Find/replace with different text colour messes up

When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
instead of just the word that was searched on.



To see this in action, try this:



  1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
  2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
  3.. Open up Search/Replace
  4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
  5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
  6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
  7.. Click OK
  8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
"Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the 
word
"test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
  9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...


Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
the entire cell!

Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until 
then,
is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting 
anything
else in the given cell - using find/replace?

Thanks,

- Asbjoern 


0
asbjoerna (2)
7/9/2005 7:25:55 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

11 Replies
702 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

I like that, but since I'm from out here in the sticks (boonies), what
version is this in?
-- 
Regards,

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"mystp" <asbjoerna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bxVze.136$eH3.115@news.get2net.dk...
> When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> instead of just the word that was searched on.
>
>
>
> To see this in action, try this:
>
>
>
>   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
>   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance.
Now,
> let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
>   3.. Open up Search/Replace
>   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
>   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
>   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then
select
> the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down
box.
>   7.. Click OK
>   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> word
> "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
>   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
>
>
> Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> the entire cell!
>
> Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> then,
> is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> anything
> else in the given cell - using find/replace?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Asbjoern
>
>

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
7/9/2005 7:36:25 PM
This is in Excel 2003 (version 11.6355.6408 SP1 to be exact)

Kind regards,
- Asbjoern

"RagDyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message 
news:Om3xP2LhFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I like that, but since I'm from out here in the sticks (boonies), what
> version is this in?
> -- 
> Regards,
>
> RD
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "mystp" <asbjoerna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:bxVze.136$eH3.115@news.get2net.dk...
>> When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a 
>> different
>> colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
>> instead of just the word that was searched on.
>>
>>
>>
>> To see this in action, try this:
>>
>>
>>
>>   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
>>   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance.
> Now,
>> let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
>>   3.. Open up Search/Replace
>>   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
>>   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
>>   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then
> select
>> the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down
> box.
>>   7.. Click OK
>>   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
>> "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
>> word
>> "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
>>   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
>>
>>
>> Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has 
>> coloured
>> the entire cell!
>>
>> Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
>> then,
>> is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
>> anything
>> else in the given cell - using find/replace?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Asbjoern
>>
>>
> 


0
asbjoerna (2)
7/9/2005 7:56:29 PM
Saved from a previous post (or two!):

If you want to change the color of just the characters, you need VBA in all
versions.

You want a macro????

Option Explicit
Option Compare Text
Sub testme()

    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    Dim myWords As Variant
    Dim myRng As Range
    Dim foundCell As Range
    Dim iCtr As Long 'word counter
    Dim cCtr As Long 'character counter
    Dim FirstAddress As String
    Dim AllFoundCells As Range
    Dim myCell As Range
        
    'add other words here
    myWords = Array("widgets")
    
    Set myRng = Selection
    
    On Error Resume Next
    Set myRng = Intersect(myRng, _
                  myRng.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues))
    On Error GoTo 0
    
    If myRng Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Please choose a range that contains text constants!"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    
    For iCtr = LBound(myWords) To UBound(myWords)
        FirstAddress = ""
        Set foundCell = Nothing
        With myRng
            Set foundCell = .Find(what:=myWords(iCtr), _
                                LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, _
                                after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count))
                                
            If foundCell Is Nothing Then
                MsgBox myWords(iCtr) & " wasn't found!"
            Else
                Set AllFoundCells = foundCell
                FirstAddress = foundCell.Address
                Do
                    If AllFoundCells Is Nothing Then
                        Set AllFoundCells = foundCell
                    Else
                        Set AllFoundCells = Union(foundCell, AllFoundCells)
                    End If
                    Set foundCell = .FindNext(foundCell)
                    
                Loop While Not foundCell Is Nothing _
                    And foundCell.Address <> FirstAddress
            End If
                    
        End With
        
        If AllFoundCells Is Nothing Then
            'do nothing
        Else
            For Each myCell In AllFoundCells.Cells
                For cCtr = 1 To Len(myCell.Value)
                    If Mid(myCell.Value, cCtr, Len(myWords(iCtr))) _
                              = myWords(iCtr) Then
                        myCell.Characters(Start:=cCtr, _
                                            Length:=Len(myWords(iCtr))) _
                                               .Font.colorindex = 3
                    End If
                Next cCtr
            Next myCell
        End If
    Next iCtr
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

