exit excel step by step

Hi,

When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
- excel opens
- a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
- the file which I selected opens in Excel

so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.

When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
and exit excel.

Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
click, no?
(if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
(upper left), excel closes as expected).

thanks 


0
9/6/2007 1:31:08 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
622 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will close 
Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any change).
On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel window 
one at a time the way you describe.
Are you using the correct one?
best wishes
-- 
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> Hi,
>
> When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
> - excel opens
> - a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
> - the file which I selected opens in Excel
>
> so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>
> When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
> itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
> closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
> like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
> and exit excel.
>
> Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
> click, no?
> (if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
> (upper left), excel closes as expected).
>
> thanks
> 


0
bliengme5824 (3040)
9/6/2007 1:46:17 PM
Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.

The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)



Btw, it is Excel 2007







"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht 
news:%2354pPxI8HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will 
> close Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any 
> change).
> On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel window 
> one at a time the way you describe.
> Are you using the correct one?
> best wishes
> -- 
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
> news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>> Hi,
>>
>> When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>> - excel opens
>> - a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>> - the file which I selected opens in Excel
>>
>> so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>>
>> When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from 
>> excel itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the 
>> blank file closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>> like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my 
>> file and exit excel.
>>
>> Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
>> click, no?
>> (if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
>> (upper left), excel closes as expected).
>>
>> thanks
>>
>
> 


0
9/6/2007 1:55:51 PM
Are you using Excel 2007? If so that is default behavior, the only way I 
know of closing Excel in one fell swoop in Excel 2007 is to customize the 
QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and attach the close all workbooks icon unto the 
QAT (customize excel under the office button)


-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom



"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
news:46e007a6$0$13862$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.
>
> The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)
>
>
>
> Btw, it is Excel 2007
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht 
> news:%2354pPxI8HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will 
>> close Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any 
>> change).
>> On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel window 
>> one at a time the way you describe.
>> Are you using the correct one?
>> best wishes
>> -- 
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>
>> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>> news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>>> - excel opens
>>> - a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>>> - the file which I selected opens in Excel
>>>
>>> so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>>>
>>> When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from 
>>> excel itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the 
>>> blank file closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>>> like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my 
>>> file and exit excel.
>>>
>>> Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with 
>>> one click, no?
>>> (if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
>>> (upper left), excel closes as expected).
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
terre081 (3244)
9/6/2007 3:03:38 PM
This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this problem!
He uses the same version (MS Office Professional +) of the software and when 
he uses the 'X', all open excel files as well as excel itself closes.  Just 
like it used to be in previous versions...


"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> schreef in bericht 
news:uNBzecJ8HHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Are you using Excel 2007? If so that is default behavior, the only way I 
> know of closing Excel in one fell swoop in Excel 2007 is to customize the 
> QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and attach the close all workbooks icon unto 
> the QAT (customize excel under the office button)
>
>
> -- 
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
>
>
> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
> news:46e007a6$0$13862$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>> Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.
>>
>> The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)
>>
>>
>>
>> Btw, it is Excel 2007
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht 
>> news:%2354pPxI8HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will 
>>> close Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any 
>>> change).
>>> On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel 
>>> window one at a time the way you describe.
>>> Are you using the correct one?
>>> best wishes
>>> -- 
>>> Bernard V Liengme
>>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>> remove caps from email
>>>
>>> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>>> news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>>>> - excel opens
>>>> - a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>>>> - the file which I selected opens in Excel
>>>>
>>>> so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>>>>
>>>> When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from 
>>>> excel itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the 
>>>> blank file closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>>>> like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my 
>>>> file and exit excel.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with 
>>>> one click, no?
>>>> (if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 
>>>> 'Office'button (upper left), excel closes as expected).
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
9/6/2007 4:22:20 PM
Don't know how he can do it using the x, here are some other options you 
might want to try.
Alt + F4
Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F4
Double Click the office button
Click the Office button and select Exit

