Finding Cells that Total a Value

Hello Friends,

I need some assistance in solving a problem.  I have a spreadsheet with
over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions
are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that
will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the
account should be zero.  To clarify, if we owe client money, there
would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment
on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple
transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive.
So at the end of the day, the account should be zero. I need to locate
the transactions that are creating the balance (each line is a
transaction).   I need a function to cycle through the cells to try and
identify possible entries that could cause the specific deviation. It
could be a single entry that equals the deviation, or it could be 5
separate cells that when summed up equal the deviation. I would need to
setup the depth of the search, and then construct a table of all of the
possible solutions.   Anyone know how I can do this?

0
JLKaye (1)
8/17/2006 3:48:18 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

      Find numbers that add up to a specified sum.
      Niek Otten
      5-Apr-06

      This type of application tends to be very resource-consuming. It is wise to test a solution first with a limited
      set of data
      One option is using Solver; I include an example given by MVP Peo Sjoblom. The other is a rather famous VBA Sub by Harlan
Grove. There seems to be one flaw: if the table is sorted ascending and the first n numbers sum up to the required value exactly,
it will miss that combination. I don't know if this has been corrected later.
      Note the requirements for your settings documented in the code itself

      Peo's solution:
      One way but you need the solver add-in installed (it comes with
      excel/office,check under tools>add-ins)
      put the data set in let's say A2:A8, in B2:B8 put a set of ones {1,1,1 etc}
      in the adjacent cells
      in C2 put 8, in D2 put
      #VALUE!
      select D2 and do tools>solver, set target cell $D$2 (should come up
      automatically if selected)
      Equal to a Value of 8, by changing cells $B$2:$B$7, click add under  Subject
      to the constraints of:
      in Cell reference put
      $B$2:$B$7
      from dropdown select Bin, click OK and click Solve, Keep solver solution
      and look at the table
      2         1
      4         0
      5         0
      6         1
      9         0
      13       0
      there you can see that 4 ones have been replaced by zeros and the adjacent
      cells to the 2 ones
      total 8
      --
      Regards,
      Peo Sjoblom

      'Begin VBA Code

      ' By Harlan Grove

      Sub findsums()
      'This *REQUIRES* VBAProject references to
        'Microsoft Scripting Runtime
        'Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 1.0 or higher

        Const TOL As Double = 0.000001  'modify as needed
        Dim c As Variant

        Dim j As Long, k As Long, n As Long, p As Boolean
        Dim s As String, t As Double, u As Double
        Dim v As Variant, x As Variant, y As Variant
        Dim dc1 As New Dictionary, dc2 As New Dictionary
        Dim dcn As Dictionary, dco As Dictionary
        Dim re As New RegExp

        re.Global = True
        re.IgnoreCase = True

        On Error Resume Next

        Set x = Application.InputBox( _
          Prompt:="Enter range of values:", _
          Title:="findsums", _
          Default:="", _
          Type:=8 _
        )

        If x Is Nothing Then
          Err.Clear
          Exit Sub
        End If

        y = Application.InputBox( _
          Prompt:="Enter target value:", _
          Title:="findsums", _
          Default:="", _
          Type:=1 _
        )

        If VarType(y) = vbBoolean Then
          Exit Sub
        Else
          t = y
        End If

        On Error GoTo 0

        Set dco = dc1
        Set dcn = dc2

        Call recsoln

        For Each y In x.Value2
          If VarType(y) = vbDouble Then
            If Abs(t - y) < TOL Then
              recsoln "+" & Format(y)

            ElseIf dco.Exists(y) Then
              dco(y) = dco(y) + 1

            ElseIf y < t - TOL Then
              dco.Add Key:=y, Item:=1

              c = CDec(c + 1)
              Application.StatusBar = "[1] " & Format(c)

            End If

          End If
        Next y

        n = dco.Count

        ReDim v(1 To n, 1 To 3)

        For k = 1 To n
          v(k, 1) = dco.Keys(k - 1)
          v(k, 2) = dco.Items(k - 1)
        Next k

        qsortd v, 1, n

        For k = n To 1 Step -1
          v(k, 3) = v(k, 1) * v(k, 2) + v(IIf(k = n, n, k + 1), 3)
          If v(k, 3) > t Then dcn.Add Key:="+" & _
            Format(v(k, 1)), Item:=v(k, 1)
        Next k

