File in Use

I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2

When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
up:

File in Use
 money.xls is locked for editing

by Bill Chatfield

there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box

read only
notify
cancel

I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or
'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
reason I get the above message again.

The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is my
creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
in 'money' under tools/macros

Any suggestions appreciated - TIA

Bill Chatfield

0
Please3619 (23)
12/13/2003 8:11:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Bill

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:11:15 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:

>I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2
>
>When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
>up:
>
>File in Use
> money.xls is locked for editing
>
>by Bill Chatfield
>
>there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box
>
>read only
>notify
>cancel
>
>I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
>this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or
>'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
>reason I get the above message again.
>
>The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is my
>creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
>beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
>in 'money' under tools/macros
>
>Any suggestions appreciated - TIA
>
>Bill Chatfield

0
Gord
12/13/2003 9:43:41 PM
Gord,

I emptied the folder you suggested, as well as a few other TEMP folders -
all seems well now.
Thank you for your time.

Bill Chatfield

<Gord Dibben> wrote in message
Bill

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is
open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a
re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:11:15 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:

>I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2
>
>When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
>up:
>
>File in Use
> money.xls is locked for editing
>
>by Bill Chatfield
>
>there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box
>
>read only
>notify
>cancel
>
>I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
>this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only'
or
>'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
>reason I get the above message again.
>
>The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is
my
>creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
>beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
>in 'money' under tools/macros
>
>Any suggestions appreciated - TIA
>
>Bill Chatfield

0
Please3619 (23)
12/13/2003 10:08:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback Bill.

Always appreciated.

Gord

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:08:46 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>I emptied the folder you suggested, as well as a few other TEMP folders -
>all seems well now.
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Bill Chatfield
>

><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
>Bill
>
>Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is
>open.
>
>Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
>out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
>open and locked for editing.
>
>You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a
>re-boot,
>clear out your Windows\Temp folder.
>
>If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......
>
>Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp
>
>If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:11:15 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:
>
>>I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2
>>
>>When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
>>up:
>>
>>File in Use
>> money.xls is locked for editing
>>
>>by Bill Chatfield
>>
>>there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box
>>
>>read only
>>notify
>>cancel
>>
>>I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
>>this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only'
>or
>>'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
>>reason I get the above message again.
>>
>>The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is
>my
>>creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
>>beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
>>in 'money' under tools/macros
>>
>>Any suggestions appreciated - TIA
>>
>>Bill Chatfield

0
Gord
12/13/2003 10:24:31 PM
Gord,

Right after I posted 'all seems' well - it wasn't - the message box
re-appeared. I tried to re-boot and the machine would not do so - had a
'keyboard error' I believe. I had to turn it off and do a complete cold
boot - which went OK. I then opened Excel and the 'money' workbook at least
10 times and no message box. I closed 'money' by saving changes and not
saving changes to see if it made a difference - it didn't. The workbook now
seems to be OK - maybe the cold boot was needed rather than a simple
re-boot. I just don't know<G>

Computer are fun at times - and I am a big fan of Excel. One thing I have
learned over the years, 99.9% of the problems fall under the category "What
did I do now" <G>

Thanks for the feedback Bill.

Always appreciated.

Gord

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:08:46 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>I emptied the folder you suggested, as well as a few other TEMP folders -
>all seems well now.
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Bill Chatfield
>

><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
>Bill
>
>Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is
>open.
>
>Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you
close
>out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
>open and locked for editing.
>
>You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a
>re-boot,
>clear out your Windows\Temp folder.
>
>If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......
>
>Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp
>
>If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:11:15 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com>
wrote:

>>I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2
>>
>>When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
>>up:
>>
>>File in Use
>> money.xls is locked for editing
>>
>>by Bill Chatfield
>>
>>there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box
>>
>>read only
>>notify
>>cancel
>>
>>I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
>>this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only'
>or
>>'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
>>reason I get the above message again.
>>
>>The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is
>my
>>creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
>>beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
>>in 'money' under tools/macros
>>
>>Any suggestions appreciated - TIA
>>
>>Bill Chatfield

0
Please3619 (23)
12/13/2003 10:45:55 PM
Gord,

The saga continues - after posting the 2nd 'all seems' well message I had
problems again. I ran a script I have stored in workbook 'races' and somehow
that affected workbook 'money' I have no idea how, why, or anything
These are the 3 macros I created that SEEM to have started the problem:

Sub NumberSrt()
'
' NumberSrt Macro
' Macro recorded 12/10/2003 by Bill Chatfield
'
    If Not ThisWorkbook Is ActiveWorkbook Then Exit Sub
'
    Range("C5:F59").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("C5"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
        DataOption1:=xlSortTextAsNumbers
    Range("C5").Select
End Sub
Sub StartSrt()
'
' StartSrt Macro
' Macro recorded 12/10/2003 by Bill Chatfield
'
    If Not ThisWorkbook Is ActiveWorkbook Then Exit Sub
'
    Range("B5:F59").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("B5"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
        DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    Range("C5").Select
End Sub
Sub FinishSrt()
'
' FinishSrt Macro
' Macro recorded 12/10/2003 by Bill Chatfield
'
    If Not ThisWorkbook Is ActiveWorkbook Then Exit Sub
'
    Range("A5:F59").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A5"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
        DataOption1:=xlSortNormal
    Range("C5").Select
End Sub

I am going to play around and see what I can discover - any ideas on your
part would be most appreciated

Bill Chatfield

<Gord Dibben> wrote in message
Thanks for the feedback Bill.

