File Format Not Valid

HI,

I have a spreadsheet that is used on a daily basis by one user. It has been
in use for two or three months and is opened everyday, however when I
attempted to open it this morning I received the following message
"Sales.xls: File Format not Valid"

I've tried opening it in Open Office however I get a similar mesage. Anyone
got any ideas of how I would get this open. As can be expected the normal
user of the spreadsheet has not kept another copy of it.

Thanks in Advance DJ
0
Ceptor54 (2)
7/21/2006 9:13:02 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You sure it is an Excel file? Could they have saved it as CSV or text
and renamed it?
Might be worth opening it with a Hex editor and seeing if you can
identify the type of file.

Interesting section on this page

http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Errors/27080.html

saying a user opened the file in Word, see half way down page.

Just did a test myself. Opened an excel file in Word an saved it. Got a
warning "This file will be saved in Word format" and sure enough when
opening it in Excel the "File Format not valid" message appears.
Maybe this is what they did?

--
Special-K

Special-K's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7470
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563616

Thanks used Hex Editor and seem to have figured it.

Double checked with the user and they 'might' have opened it with another
programme

DJ

"Special-K" wrote:

> You sure it is an Excel file? Could they have saved it as CSV or text
> and renamed it?
> Might be worth opening it with a Hex editor and seeing if you can
> identify the type of file.
>
> Interesting section on this page
>
> http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Errors/27080.html
>
> saying a user opened the file in Word, see half way down page.
>
> Just did a test myself. Opened an excel file in Word an saved it. Got a
> warning "This file will be saved in Word format" and sure enough when
> opening it in Excel the "File Format not valid" message appears.
> Maybe this is what they did?
>

> --
> Special-K

> Special-K's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7470
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563616

0
Ceptor54 (2)
7/21/2006 10:06:02 AM
MSWord can open excel files.

And if the user saves as an MSWord document (either by accident or on
purpose--or via autosave), then the file will become an MSWord document with a
..xls extension (not .doc).

You may be able to open the file in MSWord and see if there's anything you can
save--but don't get your hopes up, there usually isn't much to save.

Ceptor54 wrote:

> Thanks used Hex Editor and seem to have figured it.
>
> Double checked with the user and they 'might' have opened it with another
> programme
>
> DJ
>
> "Special-K" wrote:
>

> > You sure it is an Excel file? Could they have saved it as CSV or text
> > and renamed it?
> > Might be worth opening it with a Hex editor and seeing if you can
> > identify the type of file.
> >
> > Interesting section on this page
> >
> > http://www.mrexcel.com/archive/Errors/27080.html
> >
> > saying a user opened the file in Word, see half way down page.
> >
> > Just did a test myself. Opened an excel file in Word an saved it. Got a
> > warning "This file will be saved in Word format" and sure enough when
> > opening it in Excel the "File Format not valid" message appears.
> > Maybe this is what they did?
> >

> > --
> > Special-K

> > Special-K's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7470
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=563616

--

Dave Peterson
0

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Conditional Formating #2
Hi, I want to format cells with specific colours. It appears that I'm limited to 3 format options. What I want to do is: if the cell contains: 1, S, SP, W, they are a green colour; SK, is another colour; and C, is yet another. I tried to put, if equal to : "1", "S", "SP", "W" to no avail... can I even do more than 3?. Regards, Kevin P.S. I tried to find the answer, maybe I'm not asking the question correctly? Thanks again. Hi Kevin, =OR(A1=1,A1="S",A1="SP", A1="W") Additional informatio...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

Convert text numbers to number format
I have received a file that has a date column. However, the column is reading as text. I need to change the column so that the date reads as a number format. Any ideas? -- montagu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ montagu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15227 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=314927 Right click and reformat as you want then click on cell and press F2 an enter to refresh data that should do the tric -- scottymellot --------------------------------------...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

C++ OLE automation
Hi, ive done a small program using OLE automation but I still don't know how to put borders on some cells This is the MACRO code, but I need to translate it to something the VC+ +/OLE2 can understand, but I have no clue on how to do that. Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' ' Range("B10:I50").Select Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone With Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft) .LineStyle = xlContinuous .ColorIndex = 0 .TintAndShade = 0 .Weight = xlThin En...

Timecode format change
How would I change the format of a standard time like 1:31 (1 minute 31 seconds) to a DV timecode format of 00:01:31:00 easily? Thanks Hello, If the format of the answer can be text, you could use the following formula (eample if your original time is specified in cell A1): =SUBSTITUTE(TEXT(A1,"hh:mm:ss.00");".";":") you will however not be directly able anymore to use this as a value, but as text. If you need to use the value somewhere, you would have to refer to the original cell, but if your wish is only to display in the format explained, it should w...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

Format a worksheet based on column widths of another ?
Can this be done ? I am importing data form txt files produced by an old dos program and I want every sheet (holding an imported txt file) to have columns the same widths as other shetts I have already formatted. Any help appreciated. Thanks Edition>Copy Edition>Paste special>Column width HTH -- AP "Isis" <isissoftNOSPAM@btinternet.com> a �crit dans le message de news: Xns97C8760B53432ISIS@216.196.109.145... > Can this be done ? > > I am importing data form txt files produced by an old dos program and I > want every sheet (holding an imported txt ...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...

Excel file saves as a temp file with numeric file name
I have a bug with an excel worksheet. When i save the file it saves it not as my filename, but as a temp file with a name like D7d98300 and the file icon is of the MS DOS variety. When i click on the file it opens up in excel. However when i save it again it saves as a temp file with a different numerical file name. Could someone please explain what the bug is? Thanks in anticipation. Michael --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ When you save a file, excel will save it as a temporary file (8 characters, no extension). Then if that save is successful, excel will delete the...

hidden tif files
I activated MDI for windows 7 and can now open mdi files; however, I can't see their icons, and I can't see .tif icons. I can only tell the files are there when I print a new .tif file and the existing file list appears during the 'save as' step. How do I see the icons/files? I have already done the "show hidden files" step. Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "GretaJo" <GretaJo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...