Excel: Remove characters from cells using wildcards

Can you anyone help me with this problem please?
 I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove
the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the
parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example
(Queensland).
I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of
brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second
set of brackets and its contents.
If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number .
While in the second set always contains a word.

Before:

(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
(2) Townsville SEA FM 0800
(11) ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
(212) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730

After:

ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
Townsville SEA FM 0800
ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730

Can anyone help me please? I would eternally gratefull.

Harry

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On 23 Apr 2007 02:50:39 -0700, flashdavies@gmail.com wrote:

>Can you anyone help me with this problem please?
> I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove
>the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the
>parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example
>(Queensland).
>I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of
>brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second
>set of brackets and its contents.
>If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number .
>While in the second set always contains a word.
>
>Before:
>
>(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
>(2) Townsville SEA FM 0800
>(11) ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
>(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
>(212) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730
>

>After:
>
>ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
>Townsville SEA FM 0800
>ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
>ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
>ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730
>

>Can anyone help me please? I would eternally gratefull.
>
>Harry

ASSUMING that your strings always start with a value in brackets, you could use
this formula;

=TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(")",A1)+1,255))

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
4/23/2007 10:17:55 AM
On Apr 23, 8:17 pm, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2007 02:50:39 -0700, flashdav...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >Can you anyone help me with this problem please?
> > I have a column of data like the one below and I would like to remove
> >the the front part, (x) from the cell, but I don't want to remove the
> >parts in bracket that come later in the cell, for example
> >(Queensland).
> >I tried using Replace (**), and it did remove the first set of
> >brackets and its contents but unfortunately it also removed the second
> >set of brackets and its contents.
> >If it helps in the first set of bracket, (x), x is always a number .
> >While in the second set always contains a word.
>
> >Before:
>
> >(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
> >(2) Townsville SEA FM 0800
> >(11) ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
> >(1) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
> >(212) ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730
>
> >After:
>
> >ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630 News
> >Townsville SEA FM 0800
> >ABC Coast FM (Gold & Tweed Coasts) 1400
> >ABC Far North (Queensland) 0630
> >ABC Far North (Queensland) 0730
>
> >Can anyone help me please? I would eternally gratefull.
>
> >Harry
>
> ASSUMING that your strings always start with a value in brackets, you could use
> this formula;
>
> =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(")",A1)+1,255))
>
> --ron- Hide quoted text -

Yes, the strings ALWAYS start with a value in brackets.
Thanks for showing me that. I tried it and it sort of worked - sort -
but only for the first cell: I wasn't sure how to make it apply to the
entire column. But useful as that is to know that is not quite what I
was looking for today (however I am sure I will use that function
sometime).

I realize now that I need to provide more information.
Lets say my column starts at A1 and contiunes to A260, and also, there
is information in columns B, C, D and E, to keep intact. In my
example, each cell value in A represents a medium such as a radio
station, and the values in B represent the ratings, and C represents a
ranking etc.

I want to remove the number in brackets at the begining of the cells
in column A because I wish to sort my data by medium (i.e., column A)
in alphabetical order. Of course, if there is a way to still sort by
alphabetical order by somehow disregarding the information in brackets
that would useful to know as well - actually, extremely useful!

Thanks,
Harry

Temporarily insert a new column B.
Put Ron's formula in A1 and fill it down through B260.

Then select B1:B260
Edit|Copy
Select A1
edit|Paste special|Values

And then delete column B.

--

Dave Peterson
0
On Apr 23, 9:30 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Temporarily insert a new column B.
> Put Ron's formula in A1 and fill it down through B260.
>
> Then select B1:B260
> Edit|Copy
> Select A1
> edit|Paste special|Values
>
> And then delete column B.
>

> flashdav...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > ASSUMING that your strings always start with a value in brackets, you could use
> > > this formula;
>
> > > =TRIM(MID(A1,FIND(")",A1)+1,255))
>
> > > --ron- Hide quoted text -

