Fill Color a Range

I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I would
need a transparent color or something like that.

How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to
show through?

Thank you.

0
XXXXXXXX (110)
3/2/2005 12:51:46 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The only way is to give the gridlines an alternative colour of their own.

--

HTH

RP

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
> know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I would
> need a transparent color or something like that.
>
> How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to
> show through?
>
> Thank you.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
3/2/2005 1:06:37 PM
When applying the fill color to the selection, also choose the Border tab.
Select Inside and Outline and choose a solid line type.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
>know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I would
>need a transparent color or something like that.
>
> How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to show
> through?
>
> Thank you.

0
nicolaus (2022)
3/2/2005 1:10:37 PM
Jack,

Color Fills paint right over the grid lines, even if you've used white.  You
can use borders (Format - Cells - Border) to simulate the grid lines.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
>know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I would
>need a transparent color or something like that.
>
> How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to show
> through?
>
> Thank you.

0
nothanks4548 (968)
3/2/2005 1:15:33 PM
Thanks to all who replied.  I get the picture now.

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
>know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I
>would need a transparent color or something like that.
>
> How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to
> show through?
>
> Thank you.

0
XXXXXXXX (110)
3/2/2005 3:56:10 PM
Thanks to all who replied.  I get the picture now.
"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>I want to fill a range with a color.  I know how to do that but I don't
>know how to keep the grid lines visible in that range.  It seems I
>would need a transparent color or something like that.
>
> How can I fill a range with a color that will allow the grid lines to
> show through?
>
> Thank you.

0
XXXXXXXX (110)

Formula Changes when data entered in referenced range
I have 5 formulas in a worksheet that refer to a range. When data is entered in the range, the formulas adjust to exclude the cells with data. Range B5:B211 When data is entered in B5, range in the formulas becomes B6:B212. The workbook has nearly 200 worksheets with the same formulas. I'm working in Excel 2003. Does anybody have any idea what's going on????? Might help if you include the formulae that you are using. Regards Trevor "mac849" <mac849@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33BDD2CD-C071-4DAE-A821-4967E94C16A3@microsoft.com... >...

Filling cells in between pairs of numbers
Hello all, I am trying to find an easy way to fill in cells in between pairs of numbers each of which is exactly the average of the pair's difference averaged by the number of these cells greater than the previous. So I have 1 1 2 3 4 8 5 6 7 8 20 9 10 12 13 14 15 45 I want: 1 1 2 3.333333333 3 5.666666667 4 8 5 11 6 14 7 17 8 20 9 23.57142857 10 27.14285714 11 30.71428571 12 34.28571429 13 37.85714286 14 41.42857143 15 45 I know I can do a Fill, Series, but then even with a macro that does a "control shift up fill series enter",...

IF number is grather than 100 color the cell red
I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 , I want the sell to have the color red. Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? THanks Take a look at format|conditional formatting. Ron Boetger wrote: > > I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a > column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 > , I want the sell to have the color red. > > Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? > > THanks -- Dave Peterson ...

Automaticaly select range
Dear All, I have the following macro attached to a button. With regard to the select aspect, the range will change from time to time. So I either need to put the range ie A1:R54, in a predetermined cell, say A1 all the time. Otherwise I need some code as part of the macro, that will give me a box to enter the range, once the button is pressed. Range("B594:K601").Select Selection.Copy Workbooks.Add Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=False Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.AutoFit Columns(&q...

Case filled out from SharePoint
I need to have a simple form my users fill out to submit a case. This would include the Business Required fields on the CRM Case form. Is there an easy way to do this using SharePoint? In other words, the user would go to the SharePoint site, click a link to "Submit a Support Request". This would open a form (Infopath perhaps?) where they fill in a few simple items, click submit, and a new CRM Case is created. This then would fire any pertinent workflows as if the case had been created from within CRM itself. I'm aware there are 3rd party solutions out there but would...

Matching cells by content then cell fill with color
Thanks to JEM, I am using this routine to color three consecutive cell a specific color, in this case red: Public Sub ThreeCellsRed() ActiveCell.Resize(1,3).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 End Sub What I need now is a way for the routine to continue to find all th similar cells, let's say for sake of disc they are people's names, s when I execute the above on my name, mrh, I want it to continue in th worksheet and find all exact matches and color those same cells red. Another thought, say my name (MRH) is in "A1" and it is also in "D1". But in "D1" I use "...