I haven't Excel 2007 where I am now so I can't test them



-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom


"patrick goovaerts" <goovaertspatrick@belgacom.net> wrote in message 
news:46e029f9$0$14237$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
> This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this 
> problem!
> He uses the same version (MS Office Professional +) of the software and 
> when he uses the 'X', all open excel files as well as excel itself closes. 
> Just like it used to be in previous versions...
>
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> schreef in bericht 
> news:uNBzecJ8HHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Are you using Excel 2007? If so that is default behavior, the only way I 
>> know of closing Excel in one fell swoop in Excel 2007 is to customize the 
>> QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and attach the close all workbooks icon unto 
>> the QAT (customize excel under the office button)
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>>
>>
>> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>> news:46e007a6$0$13862$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>>> Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.
>>>
>>> The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Btw, it is Excel 2007
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht 
>>> news:%2354pPxI8HHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>> On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will 
>>>> close Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any 
>>>> change).
>>>> On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel 
>>>> window one at a time the way you describe.
>>>> Are you using the correct one?
>>>> best wishes
>>>> -- 
>>>> Bernard V Liengme
>>>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>>> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>>>> remove caps from email
>>>>
>>>> "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>>>> news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>>>>> - excel opens
>>>>> - a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>>>>> - the file which I selected opens in Excel
>>>>>
>>>>> so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>>>>>
>>>>> When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from 
>>>>> excel itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the 
>>>>> blank file closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>>>>> like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my 
>>>>> file and exit excel.
>>>>>
>>>>> Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with 
>>>>> one click, no?
>>>>> (if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 
>>>>> 'Office'button (upper left), excel closes as expected).
>>>>>
>>>>> thanks
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
terre081 (3244)
9/6/2007 4:44:36 PM
Hello:

Excel has a folder called XLstart that is located in two places referenced by the below paths.

WinXP 
C:\Documents And Settings Users\Current UserApplication Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART


Vista or Windows 7
C:\Users\Current User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Current user is name of the account you are logged into on your computer.

XLstart is also located in the below referenced location and this is the same for all versions of Windows.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART

You said you had worksheets open before the on did you actual opened then when you closed you had to click several times to get everything closed.

This is because there are workbooks in the XLstart folder Excel opened ahead of the one you opened then when you saved and closed your work the other workbooks where still open. 

The reason Excel is designed this way is to allow settings, macros and other setting to be stored as the default setting such as font style. 

I have found that these woekbooks can be deleted and Excel can still save your settings but as of now I have not found away to store macros for use on all workbooks without them being stored in a workbook that Excel starts from the XLstart folder.

If I open an Excel workbook and paste a macro in the VBS editor as a module and run the macro it will remain in the existing worksheet as long as I save it but it will not be in the next workbook I open in Excel unless I save it to a workbook that Excel opens from its XLstart folder each time.

Word has to use a template called Normal.dot in folder it uses to save any settings. 



Patrick Goovaerts wrote:

exit excel step by step
06-Sep-07

Hi,

When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
- excel opens
- a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
- the file which I selected opens in Excel

so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.

When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
and exit excel.

Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
click, no?
(if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
(upper left), excel closes as expected).

thanks

Previous Posts In This Thread:

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:31 AM
Patrick Goovaerts wrote:

exit excel step by step
Hi,

When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
- excel opens
- a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
- the file which I selected opens in Excel

so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.

When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
and exit excel.

Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
click, no?
(if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
(upper left), excel closes as expected).

thanks

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:46 AM
Bernard Liengme wrote:

On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will close
On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will close 
Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any change).
On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel window 
one at a time the way you describe.
Are you using the correct one?
best wishes
-- 
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:55 AM
Patrick Goovaerts wrote:

Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.
Yep, I am sure I am using the correct one.

