finding common numbers in large lists

Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate worksheets).
  By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second list
is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell).   The numbers are
of the form:
xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the
decimal)

1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are common
to both lists?

2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists using
only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the
decimal of each number)?

Thanks!
0
juicymixx (2)
11/11/2004 7:11:41 PM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
see:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#ExtractingCommon

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Jenn" <juicymixx@mailinator.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello, I have two large lists of numbers (on two seperate
worksheets).
>   By large, I mean that one list is 1000+ numbers, and the second
list
> is 3000+ numbers (each number is in its own cell).   The numbers are
> of the form:
> xxxx.xxx (that is, they are precise up to three places after the
> decimal)
>
> 1) Is there some quick way that I can find the numbers that are
common
> to both lists?
>
> 2) Is there a way I can find the numbers in common to both lists
using
> only the whole number portion (diregarding what comes after the
> decimal of each number)?
>
> Thanks!

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Add space after each numbered or bulleted item
I need to make rather long lists of paragraphs that are several lines long. The numbered list feature forces a new number and a new line upon hitting enter. this is expected behavior. However, I need a space between the items to make each item stand out. In Word if I hit enter again, a new number is issued as expected. However if I arrow up to the first empty space and hit the backspace, the number will be removed, the following number will be changed to next sequential number and the empty line remain. Publisher, however insists on starting a new number sequence. Is there any way to c...

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

how do i get negative numbers in brackets in Excel
i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets but this is the accounting convention is it hidden in excel or do i need a plug in Hi Maverick, Enter numbers using the minus symbol, but format your cells: Format => Cells => Number [tab] and in the Type box, enter "#,##0.00_ ;[Red](#,##0.00) " (without the quotation marks). Ewan. "maverick accountant" wrote: > i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets > but this is the accounting convention > is it hidden in excel > or do i need a plug in ...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

List Validation
I was wondering if there was anyway you can have a drop down list in one workbook that comes from a different workbook. Example: I have a workbook saved with a list of names and I want to have that list of names come up in a form that I have saved in another workbook. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html note that the other workbook needs to be open -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey "Renee" <...

Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers
With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14 characters. Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20 characters. After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect. The support team responded that this change was by design. They claimed that the change was made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters". This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect) is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons. 1) C...

Limits in 'All Address Lists'?
Hi all! I try to rebuild a large number (~2000) of Ex5.5 recipient-containers in the E2k3 'all address lists' container. The LDAP filter for each address list is set on to the EX5.5 attribute 'obj-view-containers' (transferred to 'extension-Attribute-14' by ADC). I recognized that the AD-user attribute 'ShowInAddressBook' is a multi-valued field, with a limitation of around 800 entries (RUS won't work with more entries). This doesn't matter, because a recipient belongs only to 1 address list in most cases. Meanwhile I created about 1200 address lists...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

using new List<String>();
Hello, I wonder do I create a memory leak by using private void myFunc() { List<String> joblist = new List<string>(); // ... add a alot of string into the joblist } and then call myFunc "repeatedly" from the main program It feels like I should return the memory somehow, but how? // Anders -- English is not my first language so any error, insults or strangeness has happend during the translation. Please correct my English so that I may become better at it! On 5/26/2010 11:02, Anders Eriksson wrote: > Hello, > > I wonder do I crea...

cannot open large Excell files attachment in outlook 2003
hi, I cannot open large excell file attachment in the outlook 2003. cannot save it on the computer..plz lemme know thankz ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...

VBA Multi Number-Letter Sort
I'm sorting a list of old in-stock items, example: GEARS / 1/8_spur 1/4_spur rack_1/4pitch. It was all put into a single column. Now I could count left/ middle etc and send it to a different sheet then sort the sheet etc etc etc etc. I would be very happy if I could find a link to a source of vba code I could change or use just to sort things like "3rd # 8 before 3rd # 4" or "W18x21 after W8x10" . Can I do this simply with vba, I keep looking but it does not look promising. just wandering thanks rentapen ...

Conditional Number Formatting & Selective Summing
Attached is the workbook I need help with. From what I have bee discovering from the Excel Macro-VBA Editor-Help screens, what I wan to do should require fairly simple VBA code. However, I have no VB coding experience or skills (the VBA code in Module 3 was gleaned fro the Excel Tips Forum. Thank you Harlan Grove) Sheets �Run� through �Run (30)� are identical, except that the cel formulas on sheets 2-30 are only active if the active sheet i �Enabled� by the user and will only populate with pulled data if al preceding sheets are �Enabled�. The nature of the workbook is such tha a user will alw...

List box (and queries) not sorting dates or showing correct headers
G'day all, I have inherited a system with a search function screen that is acting weird. There are actually two search screens, both constructed in a similar fashion, but the first does what it is supposed to do and the second is misbehaving. The form has a bunch of unbound controls allowing the user to enter search criteria. The only mandatory criteria is the sort order, which is set from a combo box. The data source for the combo box is a table, sys_GAPSSortBy, which contains a list of query names and a user- friendly label for use by the combo box. When the user clicks the "Searc...