I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
situations.

Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.

Explanation:
In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
your opponent to fold.

A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in the
hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards that
will give you the winning hand).

Example:
You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
addition to his $100).
x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot

I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold)
to show me the break even point of this re-raise.

When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
account for both. He can call or he can fold:
100% of the time he folds I will win $250
2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
re-raised all in with)
1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)

So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the %
my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 6:14:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

FISH wrote:
> I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
> situations.
>
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
> your opponent to fold.
>
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in the
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards that
> will give you the winning hand).
>
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold)
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the %
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
win 1/3 of the time = $450
lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)

Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.

0
birelan (531)

> It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
> win 1/3 of the time = $450
> lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>
> Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.

BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each and
every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure out how
often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make sense
(Break even).

So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half the
time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will fold about
1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise. Those are
extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know precisely how
often he will need to fold.

Thanks.

> FISH wrote:
>> I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
>> situations.
>>
>> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
>> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>>
>> Explanation:
>> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
>> your opponent to fold.
>>
>> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a
>> bet by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind
>> in the hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs"
>> (cards that will give you the winning hand).
>>
>> Example:
>> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
>> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
>> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
>> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
>> addition to his $100).
>> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>>
>> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
>> fold) to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>>
>> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
>> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
>> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
>> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
>> re-raised all in with)
>> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
>> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>>
>> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate
>> the % my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 6:38:32 PM
Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have.
At the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to
the point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will
lose $50 on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win
$250, to break even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.

He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.

1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%

FISH wrote:
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
>>win 1/3 of the time = $450
>>lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>>
>>Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.
>>

> BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each and
> every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure out how
> often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make sense
> (Break even).
>
> So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half the
> time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will fold about
> 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise. Those are
> extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know precisely how
> often he will need to fold.
>
> Thanks.
>

>>FISH wrote:
>>
>>>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
>>>situations.
>>>
>>>Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
>>>need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>>>
>>>Explanation:
>>>In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
>>>your opponent to fold.
>>>
>>>A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a
>>>bet by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind
>>>in the hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs"
>>>(cards that will give you the winning hand).
>>>
>>>Example:
>>>You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
>>>about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
>>>There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
>>>If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
>>>addition to his $100).
>>>x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>>>
>>>I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
>>>fold) to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>>>
>>>When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
>>>account for both. He can call or he can fold:
>>>100% of the time he folds I will win $250
>>>2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
>>>re-raised all in with)
>>>1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
>>>pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>>>
>>>So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate
>>>the % my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>>>

>>>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 7:21:31 PM
Thank you Bob,

Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
(in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more then
1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If not, a
raise would show a loss over the long run.

I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I can
quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all in.

> Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have. At
> the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
> point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose $50
> on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to break
> even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>
> He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>
> 1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%
>

> FISH wrote:
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
>>>win 1/3 of the time = $450
>>>lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>>>
>>>Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.
>>>

>> BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each
>> and every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure
>> out how often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make
>> sense (Break even).
>>
>> So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half
>> the time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will
>> fold about 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise.
>> Those are extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know
>> precisely how often he will need to fold.
>>
>> Thanks.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 7:58:29 PM
The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How
much you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).

FISH wrote:

> Thank you Bob,
>
> Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
> (in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more then
> 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If not, a
> raise would show a loss over the long run.
>

> I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I can
> quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all in.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have. At
>>the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
>>point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose $50
>>on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to break
>>even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>>
>>He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>>
>>1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%
>>

>>FISH wrote:
>>
>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each
>>>and every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure
>>>out how often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make
>>>sense (Break even).
>>>
>>>So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half
>>>the time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will
>>>fold about 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise.
>>>Those are extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know
>>>precisely how often he will need to fold.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 8:34:38 PM
Sorry for the additional request for help, but...how to I enter this info
into an Excel workbook?

I'm looking for a workbook where I can enter in the given info (current pot
size, current bet, chance of winning with my hand, remaining stack size that
can be won or lost). Then find the correct fold % I will need from my
opponent.

> The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How much
> you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).
>
> FISH wrote:
>
>> Thank you Bob,
>>
>> Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
>> (in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more
>> then 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If
>> not, a raise would show a loss over the long run.
>>

>> I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I
>> can quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all
>> in.
>>

>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have.
>>>At the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
>>>point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose
>>>$50 on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to
>>>break even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>>>
>>>He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>>>
>>>1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 8:53:04 PM
You will need to build it yourself. We just called it buying the pot.