The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)



Btw, it is Excel 2007







"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:03 AM
Peo Sjoblom wrote:

Are you using Excel 2007?
Are you using Excel 2007? If so that is default behavior, the only way I 
know of closing Excel in one fell swoop in Excel 2007 is to customize the 
QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and attach the close all workbooks icon unto the 
QAT (customize excel under the office button)


-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom



"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
news:46e007a6$0$13862$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:22 PM
patrick goovaerts wrote:

This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this problem!
This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this problem!
He uses the same version (MS Office Professional +) of the software and when 
he uses the 'X', all open excel files as well as excel itself closes.  Just 
like it used to be in previous versions...


"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> schreef in bericht 
news:uNBzecJ8HHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

On Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:44 PM
Peo Sjoblom wrote:

Don't know how he can do it using the x, here are some other options you might
Don't know how he can do it using the x, here are some other options you 
might want to try.
Alt + F4
Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F4
Double Click the office button
Click the Office button and select Exit

I haven't Excel 2007 where I am now so I can't test them



-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom


"patrick goovaerts" <goovaertspatrick@belgacom.net> wrote in message 
news:46e029f9$0$14237$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice 
DataContractSerializer Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ad947ce6-cd3e-4647-b69c-94d2f3b1b265/datacontractserializer-ba.aspx
0
Mark
3/18/2010 12:57:04 AM
Mark

If Personal Macro Workbook is saved as Hidden you won't be bothered by
having to click the "X" to close it.

Alternative to Personal Macro Workbook................

Copy your macros to a module or modules in a new workbook.

Save that workbook as an Add-in(*.xla or xlam)

Place it in your Office\Library.

Checkmark it to load.

Your macros will be available for all open workbooks.


Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:57:04 -0700, Mark H wrote:

>Hello:
>
>Excel has a folder called XLstart that is located in two places referenced by the below paths.
>
>WinXP 
>C:\Documents And Settings Users\Current UserApplication Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
>
>Vista or Windows 7
>C:\Users\Current User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
>
>Current user is name of the account you are logged into on your computer.
>
>XLstart is also located in the below referenced location and this is the same for all versions of Windows.
>
>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART
>
>You said you had worksheets open before the on did you actual opened then when you closed you had to click several times to get everything closed.
>
>This is because there are workbooks in the XLstart folder Excel opened ahead of the one you opened then when you saved and closed your work the other workbooks where still open. 
>
>The reason Excel is designed this way is to allow settings, macros and other setting to be stored as the default setting such as font style. 
>
>I have found that these woekbooks can be deleted and Excel can still save your settings but as of now I have not found away to store macros for use on all workbooks without them being stored in a workbook that Excel starts from the XLstart folder.
>
>If I open an Excel workbook and paste a macro in the VBS editor as a module and run the macro it will remain in the existing worksheet as long as I save it but it will not be in the next workbook I open in Excel unless I save it to a workbook that Excel opens from its XLstart folder each time.
>
>Word has to use a template called Normal.dot in folder it uses to save any settings. 
>
>
>
>Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
>
>exit excel step by step
>06-Sep-07
>
>Hi,
>
>When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>- excel opens
>- a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>- the file which I selected opens in Excel
>
>so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>
>When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
>itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
>closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
>and exit excel.
>
>Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
>click, no?
>(if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
>(upper left), excel closes as expected).
>
>thanks
>
>Previous Posts In This Thread:
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:31 AM
>Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
>
>exit excel step by step
>Hi,
>
>When I double-click an excel file the following happens:
>- excel opens
>- a blank workbook opens (like a new workbook)
>- the file which I selected opens in Excel
>
>so far so good... now I can work on my sheets.
>
>When I close excel by the upper 'exit-X' on the screen (the one from excel 
>itself), only the active file closes.  When I click again, the blank file 
>closes.  Finally when I click again, excel closes...
>like this.  This means I have to click 3x on the 'exit-X' to close my file 
>and exit excel.
>
>Anyone has a hint to sove this?  I should be able to close excel with one 
>click, no?
>(if I use the 'X exit excel' command after a click on the 'Office'button 
>(upper left), excel closes as expected).
>
>thanks
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:46 AM
>Bernard Liengme wrote:
>
>On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will close
>On the Title Bar (top row of Excel window) there is a red X which will close 
>Excel in one go (assuming all files have been saved since any change).
>On the Menu Bar there is a smaller black X, This closes each Excel window 
>one at a time the way you describe.
>Are you using the correct one?
>best wishes
>-- 
>Bernard V Liengme
>Microsoft Excel MVP
>www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
>remove caps from email
>
>"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>news:46e001d8$0$13854$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 9:55 AM
>Patrick Goovaerts wrote:
>
>Yep, I'm sure I am using the correct one.
>Yep, I am sure I am using the correct one.
>
>The X on Excel's title bar (upper-right)
>
>
>
>Btw, it is Excel 2007
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> schreef in bericht
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:03 AM
>Peo Sjoblom wrote:
>
>Are you using Excel 2007?
>Are you using Excel 2007? If so that is default behavior, the only way I 
>know of closing Excel in one fell swoop in Excel 2007 is to customize the 
>QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) and attach the close all workbooks icon unto the 
>QAT (customize excel under the office button)
>
>
>-- 
>Regards,
>
>Peo Sjoblom
>
>
>
>"Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message 
>news:46e007a6$0$13862$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be...
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:22 PM
>patrick goovaerts wrote:
>
>This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this problem!
>This was my first guess but my colleague at work doesn't have this problem!
>He uses the same version (MS Office Professional +) of the software and when 
>he uses the 'X', all open excel files as well as excel itself closes.  Just 
>like it used to be in previous versions...
>
>
>"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> schreef in bericht 
>news:uNBzecJ8HHA.5012@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>
>On Thursday, September 06, 2007 12:44 PM
>Peo Sjoblom wrote:
>
>Don't know how he can do it using the x, here are some other options you might
>Don't know how he can do it using the x, here are some other options you 
>might want to try.
>Alt + F4
>Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F4
>Double Click the office button
>Click the Office button and select Exit
>
>I haven't Excel 2007 where I am now so I can't test them

0
Gord
3/18/2010 3:37:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Inserting Columns in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I have just switched from a Dell to an Imac. I have such a basic question. I cannot insert rows or columns. It says something like can't shift data off of page. Any ideas? On 7/8/08 10:47 PM, in article 59b539bd.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Ex_Windows_User@officeformac.com" <Ex_Windows_User@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > I have just switched from a Dell to an Imac. I have such a basic question. I > cannot...

How to convert Visio flowchart to Excel or Word
Hi All This is my first time using Visio and also this forum, please pardon me if I do anything wrongly. My question is: i have a flowchart left over by my ex collgue now I need to convert to excel or word for modification, anyone can help please. Thank you Regards, Richard tan neither excel nor word can edit a visio document. you can save as a graphic image to embed in the others but to edit it you need to either be in visio or use a tool that can edit a metafile (assumes you have saved it in a metafile format). al "tyz6970" <tyz6970@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Outlook 2007 keeps crashing on exit
Everytime I close Outlook 2007 it crashes and then wants to restart. If I cancel the restart Outlook then has to rebuild the data file. Any Ideas how to fix this? Do you have any addins? Are you syncing with a PDA? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &...

Exit versus Exit and Log Off
Anyone know the different between 'Exit' and 'Exit and log off' on Outlook 2000? I'm set up with Exchange account. ...

changing property of a picture that is already pasted on excel
got a high resolution pic that has been pasted on excel file, anyway to resize it to lower resolution. my office software is 2000 excel ...