This line:
                        myCell.Characters(Start:=cCtr, _
                                            Length:=Len(myWords(iCtr))) _
                                               .Font.colorindex = 3
changes the color.

mystp wrote:
> 
> When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> instead of just the word that was searched on.
> 
> To see this in action, try this:
> 
>   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
>   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
>   3.. Open up Search/Replace
>   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
>   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
>   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
>   7.. Click OK
>   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> word
> "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
>   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> 
> Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> the entire cell!
> 
> Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> then,
> is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> anything
> else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> - Asbjoern

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/9/2005 8:16:35 PM
I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my 
cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and 
replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all 
italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched 
HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.  
NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.  

"mystp" wrote:

> When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> instead of just the word that was searched on.
> 
> 
> 
> To see this in action, try this:
> 
> 
> 
>   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
>   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
>   3.. Open up Search/Replace
>   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
>   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
>   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
>   7.. Click OK
>   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the 
> word
> "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
>   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> 
> 
> Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> the entire cell!
> 
> Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until 
> then,
> is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting 
> anything
> else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> - Asbjoern 
> 
> 
> 
0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 1:53:01 AM
When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
trouble?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be

or

http://tinyurl.com/drb72



jwa90010 wrote:
> 
> I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> 
> "mystp" wrote:
> 
> > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> >
> >
> >
> > To see this in action, try this:
> >
> >
> >
> >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> >   7.. Click OK
> >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > word
> > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> >
> >
> > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > the entire cell!
> >
> > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > then,
> > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > anything
> > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Asbjoern
> >
> >
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/22/2005 11:45:51 AM
Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your 
instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am 
self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business 
uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the 
only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program., 
then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program 
properly.  Joy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> trouble?
> 
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> 
> or
> 
> http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> 
> 
> 
> jwa90010 wrote:
> > 
> > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > 
> > "mystp" wrote:
> > 
> > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > To see this in action, try this:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > >   7.. Click OK
> > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > word
> > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > >
> > >
> > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > the entire cell!
> > >
> > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > then,
> > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > anything
> > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > - Asbjoern
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 1:24:01 PM
Nope.  You did everything correctly.  It's just the way excel works.

You have another macro response at your other post.  

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

If this is important, it might be worth taking a little time to learn some VBA.

jwa90010 wrote:
> 
> Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your
> instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am
> self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business
> uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the
> only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program.,
> then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program
> properly.  Joy
> 
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> 
> > When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> > trouble?
> >
> > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> >
> >
> >
> > jwa90010 wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > >
> > > "mystp" wrote:
> > >
> > > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > To see this in action, try this:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > > >   7.. Click OK
> > > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > > word
> > > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > > the entire cell!
> > > >
> > > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > > then,
> > > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > > anything
> > > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > - Asbjoern
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/22/2005 1:35:10 PM
Dave, Thank you for your help.  I have bookmarked the macro introduction you 
suggested for another day.   I am on a project deadline and can't take time 
right now to learn programming.  But now that I know that what I want to do 
can't be done, I'll have to find another way or use another program.  You've 
been kind.  It is appreceated.  Joy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Nope.  You did everything correctly.  It's just the way excel works.
> 
> You have another macro response at your other post.  
> 
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> 
> If this is important, it might be worth taking a little time to learn some VBA.
> 
> jwa90010 wrote:
> > 
> > Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your
> > instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am
> > self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business
> > uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the
> > only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program.,
> > then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program
> > properly.  Joy
> > 
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > 
> > > When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> > > trouble?
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > > > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > > > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > > > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > > > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > > > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > > >
> > > > "mystp" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > To see this in action, try this:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > > > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > > > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > > > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > > > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > > > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > > > >   7.. Click OK
> > > > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > > > word
> > > > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > > > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > > > the entire cell!
> > > > >
> > > > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > > > then,
> > > > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > > > anything
> > > > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks,
> > > > >
> > > > > - Asbjoern
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 2:18:02 PM
You may want to post followups to all your posts that you're working on your
solution.

