Floating Window - Playing with Scenarios

I've got a spreadsheet that comprises about ten worksheets. The spreadsheet
allows for about five different scenarios to be reviewed.

At the moment to change scenarios, I have to change a cell in a particular
worksheet.

But what I want to be able to do is have a small window (that always stays
on top of the open worksheet) where I can switch scenarios by changing the
number in that window. That way I can see the data in the worksheet change.

Can SKS help - or suggest an alternative approach.

Tx

Rob

0
rfj1001 (25)
11/4/2008 4:04:27 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Should have added - it's excel 2007

"RobFJ" <del**eteto**rfj1001@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

0
rfj1001 (25)
11/4/2008 4:05:17 PM
Maybe you can design a small(?) userform that you can show non-modally (so that
you can still edit cells on the worksheet).

If you want to design your own userform:

Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:
http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartII.asp

--

Dave Peterson
0

> Maybe you can design a small(?) userform that you can show non-modally (so
> that
> you can still edit cells on the worksheet).
>
> If you want to design your own userform:
>
> Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:
> http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
>
> Peter Aiken Articles:
> Part I
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartI.asp
> Part II
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartII.asp
>
> RobFJ wrote:
>>
>> I've got a spreadsheet that comprises about ten worksheets. The
>> spreadsheet
>> allows for about five different scenarios to be reviewed.
>>
>> At the moment to change scenarios, I have to change a cell in a
>> particular
>> worksheet.
>>
>> But what I want to be able to do is have a small window (that always
>> stays
>> on top of the open worksheet) where I can switch scenarios by changing
>> the
>> number in that window. That way I can see the data in the worksheet
>> change.
>>
>> Can SKS help - or suggest an alternative approach.
>>
>> Tx
>>
>> Rob
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
rfj1001 (25)
11/7/2008 7:26:27 PM
I'm not sure how much you need, but this may get you started.

Create a userform with a single textbox and two commandbuttons on it.

Place this code behind the userform:

Option Explicit
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim myCell As Range
    'change the sheetname and the address here
    Set myCell = Worksheets("SomeSheetNameHere").Range("A1")
    myCell.Value = Me.TextBox1.Value
End Sub
Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    Unload Me
End Sub
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    With Me.CommandButton1
        .Caption = "Ok"
        .Default = True
    End With
    With Me.CommandButton2
        .Caption = "Cancel"
        .Cancel = True
    End With
End Sub

Then insert a general module to show the userform and put this code in that
module.

Option Explicit
Sub ShowTheForm()
    UserForm1.Show False
End Sub

Now use Alt-F8 to invoke this macro and see if it works.

If you didn't read Debra's notes, take some time to review them.

--

Dave Peterson
0

> I'm not sure how much you need, but this may get you started.
>
> Create a userform with a single textbox and two commandbuttons on it.
>
> Place this code behind the userform:
>
> Option Explicit
> Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
>    Dim myCell As Range
>    'change the sheetname and the address here
>    Set myCell = Worksheets("SomeSheetNameHere").Range("A1")
>    myCell.Value = Me.TextBox1.Value
> End Sub
> Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
>    Unload Me
> End Sub
> Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
>    With Me.CommandButton1
>        .Caption = "Ok"
>        .Default = True
>    End With
>    With Me.CommandButton2
>        .Caption = "Cancel"
>        .Cancel = True
>    End With
> End Sub
>
> Then insert a general module to show the userform and put this code in
> that
> module.
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub ShowTheForm()
>    UserForm1.Show False
> End Sub
>
> Now use Alt-F8 to invoke this macro and see if it works.
>
> If you didn't read Debra's notes, take some time to review them.
>
> RobFJ wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Dave - but too advanced for me to know how to change from the
>> example
>> to what I want to do
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Maybe you can design a small(?) userform that you can show non-modally
>> > (so
>> > that
>> > you can still edit cells on the worksheet).
>> >
>> > If you want to design your own userform:
>> >
>> > Debra Dalgleish shares some tips:
>> > http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html
>> >
>> > Peter Aiken Articles:
>> > Part I
>> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffpro01/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartI.asp
>> > Part II
>> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnoffsol02/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartII.asp