Linking Excel and Access
Hello... I'm trying to set up an excel sheet in such a manner that if a certain record exists (based upon it's primary keys) in an Access database, the cell will return X, and if not, it will return Y. Is there a method to hook up access and excel like this? I tried using PivotTables (based upon Excel help), but I'm not very experienced with them and they did not produce the desired outcome. Thanks - Eliezer For something this straightforward, take a look at SQL.REQUEST in the Excel help files. -- "Eliezer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

excel attachments
We received an excel attachment that we could not open(we have excel 2003- the attachment was some special excel 2007 attachment)..some setting must have gotten changed because we cannot open any new excel attachment -- We tried resending the attachment in 2003--when i try to open any excel attachment and I click on "OPEN" I get a box > Windows cannot find C:\Documents & settings|local settings\temporary internet files. I can only open the attachments by "Save to Disk". We have always been able to just click on "OPEN" and then read the file. ...

Transparent Child window of opened Excel file in Excel 2002
I have problem in opening Excel file in Excel 2002. If I double click on an Excel file, the child window of the opened file becomes transparent such that the desktop can be seen thru' the child window. There is no problem if I open the Excel file from Excel 2002. Regards, Martin ...

What is meant by adding outline to data in excel single line style
...

Cannot open excel files
I have a Windows 2000 machine w/ Office 2000, for some reason it will not open Excel files anymore. When I open and Excel files the "Excel.exe has created an error" box appears, then I get another box that says "Can't find the file (or one of its components) that I am trying to open. If I run Excel in /safe mode or /automation mode it works fine. Help, anyone. You should likely troubleshoot Excel: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/troubleshooting_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Troy Eline&quo...

Image hyperlink within Excel calls MS Photo Editor
[Moving this message from Function Group, may be better suited for the General Discussion group] My problem is on a hyperlink (pointing to a .jpg image file) within Excel. Upon clicking that hyperlink, Excel calls Microsoft Photo Editor, regardless of whatever my default image handler is at the OS level. I would like Excel to call Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Is there any way to change this? Thanks Function: HYPERLINK(C:\path\picture.jpg) App: Excel 2003 OS: Win XP On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:27:01 -0700, Steve Vidito <SteveVidito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >[Moving this mes...

Arrow Keys in Excel #3
While typeing in Excel, my arrow keys suddenly changed from moving from "cell to cell" to scrolling the screen. I cannot figure out how to change the keys back so that they move from "cell to cell." Any suggestions? Hit the scroll lock key. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Claude" <Claude@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20EFD914-65E1-4B08-8522-F284276F7E2A@microsoft.com... > While typeing in Excel, my arrow...

Stoplights in Excel
Is it possible to format a cell with R-Y-G stoplights? I want to be able to type in a R,Y, or G and have a stoplight with that color displayed. I know I can format the entire cell to turn a certain color but I need the stoplight graphic or something. Thanks. If you have stoplight graphics, you could adapt the technique here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html In article <712C3D07-97CE-492C-AEE4-570C46A5A199@microsoft.com>, "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible to format a cell with R-Y-G stoplights? I want to be...

Excel 2007 - Insert Picture Bug - Locks Up Excel and CSRSS.EXE to 100%
I had a complex workbook, lots of tabs with a company logo on the top (in the worksheet not the header). Any time I accessed the "PrintArea" "PrintPreview" or other page layout features of Excel2007 the worksheet would lock up and the inserted graphics would disappear or blink on and off as you scrolled around the Excel work sheet (if you could scroll at all before it locked up). I was able to re create this behavior on a new blank worksheet (.xls and .xlsx). Any picture from .jpg, .wmf, or .png was causing the same problem. Inserted picture displays fine until...

VBA
I found out that Excel 2003 has VBA built in. Could VBA be used to hav certain sections of the workbook print to different printers? If so what would be needed? The Driver for the printer, or just the printe itself? Thank you for any help on this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Printers can go by different names. This is especially true if they're network printers. The easiest way to find out what to do might be to record a macro when you do it one time. Tools|Macro|Record new macro give it a nice name and select your range/sheet and print it. change printers sel...

excel sheet formatting lost after plots
whenever i plot one of our shared excel worksheets, the cells all shift after the plot is complete, making the worksheet unreadable. any suggestions / ideas why this is happening? ...