No sense making others try to do the same work.

jwa90010 wrote:
> 
> Dave, Thank you for your help.  I have bookmarked the macro introduction you
> suggested for another day.   I am on a project deadline and can't take time
> right now to learn programming.  But now that I know that what I want to do
> can't be done, I'll have to find another way or use another program.  You've
> been kind.  It is appreceated.  Joy
> 
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> 
> > Nope.  You did everything correctly.  It's just the way excel works.
> >
> > You have another macro response at your other post.
> >
> > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> >
> > If this is important, it might be worth taking a little time to learn some VBA.
> >
> > jwa90010 wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your
> > > instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am
> > > self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business
> > > uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the
> > > only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program.,
> > > then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program
> > > properly.  Joy
> > >
> > > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > >
> > > > When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> > > > trouble?
> > > >
> > > > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> > > >
> > > > or
> > > >
> > > > http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > > > > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > > > > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > > > > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > > > > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > > > > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > > "mystp" wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > > > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > > > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > To see this in action, try this:
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > > > > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > > > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > > > > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > > > > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > > > > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > > > > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > > > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > > > > >   7.. Click OK
> > > > > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > > > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > > > > word
> > > > > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > > > > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > > > > the entire cell!
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > > > > then,
> > > > > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > > > > anything
> > > > > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thanks,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Asbjoern
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > >
> > > > Dave Peterson
> > > >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
7/22/2005 2:23:02 PM
Will do.  Thanks.  Joy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You may want to post followups to all your posts that you're working on your
> solution.
> 
> No sense making others try to do the same work.
> 
> jwa90010 wrote:
> > 
> > Dave, Thank you for your help.  I have bookmarked the macro introduction you
> > suggested for another day.   I am on a project deadline and can't take time
> > right now to learn programming.  But now that I know that what I want to do
> > can't be done, I'll have to find another way or use another program.  You've
> > been kind.  It is appreceated.  Joy
> > 
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > 
> > > Nope.  You did everything correctly.  It's just the way excel works.
> > >
> > > You have another macro response at your other post.
> > >
> > > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> > >
> > > If this is important, it might be worth taking a little time to learn some VBA.
> > >
> > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your
> > > > instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am
> > > > self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business
> > > > uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the
> > > > only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program.,
> > > > then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program
> > > > properly.  Joy
> > > >
> > > > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> > > > > trouble?
> > > > >
> > > > > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> > > > >
> > > > > or
> > > > >
> > > > > http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > > > > > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > > > > > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > > > > > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > > > > > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > > > > > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "mystp" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > > > > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > > > > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > To see this in action, try this:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > > > > > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > > > > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > > > > > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > > > > > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > > > > > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > > > > > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > > > > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > > > > > >   7.. Click OK
> > > > > > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > > > > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > > > > > word
> > > > > > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > > > > > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > > > > > the entire cell!
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > > > > > then,
> > > > > > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > > > > > anything
> > > > > > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Thanks,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > - Asbjoern
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > >
> > > > > Dave Peterson
> > > > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 3:06:04 PM
Seems macros are the only way to go.  Will learn macros now.  Thanks.  Joy

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You may want to post followups to all your posts that you're working on your
> solution.
> 
> No sense making others try to do the same work.
> 
> jwa90010 wrote:
> > 
> > Dave, Thank you for your help.  I have bookmarked the macro introduction you
> > suggested for another day.   I am on a project deadline and can't take time
> > right now to learn programming.  But now that I know that what I want to do
> > can't be done, I'll have to find another way or use another program.  You've
> > been kind.  It is appreceated.  Joy
> > 
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > 
> > > Nope.  You did everything correctly.  It's just the way excel works.
> > >
> > > You have another macro response at your other post.
> > >
> > > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> > >
> > > If this is important, it might be worth taking a little time to learn some VBA.
> > >
> > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi, Thanks for your response.  I don't know how to do macros.   I read your
> > > > instructions, which said VBA.  I don't know what that means.  I am
> > > > self-employed and use the Microsoft Office components for a lot of business
> > > > uses.  Unfortunately I have not had time to learn basic programming.  Is the
> > > > only way to fix this problem to write a macro?  It is a flaw in the program.,
> > > > then?  I thought maybe I just didn't understand how to use the program
> > > > properly.  Joy
> > > >
> > > > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > When you tried modifying the macro that was in that same thread, did you have
> > > > > trouble?
> > > > >
> > > > > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/8764ea671f62ddea/0fd78c85ea1357be
> > > > >
> > > > > or
> > > > >
> > > > > http://tinyurl.com/drb72
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > jwa90010 wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I'm having the same problem.   Only not with color.  With Italics.  If my
> > > > > > cell is a mixture of italics and regular font text and I do a find and
> > > > > > replace of a single word, it automatically changes the formatting to all
> > > > > > italics.  Does anyone have a solution for these problems?  I have searched
> > > > > > HELP and I have searched the Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Office web sites.
> > > > > > NOTHING is discussed on this formatting problem.  HELPPPP!!!!  Thanks.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > "mystp" wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > When doing a Find/Replace on a certain word that needs to have a different
> > > > > > > colour than default - say, red - Excel incorrectly colours the whole cell
> > > > > > > instead of just the word that was searched on.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > To see this in action, try this:
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >   1.. Open up a blank Excel sheet
> > > > > > >   2.. Enter some text in a few cells - "This is a test", for instance. Now,
> > > > > > > let's try to use search/replace to colour only the word "test" in red.
> > > > > > >   3.. Open up Search/Replace
> > > > > > >   4.. On the "Search for"-line, enter: test
> > > > > > >   5.. On the "Replace with"-line, enter: test
> > > > > > >   6.. For the "Replace with:"-line, choose Format, then Formats, then select
> > > > > > > the Font-pane and then choose a red colour under the Colours drop-down box.
> > > > > > >   7.. Click OK
> > > > > > >   8.. Now you should see a line saying "__ example __" in red in the
> > > > > > > "Replace with:"-region, and we should technically be ready to replace the
> > > > > > > word
> > > > > > > "test" in the default colour with the same word in red.
> > > > > > >   9.. Click "Replace all" and watch what happens...
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Instead of colouring just the word "test" in each cell, Excel has coloured
> > > > > > > the entire cell!
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Hopefully, this bug will be addressed in an upcoming patch... but until
> > > > > > > then,
> > > > > > > is there another way of colouring just a single word - without affecting
> > > > > > > anything
> > > > > > > else in the given cell - using find/replace?
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Thanks,
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > - Asbjoern
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > >
> > > > > Dave Peterson
> > > > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
jwa90010 (10)
7/22/2005 3:10:03 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

I need to compare 3 numbers and find the one in the middle
I have three numbers in a single row and would like to identify the middle number enter that number in another cell. Example: 1st # 2nd # 3rd # result 628 678 720 678 655 625 700 655 748 720 725 725 is there a function in excel that can do this? Thanks, Eddie Try =LARGE(A1:C1,2) VBA Noo -- VBA Noo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- VBA Noob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3383 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=56811 fasteddie wrote.....

Find Duplicate names and delate
Dear experts, I have a small doubt could you clarify that??? That is I find duplicate name but I want to delete one name only, if I filter DUPLICATE….. both names are showing… 1. Select the range of data including the header. You need to have headers for these columns 2. From menu Data>Filter>Advanced Filter>Copy to another location 3. In 'copy to' specify the target cell and check 'Unique records only' 4. Click OK will give you the unique list -- Jacob "Find Duplicate names and delate" wrote: > Dear experts, > I have a small ...

Publisher cuts off text from word file that I am pasting into tex.
What does "Type your message here" mean to you? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Let me guess the question... You paste Word text into a Publisher text box and it doesn't fit. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DeborahKB" <DeborahKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F29CD723-545B-4A7C-8ACA-DD5092DCE101@microsoft.com... > Ooooooooh, Mary...

Help with text function
I need a function to help return the first name of a text sting that contains last name,first name, midlle initial. For instance for "Walker,Catrina L" I need to return "Catrina" Terrence Are you absolutely, positively certain that EVERY text string contains the sequence LastName, FirstName MiddleInitial? Cher, for example, ... .... or Jean Claude van Damm .... or Billy Bob Thorton If you can, without question, state that every text string has a single comma in it, placed between the LastName and FirstName (hmmm, what about John Doe, Jr. ... ...

