Expanding cells

Is there a way to have a cell expand automatically as text is added so the
entire text shows without having to manually adjust cell size?

0
pinger (8)
2/23/2008 10:30:44 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Format>Cells>Alignment.  Check "wrap text" and  Format>Row>Autofit.

OR to go the other way, Format>Column>Autofit Selection

Note: the entire row or column will expand, not just the one cell.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:30:44 -0500, "Jim Varner" <pinger@ec.rr.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to have a cell expand automatically as text is added so the
>entire text shows without having to manually adjust cell size?

0
Gord
2/23/2008 11:02:11 PM
Thank you, much

Jim Varner
> Format>Cells>Alignment.  Check "wrap text" and  Format>Row>Autofit.
>
> OR to go the other way, Format>Column>Autofit Selection
>
> Note: the entire row or column will expand, not just the one cell.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:30:44 -0500, "Jim Varner" <pinger@ec.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to have a cell expand automatically as text is added so the
>>entire text shows without having to manually adjust cell size?

0
pinger (8)

3 cell problem
Hi need help with this simple task. 3 cells A1 A2 & A3, if cell a2 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display yes, if cell a3 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display no, If both cells are blank I need A1 to be blank. Thanks Much... Diane maybe... =if(a2=1,"yes",if(a3=1,"no",if(and(a2="",a3=""),"","what goes here"))) What happens if both a2 and a3 contain 1? What happens if A2 or A3 are not blank, but don't contain 1? ...

update row numbers after different active cells in macros followi.
in macros row numbers remain fixed after a spreadsheet has been added a series of new rows in specific locations based on the location of the various active cells following a find command. can this be improved by automatically opening up correct new rows based on changing active cell? you can refer to the row of the cell that contained the value of the Find: dim FoundCell as range with activesheet set foundcell = .cells.find(what:=.....) end with if foundcell is nothing then 'not found else msgbox foundcell.row end if But I bet this isn't quite what you're asking.... ...

How do I copy the wording of a cell into a tab?
I have a large workbook with the tab titles available to copy to save typing every single one, is it possible to populate the tabs by a form of copy-paste You want your sheet tab name to reflect the value of a particular cell within that sheet? You want to copy a sheet and rename the copy to the value of a cell within that sheet? Please explain in more detail. The lack of sentence structure makes it difficult to get a clear picture. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:18:01 -0800, Jamie <Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a large wo...

Sum Numbers in a Cell that has text
Could use lot's of help as I enter the world of Excel. Total novice. I was given a sheet that has numbers and text in the same cells. I wil need to sum up the numbers so I can produce the total storage space. Some cell examples are listed below. I do not care at all about th text. I tried to create a custom formula using " to escape the tex but when I sum the fields I got 0.00 "Gb...." Example data The data is in column G 32.4Gb available (raw) 32.4Gb available (raw) Or two set's of numbers and text in a cell. Again all I want is to su up the 3.87gb,35.8... 3.87G...

Empty Cell-conditional formatting
I have a column where I enter a date when a document arrives. If it is left blank for more than 7 days I need an alert. I also have a start date in A1 to refer to. It would be 7 days from the start date, I would need the cell red or "ALERT". Thanks! SMack You want something like: =today()>$a$1+7 Color the cell red. Displaying "ALERT" would require a macro. Regards, Fred "smack" <smack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:549FC643-C7D3-483B-A8E5-04521FCD6F59@microsoft.com... >I have a column where I enter a dat...

Question: Cell formula or macro to write result of one cell to another cell
Excel-97 (SR-2) This is a long term problem that I have with Excel. I mostly write worksheet applications that have plenty of user-configurable parameters up front. This is fine for interactive work and what-if scenarios. However many of these turn into situations where I then want to scan through parameters where it would be nice to insert new values into the parameter cells under program control (either via a worksheet cell, or using a macro). There are far simpler cases over and above this that could benefit from this too. So is there an implementation of [G15] = Assign( H15, A15) ...

