fix old file created with an old version of excel

I have a workbook that I have inherited from a previous employee.  I
believe that it was created with an old version of Excel, or even with
Lotus 123.  Basically, I have a few sheets containing what seems to be
the code for macros (they in fact appear under the tools>macro>macros
menu).  Since they do not work, and since I have more or less an idea
of what they do, I decided to erase them and create my own macros.  If
I erase the sheets containing the code, I cannot erase the name of the
macros under the macros menu. Neither is possible to erase the names
from the macros menu.

Can someone tell me how to get rid of this old code?  Also, If I
activate the visual basic editor, there is not track of the
spreadsheet.

Thanks,

PiPPo

0
pippo00 (3)
4/29/2006 2:45:48 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Question: When you click on Window, Unhide, is there a Personal.xls in the
available selection?
If yes, your macros are contained in this file. Use the VBA editor to reach
the module that contains the macro IN Personal.xls and delete. Once you are
finished, HIDE Personal.xls by going to Window, Hide.

HTH
Gilles
"PiPPo" <pippo00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook that I have inherited from a previous employee.  I
> believe that it was created with an old version of Excel, or even with
> Lotus 123.  Basically, I have a few sheets containing what seems to be
> the code for macros (they in fact appear under the tools>macro>macros
> menu).  Since they do not work, and since I have more or less an idea
> of what they do, I decided to erase them and create my own macros.  If
> I erase the sheets containing the code, I cannot erase the name of the
> macros under the macros menu. Neither is possible to erase the names
> from the macros menu.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get rid of this old code?  Also, If I
> activate the visual basic editor, there is not track of the
> spreadsheet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> PiPPo

PiPPo

If the workbook in question was constructed using XL95 which had the "Menu
Editor" feature the Menu Items will continue to reappear even though there are
no Macros associated with them.  This feature(Menu Editor)was dumped with XL97
and up.
Jim Rech has written RemoveMenu.XLA which gets rid of these.  Can be found on
Stephen Bullen's site.

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:20:53 -0400, "Gilles Desjardins"
<gilles.desjardins3@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Question: When you click on Window, Unhide, is there a Personal.xls in the
>available selection?
>If yes, your macros are contained in this file. Use the VBA editor to reach
>the module that contains the macro IN Personal.xls and delete. Once you are
>finished, HIDE Personal.xls by going to Window, Hide.
>
>HTH
>Gilles
>"PiPPo" <pippo00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a workbook that I have inherited from a previous employee.  I
>> believe that it was created with an old version of Excel, or even with
>> Lotus 123.  Basically, I have a few sheets containing what seems to be
>> the code for macros (they in fact appear under the tools>macro>macros
>> menu).  Since they do not work, and since I have more or less an idea
>> of what they do, I decided to erase them and create my own macros.  If
>> I erase the sheets containing the code, I cannot erase the name of the
>> macros under the macros menu. Neither is possible to erase the names
>> from the macros menu.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to get rid of this old code?  Also, If I
>> activate the visual basic editor, there is not track of the
>> spreadsheet.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> PiPPo

0
Gord

File Sharing
I have been trying to set up a folder to share on my home network. I go through the procedure and click done, but the folder does not show up as being shared. (I do not get the little icon on the folder). When I try to see it from the other computer it is not there. The printers are all there, and the windows preset folder are there. I disabled password and made sure that file and print sharing were enabled. The only computer I am having the problem with is the VISTA computer. The XP and Win7 work fine. Where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance Chris "Chris...

Best way to format a flat file that Excel will load properly?
I'm generating a flat file in Outlook VBA. Right now I'm able to save it as a ..txt file, although I hope to save it in a delimited flat file format with an ..xls extension so it will automatically be opened by excel without having to go through the whole 'import' sequence. There are string fields in the file, some of which contain commas- so I can't make it a comma delimited file. What is the best delimiter to use so that Excel will automatically recognize and parse the flat file contents across columns? Currently in 2003, but strongly prefer solutions ...

Reading and writing into a file
Hi, We use Great Plains accounting software to generate checks etc. We want to explore the feature if Great plains can read a fixed format file and write into a file. We are trying to look into this possibility because we want this application to share data and interface with another application written in powerbuilder. Please help. Thanks and Regards, Vinay Using Integration Manager or eConnect, Great Plains can read from a fixed file. Using eConnect, SmartList, or some other tool Great Plains can export to a file. eConnect may be the best bet if you already have developers. "V...