Combine multiple tables with different date ranges
Hi everyone, I really need help please. I apologise in advance if my description is difficult to follow. I am very new to Access and have the following problem: Table 1 consists of: Machine ID (from another table) Downtime (calculated in queries from DateDiff expression based on Start Date & Time and End Date & Time) this table also has a few other fields - descriptive mainly This table is designed to track the amount of downtime for each machine and does so quite well, and even when there are multiple incidences of downtime in a day. It is for Daily entries as requ...

From field filled in
Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am using Office 2003 with Exchange 2003. I have a second mailbox setup in my profile. When I reply to an e-mail sent to the other inbox, the From field is automatically filled in with that name. So for example, if the other inbox is "HelpDesk" and I reply to an e-mail in that inbox, the from field is automatically filled in as "HelpDesk". Hope that makes sense. Thanks!! <twytch111@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1175611189.053649.28340@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > Hi and thanks in advance for this help. I am...

Operating fill handle and moving entire cells with keyboard
Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rather than using the mouse (drag and drop). Thanks, Tom. Tom Copy or Cut Select range Select top left corner of range. Hold Shift & press End, Arrow down or right. Copy:= Ctrl + C Cut:= Ctl + X Paste Ctl + V To Fill Down or Right Ctrl + D or ctrl + r Use Excel Help and search for keyboard shortcuts for a complete List. Regards Peter >-----Original Message----- >Is there any way of operating the fill handle or moving >entire cells/range of cells with the keyboard rathe...

Change Color of Worksheet Tabs?
Excel 2003. Can I change the colors of the tabs along the bottom with worksheets names on them so they will stand out from one another? Thanks in advance... Bob Yes- Right click on the tab and select tab color. "Bob Newman" wrote: > Excel 2003. Can I change the colors of the tabs along the bottom with > worksheets names on them so they will stand out from one another? > > Thanks in advance... Bob > > > Had a play around found it must have something to do with the " N" (th leading space) If I take out the space it works, has VB not got a $ ...

How to Paste Link a cell with color
I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but the original cell has a color background and when it is paste linked, the color is lost. Can anyone help with why this happens? dah That is the way it works, a link never contains the format, the user needs to do it twice, first paste the link and then paste the format -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Paste Link" <PasteLink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767FEDEC-E3B0-45DD-A6D0-2BB75FC742F0@microsoft.com... > I have a user who is pasting a cell from one spreadsheet to another but th...

Have one fill to auto fill aother
My question is simple. I would like to have field 27 = field 25. So when someone enters the data for field 25, the same data auto populated in field 27. Any help is appreciated! Kaylen, In the CotrolSource for Field 27 type... =[field 25] ....assuming of that you are talking about a form in Microsoft Access or did you mean to post this question in the Excel newsgroup? -- Gina Whipp "I feel I have been denied critical, need to know, information!" - Tremors II http://www.regina-whipp.com/index_files/TipList.htm "Kaylen" <Kaylen@discussions....

Colours changing in the fill palette and the spreadsheet?
Hi I have a user with Office 2003, and her pc and build is standard as with her colleagues. In Excel the colours would change (cells filled) also if the user goes to her pallette the colours have also changed. Desktop and all other applications colour are fine. The following resolutions have been tried - office detect and repair, updates, asked the user to got to the tools options and reset the pallette and this does not work. She has to log off and back in again in order to set it back to the proper colours. Again this is only affecting Excel? Any pointers? I wish to thank you in advanc...

Filling in blank PO
Hi everybody, I have some question to you, when you create blank PO, then go to content and click Add Item you can see tw boxes. In top one there are all items from your database and in bottom one there are Items you are adding. If you reach number of rows visible in bottom window there is scroll bar comming on right hand side, and as you add more items every new ona is going to the very bottm of the list which is in invisible area. To get there and type in Qty you have to scroll down whole list every time when you add next item. I'm using most recent updates for RMS and I checked i...

range.insert problems
Any help would be appreciated... this is using Excel 2003 SP1 on WinXp SP2 The following statement works fine. It inserts a blank cell at F1 and shifts the column down. Range("F1").Insert xlShiftDown The following statement returns an error: "Insert Method class failed" Range("F1").Insert xlShiftDown, Range("B1") I've tried adding ".value" to the CopyOrigin (the second argument). , declaring a variant as the CopyOrigin, I've tried parentheses... I can't get it to work. What I want is to insert B1 at location F1 shifting colum...

