Excel to Excel Automation

Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has
been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this
information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this
possible thorough VBA.

Thanks for any advice..

Larry Bargers

--
lbargers
lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You are really better off using the destination to pull the info from
the original sheet.  Excel is not built to 'send' info.

A simple formula such as:

='C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\[Book4.xls]Sheet1'!$A$99

in your desired destination will _pull_ data from the listed sheet into
your new sheet.  When the original is updated, the new sheet will update
as well.

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211

Thanks for your response!  That makes sense to pull it in that way. Does
it work the same for pulling in a range of values, or for checking if a
cerain box contains a 'No' value. For instance, lets say I wanted to
plug in a column of values, where one cell in that column contains text
= 'No'. Would this require running a do while loop in VBA?

--
lbargers
lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211

Hi Larry,

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Copy _
    Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B1")

Embellish the range as needed.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"lbargers" <lbargers.256xja_1143231600.9957@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:lbargers.256xja_1143231600.9957@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has
> been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this
> information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this
> possible thorough VBA.
>
> Thanks for any advice..
>
> Larry Bargers
>

> --
> lbargers
> lbargers's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211

0
lhkittle (223)
3/24/2006 8:54:37 PM
You can use formulas in different cells to pull from various cells in the
original workbook (one cell pulls one cell (usually)).

And if you have linked cells that are assigned to those boxes, you can pull the
value from the linked cell, too.  There is no formula that can pull directly
from a checkbox--even in the same workbook.

lbargers wrote:

> Thanks for your response!  That makes sense to pull it in that way. Does
> it work the same for pulling in a range of values, or for checking if a
> cerain box contains a 'No' value. For instance, lets say I wanted to
> plug in a column of values, where one cell in that column contains text
> = 'No'. Would this require running a do while loop in VBA?
>
> --
> lbargers
> lbargers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211

--

Dave Peterson
0

There is a slight danger in having data in different spreadsheets.  If data
in the origin cell is moved it will not be seen and you will get some funny
results.  It is better, if at all possible, for the origin data and target
data to be in different worksheets in the same spreadsheet -if just to keep
everything together.  Whether or not this can be done it is better to define
the name of the cell of origin.  In this way it will be found wherever it
is.  To do this highlight the cell of origin and click on
<Insert><Name><Define> enter a short name and click on <OK>

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"lbargers" <lbargers.256xja_1143231600.9957@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:lbargers.256xja_1143231600.9957@excelforum-nospam.com...

> Could someone please explain the best process for taking data that has
> been typed into certain cells in spreadsheet and sending this
> information to another spreadsheet, in a different location.. Is this
> possible thorough VBA.
>
> Thanks for any advice..
>
> Larry Bargers
>

> --
> lbargers
> lbargers's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32798
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526211

0
Bill

How to create a similar resume in MS Excel ???
Hello All, I came across this interesting resume which has been prepared as a graph and charts sheet / dashboard. Although some may question its relevance / consistency in color usage / display of information , it is doing what it means to do... It captures attention and would surely give the candidate a boost. http://theportfolio.ofmichaelanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/resume-infographic.jpg I was wondering how this can be created using MS Excel... can someone help me on this ??? Regards, Anand Kumar On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:13:21 -0700 (PDT), anandydr <anandydr@gmail.com> w...

Excel query from Access databases
Hi, I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo. I'll like to run a query in Excel using Get External Data... whereby I could create a report that brings in data from both the databases. Having tried this in Excel, it seems that I can only use one table at a time, is there a way to overcome the issue. Thanks, Rob Hi Rob- "I have two separate databases in Access that have a common field of CustNo." Is that accurate or do you mean 2 separate Tables in 1 Access DB file which use CustNo as the common field? AFAIK you can only query one Access...

Excel Charts with attached comments option
It would be good if you could add a comment to a cell and have an option when charting that cell to either show the comment or not. The comment should then be linked to that specific data point. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com...

Formulas in Excel
Hi I am not sure how to word this but here goes, I would like to be able to enter a w-4 withholding exemption (single and 1 or married and 2, etc.) and have excel calculate this change automatically. Would this be an IF formula? Thanks for any help you can offer. -- Life, Love and Happiness Give us some figures or a bit for information as anything can be an IF statement, a simple =A1+B1 can be If=(A1<>"",A1+B1,"") or an if and If=(And(A1<>"",B1<>""),A1+B1,"") etc. so as you can see we need a little more info! -- The...