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>> >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
rfj1001 (25)
11/8/2008 6:43:40 PM
Glad it worked ok.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Window Mail Windows 7
I started a new folder and now want to delete it but am unable to. Any suggestions? Please reply to bswanson2@roadrunner.com Where in Windows Live Mail did you create that folder? When you=20 right-click on that folder, isn't 'Delete' one of the options? Sorry, we don't provide individual support via email here. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Bob Swanson" <bswanson2@roadrunner.com> wrote in message = news:CC9B137E-F049-4D24-99EC-5BC141822BB0@microsoft.com... >I star...

Highest Version of Adobe Reader for Windows 98se
Hi, Can someone tell me what is the highest version of Adobe Reader I can use on my Windows 98se computer? Thank You in Advance, John PS, Remove "ine" from my email address On 05/08/2010 06:34 AM, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote: > Hi, > > Can someone tell me what is the highest version of Adobe Reader I can > use on my Windows 98se computer? > > Thank You in Advance, John > > PS, Remove "ine" from my email address > Adobe is very bloated you will probably be better off with Foxit it'...

Unhide the Application Window
I have vba code in an Access program that calls and manipulates data in an Excel spreadsheet. All the manipulation code works fine. This spreadsheet is unsecured (by design) and can be viewed by anyone. The problem is that after my code works on the file, the next time it is opened (not by any code) the application is hidden and the user must go to the menu bar and manually unhide the window. Is there code to rectify this situation? *****Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum & Business Software***** This is a guess. If your users...

How to remove config for a missing NIC in Windows Server 2003.
Does any one know how to remove the configuration (IP address, netmask, default gateway, etc) for a network adapter that has been removed from a Windows server /after/ the physical NIC has been removed? I ran in to this recently after a p2v conversion when I went to re-configure the IP settings on the virtual adapter. In doing so, I got a pop-up saying that the same IP address (etc) was still configured on an adapter that had been removed from the system. I was able to find the information in the registry and remove it so that Windows would not prompt, but I don't think ...

Calling the Immediate Window
I handle dozens of DBs for various offices in my organization. The biggest hurdle I face is when I have to update data for these back-ends, someone somewhere invariably has the DB open. I have a Master DB that I use to automate all the updating I have to do and have incorporated the "WhoIsInTheDatabaseLockFile" procedure to find the Machine Names of these users (none of these DBs use user-level security - I inherited them as is). I then have some code to open a cmd window and run the psloggedon.exe from SysInternals (now part of Microsoft) to get the actual username of the per...

My IE8 32 bit in Windows 7 (64 bit) fails to execute hyperlinks sometimes
Sometimes clicking on hypertext links in the subject environment (windows7 64 bit, ie8*32 appears to do nothing, although each click adds an additional iexplore*32 process to the task manager. These processes persist until terminated in task manager. Any clue as to how to troubleshoot/repair? steve What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a...

Force Redraw of Main POS window from Custom Button Popup
I'm implemented a form that's presented when the POS user presses a Custom Button. The form can if necessary update items in the Transaction, this works fine. The only issue is that while my form is displayed the Transaction window will not update to reflect the changes made by my code. When I close my form the Transaction window updates and properly displays the changes I've made. I'm looking for a way to force the Transaction window to refresh before returning from my Custom Button form. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Tom No way to force it programmatical...

OWA Failed Process Creates Blank Window @ Windows Login
A user's computer does the following: Every time after logging into his Windows XP computer, a Security Alert window pops up indicating that: Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site's security certificate. .... Do you want to proceed? Yes, No, View certificate This started happening after a failed logon attempt to OWA. The security alert popup that precedes the OWA login occurs with all of my users; it is annoying but harmless and that is not the problem that I am trying to correct at the moment. ...

what is floating currency
i am working with office 2003, and for my college class i need to know what floating currency is in excel, but i can't find it in an online search, or in excel help. i know how to apply currency formats to cells, but i don't know how floating currency applies to excel. please help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_currency -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "bobert" <bobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3763F76-C556-4595-9072-058B543D5FAD@microsoft.com... >i am working with office 2003, and for my college class i need to kno...

Sending a document to print causes the Windows 2003 print queue of that printer to go offline
Have a situation where sending a document (any) to print causes the Windows 2003 print queue/printer of that printer to go offline. The queue remains offline until the printer is power cycled. We can then print a single job before the queue/printer goes offline again. Was working fine, no changes made. We also have this printer and queue on another server and we get the same problem. Funny though if the printer is created on a Windows 2000 box the printer remains online after a document has printed. Im a twat. have now posted in correct section! Peeky wrote: > Have a situation where se...

windows log on/off notification
I'm implementing windows service for windows 2000. And must know when user log on and log of from Windows. There is a notificatin, that sends to service, when user logged on/off. But it is only in XP. How can I do it in Win 2000. Help me, please, if you know. Best regards. Check out OnQueryEndSession() or WM_QUERYENDSESSION Cheers Peter "Antonio Passado" <antoniopassado@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23bJ3tc31DHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I'm implementing windows service for windows 2000. And must know when user > log on and log of from Windows. The...

attaching child ClistCtrl window to resizable parent Dialog
I'm using Visual C++ 7.0 and MFC With the Wizard, I created a Dialog Window [which I made resizable]. I've place two ClistCtrls side by side on the top of the dialog. I'd like to attach the RHS of the rightmost ctrl to the parent dialog so that when I resize the dialog, the listctrl expands. Note that I don't explicitly create the listctrls - this ia all behind the scene. I only send an initial message to each: m_ConfCtrlList.SendMessage(LVM_SETEXTENDEDLISTVIEWSTYLE,0, LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT|LVS_REPORT|LVS_EX_GRIDLINES ); Thanks, Ihor VC++ doesn't not...

Windows Mail
All of a sudden I am having difficulty receiving/sending emails. I have webmail.carolina.rr.com which are then forwarded to my laptop via windows mail. I started receiving duplicate emails last week, same email up to 20 times. I verified with the server that the dups are not on their end. coincedentally, my internet connection is pathetically slow. Can this issue affect my internet speed? Anyone have any advice? I have already verified that I am set up correctly. Yesterday I ran CCcleaner, superspy ware, and malwarebytes and came up clean. Not sure what is happening. MI...

VC6 Debug Output Window
I do a lot of TRACE and "Edit and Continue" with VC6.0. It is very annoying that the Build tab always takes away the Debug Output view. And even worse that when I click the Debug tab, the view is not at the bottom of the scroll where I want to see the output. Is there a way to keep the output view showing always, or a better way to see TRACE output? Also I would like (optionally) to always see the page full of output instead of jumping to the middle half the time. TIA, Harvey On Mar 21, 1:26 pm, "Harvey" <harve...@juno.com> wrote: > I do a lot of TRACE and "...

Windows Scheduler
Hello, Has anyone ever used windows scheduler to launch a routine witin Access. I have a routine, that runs on an "on click" event. I would like to have this routine kick off at 4:00 a.m. every morning. Through the schedule wizard, I have been able to get my application launched, but I can't trigger the event so nothing happens. I do not want to change this to run when the DB is opened, because I do not want this routine to run every time the DB is launched. Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Roger One of my clients used the Win...

issue with IMAP & multiple Windows accounts
I have two user accounts set up in Windows Vista Pro, mine & my roommates. In Outlook 2007 I have several IMAP accounts set up. A couple of the IMAP accounts are showing up in my roommates Outlook 2007 folders list. I look under the account settings in his Outlook, the IMAP accounts are not there.I right click on the IMAP accounts in the folder list and attempt to close them, but can not, I get a message that I need to delete the accout first. I uninstalled Outlook, deleted the Outlook folder from both my account & his account, both local & roaming. I reinstalled...

FW: Take a look at this internet update for Windows
--rxbwopbk Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rizulsll"; type="multipart/alternative" --rizulsll Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="xdjcoieboutonhujy" --xdjcoieboutonhujy Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help maintain...

Find window
hey people, can anybody tell me why in the find screen some information is red and other black Hi Shoby. The information in red contains the characters you ran the find on. Kerri "Shoby" wrote: > hey people, > can anybody tell me why in the find screen some information is red and > other black ...

Noob Question CString to Float conversion
Hey guys - I am having difficulty in converting a CString to a float value to allow me to do calculations with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. try atof() "Rik Irving" <indigoed@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:bpqv0g$qv8$1@titan.btinternet.com... > Hey guys - I am having difficulty in converting a CString to a float value > to allow me to do calculations with it. > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Thanks. > > Rik Irving wrote: > Hey guys - I am having difficulty in converting a CString to a float value > to allow me to ...

Visual Studio do make Deployment on Windows 7
HI All, I have tried to use the Visual studio 2005 deployment project to deploy my C# program, and the deployment has custom action in the Installation, but it will fail to install in a windows 7 64 bits OS and the error code is 2869, and i have read the information from the Internet and it seems to be the UAC problem, but i have tried to use ORCA to change the custom action type to 3073 and tried to disable the UAC function in the windows 7, and also tried to use an empty Install method: public override void Install(System.Collections.IDictionary stateSaver) { ...

Outlook 2002 Windows XP From Field
Hi. I need some help please. I recently had my PC at work upgraded to Windows XP with Outlook 2002. I send emails from different accounts and when sending an email I need to have the FROM field showing above the TO field. I've looked through all the options on the send mail and from the main screen but do not see this as an option. It was an option under the View menu in Windows 2000 Outlook 2000. Please advise. Meteor :-) Nevermind, I answered my own question. For those that are wondering about this too . . . . from the toolbar that includes the send button, click on the...

Floating a Toolbar
Hello, I am working with a CDialog and it's a DLL. I am trying to make a CToolBar object to become floatable - to detach it from the main window. What I have is a code in my OnInitDialog that initializes the toolbar: if (!m_toolbar.Create(this) || !m_toolbar.LoadBitmap(IDR_TOOLBAR1) || !m_toolbar.SetButtons(MainButtons, sizeof(MainButtons)/sizeof(UINT))) { TRACE0("Failed to create mainbar\n"); return -1; // fail to create } m_toolbar.SetBarStyle(m_toolbar.GetBarStyle() | CBRS_TOOLTIPS); RepositionBars(AFX_IDW_CONTROLBAR_FIRST, AFX_IDW_CONTROLBAR_LAST, 0); I r...

re-install of Office Standard running Windows 7
I had a problem with my Outlook with error Cannot open" I tried to find a fix but didn't...I decided to uninstall Office. I then tried to re-install and got an error to type a string in the run to get info for customer support. this does not work file not found. If you installed Office from the cd the only thing you are required to enter is the Key "56Triumph T 110" <56TriumphT110@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA69BAFD-48D0-4882-93AA-29770AADB4F6@microsoft.com... > I had a problem with my Outlook with error Cannot open" I trie...

pasting mailing lists into windows vista mail
I have a very long excel spreadsheet with email address in one column. With the older outlook product I was always able to cut and paste the column into the TO field and send mass emailings. Now that I am using winmail I get an error when I try to do this: CHECK NAMES: no matches found ........ I have a clunky work around-I have added semicolins to each email address in the excel sheet but this of course is not a useful permanent fix. Can someone tell me how to turn off the "check names" feature or if this is not possible, how winmail can be used with excel to send...

Windows Activating makes problems
Hey Guys, I installed a new graphics card and ram into my computer. After that Windows wanted to activate again. Unfortunately, after the login window there came no more icon or another windows - I need the activation window! The computer starts only in safe mode. Any idea? The computer has Windows XP Professional SP3. Thanks a lot Lutze from Berlin Review the installation procedure, as you haven't installed the new graphics card properly. Lutz Richter wrote: > Hey Guys, > > I installed a new graphics card and ram into my computer. After that > W...