Exporting to a text file
How to export an Access query to a text file without the column heading? The query consists of single column and is used to import to an accounting system. Thanks. Cannot be done with the built-in TransferText action / method. You'd need to open a text file via VBA code and write the query's records (one at a time) into that file. If interested, post back and I'll provide some sample code. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul" <paul_mak@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:O$MxJCPlHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How to export an Access quer...

Finding a Median
I'm trying to write a query that will return a median for various values taken from a previous query. I've seen some suggestions in my searching, but I haven't been able to get them working. They are also all from before 2003 and refer to Access 97 and 2000. Has any functionality been added to 2003 for this? Or is there a non- code-based way to do it? I've seen it suggested to write a code to open the query, sort it, find the total number of records, divide it in half, then seek out the middle record using that value. I'm still very green when it comes to code, though...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs
I have a row of values that shows the total cumulative number of sales of items by month. Occasionally, there may be no sales in a month for an item so the cumulative value would stay the same for more than one month. I want to select a number in the row the first time it occurs and not select it if it repeats. What are you wanting to do with the info? To return position (column number) of number 1234 within row 2: =MATCH(1234,2:2,0) A formula that signals it's the first occurence: =COUNTIF($A2:A2,A2)=1 This could be used in a helper row, or as a conditional format f...

How did you add text into publisher, without using boxes?
how do you add text to publisher without using text boxes I suppose you could create your text as an image and insert the image into your publisher file. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Calvin Scott" <Calvin Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64D23D52-138D-47B4-B265-4A41BF14BF55@microsoft.com... > how do you add text to publisher without using text boxes Calvin Scott <Calvin Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > how do you add text to publisher without using text boxes You don't. Text in Publisher has to e...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0
I'm using Windows ME and I've switched from RichEdit 1.0 to 2.0 for my CRichEditDoc/View application so that I can use the ITextDocument interface and can do things such as suspend/resume the Redo buffer. Problem is, now the Find/Replace dialogs don't seem to do anything. If I revert back to RichEdit 1.0 they do! What's going on? BUMP! adriangibbons@yahoo.co.uk (Adrian Gibbons) wrote in message news:<34a2acd5.0404130713.123dbaab@posting.google.com>... > I'm using Windows ME and I've switched from RichEdit 1.0 to 2.0 for my > CRichEditDoc/View application...

Node.text
Hi Making the switch to .net from VB6, and I noticed that the XMLNode object does not expose a text property. How do I write the text value of an element(vb6 - nod.Text = ....)? BTW I have googled may different combinations, and finding an answer to this is harder than it looks. I promise I am not being lazy Thanks Have you tried the InnerText property? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Newbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EA21AC9-EE85-4C45-9D3F-C1BD4975D36D@microsoft.com... > Hi, &g...

Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup 2
There were two big threads on the original 6/1/10 post in the General Questions and New User sections. The gist of the original post was: Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for when poor-listener Microsoft drops it. Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully replace this one? If interested, please respond to this with your recommendation. Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with your email address at North9000 at gmail dot com and I'll try to collect / send out...

Find (but not find)
My program takes a name from sheet3 goes to sheet1 to Find the name. If it cannot find name, how do you do an If/End to Exit Do while or find out if name has been founf? I have "On Error Resume Next" in program. Thanks again for all your help Gordon As ALWAYS, post your code for comments & suggestions. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Gordon" <gwelch1938@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1184612089.486737.144020@n60g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > My program takes a name from sheet3 goes to sheet1 to Find the na...

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

message with RTF in outbox disables rich text control?
i develop a VAR application that sends emails on behalf of the user (using outlook automation usually via outlook redemption). An increasing number of customers are coming up with an error (0x8000405 unspecified error) when same program tries to instantiate a richtext object while emails are still in the outbox (or in drafts folder). Or at least that is my initial diagnosis. The richtext component seems fine. It was used to create the message body of the original email and that email is sent ok. Subsequent attempts to use the richtext control will work once the outbox is ...

Finding an event
Hello, I am developing an app that uses a single worksheet to enter data. When user double clicks a button, a new window (in same workbook) opens with a new sheet. My problem is that excel does not seem to have any events for close of window if there are multiple windows in a workbook. Can someone help Peter Peter, That triggers the Workbook_WindowActivate event, you can use that. HTH Bob "Peter Ostermann" wrote in message news:i9m5v8$7bv$02$1@news.t-online.com... Hello, I am developing an app that uses a single worksheet to enter data. When user double clicks a button...

