Filename in formula bar

How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar?
Example:

='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1

A    |     B
1         |
2         |  filename1
3         |
4         |

="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1
will not work

--
yee ve
yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi
see:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14791
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)

Formulas to find a sum of numbers
Don’t know if it is possible to do this or not. I am trying to find out if there is a way to use a formula to locate a sum of numbers. For instance, you have a column with dollar figures in it and you want to find a group of those values that total a certain amount. Is this doable? Hi depends on the number of values and if they also contain negative numbers. For lets say >40 numbers (including negative ones) not possible as you have to calculate too many combinations if you want ALL possible matches -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ramblreb wrote: > Don’t know if it is p...

two condition formula
I am trying to count column "a" when a condition is true and then count column "j" when the number is a negative. I have tried =COUNTIF(B9:B23,"=COMP")+COUNTIF(J7:J22,""<0) but I do not get the answer it should be. Column "b is words and column "J is number that are negative so that why I choose <0. Column B will have multiple names and column J is the difference in late days. Hi Linda Try the below =SUMPRODUCT((B9:B23="COMP")*(J9:J23<0)) If you are using XL2007 try help on COUNTIFS() -- Jaco...

OR formula, ?????
I have Worksheet A containing a list of data: Red, Yellow, Orange, Purple which is defined in NAME MANAGER as COLOR Worksheet B on CELL A1, is user input data A2 has the following formula =OR(A1=COLOR) User input : Red = FALSE Yellow = FALSE Orange = True Purple = FALSE The OR formula should produce TRUE value on the cell for all input that is true. However, it is not the case. Where is the formula wrong? Try this instead: =3DISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,COLOR,0)) Hope this helps. Pete On Feb 24, 12:19=A0am, a...

dragging a filename from explorer
I have just begun working with OLE drag-and-drop in MFC. I have been able to select text in one application and then drag-and-drop it into my application. Now I would like to drag a list of filenames from windows explorer, drop the list into my application and display the the list of filenames in a CView window. I don't know how this is done. When I receive a pointer to IDataObject, what format do I specify in FORMATETC and STDMEDIUM in order to query and receive the list of filenames? Can anyone refer me to example source code that might illustrate how this is done. Thanks for an...

Help!!! Need formula for boss
I have a worksheet with a list of employees and each employee has a security profile allocated and each profile has a position number. Now an employee can hold multiple profiles and then of course, multiple position numbers. (see example below) A B C 1 Emp Profile Posn 2 Jones PROF1 ABC123 3 Jones PROF4 DEF345 4 Smith PROF1 GHI678 5 Fraser PROF2 JKL912 6 Smith PROF4 MNO345 7 Fraser PROF3 PQR678 Now in the same file I want to have a worksheet where the details will be shown as below: ...

array formulas #4
I'm crossposting this because there doesn't seem to be much activity in the .macintosh newsgroup (other than spam). I'm using the Office 2011 for Mac version of Excel on a MacBook, and I'm having trouble creating an array function for the MODE.MULT statistical function. The help files say to use the control+shift+return keys to create the function, but when I use those keys, nothing happens. I've tried following the instructions on the help page at <http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/excel/item/edc0671b-60d7- 4344-829b-36c2f7d215fa?category=b875ca71-...

Please help with a date formula.
Good morning all, I need some help with a formula related to date. In my Excel file, I have dates in Cells D1 to DL1, and each date in each cell represents Monday (e.g. 01/11/10) of the week. I also have dates in Cells A2 and B2. The dates in A2 and B2 can be any date, but the date in A2 (e.g. 01/11/10) is earlier than the date in B2 (e.g. 01/27/10). What I need help is a formula in Cells D2 to DL2. The formula in those cells will evaluate whether the date in adjacent cell (e.g. adjacent cell of D2 is D1) falls between the dates in Cells A2 and B2. If it is, the ...

Help with easy LOOKUP formula please
Could someone please tell me how to lookup a date in one row that matches a minimum number in another row? Specifically - Row 1 contains dates. Row 2 contains the DOW averages for those dates. At the end of Row 2 (say column Z) my formula finds the smallest (MIN) number in the row. In Row 1, Column Z, I would like to put the LOOKUP function that finds the corresponding date of the value found in Row 2, Column Z. In other words, I need to lookup the date in Row 1 that corresponds to the lowest DOW average found in Row 2. I'm sure this is a piece of cake for those in the know, but ...

