Filter #2

Hi to all
Range B7:B800 has month names: Jan, Feb, .... until Dec.
I use filter to select certain months.
What formula do I need in cell L5 to show the month being filltered.
i.e. if I filltered for Mar then in cell L5,  I want to see the value of
"March 2008" (without the quotes.)

0
HANDALK (143)
6/20/2008 6:12:13 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Your right about the years. The cells in the range B7:B800 have the format
of: =TEXT(B7,"MMM") and they are dajcent cells. I should have mentioned that
all the dates are only for ONE year (2008).
To clarify:
When  I apply the filter for March, I will see only the line that has the
value March. I want to have that value also in cell L5.
In other Words: I want the filtered value to be in cell L5.
I hope that it is more clear.

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
> Khalil
> You question is not clear to me. If you only have month names in B7:b800,
> there is no way for Excel to know to which year they belong. If you do
> have date values, you can either enter a Custom format:
> [Format] [Cells] /Custom /Type: mmmm yyyy
>
> To do this in an adjacent cell use the Text function:
> =TEXT(B7,"mmmm yyyy")
>
> Note: This will result in a badly sorted filter list in this column.  An
> alternate method to overcome this is to format with the year first::
>
> =TEXT(B7,"yyyy mmmm")
>
> HTH
> --
> Steve
>
> "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message
>> Hi to all
>> Range B7:B800 has month names: Jan, Feb, .... until Dec.
>> I use filter to select certain months.
>> What formula do I need in cell L5 to show the month being filltered.
>> i.e. if I filltered for Mar then in cell L5,  I want to see the value of
>> "March 2008" (without the quotes.)

0
HANDALK (143)
6/21/2008 4:15:37 AM
There are a couple of sample files here that might help you:

Under filters, look for FL0020 - Fast Filter, by Roger Govier. With this
example, you could type your criteria in the row above the filtered range.

Also under Filters, look for FL0018 - Highlight Filtered Headings in
List. This shows the selected criteria in columns to the right of the
filtered range. You could modify that code to show only the month selected.

Khalil Handal wrote:
> Hi to all
> Range B7:B800 has month names: Jan, Feb, .... until Dec.
> I use filter to select certain months.
> What formula do I need in cell L5 to show the month being filltered.
> i.e. if I filltered for Mar then in cell L5,  I want to see the value of
> "March 2008" (without the quotes.)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
6/21/2008 11:35:29 PM
Khalil
You question is not clear to me. If you only have month names in B7:b800,
there is no way for Excel to know to which year they belong. If you do
have date values, you can either enter a Custom format:
[Format] [Cells] /Custom /Type: mmmm yyyy

To do this in an adjacent cell use the Text function:
=TEXT(B7,"mmmm yyyy")

Note: This will result in a badly sorted filter list in this column.  An
alternate method to overcome this is to format with the year first::

=TEXT(B7,"yyyy mmmm")

HTH
--
Steve

"Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message
> Hi to all
> Range B7:B800 has month names: Jan, Feb, .... until Dec.
> I use filter to select certain months.
> What formula do I need in cell L5 to show the month being filltered.
> i.e. if I filltered for Mar then in cell L5,  I want to see the value of
> "March 2008" (without the quotes.)

0
AltaEgo
6/22/2008 2:04:31 AM
Thanks to you and Debral. It made it mored understandable.

>I still don't clearly understand your needs.  It is not clear whether the
>values in B7:B800 are dates with the format change or contain a formula
>that changes the display of a value in another column.

> changes the way you see a result. The text function changes a value to
> text. If you used the Text() function, you can filter on the result. In
> fact, if you simply format you date column in the custom format below,
> Excel is smart enough to filter data that displays the same despite the
> underlying values not changing.
>
> Before you respond, you may find it easier to do some background reading
> on date/times in Excel. Chip Pearson covers it well:
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm
>
> Google found the following video that shows how to apply a custom format:
>
> http://mistupid.com/viewlets/excel/xldatecustom.htm
>
> Note: the video shows how to apply  'ddd' and 'dddd'. You can use mmm or
> mmmm for month and yyyy for year.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message
>> Your right about the years. The cells in the range B7:B800 have the
>> format of: =TEXT(B7,"MMM") and they are dajcent cells. I should have
>> mentioned that all the dates are only for ONE year (2008).
>> To clarify:
>> When  I apply the filter for March, I will see only the line that has the
>> value March. I want to have that value also in cell L5.
>> In other Words: I want the filtered value to be in cell L5.
>> I hope that it is more clear.
>>

