Find Missing Number?

Ok probably a easy answer here, but I'm a excel Novice.

what I have is a series of numbers and what I want to find is what
Number are missing in between all the different numbers to complete a
whole set of number.

Example

I have:  1 2 6 7 9 13

How could I find whats missing as to make it straight count up from 1 to 13

And return from this example 3 4 5 8 10 11 12

Thanks for any help
0
dkohn (3)
4/17/2006 7:29:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi there,

one possibility is
in an additional column or sheet, i would create the whole series (type A1:
1, A2: = A1+1, then copy downwards until you have the required series)
then, next to this, so column B, IN b2:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2;THEOTHERSHEET_RANGE;1;0));"MISSING";"OK")

where: THEOTHERSHEET_RANGE is a range's 1st column is the original (and
gapped) series of numbers N.B. absolute cell reference with $-s, copy to
downwards with autofill and then you can see, which numbers are IN ("OK") and
which are missing /won't find out :-) / the "MISSING". then you can use the
DATA/ Autofilter/Set Autofilter and filter to MISSING

is this, what you are after?

Best regards,
ANdras
(Hungary)

"Djanvk" wrote:

> Ok probably a easy answer here, but I'm a excel Novice.
>
> what I have is a series of numbers and what I want to find is what
> Number are missing in between all the different numbers to complete a
> whole set of number.
>
> Example
>
> I have:  1 2 6 7 9 13
>
> How could I find whats missing as to make it straight count up from 1 to 13
>
> And return from this example 3 4 5 8 10 11 12
>
> Thanks for any help

0
ANdras (21)
4/17/2006 9:11:02 PM
Try something like this:

With your list of values in Cells A1:A10 (eg 1,2,6,7,9,13)

This ARRAY FORMULA lists the items in ascending order.
B1:
=INDEX(ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A))),SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)),ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)))+MIN(A:A)-1)=0,ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)))+MIN(A:A)-1),ROWS($1:1))-MIN(A:A))+MIN(A:A)

Note: To commit array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
[Enter].

Copy B1 and paste it into B2 and down as far as you need

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Djanvk" wrote:

> Ok probably a easy answer here, but I'm a excel Novice.
>
> what I have is a series of numbers and what I want to find is what
> Number are missing in between all the different numbers to complete a
> whole set of number.
>
> Example
>
> I have:  1 2 6 7 9 13
>
> How could I find whats missing as to make it straight count up from 1 to 13
>
> And return from this example 3 4 5 8 10 11 12
>
> Thanks for any help

Hey this worked good...

thanks, still going to try the other forumlas also

thanks

Ron Coderre wrote:
> Try something like this:
>
> With your list of values in Cells A1:A10 (eg 1,2,6,7,9,13)
>
> This ARRAY FORMULA lists the items in ascending order.
> B1:
> =INDEX(ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A))),SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)),ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)))+MIN(A:A)-1)=0,ROW($A$1:INDEX(A:A,MAX(A:A)))+MIN(A:A)-1),ROWS($1:1))-MIN(A:A))+MIN(A:A)
>
> Note: To commit array formulas, hold down [Ctrl] and [Shift] when you press
> [Enter].
>
> Copy B1 and paste it into B2 and down as far as you need
>

> Does that help?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>
> XL2002, WinXP-Pro
>

> "Djanvk" wrote:
>
>> Ok probably a easy answer here, but I'm a excel Novice.
>>
>> what I have is a series of numbers and what I want to find is what
>> Number are missing in between all the different numbers to complete a
>> whole set of number.
>>
>> Example
>>
>> I have:  1 2 6 7 9 13
>>
>> How could I find whats missing as to make it straight count up from 1 to 13
>>
>> And return from this example 3 4 5 8 10 11 12
>>
>> Thanks for any help

0
dkohn1 (1)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Add space after each numbered or bulleted item
I need to make rather long lists of paragraphs that are several lines long. The numbered list feature forces a new number and a new line upon hitting enter. this is expected behavior. However, I need a space between the items to make each item stand out. In Word if I hit enter again, a new number is issued as expected. However if I arrow up to the first empty space and hit the backspace, the number will be removed, the following number will be changed to next sequential number and the empty line remain. Publisher, however insists on starting a new number sequence. Is there any way to c...

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

how do i get negative numbers in brackets in Excel
i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets but this is the accounting convention is it hidden in excel or do i need a plug in Hi Maverick, Enter numbers using the minus symbol, but format your cells: Format => Cells => Number [tab] and in the Type box, enter "#,##0.00_ ;[Red](#,##0.00) " (without the quotation marks). Ewan. "maverick accountant" wrote: > i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets > but this is the accounting convention > is it hidden in excel > or do i need a plug in ...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Message Tracking missing messages
Running Exchange 2003. An user had some messages bounced back. Just to see if I saw anything relevant, I went into Message Tracking and pulled up all the messages that day by leaving the various fields (except for date and server) blank. Not all the messages that the user had sent was showing up. Anyone have any ideas why Message Tracking wasn't tracking all the messages? Richard Rosenheim Perhaps the user sent via a different (non-Exchange) SMTP server? -GT "Richard L Rosenheim" <richard@rlr.com> wrote in message news:eVOqg4nFFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > ...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

cannot find database

Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers
With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14 characters. Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20 characters. After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect. The support team responded that this change was by design. They claimed that the change was made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters". This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect) is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons. 1) C...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Automatic numbering feature:
Is there a way to have a template (such as an expense report, policy order, etc.) in Excel automatically number the document by who pulls it up first off of the server? Thanks in advance. ~VR Automatically number by who pulls it up first? What does that mean? We can make a worksheet have an autonumber if John opens it, then increase by one if Joe opens it, etc... Coupl'a methods: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=351 http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=349 **************** Anne Troy www.piersontech.com www.mrexcel.com "VVV1299" <VVV1299@di...

OWA 2003 missing autentication?
Hi, We use OWA 2003 (Whole front end-back end system is updraged from 2000) and Active Directory 2003. When I logging on OWA (with username and password). If I open new or old messages or do anything else, system is usually asking username and password again. Exchange default domain (in IIS settings) is our domain. Any tips? Thanks, -Marko ...

Conditional Number Formatting & Selective Summing
Attached is the workbook I need help with. From what I have bee discovering from the Excel Macro-VBA Editor-Help screens, what I wan to do should require fairly simple VBA code. However, I have no VB coding experience or skills (the VBA code in Module 3 was gleaned fro the Excel Tips Forum. Thank you Harlan Grove) Sheets �Run� through �Run (30)� are identical, except that the cel formulas on sheets 2-30 are only active if the active sheet i �Enabled� by the user and will only populate with pulled data if al preceding sheets are �Enabled�. The nature of the workbook is such tha a user will alw...

VBA Multi Number-Letter Sort
I'm sorting a list of old in-stock items, example: GEARS / 1/8_spur 1/4_spur rack_1/4pitch. It was all put into a single column. Now I could count left/ middle etc and send it to a different sheet then sort the sheet etc etc etc etc. I would be very happy if I could find a link to a source of vba code I could change or use just to sort things like "3rd # 8 before 3rd # 4" or "W18x21 after W8x10" . Can I do this simply with vba, I keep looking but it does not look promising. just wandering thanks rentapen ...

use port number for the sql server? while installing CRM 3.0
when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, can we use port number for the sql server? Responded to on the CRM Deployment forum. -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "Amit - Techtrends" wrote: > when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, > can we use port number for the sql server? ...