Fitting characters to a grid

In Excel I will have a grid sized 36 x 36, and this grid is subdivided into
36 6 x 6 boxes. What I would like to do is auto fill the grid randomly with
the characters A-Z and 0-9. However, in each row and in each column, each
character will appear only once. In addition, each character will appear
only once in each 6 x 6 box. Sort of like a giant Sudoku puzzle.

Any idea how I could formulate this?

Marcus

0
Marcus
5/20/2006 2:47:27 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

WOW!!!:eek:
You do not want much do you???:rolleyes:

Just to be sure I understand.
In row 1 (for example)  you would have a-z then 0-9 (randomly
distributed) in columns "A" to "AJ"
Then in row 2 you would have b-z,a then 0-9 (again randomly
distributed) in columns "A" to "AJ"
Continue down to row 36
(I used the pattern above to demonstrate no two cells in a row or
column would be the same value)

Each cell must be a random value between "a" and "z" and/or "0" and "9"
not repeated on the same row or same column.

Off of the top of my head you would have to use some type of array of
arrays, then compare each internal array to each other.

--
bgeier
bgeier's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=12822

You could fill the first row randomly, but thereafter the rows will
have to comply with the rules of the grid, so you will not have a truly
random distibution on the second row - rather a constrained
distribution. As you add more rows, the degree of constraint will
increase.

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)

Special characters for foreign text
I have several contacts in Italy or France. Can anyone help me figure ou how I can add accents and other special characters into Microsoft Office products? Marina Post <marina@rockethockey.com> wrote: Hi Marina, > I have several contacts in Italy or France. Can anyone help me figure > ou how I can add accents and other special characters into Microsoft > Office products? Same way as you'd do in other apps. You can use shortcuts on the keyboard. the Keycaps application, which is part of the system, should help you figure out what you need to type (it depends...

Can I use a header or footer more than 255 characters in Excel?
What can I do if I need to insert more than 255 characters in a header or footer in Excel 2003? And can I make some grid lines for a header or footer in Excel 2003? Thank you for your help! The combined length of all third headers or footers (left, center and right) may not exceed 255 and you cannot change it. The only 'workaround' I can think of is to create them right in the worksheet itself. -- Jim "Jin Qingfeng" <Jin Qingfeng@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4DF2013-2443-486E-9386-9C8862B96DB3@microsoft.com... | What can I do if I need to i...

Scatterplot with a best-fit line
How do i create one scatterplot with three separate data sets and a best-fit line to go with each set? Make an XY chart with the first set of X-Y values. Copy the second set of X-Y values, select the chart and use Edit menu > Paste Special, and add the data as a new series, categories in first column (row). Repeat for the third set of X-Y values. Add the trendline to each series by selecting the series, right clicking, and choosing Add Trendline. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "neally" <neall...

Insert TAB character into Outlook form fields

HELP
Hi, One of the columns in my excel has its content broken into lines. I guess each line within that column ends with a carrieage return and line feed. how can I replace these with say a "-" character? I was trying to use Find and Replace but don't know how to enter the CRLf character and if I use Alt 13 and / or Alt 10 (for cariage return and line feed) it wont fine these. Any help will be appreciated Dino has responded to his initial post. Dino Buljubasic wrote: > > Hi, > One of the columns in my excel has its content broken into lines. I > guess each line ...

Using ALT with Toolbar Character
In Great Plains 8.0, when I press the Alt key, I see toolbar button characters underlined and can press a character to choose a toolbar option. If I don't press Alt, the characters are not underlined. Is there an option I can set somewhere so that I always see the underlined characters, without first pressing Alt? Thanks! Mary Hi Mary This is actually a Windows feature as it behaves like that for all windows applications. I think there is a setting to change this behaviour but I have not been able to find it. If someone can remember where this setting is, please post it here...

Fitting characters to a grid
In Excel I will have a grid sized 36 x 36, and this grid is subdivided into 36 6 x 6 boxes. What I would like to do is auto fill the grid randomly with the characters A-Z and 0-9. However, in each row and in each column, each character will appear only once. In addition, each character will appear only once in each 6 x 6 box. Sort of like a giant Sudoku puzzle. Any idea how I could formulate this? Marcus WOW!!!:eek: You do not want much do you???:rolleyes: Just to be sure I understand. In row 1 (for example) you would have a-z then 0-9 (randomly distributed) in columns "A" ...