>> "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
>>> Khalil
>>> You question is not clear to me. If you only have month names in
>>> B7:b800, there is no way for Excel to know to which year they belong. If
>>> you do
>>> have date values, you can either enter a Custom format:
>>> [Format] [Cells] /Custom /Type: mmmm yyyy
>>>
>>> To do this in an adjacent cell use the Text function:
>>> =TEXT(B7,"mmmm yyyy")
>>>
>>> Note: This will result in a badly sorted filter list in this column.  An
>>> alternate method to overcome this is to format with the year first::
>>>
>>> =TEXT(B7,"yyyy mmmm")
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> --
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message

0
HANDALK (143)
6/22/2008 3:40:45 AM
I still don't clearly understand your needs.  It is not clear whether the
values in B7:B800 are dates with the format change or contain a formula that
changes the display of a value in another column.

changes the way you see a result. The text function changes a value to text.
If you used the Text() function, you can filter on the result. In fact, if
you simply format you date column in the custom format below, Excel is smart
enough to filter data that displays the same despite the underlying values
not changing.

Before you respond, you may find it easier to do some background reading on
date/times in Excel. Chip Pearson covers it well:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

Google found the following video that shows how to apply a custom format:

http://mistupid.com/viewlets/excel/xldatecustom.htm

Note: the video shows how to apply  'ddd' and 'dddd'. You can use mmm or
mmmm for month and yyyy for year.

Good luck.

--
Steve

"Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message
> Your right about the years. The cells in the range B7:B800 have the format
> of: =TEXT(B7,"MMM") and they are dajcent cells. I should have mentioned
> that all the dates are only for ONE year (2008).
> To clarify:
> When  I apply the filter for March, I will see only the line that has the
> value March. I want to have that value also in cell L5.
> In other Words: I want the filtered value to be in cell L5.
> I hope that it is more clear.
>

> "AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
>> Khalil
>> You question is not clear to me. If you only have month names in B7:b800,
>> there is no way for Excel to know to which year they belong. If you do
>> have date values, you can either enter a Custom format:
>> [Format] [Cells] /Custom /Type: mmmm yyyy
>>
>> To do this in an adjacent cell use the Text function:
>> =TEXT(B7,"mmmm yyyy")
>>
>> Note: This will result in a badly sorted filter list in this column.  An
>> alternate method to overcome this is to format with the year first::
>>
>> =TEXT(B7,"yyyy mmmm")
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Steve
>>
>> "Khalil Handal" <handalk@stthom.edu> wrote in message
>>> Hi to all
>>> Range B7:B800 has month names: Jan, Feb, .... until Dec.
>>> I use filter to select certain months.
>>> What formula do I need in cell L5 to show the month being filltered.
>>> i.e. if I filltered for Mar then in cell L5,  I want to see the value of
>>> "March 2008" (without the quotes.)

0
AltaEgo

Printing Comments #2
Thank you soooooooooooooo much - you can't imagine how frustrating thi was. : -- choskin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- choskins's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1631 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27709 ...

Download Stock Quotes #2
I an running MSM03. My system use to be set up so that I could download stock quotes whenever I downloaded my online accounts. Now I have to go to customize accounts, restore defaults and then update. This is required each time. Is there a way that I can update the quotes online each time without having to default each time. Also, is it necessary to log in to passport.net each time I start up up MSM03 Thanks MLWEST 1) which version of Money 03 are you running. 2) I never used a password with my MSM03 file. mlw734 wrote: > I an running MSM03. My system use to be set up so that I c...

Duplicate pages #2
Bs'd Hi Every body! I'm trying to make a web site... where I want the same body design in all of them, but when I'm tryin to modify the other duplicated pages, instead of changing just one page, it changes all the rest. How do I make possible to modify the rest of the duplicated pages, without modifying all of them!? I'd really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance! Sheila ...

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Employee Filters

phatom message in Outlook 2003 #2
for some reason outlook 2003 keeps showing 1 message inbox in the all mail folders section when there isn't one. can I clear this --- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 080203-0, 02/03/2008 Tested on: 2/5/2008 10:18:58 AM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com ...