Need to convert 2002 back t0 while laptop is fixed
My laptop with Money 2002 died and had to be sent in for service which will probably be about a month. The good news is that I backup up all my data files the day before and burned them to CD. My office machine is running Windows 98 SE and Money 2001 but it will not read the 2002 files. I can't install XP because the machine will not support it. I used a friend's machine and can open my backup file but I don't want to leave my financial data there. Is there some way I can transfer the data to Excel or save it in a backwardly compatible format? I tried to synchronis...

Problem with updating links in Excel 2003
Five spreadsheets, collective size around 150 MB. Knee deep in formulas, functions and figures. All five workbooks are linked to each other, thus it is necessary to open them all at one time. Unfortunately, this isn’t possible. Each time the fifth sheet is opened, you receive the following error: "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other apps." ...

File/Send/Link by Email greyed out
I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8. On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any way I can enable those commands again? Thanks "Niall" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:55AF1874-D5C3-4D24-B38B-03D035D97943@microsoft.com... > I have Win 7 (upgraded from Vista) and IE 8. > On any web page when I click File/Send the options "Link by E-mail" and > "Page by E-mail" are greyed out. It worked in Vista. Is there any...

Excel charting #3
Hello experts, I am new to the group and wonder if you can help me with this problem. Here is a sample of data I want to plot chart with. A B C (Y axis) Series 1 12 4 33% Series 2 5 2 40% Series 3 10 1 10% Series 1,2,3 will be my X axis and they are categories. As you can see, column C is the percentage of B over A. In the chart, I want to show Column A and B, but I want to label B as percentages instead of numbers. Is there anyway to do that? Thanks so much for your assistance. learntoexcel Make the...

Excel macros not functioning in different geographies
I have an Excel spreadsheet that uses 3 macros to process data that is sent to me in a separate .csv file. Now, a colleague in Argentina is trying to run the first macro (which opens the .csv file and copies the data into the current spreadsheet) but she keeps getting an error. It's clear that her version of Excel is functioning differently than mine. Can anything be done so that her Excel behaves the same as mine (I'm in the US)? Could anybody offer other suggestions so that when the first macro opens the .csv file the data will be properly populated into multiple columns, i...

How do I fix this?
I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu Bar and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I can't get the Tool menu back. Help Please. Thanks Hold down the Shift key when you open your database. Rob "Ayo" <Ayo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3A9F20A-231C-42CA-80C4-59B836CFE1AB@microsoft.com... >I used the Startup tool to setup my application but I unchecked the Menu >Bar > and the Shortcut Menu Bar checkboxes. I need to make some changes but I > can't > get the Tool menu ba...

Combine Money Files
I am using Money 2004. I have two files with bank accounts and investments. What is the easiest way to combine them to 1 file? I tried export and import but since all cash and investment transactions for each account are all exported seperately, they don't get imported right. In microsoft.public.money, Mustafa wrote: >I am using Money 2004. I have two files with bank >accounts and investments. What is the easiest way to >combine them to 1 file? I tried export and import but >since all cash and investment transactions for each >account are all exported seperately, ...

Fixing column width
I have a spreadsheet in which I have set the widths of certain columns using Autofit. The problem is that I often have to add to the spreadsheet by importing data from a text file. Every time I do that, the column width changes to the width of the new data (which is usually narrower than what I wanted). Is there a way to prevent that from happening? Thanks, Cliff Lewis Assuming you're using the Data, Import Data command, when you get to the final "Import Data" dialog there is a "Properties" button (in Excel 2003 at least). One of those properties is Adjust column w...

How do I add a base to a graph in Excel?
Most ghraphs need to show the base. Is there a simple way to add that in or do I need to create a text box each time. And why do those inserted text boxes sometimes not copy across with the rest of the graph? Hi, You can use the x or y axis titles if not already being used. Make sure the chart is active when adding textboxes other wise the textbox will not be embedded within the chart object. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Monitor01" <Monitor01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8712C653-9D73-4CEF-BE41-66680AC4...

pst file #7
We have pst files on network shares, our users can read and connect having all proper rights to these folders will moving messages to pst file we receive error cannot write to file. Outlook 2003 Win2k servers Why Outlook .pst files are unsupported over a LAN or WAN link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297019&Product=out2K --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.gr...

Links to websites & files
Hi, I'm trying to find out how to create links to adobe files or other = websites=20 from an Outlook email. I know how to create a hyperlink, but what if I = want=20 something more aesthetically pleasing, like a button or highlighted text = to=20 select to take me to this other location or open up this other file? = (To see=20 our latest product catalogues, please click here XXXXX OR To = download=20 the latest version of Adobe........, please click here XXXXX) Also, if I want to have these options included in all my emails, is = there any=20 way to include these links (buttons) as ...