How do I auto fill long col. filling blanks with last filled cell
On a large worksheet, is there a way to fill the blanks in a column with the last filled cell without using the autofill handle? My worksheet is over 2000 rows and I am hoping to find some way to mass fill the blanks in Excel. Here is a small example of what I am talking about. Thanks for any tips. S1475 201686 506456 S1888 38254 15623 56731 S9564 46321 156323 M, This ought to work... http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip040.htm Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware "MBBeginner" <MBBeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

fill colors
I cannot view any fill color, no matter if it is in a text box or object. I can see the colors if I perform a print preview. If I email the same object the color does not show either. I have checked to see if the transparency is turned up and it is not. What is wrong? Thanks, Gary Can you send the email to me? Check your printer setup to be sure you have color selected. gsauer at columbus dot rr dot com -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "joy filters" <joy filters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Using Ranges
Hi, I did an insert --> name --> define: a range that would automatically update: RangeName = "Sheet2!$C$4:$Q$"&COUNT(Sheet2!$E$4000)+3 So I want to write a macro that uses the range. x = Range("RangeName").Value gives the following error: Method Range of Object Global Failed when i set a range in the worksheet using the upper left hand box the macro works. Do you know how to fix this problem. Thanks That won't work - it's just an invalid string value, not a range. You need to use a named range whose definition actually returns a range, alon...

If-formula in series-range of chart-datasource
Hello there, depending on the "True" or "False"-value of a checkbox in a worksheet, I need to show one or the other dataseries for the X-axis in an XL-chart. However, when I try to integrate an If-formula into the series-definition in the datasource-dialogbox, Excel doesn't accept that. Is there a way to make a dataseries shown dependent on a condition ? Thank you in advance, Kind regards, H.G. Lamy Hi look at the following examples http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_charts/index.html ...

Colors
When adding color to cells I only have 40 colors to choose from, basic colors but very little shades. I thought I could access the "color wheel" and get even more colors. Am I mistaken? Are the 40 colors (5 rows of 8 in the drop down menu) the only ones available in Excel? I rather doubt it. For example, in Word when I choose font color, I see the 40 colors I'm refering to, but I also have the option for more colors. Under Tools / Options / Colors, I see the Standard colors, but no option that I can see to increase the colors I have access to. If I choose modify, I ...

HELP:user-fill in form
I need a excel-file with 2 tabs. In the first tab It must be able to fill a week nr. And then som other values. Then that values must automattically filled in, in Tab2 in the righ column of that week. If you can help me, please reply !!! Thanks in advance, Stif -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You weren't very specific as to if this is from one cell on sheet1 or for all cells in a column. In any event, you can use a worksheet_change event on a worksheet module to this sort of thing. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stift >" <<S...

Stop named ranges being copied
I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. But I do not want to copy the named ranges associated with the first workbook to the second. How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. >>How do I prevent named ranges being copied when I move sheets. You can't. A named range is just as much a part of a sheet as anything else. Delete the name(s) after you copy a sheet. -- Jim <bmatheson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1183722346.818571.213860@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >I want to copy a worksheet from one workbook to another. > >...

Picture Fill
Ok, here's the deal. I am making a pennant and need to fill it with a logo. However, I can fill the pennant shape, but I want the logo in it to start big and get smaller with the pennant. Any suggestions. If you know how to just make a picture go from bigger to smaller, that would work as well. Thanks! -- Cgrant What format is the logo? If it is a bitmap... Select the logo, click the dog icon, click Edit wrap points, move the edit points in to pennant shape, pull out just the pointy end. I know how to do this, explaining it is tough. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.micro...

Free/Busy Background Color within Calendar
Is there any way to change the background color that shows on your calendar based on the your free/busy settings. For example, if I have any all day appointment and I am out of the office it tints the entire day purple on the calendar. I understand it reflects the color coding for the Free/Tentative/Busy/Out of Office but I don't want this color coding on my calendar I prefer to use the categorize colors -Hildegard EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice In-Memory Data Compression in .NET Part III http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/628a0153-0427-444b-9a5b-710b...

Color Palette
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange When I create a new category, and the program defaults to a color, all the selections are light, pastels. I have to go to &quot;other&quot; and darken the color. Is there a way to set the default to darker colors when I assign a category so I do not have to set it myself. On 3/29/10 6:39 PM, JKevinMcHugh@officeformac.com wrote: > When I create a new category, and the program defaults to a color, all > the selections are light, pastels. I have to go to "other" and da...