Limits in Excel charts?
H My customer has an Excel workbook with several hundreds of lines. Every line represents a timescale. He also has a Floating Chart visualizing the timescale. Printing is on continuous form. When the table is about 200 lines the chart is no more printed. And when he adds more lines (and thus more columns to the chart) he also fails to add more lines (columns) to the chart. Note that the bars are shown and printed vertically (as rows) on continuous form and in principle not limited to paper size. I found an article explaining that if the chart is printed full page, it has a limit of 200 column...

Disappearing text in Excel cells
Actually, the text hasn't gone anywhere, but it just becomes invisible or turns into a row of XXXXs when you leave the cell. Clicking in the cell makes it visible again--but only until you leave. I've found a lot of threads that discuss various aspects and manifestations of the problem. Many people think it is related to text wrapping, but I'm not sure about that. I am sure that it is not related to the size of the text. At least not directly. Many of the threads suggested various workarounds that are supposed to make it go away, but I've tried a bunch of them, and no j...

mail merge from excel?
How do I merge lists onto letters? Take a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;212314 In article <A2126B11-6212-4553-840C-2156A6B3B539@microsoft.com>, bswope <bswope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I merge lists onto letters? ...

Excel Caused Error in VBE6.dll. Excel will Close
When trying to open Excel 2000 (Office Professional) / Windows ME the above message appeared and Excel would not open. Renaming the VBE6.DLL file and then repair and then reinstal Office did not work as the original dated VBE6.DLL file reappeared Has anyone had the sme problem? If so did you find a workable solution? ... and what was it? ...

powerpoint 2007
When I shutdown my Powerpoint 2007, 95% of the time it does not exit cleanly -- that is, it disappears from the desktop, but there is a POWERPOINT process hanging when checked with "task" tool. Very often, this hanging process runs in the background that consumes quite some CPU, that I have to "kill" it. Wonder what's the problem and how can I fix it? Or this might be a bug to report. This is highly repeatable on my Window XP. I Googled but didn't find similar issues by others. j In article <4cbc2d05-99ee-48de-ac30- 24855a74fdb1@g27g2000yqn.goo...

Sending excel attachments
Hi! I really need help on this situation. The president of my company is having a hard time sending a customer an excel spreadsheet outside of the company. We use Microsoft Office 2000. The user states that when she opens it, it's JIBBERISH. When the president sends it to me, I can see it fine. When I sent the same attachment to the same customer from my computer, the customer was able to read it. I did another test for the president to send it to another user in their company (the IT manager), he is unable to read it. I know the customer uses Office XP 2003, so I don...

Excel icons
Hello, Is there a place where I could download the new Excel icon sets? Though I am still working with Office 2003 I'd like my users to get accustomed to the status icons (green-yellow-red). Thanks! ...

Excel 2007 stacked column charts
When I create a stacked column chart I only get very narrow coloured lines, instead of the usual thicker vertical bars. Please advise how I can produce the bars. (This question asked two days ago, and there was an auto response to say that an answer had been posted, but the link produced only a blank screen). Hi, There seems to be something wrong with auto response, you should check the previous post. One possible solution is to right-click a column and choose Format Data Series, and in the first tab decrease the Gap Width. -- If this helps, please click the Yes button. Cheers, S...

How do I merge excel information with a word document?
I need to create a way to place excel information into word documents that are already created to. Differant information in differant forms. They are legal forms and would like to insert the data without manually dong so in the document. I'm using Word 2003 and Excel 2003. Any help would be great. I'd use a Mail Merge. See link for more info. http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/ExpressMailMerges.htm Please come back if you have more questions. Barb Reinhardt "Dawn" wrote: > I need to create a way to place excel information into word documents that > are a...