Traffic Lights on grid view
Hi, I have a requirement to add a cloumn which shows "Traffic Lights" on Activity grid viw based on Activity Status. Please let me know how this can be achieved. Thanks and Regards, Chandana You can have a look at this post but understand that what you want to do is not supported. http://blog.odynia.org/archives/14-Colourising-Microsoft-CRM-Grids.html "Chandana" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a requirement to add a cloumn which shows "Traffic Lights" on > Activity grid viw based on Activity Status. > Please let me know how this can be achieved...

Limitation of 5000 characters
With the ntext fields in custom entities there is a limit of 5000 characters. Can this be extended somehow? I have at least one field that is over 10000 characters and I'd like to have it within this entity. Short answer is "no". To store larger amounts of data you need to switch to attachments. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup ---------------------------------------------------------- "fcbit" <...

change order sequence at the data populate on the grid
At the select purchase order item (purchase order - receiving transaction entry - click on the auto receiving button) , currently the data at the grid is order by PO No, can i change the order sequence according to the location? ...

strip characters out of a field
Is it possible to write a formula to do the following: Take 02-Jan-03 07:47:48 and strip out the time to make the field look like 02-Jan-03 Thanks, Matt IT, We need to know if this is a text field or a date field. If it's a text field, it's simply = left(A2,9) If it's a date field, then = int(a2) or just format, cells, select "dd-mmm-yy" will probably work. regards, JohnI "IT" <fpw@texas.net> wrote in message news:n2qmkv4e5i1bc09nn65mmaefd3cn8hv18v@4ax.com... > Is it possible to write a formula to do the following: > > Take &g...

Best fit data from a best fit curve?
MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy with, and I now need to extract the corresponding actual best fit data from the curve for use in other software applications. Does someone know how? Hi, See Bernard's page, which also includes a link to Tushar's page. http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm Cheers Andy Gigi wrote: > MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to > my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy w...

how to fit a curve to
Hi there I need to draw a curve to best fit some point on a chart. is there an easy way to do this approach without going into deep programing ? thanks Have you looked at the Chart's Add Trendline facility? Right click the data on the chart and select Add trendline from the shortcut menu; on the dialog box pick the type of curve you need and specify if you want to see the equation. Come back with more questions, if needed best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "yosi_lb" <yosi_lb@bezeqint.net> wrote in message news:45c5...

can i wrap rows to form multiple rows per row to fit on 1 sheet?
i have a worksheet with very long rows (a to cf). For printing i would like to wrap the rows to fit on a single page, and then seperate each set with a space. I would also like to wrap the headers too, of course. is this possible? Say you're creating 10 columns per new row. So it kind of looks like this: $A$1 $B$1 $C$1 $D$1 $E$1 $F$1 $G$1 $H$1 $I$1 $J$1 $K$1 $L$1 $M$1 $N$1 $O$1 $P$1 $Q$1 $R$1 $S$1 $T$1 $U$1 $V$1 $W$1 $X$1 $Y$1 $Z$1 $AA$1 $AB$1 $AC$1 $AD$1 $AE$1 $AF$1 $AG$1 $AH$1 $AI$1 $AJ$1 $AK$1 $AL$1 $AM$1 $AN$1 $AO$1 $AP$1 $AQ$1 $AR$1 $AS$1 $AT$1 $AU$1 $AV$1 $AW$1 $AX$1 $AY$1 $...

Extracting a character from a string of characters
I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. Have a look in HELP index for MID -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73FB02F4-EDA0-4819-9280-3F74F4163B4E@microsoft.com... > I would like to extract the 6th character (the 5) from the following example > of a string of characters e.g.B123456789. > > If its always the 6th character use MID i.e. if B123456789 was in cell A1 =MID(a1,6,1) -- ______________________...

NUL characters Outlook 2002
Hi, I am having problems sending some emails from my Outlook 2002. It only happens with some email addresses and while the messages vary somewhat, the message is basically the same: it has to do with NUL characters. Here is one of the messages: Reporting-MTA: dns; mailhub.mail.az Arrival-Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 01:56:24 +0400 (AZT) Final-Recipient: rfc822; 'recipients email address was here' Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 554 5.6.0 Message contains NUL characters (in reply to end of DATA command) This is another message: ...