FISH wrote:

> Sorry for the additional request for help, but...how to I enter this info
> into an Excel workbook?
>

> I'm looking for a workbook where I can enter in the given info (current pot
> size, current bet, chance of winning with my hand, remaining stack size that
> can be won or lost). Then find the correct fold % I will need from my
> opponent.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How much
>>you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).
>>
>>FISH wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you Bob,
>>>
>>>Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
>>>(in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more
>>>then 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If
>>>not, a raise would show a loss over the long run.
>>>

>>>I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I
>>>can quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all
>>>in.
>>>

>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 9:02:46 PM
Well, that was my original question. How to build this in Excel?

If I knew how to do it, I wouldn't of needed to come here and ask for help
:)

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message =
>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker=20
> situations.
>=20
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent =
will=20
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>=20
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR =
getting=20
> your opponent to fold.
>=20
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a =
bet=20
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind =
in the=20
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards =
that=20
> will give you the winning hand).
>=20
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning =
hand=20
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 =
in=20
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>=20
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to =
fold)=20
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>=20
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to=20
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I=20
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original=20
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>=20
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate =
the %=20
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>=20
>=20
> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:

      DATA  =20
      Prob opponent folds =3D 33% =20
      Prob I make my draw=3D 33% =20
      Amount in pot 250 =20
      Amount of my re-raise 300 =20
      =20
      CALCULATIONS  =20
      My gain from fold =3D+B2*B4 =20
      My gain from draw-win =3D(1-B2)*B3*B4 =20
      My loss from draw-lose =3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5 =20
      My overall probable gain =3DSUM(B8:B10) =20
      =20

The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the =
right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability =
that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero =
(break-even), or use the in-built solver function.

You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand =
this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:

First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get =
your 'mathematical expectation'.
Second, you multiply probabilities.

HTH=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"FISH" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:no@spam.com"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>no@spam.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; wrote in message </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:Ae1Uj.8724$iK6.8698@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:Ae1Uj.8724$iK6.8698@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;I want to create a Excel workbook =
that will=20
help in specific poker <BR>&gt; situations.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Short =
version: I=20
want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will <BR>&gt; need to =
fold=20
for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
Explanation:<BR>&gt; In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand =
at the=20
end OR getting <BR>&gt; your opponent to fold.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A common =

situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet =
<BR>&gt; by=20
your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in =
the=20
<BR>&gt; hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" =
(cards=20
that <BR>&gt; will give you the winning hand).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Example:<BR>&gt;=20
You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand =
<BR>&gt;=20
about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.<BR>&gt; There is =
$150 in the=20
pot and your opponent bets another $100.<BR>&gt; If you were to re-raise =
all in=20
it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in <BR>&gt; addition to his =
$100).<BR>&gt;=20
x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I =
want to be=20
able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold) <BR>&gt; =
to show=20
me the break even point of this re-raise.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; When I =
re-raise all=20
in he is only left with two options so we need to <BR>&gt; account for =
both. He=20
can call or he can fold:<BR>&gt; 100% of the time he folds I will win=20
$250<BR>&gt; 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the =
amount I=20
<BR>&gt; re-raised all in with)<BR>&gt; 1/3 of the time I will hit my =
draw and=20
win $450 ($150 in the original <BR>&gt; pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call =
of my all=20
in re-raise)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; So, how can I create an excel =
workbook/calculation=20
that will calculate the % <BR>&gt; my opponent will need to fold for my =
all in=20
re-raise to break even?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks in advance for =
any help=20
with this.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Your example is very clear. I made the =
following=20
simple spreadsheet:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE style=3D"WIDTH: 573pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=3D0 =

cellPadding=3D0 width=3D764 border=3D0 x:str>
  <COLGROUP><FONT face=3DArial>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 222pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: =
5412"=20
  width=3D296>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 96pt" width=3D128>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 255pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: =
6217"=20
  width=3D340><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>
  <TBODY>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 222pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; =
BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    width=3D296 height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>DATA</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    width=3D128><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 255pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    width=3D340><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prob opponent folds =
=3D</FONT></TD>
    <TD class=3Dxl22=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>33%</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prob I make my =
draw=3D</FONT></TD>
    <TD class=3Dxl22=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>33%</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Amount in pot</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>250</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Amount of my =
re-raise</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>300</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>CALCULATIONS</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My gain from =
fold</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"82.5" x:fmla=3D"=3D+B2*B4"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>=3D+B2*B4</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My gain from =
draw-win</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"55.274999999999999" x:fmla=3D"=3D(1-B2)*B3*B4"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>=3D(1-B2)*B3*B4</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My loss from =
draw-lose</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"-134.67" x:fmla=3D"=3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5"><FONT face=3DArial =

      size=3D2>=3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My overall probable =
gain</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"3.1050000000000466" x:fmla=3D"=3DSUM(B8:B10)"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>=3DSUM(B8:B10)</FONT></TD>
[...]
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The stuff on the left headed DATA goes =
in column A,=20
and the stuff on the right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about =
with the=20
probability that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable =
gain=20
zero (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You really need to read up some simple =
probability=20
theory to understand this, but there are only two very simple concepts =
being=20
used:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First, you multiply the probability of =
an event by=20
its pay-off to get your&nbsp;'mathematical expectation'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Second, you multiply =
probabilities.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HTH</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0--

