File Locked for Editting.

We have a network running on server 2003, client machines
are all Windows XP SP1.  I have a user that consistently
when opening .xls files that are stored on the server,
gets the popup message, <filename> is locked for editting
by 'user'.

The odd thing is, the 'user' is the user that is opening
that file.. and she does not have it open allready.

Also, the open and close time of her files are a lot
slower than they should be.

Any ideas?

0
jwelsh (2)
6/21/2004 7:55:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Justin

One possible cause.......

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file
that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when
you close out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel
thinks it is still open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a
re-boot, clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:55:01 -0400, "Justin" <jwelsh@edacsystems.com> wrote:

>We have a network running on server 2003, client machines
>are all Windows XP SP1.  I have a user that consistently
>when opening .xls files that are stored on the server,
>gets the popup message, <filename> is locked for editting
>by 'user'.
>
>The odd thing is, the 'user' is the user that is opening
>that file.. and she does not have it open allready.
>
>Also, the open and close time of her files are a lot
>slower than they should be.
>
>Any ideas?

0
Gord
6/21/2004 10:15:02 PM
maybe some suggestions from Debra Dalgleish's site:

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

When you open a file in excel, excel creates some files in your windows temp
folder.

If excel crashes, then these files don't get cleaned up.  You can clean them up
yourself.

Windows start button|run
%temp%

and clean up all you want.  (I delete everything--just don't be in the middle of
an install!)

And sometimes excel leaves a hidden instance running.  Some versions of Windows
(NT/2k) will allow you to kill those processes.

If excel looks like it's not running:

Alt-ctrl-delete
Task manager
Processes
look for excel.exe and kill it.
(serves the same purpose as rebooting and it's a lot quicker).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

link a popup form to edit selected record
Hello All, I am usiing Access 2007 and I have a form that contains three subforms that are used to review data. Specifically, the first subform (fsubData_List) is a list of all the records in the datasource. The second subform (fsubData_search) contains an edit button and is going to be used to search and filter from the entire dataset. The third subform (fsubData_detail) is used to list all of the detailed information for the record selected in the first subform. This is done via a hidden field call txtRelay which is used to store the unique ID for the selected record. This all ...

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

ASP.Net 2005 Editable Drop down server control
Could any one share me open source code to customize Asp.net 2005 drop down control as an editable drop down control. This is an urgent requirement. Thanks in advance Check out the code at this link: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/EditableDropdown.aspx - Dave "JPrasad." <JPrasad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50FF9826-BB9B-4E99-9D73-745274229164@microsoft.com... > Could any one share me open source code to customize Asp.net 2005 drop > down > control as an editable drop down control. This is an urgent requirement. > > Thanks in a...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

OUTLOOK locks up for second user
Vista Ultimate, OUTLOOK works fine for adm user. Other user cannot send, cannot close program. Explanation says a dialog box is open. Occurs with or without adm user signed in. Adm is using msn.com/other is using hotmail.com After a clean boot try with a new profile created via the Mil icon in Control Panel. "DANGR ACE" <DANGR ACE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7139D9DF-06F1-4F86-BCB6-5F5856B695C2@microsoft.com... > Vista Ultimate, OUTLOOK works fine for adm user. Other user cannot send, > cannot close program. Explanation says a dialog box is open...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

Keeping a constant cell reference through editing
I am sure the answer to this is simple, but I have searched trie Excel's Help, the NG's [via Google] and the Forums here excelforum.com and can't seem to find the right information. I am currently using Excel to produce sheets which accompany th documents our Auditors ship to storage, (we call these Transmittals). Basically, I want a formula in one cell, (part of a number of row repeated at the top of each page), to refer to a cell no matter what may do to the worksheet as each Auditor's list is taken from a Maste which I edit accordingly, (i.e. I delete any irrelevant rows...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel?
how can i restrict a user from opening a dbf file from excel? and how can i restrict him from saving an excel file as DBF? thanks ...