Always appreciated.

Gord

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:08:46 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com> wrote:

>Gord,
>
>I emptied the folder you suggested, as well as a few other TEMP folders -
>all seems well now.
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Bill Chatfield
>

><Gord Dibben> wrote in message
>Bill
>
>Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is
>open.
>
>Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you
close
>out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
>open and locked for editing.
>
>You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.  If not, after a
>re-boot,
>clear out your Windows\Temp folder.
>
>If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......
>
>Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp
>
>If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.
>
>Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
>On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:11:15 GMT, "Bill Chatfield" <Please@smile.com>
wrote:

>>I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2
>>
>>When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop
>>up:
>>
>>File in Use
>> money.xls is locked for editing
>>
>>by Bill Chatfield
>>
>>there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box
>>
>>read only
>>notify
>>cancel
>>
>>I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using
>>this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only'
>or
>>'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent
>>reason I get the above message again.
>>
>>The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this occurrence is
>my
>>creating 3 macros in another workbook just prior to this situation
>>beginning. The macros are stored in the workbook 'races' and do not appear
>>in 'money' under tools/macros
>>
>>Any suggestions appreciated - TIA
>>
>>Bill Chatfield

0
Please3619 (23)
12/13/2003 11:01:49 PM
I have posted this suggestion many times:

I see this happen when there is a ghost process of Excel running;
while using files with or without macros.  Apparently, for some reason
Excel does not get completely shut down.  When you see this problem
again, close all Excel windows and check your task manager.
(Alt-Ctrl-Del) and look for excel or excel.exe.  End the process, and
try opening your 'money' file again.

Unfortunately, I have no solution to keep this from happening; I have
seen it in versions from Excel97 to Excel2003.  It happens on
win98,ME,2000, and XP.  My best guess is that in some circumstances,
Excel launches an instance of itself as an OLE server to perform
certain operations, as there is never an open file indicated with this
process in the task manager.

I did have an opportunity to investigate this once:  When this
happened to a co-worker who was working from her directory on a UNIX
server, I logged on to the server and listed the open files.  Her file
showed up as 'open'.  After killing the renegade Excel process on her
computer (which showed no filename in task manager), her file was not
'open' any more.

I have not seen this happen as frequently as it is happening to you.
Did you upgrade your Excel installation?  You may want to completely
uninstall then reinstall - I don't know if it will make a difference,
though.

Good Luck!
Mike Argy
Custom Office Solutions
and Windows/UNIX applications

Please post on-topic responses to the newsgroup

To e-mail me, remove nospam from the address in the headers
0
mikeargy (62)
12/14/2003 6:56:07 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to pint this reply and keep it by the
machine in case I need it. At this moment in time all is well. I cleaned out
all the macros in all workbooks, I deleted all names using a name manager
2.3 as recommended a while ago. I am going to leave things alone for now and
see what happens. When I decide to start messing around again I will try to
remember to do it in little steps and slowly ( not my normal MO<G>). The one
characteristic I have found in every version of Excel I have used is under
tools/options/edit tab/ provide feedback with animation - I can never get it
to stay checked, does in Word. Not really a big problem in the scheme of
things.

I love computers - thanks again for you ideas

Bill Chatfield

"Mike A" <mikeargy@nospam.ameritech.net> wrote in message
[...]

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Using outlook express as newsreaedr from outlook
I have added the News command to the menu items of outlook, this is supposed to Open oulook express as the newsreader, however when I select news it opens a folder 1033 instead of Outlook express. How do I correct this problem? Thanks for any help Bob Answer has been posted countless times. To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the...

How to earase background of a Toolbar using OnEraseBkgnd method
Hi, How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. Regards, sowmya. On Jul 21, 5:39=A0am, bhavana.sow...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > How to Make the Toolbar transparent and color by using override > OnEraseBkgnd of the Toolbar, paint it the color we want. > > Regards, > sowmya. What is the problem in doing so? Are you not able to paint it correctly. Keep in mind that if you make it transparent, its going to show the color of underlying dockbar. -- Ajay ...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to deal with empty element using ReadXML
below is a very simple XML file. I use ReadXml to read data. When it reaches an empty element as <Product /> below, my program crashes. The error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. How can I assign a value to this empty element? Thanks Bill --------------------- - <Inventory Type="Physical"> <Product /> <TankNumber>0031022207-1</TankNumber> <UserDefinedTag>0</UserDefinedTag> <DateTime>2007-07-11T03:52:00</DateTime> <Volume>0</Volume> <Ullage>1...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

How do I use Goal Seek?
i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Sure we can help. Bur what's the problem you want to solve? -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Brianne" <Brianne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89542242-B37E-42E7-9165-E6C50423E47C@microsoft.com... > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? > > i'm not quite sure how to use goal seek .. can anyone help me? Here's an simple example. Suppose to want to calculate the square root of the number in A1. In A3, put =A2...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

How do I configure Outlook to use a set email for a certain recipient
Hello, Is it possible to set Outlook 2003 in a way (either with rule or some other method) that it uses a set email address for a certain recipient? Let me clarify it. I have 2 different email accounts: one for work and for personal stuff. When I email to my friend -whose email address is stored in my address book - I want outlook to use my personal email address, even though my work email address is set as the default one. Is it possible with a rule, or some other way? I couldn't find any info on the net. Thanks, Zee Not in any current Outlook versions, no. --� Milly Staples [MVP ...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...