy" <paddy@myisp.com> wrote : >I have line graph of sines of angles 0 deg to 360 deg. I need the...

Need to force 2 lines in cell
In both form & report I need to be able to expand cell to accomodate two lines of print, eg., street address above city,state & zip in same cell.....is this possible in Access and, if so, how do I do it?? Don, All you need to do is go into Design View, highlight the field and go to the bottom, and expand it OR you in the Report you could jjust set the field to Can Grow = Yes. Or did you need to know how to get Address, City, State and Zip in the field? -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!...

Displaying values from zero on graph
I have graph which shows values from A1 to C3. I just change data in cells, so graph changes according to values in cells. I would like that values on y axis (ordinate) starts from 0 (zero) and not from some number. How to solve this with VBA? Thanks in advance ...

Force User to Enter Data.
I am new to Access and would really appreciate some help. I have a form with two check boxes [GEIsol] and [DPIsol]. I want to put some code behind the [GeIsol] to only allow the box to be ticked if [DPIsol] is yes. I am completely at a loss as to how to do this and any help would be most welcome. I thank you for your help in advance. ~Thanks. However, I cant find the current event - could you point me in the right direction please "jfaz" wrote: > I am new to Access and would really appreciate some help. > > I have a form with two check boxes [GEIsol] and [DPIsol]. ...

plotting blanks as zero
I only have data up through today, but the chart shows the lines diving to 0 tomorrow and forward. My graph is plotting blanks as 0, instead of leaving a gap. I followed the help to Tools|Options|Chart|Plot Empty Cell As and set it to Not. But it has no effect. This is a Line Chart with markers. All the sub-types give the same effect. I thought at first that the chart options we defaults and only applied to new charts, but no, the option is only available for existing selected charts. Thanks, Brad. "Brad White" <bwhite at inebraska . com> wrote in message news:OQGyA4V...

displaying leading zeros
Is there a way to display leading zeros in a number and still have it formatted as a number? We have account numbers for customers that often start with a zero. When analyzing activity in Excel, the leading zeros are dropped. It would be helpful if they would show. Thanks Apply a custom format to the cells of 00000000 to display the numbers as 8 digits, with leading zeros where appropriate. Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 17, 5:36=A0pm, blkane <blk...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to display leading zeros in a number and still have it > formatted as a n...

Despite formula I use (for example SUM) result is always zero.
Despite formula I use (for example the most simple SUM) it always shows me zero result even it should show a lot more. Values in other cells (cells that I sum) are in number format. Why this happens?? It doesn't matter whether the cells are FORMATTED to DISPLAY as number; what matters is whether the CONTENTS are numbers. My guess is that they are text that might look like a number. If one of your numbers is in A2, what do the formulae =ISTEXT(A2) and =ISNUMBER(A2) show? -- David Biddulph "Anida" <Anida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Scientific plotting, non-zero x-axis origin, and number labeling
I want to plot some spectroscopy data. The range of x-data (wavelength) is from 270 to 1100 nm. However, I would like the x-axis lablels to read only 300, 400, etc., rather than 270, 370, 470... Is there any way in Excel 2003 or later to change the position on the axis where number labeling begins? I know this is possible in other plotting programs, but would prefer Excel for student use. Thanks for any help one way or the other. "Viterbo Mike" <Viterbo Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A5A6621-40A9-4034-8612-02F12A7F1AA2@microsoft.com... >I wa...

Zero value and bar graph
Hello all, I'm new to graphs and what I have is a date range (1-Jan-08 - 31-Jan-08) with a dollor amount in the next cell. The bar graph is picking up the "zero" or blank ("")cells and is ploting them on the graph. How can I have the graph not plot the "zero" or blank ("") values? I did the flowing to the amounts:=IF(N18=0,NA(),N18) and that remove the "$0" from the graph, but it's still pickup the dates. Off2000 Thanks Hi, The NA() trick only suppressed the point/bar/column. It does not remove the point from the series. To do t...

Printing Reports: Force A4 Format 07-19-07
hello! i am having trouble forcing a report to be in the A4 format when sending to the printer. it happens all the time that the report get send with the format 'letter' which causes the printer to stop and request for paper in letter format. the report i generate totally fits in the A4 format but it won't work the way i want it to! this is pretty annoying because i always have to manually push a button on the printer so that the report can be printed. is there a way through any preferences or vba code to make this work ? maybe someone can help me or give me a hint. thanks in adv...