Open Filename
Rather than type a path and filename in one of my text boxes, I'd like my users to be able to browse for the file. Does anyone know of some code out there I can use? Thanks. =?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?= <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:ABA28A27-6EAE-4FB2-9834-BDEA902626E4@microsoft.com: > Rather than type a path and filename in one of my text boxes, I'd > like my users to be able to browse for the file. Does anyone know > of some code out there I can use? Thanks. > http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm -- Bob Quintal PA is y I've altered my ema...

Inconsistance Formula?
I used this formula to calculate the number of items being serviced in any particular department from another worksheet. It counts most of my data but leave out some. Please help. Thanks. =SUMPRODUCT(('Q1 '!E13:E136="calibrated")*('Q1 '!G13:G136="70223")) =SUMPRODUCT(('Q1 '!E13:E136="calibrated")*('Q1 '!G13:G136="74532")) =SUMPRODUCT(('Q1 '!E13:E136="calibrated")*('Q1 '!G13:G136="74533")) Hi, formula look Ok, check if in the data is left out you don't have any spaces, t...

Excel formula flicker / erase formula / won't close
I'm having a really weird problem with Excel. I'm hoping someone has seen this before. Here are some of the problems. It appears like Excel is stuck in some loop. Maybe a bad system file? 1. Excel CPU usage is around 75% even when I'm not doing anything in Excel. 2. When I try to edit the formula on the formula bar, Excel just types garbage and erases the formula. 3. The formula flickers like it's being refreshed over and over. 4. When I drag and drop, the contents vanish. 5. Excel won't close even if there are no workbooks loaded. I've tried uninstalling...

Lotto Formula
My apologies. I posted this question yesterday and the response didn't work (or I don't have the knowledge to make it work). Regardless, I will post again and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am setting up a Lotto chart for work. The game we're playing is Keno and there's a daily draw. The initial investment is $250. Column A: Will have the daily investment. Column B: Will have the winnings. Column C: Will have the losses. Column D: Will have the actual amount that's left from the initial investment and it will take into consideration the win or loss f...

IF formulas #3
I have never created an If formula, but I assume that it is what I need. Here is what I am trying to do - I have a spread sheet with 4 worksheets The first page I have a column where I put the business managers initials and the following columns have info about production and sales The second worksheet I want it to pull all of RS's info and place it in summary for that particular person The third Worksheet is the same concept only with JB's info The last worksheet I am using as a "team summary" and I can do that one How do I get the 2nd & 3rd sheets to separate between ...

Lookup Formula #7
Hi, I want to use vlookup formula using two vlookup value. Excel workshee is attached. Help needed guys. New Excel Use +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: query.zip |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4166 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- abcdexce ----------------------------------------------------------------------- abcdexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3002 View this thread: http...

Word: The document 'Filename' caused a serious error the last time ...
Upon opening some previously created Word 2003 documents, users on our network are receiving the message: The document 'Filename' caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it? At which point the document can not be opened and the user is presented with the option to pull available unformatted text from the <ocument. ... or ... Word stops responding completely and you have to end-task on Word. Searching Microsoft will tell that you can remove the documents in question from the disabled list in Word. Indeed you can, but t...

Help with saving a filename in VBA
If i want to write a macro to save a file as filename x.csv where x is the value contained in cell b2, I tried ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _ "filename "& $b$2 &".csv", FileFormat:=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=False but I'm obviously messing up the syntax. Could anyone set me straight please? And is there a command to return me to filename.xls afterwards to continue working? Many thanks Adapted from the Recorder: Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 2/19/2008 by James Ravenswood ' v = Range("B2").Value ...

Formula Problem #7
Hi there, Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the following formula (it's doing my nut in!): IF([DAY]<>"Y",0,IF(OR((OR((AND((OR([START1]<=7,[START1]<8)),([END1]>7))), (AND((OR([START2]<=7,[START2]<8)),([END2]>7))))),(OR((AND((OR([START3]<=7,[START3]<8)),([END3]>7))), (AND((OR([START4]<=7,[START4]<8)),([END4]>7)))))),1,0) I've replace cell refs with [x..]'s. Many thanks - David It seems that there is a parenthesis missing at the end. Best, Guillermo "Daveo" <writetodaveo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1...