Find value in a column and insert rows above
The set up looks like this: ColU ColV ColW ColX Y N N N Y N N N N Y N N N N Y N N N Y N N N Y N N N Y N N N Y Y Columns will always be U through X and will always be sorted in this order. I need to find the first Y in each column and insert 2 rows above that row. On the blank row above the first Y, I need to highlight in yellow and put title in the first cell, such as New, Old, Existing, Deleted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, Dee If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this ...

cannot find database
I have an excel spreadsheet that is supposed to update a access db. Whenever I try to save the .xls I get an error stating cannot find db. Even when I open the db with access, I get the error and the db opens anyway?????? This only happens on 2 out of 20 pc's and I cannot figure out why???????? Thanks ...

How do I print 4 different postcards on one sheet in Publisher
Our company sends postcards to customers everytime their properties are advertised in the newspaper. There is usually 8 different properties advertised a day. The templet is the same everytime as far as the design of the card. What is different is the description on each and the picture. Currently we are having to print 4 of each card, each day. This works fine as long as there is not a change in the wording of the ad the next time it is ran or a price change. This is getting to be confusing, wasteful and causing mistakes. I have tried to read about mail merge but this doesn't...

Sum if Condition is Equal in Range Date and find column
I want to make a sum if Range is a week number and if style is Equal to CONC-92 or CONC-45 Week# 49 Week# 50 CONC-92= 27 CONC-92= 30 CONC-45= 27 CONC-45= 30 Datas are in a pivot table and... Pivot table looks like this: Date CONC-92 CONC-45 CONC-92 CONC-45 12/7 5 5 10 10 12/8 2 2 10 10 12/9 5 5 10 10 12/10 5 5 10 10 please help -- Lorenzo Díaz Cad Technician ...

WinFax replacement
I wrote an Access app years ago for a client and it uses WinFax pro to send out invoices. They need to upgrade but WinFax is gone thanks to the wisdom (LOL) of Symantec. Does anyone know of a good replacement that can be referenced from vba and will allow us to send out Access reports? Thanks, Keith I'm moving this to the microsoft.public.access newsgroup. There's not enough activity here for this to get any attention. If you see this here and have an answer, please answer it there. Thanks. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in messag...

Can I place visible text in cell that won't print
Is it possible for me to place text in some cells where I can see the text but that will not print when my sheet is printed. I am aware of the comment feature that becomes visible when the mouse hovers over the small red symbol. I would like to be able to see what is in the cell without having to hover the mouse over each cell to see a comment. Is this possible? Thank you for any direction here. Jerry There are a few possible solutions. One is to use the comment as you noted, but you can have them always display even without the mouse hovering over it by using Tools/Options/View and se...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find
I use the code below to store a row number to a variable after a find. I would like to trap a NO FIND if the find is unsuccessfull Any ideas. FSt1 provided the code below Sub macfindrow() dim rn as string dim rng as range dim therow as long rn = inputbox("enter something to find") if rn <> "" then Set rng = nothing Set rng = range("A1:IV65536").Find(what:=rn, _ After:=Range("A1"), _ Lookin:=xlformulas, _ Lookat:=xlpart, _ ...

Excel 2007: Formula bar text flicker, can't access other open workbooks or close Excel.
I am working on a fairly large application that refers to code in several addins. Userforms are used, but there are no shapes, charts, etc. on any worksheet. My problem is that 'randomly', but usually some time after using the main form (that can interact with cells on a worksheet) the test in the formula bar textbox starts flickering like some code is caught in an endless loop. I can interact with Excel at this point, but can't naviagate to other workbooks or even close Excel without ending it's process via TaskManager. The only way to get the flickering to stop is ...

Referring to text control in a form
Access 2007 I have a series of unbound combo list boxes on a data input form: Material01 Material02 Material03 etc - up to 10 One of the items listed is "Other" When the operator selects "Other" I would like them to enter a description in an existing unbound text box alongside the Combo list. These text boxes are named MaterialDesc01, 02, 03 etc to 10 I have created a small pop-up form for the user to enter that description so I can apply rules to the input, which is stored as a variable for inserting into the appropriate text field. Rather that writing a pro...