How do I separate address information from within an Excel cell?
I have a Christmas Card list that was created using a single cell for the whole address. Street, City, Zip/Postal etc. I need to split those components out into separate cells in order to do a proper mail merge. Is there any way to do this. I am not completely unfamiliar with macros but I if that is the solution I would require a fair bit of hand holding. Thanks S. If you actually used commas to separate the fields (and none of the fields contain commas), you could select the column and do: Data|text to columns delimited comma Remember to keep enough open columns to the right s...

Can I move down 12 rows in excel for every new entry
I am entering records of numbers which have formulas for calculation. I want to place these records every 12 rows and be able to automate the worksheet for our office personnel. How? HELP!! There can be anywhere from 50 to 150 records depending on how many batches are produced in manufacturing plant. right click sheet tab>view code>copy\paste this. If not column A (1) then change. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(12).Select End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mickey&...

removing macros in Excel 97
I have a few spreadsheets that upon opening ask if I want to enable or disable the macros. When I open the file there are no macros and unhiding the sheets shows no macros as well. I have removed the modules that were present on the file but to no avail, every time I open the file it asks the same question. Does anyone know how to find these hidden macro's. I tried the knowledge database (article attached) but it didn't work as there are no ranges or hidden ranges as well. Can someone help, this is getting frustrating. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;...

How to add right-click menu in excel.
I have a user who cannot right click on cells. When she right clicks on a cell nothing happens. I have check in MS-Word (thinking that it has something to do wit office) but it works fine. What is the easiest way to get the right-click menu working again. She had this problem once before but cant remember how it was fixed. Thanks for the help -- oioio ----------------------------------------------------------------------- oioioi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2719 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4670...

Frx NP rows and Excel export
In versions of Frx6.7 SP9 and lower when a column is made NP in Frx, when the report genrated is exported to Excel the NP column is not transferred to Excel. In Frx6.7 SP10 I have now found that NP columns now export to Excel and are displayed as hidden columns in Frx. As far as I can tell is is supposed to be function enhancement rather than a bug. Can someone confirm this for me? Also - is there a way somehow to ensure it works in the way it did previosuly (I ask this I my client has multiple complex Excel sheets that link to the columns in this exported sheet - now due to this '...

Need inserted lines to print in correct position on Excel graphs
The aim lines and trend lines that I inserted into the Excel graph appear in the correct position on my monitor screen, but when I print the graph they appear higher than when seen on the screen. How can I get the printed lines to appear in the correct position? Hi, Did you use shapes to draw the lines? You could try changing the Move and cell property. But the best solution would be to create the lines using dummy series. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lavonne" <Lavonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4CD...

Close Button In Excel Grayed Out
From time to time, when I open Excel the close button in the top right to close the program is grayed out, and I have to go to File -> Exit to close the program. I think I remeber a knowledgebase article concerning this topic about 6 months ago when someone else in the office was having the problem, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know the cause/workaround for this bug? Any help is appreciated. cheers, Ben Moore Hi http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260199&Product= xlw XL: Close Button Is Dimmed After Groupwise Is Installed -- Regards Frank Kabel F...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

getting events from Excel
Hello, How to I send events from Excel to my VB6 application? I am unfamiliar with ActiveX . I think I see it as some sort of server logically sitting between my app and Excel. That is to say, I think that I would raise events in Excel VBA, the server catches them and raises events in my vb6 app. My need for this is that my app installs a toolbar in Excel. When the user selects an action from the toolbar, I need to send to my app the action code and a string of coded information. I would also like to have Bidirectional communication but I dont see how that could be done. I n...

excel printing #8
how can I print pictures in excel sheet properly as it is getting printed thrice whereas it shows once in the print preview. I've never seen xl do this--but I don't print too many pictures using xl. But after verifying that the pictures are indeed correct (there aren't triplicates), I'd look at the printer driver. Do you have another printer you can try? If it works on that other printer, I'd visit the printer's web site and look for a new (or fresher) copy of the driver. (But this is just something to try!) yong wrote: > > how can I print > pictures in...

why does excel add 0's to a cell?
when I add numbers to a cell, excel adds tree zero's to the number. Is this a bug in excel? How can I fix this problem? Check the number format for the cell. Format it as General. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:174D91D7-B8A2-4058-9A80-C47D33D369E6@microsoft.com... > when I add numbers to a cell, excel adds tree zero's to the > number. Is this a > bug in excel? How can I fix this problem? Kathryn, If Chip's su...