        On Error GoTo CleanUp
        Application.EnableEvents = False

        For k = 2 To n
          dco.RemoveAll
          swapo dco, dcn

          For Each y In dco.Keys
            p = False

            For j = 1 To n
              If v(j, 3) < t - dco(y) - TOL Then Exit For
              x = v(j, 1)
              s = "+" & Format(x)
              If Right(y, Len(s)) = s Then p = True
              If p Then
                re.Pattern = "\" & s & "(?=(\+|$))"
                If re.Execute(y).Count < v(j, 2) Then
                  u = dco(y) + x
                  If Abs(t - u) < TOL Then
                    recsoln y & s
                  ElseIf u < t - TOL Then
                    dcn.Add Key:=y & s, Item:=u
                    c = CDec(c + 1)
                    Application.StatusBar = "[" & Format(k) & "] " & _
                        Format(c)
                  End If
                End If
              End If
            Next j
          Next y

          If dcn.Count = 0 Then Exit For
        Next k

        If (recsoln() = 0) Then _
          MsgBox Prompt:="all combinations exhausted", _
            Title:="No Solution"

      CleanUp:
        Application.EnableEvents = True
        Application.StatusBar = False

      End Sub

      Private Function recsoln(Optional s As String)
        Const OUTPUTWSN As String = "findsums solutions"  'modify to taste

        Static r As Range
        Dim ws As Worksheet

        If s = "" And r Is Nothing Then
          On Error Resume Next
          Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(OUTPUTWSN)
          If ws Is Nothing Then
            Err.Clear
            Application.ScreenUpdating = False
            Set ws = ActiveSheet
            Set r = Worksheets.Add.Range("A1")
            r.Parent.Name = OUTPUTWSN
            ws.Activate
            Application.ScreenUpdating = False
          Else
            ws.Cells.Clear
            Set r = ws.Range("A1")
          End If
          recsoln = 0
        ElseIf s = "" Then
          recsoln = r.Row - 1
          Set r = Nothing
        Else
          r.Value = s
          Set r = r.Offset(1, 0)
          recsoln = r.Row - 1
        End If
      End Function

      Private Sub qsortd(v As Variant, lft As Long, rgt As Long)
        'ad hoc quicksort subroutine
        'translated from Aho, Weinberger & Kernighan,
        '"The Awk Programming Language", page 161

        Dim j As Long, pvt As Long

        If (lft >= rgt) Then Exit Sub
        swap2 v, lft, lft + Int((rgt - lft + 1) * Rnd)
        pvt = lft
        For j = lft + 1 To rgt
          If v(j, 1) > v(lft, 1) Then
            pvt = pvt + 1
            swap2 v, pvt, j
          End If
        Next j

        swap2 v, lft, pvt

        qsortd v, lft, pvt - 1
        qsortd v, pvt + 1, rgt
      End Sub

      Private Sub swap2(v As Variant, i As Long, j As Long)
        'modified version of the swap procedure from
        'translated from Aho, Weinberger & Kernighan,
        '"The Awk Programming Language", page 161

        Dim t As Variant, k As Long

        For k = LBound(v, 2) To UBound(v, 2)
          t = v(i, k)
          v(i, k) = v(j, k)
          v(j, k) = t
        Next k
      End Sub

      Private Sub swapo(a As Object, b As Object)
        Dim t As Object

        Set t = a
        Set a = b
        Set b = t
      End Sub
      '---- end VBA code ----
            Pasting a User Defined Function (UDF)
            Niek Otten, March 31, 2006

            If you find a VBA function on the Internet or somebody mails you one, and you don't know how to implement it, follow
these steps:

            Select all the text of the function.
            CTRL+C (that is, press and hold down the CTRL key, press C, release both). This a shortcut for Copy.
            Go to Excel. Press ALT+F11 (same method: press and hold the ALT key, press the F11 key and release both). You are now
in the Visual Basic Editor (VBE).
            From the menu bar, choose Insert>Module. There should now be a blank module sheet in front of you. Click in it and
then press CTRL+V (same method.). This a shortcut for Paste. You should now see the text of the function in the Module.
            Press ALT+F11 again to return to your Excel worksheet.
            You should now be able to use the function as if it were a built-in function of Excel, like =SUM(..)