> > Yes, the strings ALWAYS start with a value in brackets.
> > Thanks for showing me that. I tried it and it sort of worked - sort -
> > but only for the first cell: I wasn't sure how to make it apply to the
> > entire column. But useful as that is to know that is not quite what I
> > was looking for today (however I am sure I will use that function
> > sometime).
>
> > I realize now that I need to provide more information.
> > Lets say my column starts at A1 and contiunes to A260, and also, there
> > is information in columns B, C, D and E, to keep intact. In my
> > example, each cell value in A represents a medium such as a radio
> > station, and the values in B represent the ratings, and C represents a
> > ranking etc.
>
> > I want to remove the number in brackets at the begining of the cells
> > in column A because I wish to sort my data by medium (i.e., column A)
> > in alphabetical order. Of course, if there is a way to still sort by
> > alphabetical order by somehow disregarding the information in brackets
> > that would useful to know as well - actually, extremely useful!
>
> > Thanks,
> > Harry
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Gotcha!  I should have realized that before. (Its been a long day.)
Thanks very much to both of you.

Harry

On 23 Apr 2007 04:47:29 -0700, flashdavies@gmail.com wrote:

>Gotcha!  I should have realized that before. (Its been a long day.)
>Thanks very much to both of you.
>
>Harry

Glad you got it working, Harry.  Thanks for the feedback.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
4/23/2007 11:57:17 AM
On Apr 23, 9:57 pm, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2007 04:47:29 -0700, flashdav...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >Gotcha!  I should have realized that before. (Its been a long day.)
> >Thanks very much to both of you.
>
> >Harry
>
> Glad you got it working, Harry.  Thanks for the feedback.
> --ron

I am just a beginner with Excel and it took a little while to
understand how that formula works; but, now that I do, I have realized
that it can be, for my purposes, simplified a little to this:
MID(A2,FIND(")",A2)+2,255)

Thanks,
Harry

On 27 Apr 2007 02:55:52 -0700, flashdavies@gmail.com wrote:

>On Apr 23, 9:57 pm, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
>> On 23 Apr 2007 04:47:29 -0700, flashdav...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> >Gotcha!  I should have realized that before. (Its been a long day.)
>> >Thanks very much to both of you.
>>
>> >Harry
>>
>> Glad you got it working, Harry.  Thanks for the feedback.
>> --ron
>
>I am just a beginner with Excel and it took a little while to
>understand how that formula works; but, now that I do, I have realized
>that it can be, for my purposes, simplified a little to this:
>MID(A2,FIND(")",A2)+2,255)
>
>Thanks,
>Harry

That works so long as there is always one, and only one, space between the ")"
and the rest of the string.
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
4/27/2007 10:59:56 AM
On Apr 27, 8:59 pm, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2007 02:55:52 -0700, flashdav...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Glad you got it working, Harry.  Thanks for the feedback.
> >> --ron
>
> >I am just a beginner withExceland it took a little while to
> >understand how that formula works; but, now that I do, I have realized
> >that it can be, for my purposes, simplified a little to this:
> >MID(A2,FIND(")",A2)+2,255)
>
> >Thanks,
> >Harry
>
> That works so long as there is always one, and only one, space between the ")"
> and the rest of the string.
> --ron

Yes that is true. And in my example it is not really clear. I guess
TRIM makes sure that it is  neat and  tidy. Often when data is
imported from another program as it would have been in my example, it
isn't.

Extract emails from cells with text
I have a row in column A which includes an email address in the text that I'd like to extract to column B. Is there a formula I can use to accomplish extracting the email address only to column B? Here's an example of different cells in column A: Please email example@law.ufl.edu to contact us...... OR Schedule an appointment for assistance, or email example@uga.edu with your questions... Thank you Try this... All on one line: =TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(A1,FIND (" ",A1&" ",FIND("@",A1))-1)," ", REPT(" ",...

Printing an Excel doucument

Windows Update

excel axes

Removed content in right columns and limited size of spreadsheet
I was trying to get rid of the contents in the columns to the right of my spreadsheet and instead I accidently deleted everything to the right (area is now grey). Now I can't insert new columns because I have limited the size of the spreadsheet. How can I recover columns to the right? I can't just click undo because I have saved and gone out of the spreadsheet. The data in deleted columns is lost I do not understand how you think you have limited the size of the worksheet That is not possible tell us more best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Creating a Chart from Cells that use a List Box
Hi, I am trying to create a number of charts (e.g., pie, line etc) based on data that is slelected from a list box (i.e., data validation). What i would like to do is create the charts before any data is entered (if that makes sense) and as data is entered the charts will display this. ...

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

scatter plots using pivot table data

Using resources, how to ?

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...