Excel says "Cannot read record 1234" upon opening .SLK file

I have an application that writes a .SLK file for consumption by Excel.
It "works" in that Excel can open the SLK file and the
formatting/values are preserved. But Excel reports a whole series of
errors like "Cannot read record <number>".

If I click "No" when Excel asks "Continue reporting each error", the
file appears correctly. But the file is going to be automatically
produced and then consumed by a client--I don't want to ask my client
to "just ignore those errors". I'd rather find a way to produce a SLK
file that didn't cause Excel to report any errors!

I found one thread that talks about the locality making a difference,
but the author didn't say how to fix it.

Here's the first part of my SLK file. Any help would be great!

p.s. We chose SLK format because it has broad support on older versions
of Excel which is important for our clients.

ID;PWXL;N;E
P;PGeneral
P;P0
P;P0.00
P;P#,##0
P;P#,##0.00
P;P#,##0_);;\(#,##0\)
P;P#,##0_);;[Red]\(#,##0\)
P;P#,##0.00_);;\(#,##0.00\)
P;P#,##0.00_);;[Red]\(#,##0.00\)
P;P"$"#,##0_);;\("$"#,##0\)
P;P"$"#,##0_);;[Red]\("$"#,##0\)
P;P"$"#,##0.00_);;\("$"#,##0.00\)
P;P"$"#,##0.00_);;[Red]\("$"#,##0.00\)
P;P0%
P;P0.00%
P;P0.00E+00
P;P##0.0E+0
P;P#\ ?/?
P;P#\ ??/??
P;Pm/d/yyyy
P;Pd\-mmm\-yy
P;Pd\-mmm
P;Pmmm\-yy
P;Ph:mm\ AM/PM
P;Ph:mm:ss\ AM/PM
P;Ph:mm
P;Ph:mm:ss
P;Pm/d/yyyy\ h:mm
P;Pmm:ss
P;Pmm:ss.0
P;P@
P;P[h]:mm:ss
P;P_("$"* #,##0_);;_("$"* \(#,##0\);;_("$"* "-"_);;_(@_)
P;P_(* #,##0_);;_(* \(#,##0\);;_(* "-"_);;_(@_)
F;P30;FG0G;C1
F;P30;FG0G;C2
F;P30;FG0G;C3
F;P30;FG0G;C4
F;P30;FG0G;C5
F;P30;FG0G;C6
F;P30;FG0G;C7
F;P30;FG0G;C8
F;P30;FG0G;C9
F;P30;FG0G;C10
F;P30;FG0G;C11
F;P30;FG0G;C12
F;P30;FG0G;C13
F;P30;FG0G;C14
F;P30;FG0G;C15
C;Y1;X1;N;K"Col1"
C;X2;N;K"Col2"
C;X3;N;K"Col3"
C;X4;N;K"Col4"
C;X5;N;K"Col5"
C;X6;N;K"Col6"
C;X7;N;K"Col7"
C;X8;N;K"Col8"
C;X9;N;K"Col9"
C;X10;N;K"Col10"
C;X11;N;K"Col11"
C;X12;N;K"Col12"
C;X13;N;K"Col13"
C;X14;N;K"Col14"
C;X15;N;K"Col15"
C;X16;N;K"Col16"
F;P30;FG0G;Y2;X1
C;Y2;X1;N;K"123469798903"
C;Y2;X2;N;K"10.00"
C;Y2;X3;N;K"240"
C;Y2;X4;N;K"$10.00"
C;Y2;X5;N;K"53"
C;Y2;X6;N;K"53@example.comxx"
C;Y2;X7;N;K"Generic"
C;Y2;X8;N;K""
C;Y2;X9;N;K"Shopper"
C;Y2;X10;N;K"100 Main St"
C;Y2;X11;N;K""
C;Y2;X12;N;K"Belmont"
C;Y2;X13;N;K"CA"
C;Y2;X14;N;K"94002"
C;Y2;X15;N;K"9999999999"
C;Y2;X16;N;K"1416345"
F;P30;FG0G;Y3;X1

0
abunner (3)
5/16/2005 8:45:55 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This was posted by Myrna Larson:

===========
From: Myrna Larson <myrnalarson@home.net>
Subject: Re: file format error message

>I have a Excel .csv file that somebody in my company e-mailed to me that
>they want me to see if I can repair. When I try to open the file I get an
>error message that says 'SYLK: file format is not valid'. Is there any way
>that I can save this file?

You get this message when the 1st 2 characters in the file are "ID", without
the quotes. So use Notepad or WordPad to change one or both of these
characters. Then import it, then correct the data in the 1st cell.

===========

Maybe it's that "ID" as the first couple of bytes in your text file????

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Organization of a SYLK File
1. ID must be the first record.
7. E must be the last record.
"

Myrna was hepling someone correct a problem with a .CSV file. Mine's a
..SLK file and, I'm pretty sure it should begin with an "ID".

Any other ideas?

0
abunner (3)
5/16/2005 10:06:49 PM
Doh!

I remembered _a_ problem--just not _your_ problem.

sorry.

And I don't have any other guess.

I do remember trying this a little while ago.  Even though I got the error
message, the data was brought in ok.

Have you checked to see if the values are ok--not withstanding the error
messages.

--

Dave Peterson
0

0
abunner (3)
5/18/2005 12:35:01 AM
I don't use SLYK files and I don't know what causes the error.

Maybe someone else can jump in.

Sorry.