      Kind regards,

      Niek Otten
      Microsoft MVP - Excel

<JLKaye@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1155786498.667923.325810@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
| Hello Friends,
|
| I need some assistance in solving a problem.  I have a spreadsheet with
| over five hundred lines of transactions. The sum of these transactions
| are creating a balance on the account. Is there any formula/macro that
| will help me find the transactions creating the balance? The sum of the
| account should be zero.  To clarify, if we owe client money, there
| would be a transaction setting up that postive balance then a payment
| on the account taking it back to zero. There could be multiple
| transactions and then one net payment. Or we could be due to receive.
| So at the end of the day, the account should be zero. I need to locate
| the transactions that are creating the balance (each line is a
| transaction).   I need a function to cycle through the cells to try and
| identify possible entries that could cause the specific deviation. It
| could be a single entry that equals the deviation, or it could be 5
| separate cells that when summed up equal the deviation. I would need to
| setup the depth of the search, and then construct a table of all of the
| possible solutions.   Anyone know how I can do this?

0
nicolaus (2022)

Inbox unread total does not change
I have a problem with one Outlook installation in my office. The number on the right of the Inbox, which should reflect the number of unread messages, is the total of all the messages in the Inbox - both unread and read. How do I fix this? >-----Original Message----- >I have a problem with one Outlook installation in my >office. The number on the right of the Inbox, which should >reflect the number of unread messages, is the total of all >the messages in the Inbox - both unread and read. > >How do I fix this? >. >What version of Outlook are you running? ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

delete drop-down box in cell
I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have trie using clear contents, delete cell, the delete button on the keyboard Can someone please tell me how to remove this box from the cell. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi might be one created by data / validation ... click on the cell choose data / validation choose Clear All regards JulieD "brain77 >" <<brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:brain77.1apguz@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a problem removing a drop-down list box in a cell and have tr...

VBA to insert .xlborder if cell value not equal to previous cell
I've got a worksheet and I'm wondering whether it is possible to insert a line when a value in Column A, B, C & D does not equal the values in the row above or below it. I've currently got a formula in Column A that reads.... =IF(AND(B3=B2,C3=C2,D3=D2,E3=E2),"","IL") and a conditional format that if the cell value is equal to "IL" then put a border. Wondering if there is a better way to do this via VBA or is that the better way? In your conditional formatting formula, instead of =A1="IL" (which I assume is what you've...

Find (but not find)

Return "cell reference"
Hi. How to do the following: 1) Return the cell reference of the cell eg: Type this formula in cell A1: =return_cell_reference_of_that_cell() {The above is a fictitious formula only} The answer will be A1. Preferably, it is great for me to decide on how the reference is displayed, eg: - absolute (ie $A$1) or - column-absolute (ie $A1) or - row-absolute (ie A$1) - relative (ie A1) 2) Return cell reference(s) of the target eg: Type this formula in cell B1: =return_cell_reference(target_cell) {The above is a fictitious formula only} eg: =return_cell_reference(A3) Answer: A3 =return_cell_refe...

is there a comand to return the mane of a worksheet inside a cell
Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi Fabian Try this, =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) This one will give you the full path: =CELL("filename") HTH John "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140C847D-2C3A-49F6-9C60-9515B426AD5E@microsoft.com... > Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi, =MID(CELL("filename...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Hiding Cells
How do you hide cells without having to hide the entire column or rows? Hi McNiwram! You can hide the contents by formatting the font the same color as the background. You can hide formulas in the formula bar by using: Format > Cells > Protection Place check against "Hidden" OK Note that this doesn't come into effect until the worksheet is protected using the Tools menu. -- -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "McNiwram&...

cannot find database

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

Losing cell borders when I copy and paste
When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. What am I doing wrong? Are you copying a bordered cell onto an un-bordered cell? Format from source will go with the source. If copying an unbordered cell onto a blank bordered cell, source format will wipe the target cell format. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:47:00 -0700, Davo <Davo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. >What am I doing wrong? Try paste special -> Values. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt &qu...

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

Can I place visible text in cell that won't print
Is it possible for me to place text in some cells where I can see the text but that will not print when my sheet is printed. I am aware of the comment feature that becomes visible when the mouse hovers over the small red symbol. I would like to be able to see what is in the cell without having to hover the mouse over each cell to see a comment. Is this possible? Thank you for any direction here. Jerry There are a few possible solutions. One is to use the comment as you noted, but you can have them always display even without the mouse hovering over it by using Tools/Options/View and se...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?