HTML tags changing cell shape and size
Hi, I am working on some html text in excel spreadsheet. When I past some HTML in a cell, the cell changes shape according to the html tags For example, text will become bold if <b></b> is used and font change in a similar way. Is there are way I can disable html in a cell altogether where exce treats it just like text and shape of my cell doesn't change? Thank -- wmciu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- wmcius's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1561 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/s...

In-Cell Graph Using REPT But Proportional to Cell Width?
This is in XL2003. I'm trying to make a simple in-cell graphic that visualizes a percentage created by two other cells. Here's the formula in cell K45: =REPT("|",(I45/H45)*100) (Columns I and H contain the values from which I'm deriving a percentage.) Is there any way to alter this, though, so that it takes into account the width of the column in which the cell resides? As is, either I have to lock the column down so that, in a given font, a 100% graph exactly fills the width, or I need to format the cell to "shrink to fit," which the font won...

Change condition in cell
I would like to automatically have a cell change color if it is the largest number. For instance: B1=22 B2=24 B3=30 B4=15 Since B3 is the most, I would like for it to turn RED for instance. I can't think of the proper conditional format. Anyone? Thanks! =a1=max(a:a) and copy to all involved -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Catfish" <catfishtheman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:12fb6og7lk03f1@corp.supernews.com... >I would like to automatically have a cell change color if it is the largest >number. > For instance: > B1=2...

Expanding Folders #2
I have a Hotmail account that I read with Outlook 2003, but I can't figure out how to keep the "Hotmail" folder expanded so I can see the "inbox", "Deleted items," "junk email" and "sent items" sub-folders. Thanks in advance for your assistance tubbfan <tubbfan@excite.com> wrote: > I have a Hotmail account that I read with Outlook 2003, but I can't > figure out how to keep the "Hotmail" folder expanded so I can see the > "inbox", "Deleted items," "junk email" and "sent items...

referencing cell contents, after deleting and shifting new contents into cell
Greetings all, on Sheet 2 of my workbook I reference some cells from Sheet 1. ie. "=Sheet1!D3" I have Sheet1 setup as a schedule. Since sheet1 is a schedule, its columns are days of the week.. and I constantly add days to the end of it (Columns F,G,H,I..etc..etc). When today is over, I delete columns A and B, and columns C and D shift over and become the new A and B. However on sheet 2, the reference is lost even though new values are shifted over into Columns A & B. Is there a way for the Sheet2 to keep the referencing A and B from sheet1 once the columns in Sheet1 are ...

Counting misc object in cells
Hi, hoping someone can shed some light on this. I want to sum a column that contains the following symbol "�". The following formula does not work. =COUNTA(C5:C35, "�"), where "�" would count for 1, and an unfilled cell equals 0. Help appreciated. regards, Nik -- Ntisch ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ntisch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5791 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=497774 HI Nik Try: =COUNTIF(C5:C35,"�") ...

MS Excel Cells
can i split a single cell in excel diagonally and put type in each side ? Short answer is no. But you can fake a lot of things http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=jemcgimpsey-32EEF4.06432707022004@msnews.microsoft.com --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Ddman" <Ddman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6E85364-9...

how to add a cell value to a letter to reference another cell
Is it possible to take the value of a cell (say the value of 83 that's in cell A1) and append it to a letter (Z) so that a subsequent formula can get a value that's in Z83. Hope this make's sense. Thanks in advance for the help! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way, =INDIRECT("Z"&A1) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Mac Macaroo" <Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Mac.Macaroo.vo1rn...

Is it normal for a pst file to expand when imported into an ost fi
I had a 2+GB pst file that when imported into my exchange cached environment grew to approximately 20GB. Of course this wreaked havoc on the user's mailbox, and I am now having synchronization and all kind of wierd problems. I guess my first question is, is it normal for a pst file to grow on import? Also, on that import, is it possible for the original pst file to become corrupt, or smaller after the import. I fear that I may have lost some messages in the import In news:88546C4E-0213-4C63-A237-DBF5280576B3@microsoft.com, BookerW <BookerW@discussions.microsoft.com> typ...

cell navigation #2
My keyboard arrows move the scroll bars. How do I get them to move the active cell instead? I have Office 2000 Professional with Windows XP. Turn off scroll lock on your keyboard. eric wrote: > > My keyboard arrows move the scroll bars. How do I get > them to move the active cell instead? > > I have Office 2000 Professional with Windows XP. Eric, Press the Scroll Lock key. PC "eric" <elove1@charter.net> wrote in message news:063c01c35bc2$e69085c0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > My keyboard arrows move the scroll bars. How do I get > them to move the act...

##### in a cell?
While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? Usually a number that does not fit in a cell, maybe a date (try to adjust column width) a negative time (A1-A2 where A1 holds 09:00 and A2 10:00) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9EA40C2B-1E45-4CDE-81A8-D40794F381B8@microsoft.com... > While using excel what does ##### mean in a cell? On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:23:02 -0700, "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >While using excel what does ##### mean in a ce...

Expand Tag Along
hi, how can i expand the tag along item ,that the cashier can select the tagged item from a list of items (choose a gift for customer sold free with an item). thanks ...

Cell format Issue
When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, it always convert to 899405090111023000 why is this? changing cell format doesn't help -- mar "marlon" <marlong@ceytel.lk> wrote: > When enter 899405090111023400 in my excell sheet, > it always convert to 899405090111023000 > why is this? Because Excel treats that as a number. On data entry, Excel will convert only the first 15 significant digits. Moreover, Excel will display only the 15 significant digits. > changing cell format doesn't help Actually, it does -- if you format th...

Oulook, Expand/Collapse How to setup from Expand all the time.
It drive me nut to reset this each time I need to look at my contact. Need help on this on. Ernie You can set that in the view settings. While in the view in question go to the View menu > Current View > Customize Current View > Group By dialog and set the expand/collapse setting at the bottom "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF7CD991-6AA9-47A8-8B5A-4F601176399C@microsoft.com... > It drive me nut to reset this each time I need to look at my contact. > Need help on this on. > Ernie ...

How to frreze cells for an entire year in a category so that no c.
If you provide some details on what you're trying to do, someone may be able to help you. Bailey wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt
Do you know that you can find solar cells for less than 1 USD per Watt on www.ebay.com ? Regards. ...

formating text cells
I need to format a text cell using bullets similiar to Word's bullets and numbering? Any idea on how to do that? Can Excell automatically generate the bullet? Excel doesn't support this the way Word does. I'd use Word, if at all possible. One alternative in Excel: If you put the text of the bullet point in B1, put this in A1 to generate a "bullet": =IF(B1<>"",CHAR(149),"") Copy this down as far as needed. You will likely want to use Align Right on Column A as well. Not a bad idea to adjust the width of Column A, either. tj "Cathyin...

How do I match values from cells to a list of info
Which function would I use to link data entered in to cells to the corresponding value in the chart. A B C D 1 1 1.5 2 2 .5 2 7 12 3 1 3 8 13 4 1.5 4 9 14 5 2 5 10 15 6 2.5 6 11 16 According to the chart 2x1.5=10. If one cell has the value of 2 another cell has the value of 1.5, is there a function to connect the info? Sorry if the question makes no sense, I am struggling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One way... A10 = vertical lookup ...

IF on a range of cells
Hello Everybody, I am working in Excel 2003 with two lists, dates and prices in columns A and B respectively. I am trying to use IF worksheet function to find if any prices in the prices column match a certain figure (say $24), if a match is found I want to return a corresponding date from the adjacent column, i.e. column A. For example, if I am searching for $24 in prices list and it is found in B37 then I want to return the date from A37. Is it possible? If yes then how? Despite my years of extensive experience with Excel, I haven't been able to figure that out. Than...