Typing on My Publisher Created Letterhead
I have made this great letterhead in Publisher 2000. Now I need to write a letter; and it won't let me type within my letterhead. Is there anyway to type on it with out printing the letterhead, then typing my letter in Word and re-printing on my letterhead Thanks for your help Wend Have you made a text box below the letterhead for the letter to be typed into? Melissa "Wendy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB5CADE6-3972-4E3D-8D13-C709C25E168A@microsoft.com... > I have made this great letterhead in Publisher 2000. Now I need to write ...

Decommisioning Old Exchange Server
Hello, I upgraded my companies Exchange Server a few months ago but haven't yet decommissioned the old server. All the mailboxes and public folders have been transferred to the new server and it really isn't being accesses for anything....in fact it has been taken out of the evironment completely and is sitting in a closet. My question is, are there any ramifications to leaving the old server in the Exchange environment in ESM? Also, if there are, can you please direct me to documentation on how to take it out. Exchange has been running flawless since we did this change over and I'...

Excel Charting
When I select the two series data columns from my workbook page an prepare a new Excel chart on the chart wizard the axes always appear o the chart reversed from what I want them to be. I have searched all th Help and MS docs to see how to reverse the axes to suit my requirement Can anyone please advise a method. tks, BigBo -- BigBo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BigBob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1611 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27558 Instead of adding from ...

How do I get a histogram using EXCEL
Using Office 2007 how to you draw a histogram, given grouped data and frequency? I know you could do this with 2003 using the tools option. Thanks ngwenya - If the data are already grouped, create a Column chart type. The Histogram tool is used when you have ungrouped, raw data. It prepares a frequency distribution, i.e., it groups the data, and then it creates a Column chart. If you have the original, ungrouped, raw data, you can use the Histogram tool, or you could use my free Better Histogram add-in, available at www.treeplan.com. - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.c...

How do I transfer a lot of emails to files without retyping them?
I am trying to transfer 150 emails to a file and need to do it without typing each one single-handedly. Can you help? "francie_yogini" <francie_yogini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E75342D-8531-412A-A22B-052665270947@microsoft.com > I am trying to transfer 150 emails to a file and need to do it > without typing each one single-handedly. Can you help? Select all the emails then file-export-CSV ...

The great disappearing hot fix
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Yesterday, one of our users complained to me about some quirk in GP eConnect processing that I had thought we fixed in December of 2007 via a Hot Fix to eConnect. Well, when I checked our server it was as if the hot fix was never installed (the eConnect release version was the basic 9.0.3.0, instead of 9.0.3.4). The Hot Fix was also missing from Add/Remove Programs. I went to reinstall the hot fix, and when the install program started it gave me the option to either Repair or Remove the hot fix. So, something was still present tha...

Cell Box - one of the 4 cell lines is open
What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - mentioned). Oh yea! The lines are call borders and are part of cell formatting. Format > Cells... > Border > Outline > OK -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200826 "MUTTMIND" wrote: > What was the set of search "words" to find the answer... please? I have > spent an hour. ( I don't want to tell you that I spent more time - > mentioned). Oh yea! No worky. Excel 2007 - home tab - cells (ins...

cannot open file with .doc....says file might be corrupt..
hi...can anyone help me...i downloaded a file that will let me open .doc attachments...but when i click to open...it says cannot open file may be corrupt -- patteeloo What file did you download to open the *.doc attachment. Do you have Office installed at all ? -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "patteeloo" <patteeloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D185CD3-6972-4B6C-B0A4-B1B99967A8EF@microsoft.com... > hi...can anyone help me...i downl...

pst file.
How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. "rhaasan" wrote in message news:9BF38B38-0366-4575-AEDD-90C187A8A727@microsoft.com... > How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. ANSI or Unicode format? Either i guess ansi is still 2gb but what is unicode? "VanguardLH" wrote: > "rhaasan" wrote in message > news:9BF38B38-0366-4575-AEDD-90C187A8A727@microsoft.com... > > How big can a outlook 2003 pst file grow to. > > > ANSI or Unicode format? > > "rhaasan" <rhaasan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mess...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

ERROR on opening excel
I get an error message that says "cannot use object linking and embedding" every time I start up the program. I get it when I start a new file and when I open saved files. After I click "OK" on the error, the program shuts it self down. I've looked for this error on the knowledge base but came up empty handed. Any Idea's? -- Thanks, Travis Sapara VM-Systems Service Manager travis@vm-systems.com (780)632-2859 Coincidentally, there's a followup to where I stole my message: http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3F3971AF.FA4490F5%40msn.com The author, Lut...