<filename>:1 and <filename>:2
Hello, I have a user that created a simple spread sheet, just 15 or 20 cells with data and two or three formulas. Now when he opens it he gets two spreadsheets open: <filename>:1 and <filename>:2. Both have identical entries. this causes quite a bit of concern. Is this some kind of alternate data stream? -- -- Mark Warbeck mwarbeck@adelphia.net Hi Two windows of the same workbook have been open (Windows, New Window) Close one of the windows and save the workbook HTH Cordially Pascal "Mark Warbeck" <mwarbeck@vt.edu> a �crit dans le message de news:O9e70pfsEHA.3...

Deleting a Command Bar 14May
Hi All, When learning about menus and command bars from Walkenbach's book, I set up one called "rmws1". I can't find the code that did it, probably forgot to use Temporary. I have others that delete properly @ the beforeclose event. I use excel 2002. I don't want it, and it keeps 'popping' up @ workbook open, and I delete it with: Application.CommandBars("rmws1").Delete but it still flashes on the screen first. Tried opening Excel10.xlb in the Excel folder, but I guess it's behind the scenes. How do I permane...

problem with filename.msg
Hi, I have a file called passwords.msg. It contains all of my online passwords. It has always appeared as a note on my taskbar. Although it is still there, whenever I click to open it, I get the message that outlook has performed an illegal operation and will shut down. Any way to retrieve this file? Thanks, jo ...

Concatinate a filename
Hi All........ I am trying to concatenate two cells together to form a filename in a link............no joy, .......all I get is "That filename is not valid"........ =[clean(c6)&"_"&b6.xls]Sheet1!$A9 C6 is a name, as Jones, Fred B6 is a string as R1938 The filename I 'm looking for is Jones,Fred_R1938.xls and it does exist........and of course works if I hard code the filename into the formula........ =clean(c6)&"_"&b6 works fine in a test of that standalone part, but not in the link formula Any help would be appreciated........ Vaya co...

Which formula???
The outcome of column E is going to differentiate depending on if I use column C or D. How do I type this formula? Column C is going to add to whats in column E and column D will subtract from Column E. Hi If I understand your problem correctly, in cell F1 enter =E1+C1-D1 Copy down for as far as you wish. Regards Roger Govier jlizbeth via OfficeKB.com wrote: >The outcome of column E is going to differentiate depending on if I use >column C or D. How do I type this formula? Column C is going to add to whats >in column E and column D will subtract from Column E. > > ...

formula through inputbox
Instead of entering a formula like =IF(ISERROR(C1/D1),"",C1/D1), I would like the user the enter the formula like c1/d1 through an inputbox. The code below tries to do this but is not working - the results looks like =IF(ISERROR(y),"",y) Sub Macro1() y = InputBox("enter formula") ActiveCell.Formula = "=IF(ISERROR(y),"""",y)" End Sub Two ways, uncomment the second commented line to try the second way Sub test() Dim sFmla As String Dim y As Variant y = InputBox("enter formula") If Var...

Formula showing in cell as text
This is a new one on me. After entering a formula, instead of seeing blank cell or the result of the formula in the cell, I'm seeing th text of the formula as I normally would see it displayed in the formul bar. I can't seem to get it to calculate or stop showing the formula a text in the cell. One additional odd thing, going to TOOLS>FORMULA AUDITING>EVALUAT FORMULA, everything looks normal, with two exceptions; one a statemen "The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant", is displaye in the dialog box and all but the CLOSE button are grayed out. What I ha...

Filename
Hello, Here is a weird one. For some reason, the first letter for any Money = filename I open keeps getting changed to lower case every time I shut = down Money, even if I change it back to upper case before I open Money. = Can anyone tell me how to prevent this? Merry Christmas, Bob Brannon In microsoft.public.money, BBran wrote: > >Here is a weird one. For some reason, the first letter for any Money filename I open keeps getting changed to lower case every time I shut down Money, even if I change it back to upper case before I open Money. Can anyone tell me how to prevent thi...