HTML to Excel
I'm trying to find a way to allow users that are viewing online reports to click on a link and have what is in the html file export to Excel. Has anyone seen a snippit of code that can do this? We're writing most of our reporting code in PLSQL or PSP. ...

Problems XSLT Transformation of XML Data to EXCEL 2000
Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels version is in Office 2000 and also its works fine if the Office Excel Version 2002 and up when attachment file is open via browser the data is in a single line of string in the first row of the excel worksheet Glenn Gomez wrote: > Does Office Excel 2000 support XSLT transformation of data from XML cause am > having problem when the attachment is opened in the client side if the Excels > version is in Office 2000 > >...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

Excel 2003 / Send To / Mail Recipient / body text is removed
When a user is working in Excel 2003 and hits File.. Send To.. Mail Recipient.. it takes the spreadsheet and places it in an Outlook 2003 email as an Attachment. If they type any text into the body of the email it is replaced with <<...>> How can I change this ? If you don't get a good reply here, you may want to post in one of the .Outlook newsgroups. jmaynard2 wrote: > > When a user is working in Excel 2003 and hits File.. Send To.. Mail > Recipient.. it takes the spreadsheet and places it in an Outlook 2003 email > as an Attachment. > > If they typ...

Default Print Quality setting in Excel
Hi, Is there a way to force the default Print Quality (under page setup) to a specific resolution for all workbooks opened? The problem we have is that when we open a workbook and set the printer to the AdobePDF printer, it forces the resolution to 4000 dpi, which messes up all of our margins & forces all of our models onto multiple pages. By setting that resolution back down to 600 (the most we would ever want), the pages all snap back into place. We have thousands of models that have this problem (we just upgraded to Office2003 and Adobe 6.0) and the users are very upset th...

how to use Field codes in Excel
Hi, I am facing a problem in using custom property values in excel worksheet. Here is my requirement. I want to display the Version No in the footer. how to do the same using custom properties. I have used field codes in Word but could not find the same in excel. Can you pls help ASAP "Radhika" wrote... >I am facing a problem in using custom property values in >excel worksheet. Here is my requirement. I want to >display the Version No in the footer. how to do the same >using custom properties. I have used field codes in Word >but could not find the s...

How do I install MegaStat for Excel 2003?
I cannot find MegaStat in Excel 2003. Where can I find it? To my knowledge, Megastat doesn't come with Excel. You have to purchase it separately. One place to get it: http://blue.butler.edu/~orris/megastat/body_index.html tj "coldmom33" wrote: > I cannot find MegaStat in Excel 2003. Where can I find it? ...

Making a chart in excel.
Whenever I try to make a chart from data in excel, it returns " The program has enountered an error and will shut itself down down" and then it does. How can I make a chart? -- bill In article <4E7028F8-4F6D-4714-8904-1F0037762DE7@microsoft.com>, blackcat@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Whenever I try to make a chart from data in excel, it returns " The program > has enountered an error and will shut itself down down" and then it does. How > can I make a chart? > About the best I can suggest is to do more diagostics or repair. And, keep in mi...

I need an Excel Genius !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Headers/Footer Changes
I think I need some work around code. I have two workbooks named QG and Add-In. Add-In contains all the code to manipulate data in QG. I have two option buttons in Sheets("QUOTE") in QG. Each option button represents a company. When an option button is clicked the code below located in Add-In is called, which changes the Header and Footer to represent that company. The code works fine, but there is a fault. If the Logo is moved to a different folder the code fails. Is there a way to store the two company logos (.jpeg) in one of the workbooks so that when one...

Footnotes in Excel?
ExcelXP Is it possible to add a footnote to a cell that includes a formula? Thank you. If by "footnote" you mean "Comment", YES! <Insert> <Comment> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Debutante" <akdjakls@jdakfldj.com> wrote in message news:uUapn94EFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... ExcelXP Is it possible to add a footnote to a cell that includes a formula? Thank you. And if you don't want a com...