Starting x-axis at zero?
I am trying to plot some data on a line graph, and the data for th x-axis has a starting value of zero. I want the data to be plotted s that the first value is plotted right on the y-axis itself. Instead Excel moves it over to the left, and adds an extra number to the axis, which I DON'T want it to do. I tried changing this in the Scal window under Format Axis..., but it won't let me change it. Eve though the data for the x-axis starts out as zero, it still plots th first point over 1. Anyone able to help here? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Zach - U...

Force subreport size
I am using SSRS 2008 and have a report with 2 subreports which work fine. However, I want to force them to be a certain size and not shrink. Is there a way to do this on the main report? I could not find a "Can Shrink" type of property. Or do I need to put them inside a rectangle in order to do this? Thanks. -- David I found a solution. Put subform inside a rectangle and put a hidden verticle line inside far right and hidden horizontal line in lower right. It works great as the rectangle is "forced to always be a certain size. -- David "DavidC...

How to force uppercase in a CListCtrl
I have a class the is derived from CListCtrl. There are two columns, one is fixed, the other is editable. I would like to make it so that characters entered in the editable column always appear in uppercase (much like setting the Uppercase property to True on a CEdit). I've tried a number of things, but none seem to work. I am not an MFC expert by any means. Any help would be appreciated. I'd start by just setting it in the edit control you get in EditLabel() http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4xxsdd7z(VS.80).aspx I haven't tried it, but I think you can call ModifySty...

Total Annualized Return is Zero
Greetings, Recently a fund I hold climbed above 4.70, at which point the Total Annualized Return figures shown in the portfolio page (by investment type) started showing zero. However it's not zero. If I adjust the price manually I notice the total annual return is zero for prices between 4.70 and 6.35. Above 6.36 and below 4.70 it starts showing correctly again. The figure of 4.70 is about 2x the average cost. I'm using Money 2003. I tried to repair the file but that didn't fix anything. I also tried exporting all the transactions to a QIF file and back into a clean money...

Actual value a non-zero number but display is Zero
Hi, In A1 i have the value 1, In B1 let's say 2 and C1 value 3 and in D1 I have a formula = A1+B1+C1. I want to print the range A1 to D1 and see the value 6 in D1 but in A1 to C1 I want the excel display to be zero. I have probably read in thi group that some folks use rightclick on cell and use Format and use some variation of Custom to achieve this (not very sure). Please guide me. Please Regards, Hari India Hi Hari, You are definitely on the right track with number formats! Try this: - Select cells A1 to C1 and right-click, then select Format Cells - Go to the Number tab and s...

ignoring zero values in excel charts
I am trying to create an x/y scatter plot from an excel sheet where the cells in the data range contain formulae which sometimes return a zero value - when this occurs I want the chart to ignore the value as though the cell was empty but I am having no luck in doing this. It would also be nice if the LINEST function could be made to ignore zero values as well. Having the same problem. It's okay if there is absolutely nothing in the cell the chart is pulling from, but if the actual value is zero, it dips down and looks very distracting. I have tried various different ways to get ...

Breakdown Accounts Sum Cannot Equal Zero
This is our first payroll of the New Year and when Accounting posted payroll, the posting Journal threw a bunch of errors saying that Breakdown accounts sum cannot be zero. We have a new head of accounting and this is her first New Year, so we may have forgotten a step before posting. I didn't really see anything in the KB that pertained to this problem, so any help would be appreciated. Is a Quick Journal being used to post payroll? This is often done if a journal entry is entered to 'post payroll' in order to get the transactions into the check register. When se...

User message when check out forced
Using WSS 3, I have several document libraries where I have used the settings to force check out. This works fine when users follow the correct process and choose Edit document. However, most often (and no matter how many times I tell them! they just click the hyperlink to open the document. For some users this throws up a message asking if they want to check out or read only which is great but others it just opens the documenet in read only, they work on it and then Save As (using Office 2003) so my Version History is not updated. Any idea what kicks off the message on some PC&#...

Field Populates in Form, Not in Table (Was "Leading Zeros Lost in Concatenation")
I think I'm closer. I confess to being a newbie when it comes to using functions in Access, but I finally got my form to look as desired by putting the following in my Control Source for the field: =Format([Figure Identifier],"0000000" & [Description] & ".eps"). So far, so good. http://s28.quicksharing.com/v/5304419/controlsource.jpg.html The table tied to the form was imported in Access from Excel, and the form was then built on the table. Within the table, however, this field is not populating when adding new records. Only the initial row, which was populat...