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing c #2
Print Customer Statement (or similar report) w/o closing billing cycle Is there a way to print a customer statement or similar report before closing billing cycle? None of the reports available would show/print a statement. Anyideas or suggestions? Thanks In Manager go to journal menu and choose Close Billing cycle. On the screen that pops up select Reprint Customer Statement in the Option box at the top. This will allow you to print a statement by date range without closing the cycle. It will warn you that you are closing the cycle but it really isn't when you just reprint so you c...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Performance of savings accounts #2
One problem that I keep running into with Money is that it has a very clear distinction between investment accounts and checking/savings accounts. So far, I have not been able to find a way to get money to give me a performance report on a savings account or to consider the savings account to be part of my portfolio. When I want to check how well my investments did over a year, I cannot get data about my savings accounts and so the data that is given on my investment accounts does not account for my savings... ...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

MS Office #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have Student Teacher version 2008. I have MS Office installed on three different MAC's with three individual codes (Allows for three installs). When MS Office is running on my wife's MAC Book, and I run it my iMAC, I get an error message that I'm exceeding the licenses. I'm not. How do I get this to stop?? ...

Xpath problems #2
Hi, I'm trying to display the data from my typed dataset on a page using the Xml web control. I have the following code: Xm1.Document = new XmlDataDocument(ds); Using the debugger, I found that the xml representation of my dataset looks like the following: [code:1:877c35039f] <dsData> <Entry> <Title>Test</Title> <Description>This is a test</Description> </Entry> </dsData> [/code:1:877c35039f] My xsl file looks like this [code:1:877c35039f] <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <xsl:stylesheet...

Two CRM Servers (1.2 and 3.0) in the same domain?
Is it possible to install a CRM 3.0 in a domain that it's already been used for CRM 1.2? I want to install in a different server, but using the same domain for authentication. We use the 1.2 for sales and the 3.0 we want to use for development. -- Microsoft Business Solutions Certified Professional–Microsoft CRM Applications Professional Microsoft Business Solutions Certified Professional–Microsoft CRM Customization Yes you should be able to. Just create a new OU in Active Directory to install CRM 3.0 in. It's also in 3.0 it's not tied to any Organization name, so you ca...

Problem with links #2
I upgraded to service pack 2 last week. I use Outlook for mail and since the SP2 install, every time I click on a link to a web page in an email it takes me to a folder named "nt". What is happening? And what do I need to do. Thanks. ...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Formatting Subtotals #2
When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, how do I set the format so that all subtotal lines are bolded and are followed by a specified number of blank rows? One option - Collapse the sheet to show only the subtotals, then select visible cells only (F5>Special>Visible Cells only) Then Bold those cells and, instead of adding empty rows, make the subtotal rows taller and format them with the vertical alignment at the top "slh" wrote: > When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, > how do I set the f...

look up #2
I will have column B which I needs to be either a "Yes" or "No" depending of what is entered in column C. There are 36 possibilities for column C. Can someone tell me the easiest way to auto fill "Yes" or "No" in column B? thank you "frank" <mrfrank73@aol.com> wrote in message news:098901c3c96d$14303df0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I will have column B which I needs to be either a "Yes" > or "No" depending of what is entered in column C. There > are 36 possibilities for column C. Can someone tell me > t...

Outlook 2003 Signature #2
I have setup multiple email accounts in Outlook. I have also assigned a signature to a non-default email account. If I set it for reply it works fine. However, I cannot get the signature to add to a new email message. It works for the default account, but not when I change the account to something other than the default. I think this used to work, but not now. Anyone with any ideas please reply by email. Thanks YOu need to turn on WordMail as your email editor. Tools | Options | Mail Format -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for...

Application does not launch in IE ? #2
Hello people, I have a user that launches IE and goes to the correct URL to sign in into CRM 4.0, just like all my other users do. He uses his correct credentials, tries to logon and then nothing happens. That is, he gets the request to log in again. No error message, nothing. Just the screen to sign in again like he just started. This is not a problem with the user itself, but rather with the PC - other users have the same problem on that PC and the application runs fine on other PC's. I know there is something that *does* work, since when I use the wrong credentials, I get an er...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Business Portal 2.5 Installation Error #3
I'm trying to install BP2.5 and keep getting this error (below). I'm not sure what to do at this point. I've tried cleaning up any extra files laying around that could be causing this error to no availe. I'm really stumped here. 'mbfpackager data importation process has failed. Please see mbfpackager.import.nomerge.common.xml file for more information'. inside this file I found Event_Information>System.BadImageFormatException: The format of the file 'GPReg.dll' is invalid. File name: "GPReg.dll" at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName ...