finding values in a sum

if you have an array of numbers and want to identify
which of those numbers add up to a specified value, is there a function
in excel that can help you to find the correct combination of numbers.

eg in a simple example; if the array of numbers was 2,3,5,6 and the
specified value was 9, we know the only combination of numbers from this
array that would sum to give the value 9 are 6 & 3, however
with a larger array of numbers (20) or more, it would be more difficult
solve the problem manually.

0
mgrwhite (1)
10/19/2003 1:57:30 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=e3iWLUiYDHA.2960%40tk2msftngp13.phx.
gbl

See my previous post on this

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

M Randall <mgrwhite@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> if you have an array of numbers and want to identify
> which of those numbers add up to a specified value, is there a function
> in excel that can help you to find the correct combination of numbers.
>
> eg in a simple example; if the array of numbers was 2,3,5,6 and the
> specified value was 9, we know the only combination of numbers from this
> array that would sum to give the value 9 are 6 & 3, however
> with a larger array of numbers (20) or more, it would be more difficult
> solve the problem manually.

0
twogilvy (1078)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Conditional Number Formatting & Selective Summing
Attached is the workbook I need help with. From what I have bee discovering from the Excel Macro-VBA Editor-Help screens, what I wan to do should require fairly simple VBA code. However, I have no VB coding experience or skills (the VBA code in Module 3 was gleaned fro the Excel Tips Forum. Thank you Harlan Grove) Sheets �Run� through �Run (30)� are identical, except that the cel formulas on sheets 2-30 are only active if the active sheet i �Enabled� by the user and will only populate with pulled data if al preceding sheets are �Enabled�. The nature of the workbook is such tha a user will alw...

Referencing the Seconday Y axis scale values in code
Does anyone know how to Reference the Seconday Y axis scale values in code? I am automating a spreadsheet that uses a chart and i need to adjust these values at run time. I'm using Visual Basic. Thanks! Hi Ken, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to coding but the following KB article may point you in the right direction? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213695 Cheers, Katherine "Ken Ramirez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093901c398be$4b49ecd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Reference the S...

Look at field, check to see if that value exists in another table and act accordingly.
Hello ms.pub.access, I've been assigned to generate a DB to help analyze certain capability deficiencies within the US Army. I'm at a real show stopper based on my current knowledge level. I'm in need of some kind of routine that will check the value of the 'Tier3' field against a list of high priority tier3 values located in a separate table called 'mpmi'. If a high priority tier3 value is found within my table 'analyze' from field 'tier3' then I need the routine to generate a score of 1 and place it into the field called 'score'. If it...

Picklist Default Values ?
A problem: After a Lead is converted to an Opportunity, the new Opportunity has NULL values in the OpportunityBase table and CRMOpportunity.Retrieve cant access any picklist values for that Opportunity. Is there a way to access the default values for the picklist, perhaps through SQL ? The default values appear on the opportunity in the user interface - surely they must be there somewhere - or are they ? I have seen this problem posted but without any good solutions yet. Thanks. S picklist values are stored in the stringmap table "SuperSonic Steve" <lafleur@canadiensfan.c...

Advanced Find not finding all
"Advanced Find" in Outlook 2007 is not finding all email messages which match the criteria. It finds between 30 and 200 and then stops. I then have to work with those (e.g., delete them) and then click "Find Now" again to find another batch, dozens of times! What is wrong? How do I fix this and find all messages that match the criteria? My typical application is to split the entire contents of my .pst files by date. Do do this I make a copy of the file. In one I delete all messages older than the cutoff date (e.g., 1/1/2007), and in the other I delete all messages yo...

How to: find reason for rejected messages?
I'm trying to find the reason, why certain messages get rejected by our exchange 2000 server. Is there a way to find out? Scenario: pullmail gets mails from pop3 mailboxes from, let's say "internetmailserver.com" and puts it in our exchange server "intranet.com". For most mails it works marvellous but for some mails it just fails and I can only see (output of pullmail command): .... 1 messages waiting << +OK 8488322 octets Message from: some.user@validdomain.com to: user@intranet.com SMTP message rejected, reply OK Unexpected response rsion:...