Can I sort by the strike-through characters ?
Hi there, Is there a way to sort the cells by the strike-through characters ? The strike-through applies to all characters in the cell (not onl certain characters within the cell). Thanks in advance ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com William- You've asked this 3 times already (Nov. 19, 20, 21), and I have given you an answer twice, and MVP Tom Ogilvy gave you a UDF to use. Do you not go back and read the responses to your post? Here are the suggestio...

Wrong characters displaying in SO Manager Repotrs
hello, I have problem with polish spec. characters in RMS reports. We use RMS installation version 1.3 (english version) based on Windows XP Professional SP2 PL (Polish version). When runnig any Report from Store Operation Manager, we have very strange characters in place of our polish specific like 'ą' 'ś' 'ń' etc. Does anybody know what we need to change to correct report printing ? ...

How to set a cell to expand to fit text in Excel not shrink fit
I'm not sure it this is doable but is it possible to set a cell so that it automatically displays all the text that is in there, expanding where necessary without manual changes. i don't want shrink to fit as I need to text to be of a certain size Wrapping text can be one way or install such an event sub: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column = 1 Then Columns(Target.Column).AutoFit End Sub This works on column A! Post if you need help to install it! -- Regards! Stefi „Elisal” ezt írta: > I'm not sure it ...

How to Control a formula by a character in adjacent column on same
I have the following example A 1 aaa 1 2 aaa 2 3 bbb 3 X 4 ccc 4 5 ccc 5 6 3 7 3 8 9 Cell A1 contains "aaa" Cell B1 contains "1" Cell D3 contains "X" Formula in B6 is =SUMIF(A1:A5,"A",B1:B5) and returns 3 Formula in B7 is =SUMIF(A1:A5,"B",B1:B5) and returns 3 Formula in B8 is =SUMIF(A1:A5,"C",B1:B5) and returns 9 I want to be able to add a function that will allow me to control the formula by whether there is an X on the same row a cople of columns over. So if I pu...

All Y Axis Labels won't fit on the chart
Hello, I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I have gone to as small as size 6 for font and still they won't go. Is there some way that I can make the labels "squeeze" in there? I need my charts to be a certain size, so making them larger so that they all fit is not an option. Any expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kristin barrettk@brandonrha.mb.ca On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:34:52 -0700, Kristin = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I > have gone to a...

Character Set Mix
Hello, I have created my website in my Home PC using Pub2003, before 1 month i have copy all pub-files in my laptop ( i use the same version Pub2003) and i work form there. My websites are mostly in greek language so when i open the pub file in my laptop and i press the ALT-SHIFT to change the language i always get the following message: "If you remap your keyboard to another character set, you may mix characters in your publication. This mix of characters may not show correctly in a browser. If you want to map your keyboard to a different character se pless OK to ...

Column character width on auto filter
When auto filter is used on a column, there are rows that are not displayed in the drop down window. Found that there are about 60 blanks following the last valid character in the rows that did not display in the drop down window. This only made the cell contain 85 characters which is far from the advertised limit. There are only 328 rows also. Two questions: Is there an easy way to truncate the column to eleminate the following "0's"? What could have been the cause of them not to display within the drop down window view under auto filter? Thanks Floyd III...

Shrink to Fit
I have not been able to locate an answer for my Excel annoyance. Why is it that when you go to Format Cells --> Alignment --> Text Control that the Shrink to Fit checkbox is sometimes grayed out? Is there some sort of global control that prevents this, or is it more mundane? Thanks for the help. -- jzapatka There may be other reasons, but there is not a global setting. It certainly becomes unavailable when there is a hard line feed (Alt+Enter) and when the setting 'wrap text' is on -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.c...

Lookup a value that fits two (2) criterion
I need to find a value that is identified by 2 criterion. For example, I need to identify the profit of brand y in store 91 (7.0). A vlookup only considers one criterion, so I need to crossreference with another. Store Brand Sales Profit Index 91 x 12.6 6.5 0.9 91 y 11.3 7.0 0.7 91 z 19.4 8.3 1 33 x 11.3 7.1 0.6 33 y 10.0 7.0 0.9 33 z ...