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 10:37:24 AM
GB,

Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to work
the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a 0
expected value (my break even point).

I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get it
to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
couldn't get it to work out correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
> situations.
>
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
> your opponent to fold.
>
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in
> the
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards
> that
> will give you the winning hand).
>
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
> fold)
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the
> %
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:

DATA
Prob opponent folds =33%
Prob I make my draw=33%
Amount in pot250
Amount of my re-raise300

CALCULATIONS
My gain from fold=+B2*B4
My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)

The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability that
opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
(break-even), or use the in-built solver function.

You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:

First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get your
'mathematical expectation'.
Second, you multiply probabilities.

HTH

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 3:28:36 PM
> GB,
>
> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a
> 0 expected value (my break even point).

Yes, that's what the solver function does.

> I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get it
> to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
> couldn't get it to work out correctly.

Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you. Can't
you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.

> [...]
>
> DATA
> Prob opponent folds =33%
> Prob I make my draw=33%
> Amount in pot250
> Amount of my re-raise300
>
> CALCULATIONS
> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>

> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>
> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>
> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get your

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 4:33:19 PM
I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function" and
how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?

And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to what
formula to put in my workbook.

I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on the
situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw, etc...) in
one area and then plug the formula using those cells in another, but I just
don't know what that formula should be in order to find the needed fold %
for a break even expectation.

I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not getting
it for some reason...SORRY.

> [...]
>>
>> DATA
>> Prob opponent folds =33%
>> Prob I make my draw=33%
>> Amount in pot250
>> Amount of my re-raise300
>>
>> CALCULATIONS
>> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
>> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
>> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
>> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>>

>> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
>> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
>> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
>> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>>
>> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
>> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>>
>> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 5:11:43 PM
> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>
> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
> what formula to put in my workbook.
>

> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>

> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not getting
> it for some reason...SORRY.

Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I gave
you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down into
smaller bits than to have one large formula.

I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play against
you please? ^.^

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> GB,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
>>> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show
>>> a 0 expected value (my break even point).
>>
>> Yes, that's what the solver function does.
>>

>>> I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get
>>> it to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
>>> couldn't get it to work out correctly.
>>
>> Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you.
>> Can't you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.
>>

>>> Thanks again for the help.
>>>

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:
>>>
>>> DATA
>>> Prob opponent folds =33%
>>> Prob I make my draw=33%
>>> Amount in pot250
>>> Amount of my re-raise300
>>>
>>> CALCULATIONS
>>> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
>>> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
>>> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
>>> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>>>

>>> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
>>> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
>>> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
>>> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>>>
>>> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
>>> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>>>
>>> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get
>>> your 'mathematical expectation'.
>>> Second, you multiply probabilities.
>>>
>>> HTH

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 6:07:12 PM
lol, my poker skills are just a tad bit better then my Excel skills so I am
more then up for the challenge :)

Which sites do you play on?

PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it doesn't
come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds 33% of the
time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for the break even
point will be about 1/6th.

PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get the
formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
>> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>>
>> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
>> what formula to put in my workbook.
>>

>> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
>> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
>> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
>> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
>> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>>

>> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not
>> getting it for some reason...SORRY.
>
> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I gave
> you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down into
> smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>
> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
> against you please? ^.^

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, that's what the solver function does.

>>> Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you.
>>> Can't you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 7:45:20 PM
Ok, think I got it to work. I changed the amount of my re-raise to $200 as
it's only a $200 raise of his $100 bet (and the $100 was already added into
the pot size of $250). Once I changed that the results are correct now.

So I'm only left with the question of how to use the "solver function" to
find the needed fold % for my play to break even (rather then having to
"play" around with the fold % to find the break even point)

"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> GB,
>>
>> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
>> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a
>> 0 expected value (my break even point).
>
> Yes, that's what the solver function does.
>

>>> DATA
> Prob opponent folds =33%
> Prob I make my draw=33%
> Amount in pot250
> Amount of my re-raise300
>
> CALCULATIONS
> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 8:46:00 PM

> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds 33%
> of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for the
> break even point will be about 1/6th.

Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount you
gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that your
opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)

You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your opponent
does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into cell B6, ie
the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from draw-win to
=(1-B2)*B3*B6

All this is doing is calculating:

(1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.

This is multiplied by
B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%

This is multiplied by
B6, which is the amount you gain if you win

If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.

> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?

The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by trial
and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be different in
different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:

On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
then click ok.

There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
use and does the job well enough.

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
>>> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>>>
>>> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
>>> what formula to put in my workbook.
>>>

>>> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
>>> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
>>> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
>>> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
>>> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>>>

>>> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not
>>> getting it for some reason...SORRY.
>>
>> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I
>> gave you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down
>> into smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>>
>> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
>> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
>> against you please? ^.^

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/8/2008 2:48:48 PM
Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:

Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
the data to run it.

Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.

Thanks again.

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
>> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds
>> 33% of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for
>> the break even point will be about 1/6th.
>
> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount you
> gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that your
> opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>
> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into
> cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
> draw-win to
> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>
> All this is doing is calculating:
>
> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
> chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
> not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>
> This is multiplied by
> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>
> This is multiplied by
> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>

> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.
>

>> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
>> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?
>
> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>
> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
> ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
> then click ok.
>
> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
> use and does the job well enough.

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I
>>> gave you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down
>>> into smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>>>
>>> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
>>> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
>>> against you please? ^.^

0
no (445)
5/8/2008 7:11:49 PM
> Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:
>
> Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
> able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
> the data to run it.
>
> Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
> get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.

Yes,  Excel has a very good macro recorder for this sort of thing.

Click on Tools ... Macro .... Record New Macro.  This comes up with a little
dialog box which you can mostly ignore. All you need to fill in is the box
which says "shortcut key ctrl+". Stick a j in there and click ok. A little
box appears with a blue button on the left hand side - ignore that for now.

Then just follow through the goal-seek procedure as normal. (Excel is
recording what you are doing.) When you have finished the goal seek
procedure, click on the little blue button in that small box to tell Excel
to stop recording.

That's it. You've recorded a macro that will do the goal seek procedure for
you automatically. To run it, hold down the ctrl key and hit j.

Don't forget to save the new version of your spreadsheet.

> Thanks again.
>

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
>>> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds
>>> 33% of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for
>>> the break even point will be about 1/6th.
>>
>> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount
>> you gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that
>> your opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>>
>> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
>> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into
>> cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
>> draw-win to
>> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>>
>> All this is doing is calculating:
>>
>> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
>> chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
>> not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>>
>> This is multiplied by
>> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>>
>> This is multiplied by
>> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>>

>> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.
>>

>>> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
>>> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?
>>
>> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
>> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
>> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
>> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>>
>> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
>> ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
>> then click ok.
>>
>> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
>> use and does the job well enough.

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/9/2008 8:32:24 AM
THANKS for all your help, GB !!!!!

Got it all working great now.

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:
>>
>> Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
>> able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
>> the data to run it.
>>
>> Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
>> get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.
>>

> Yes,  Excel has a very good macro recorder for this sort of thing.
>
> Click on Tools ... Macro .... Record New Macro.  This comes up with a
> little dialog box which you can mostly ignore. All you need to fill in is
> the box which says "shortcut key ctrl+". Stick a j in there and click ok.
> A little box appears with a blue button on the left hand side - ignore
> that for now.
>
> Then just follow through the goal-seek procedure as normal. (Excel is
> recording what you are doing.) When you have finished the goal seek
> procedure, click on the little blue button in that small box to tell Excel
> to stop recording.
>
> That's it. You've recorded a macro that will do the goal seek procedure
> for you automatically. To run it, hold down the ctrl key and hit j.
>
> Don't forget to save the new version of your spreadsheet.
>

>> Thanks again.
>>

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount
>>> you gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that
>>> your opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>>>
>>> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
>>> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount
>>> into cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
>>> draw-win to
>>> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>>>
>>> All this is doing is calculating:
>>>
>>> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains
>>> the chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he
>>> does not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>>>
>>> This is multiplied by
>>> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>>>
>>> This is multiplied by
>>> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>>>

>>> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.

>>> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
>>> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
>>> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
>>> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>>>
>>> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and
>>> press ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom
>>> one B2, then click ok.
>>>
>>> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler
>>> to use and does the job well enough.

0
no (445)
5/12/2008 8:38:33 PM
> THANKS for all your help, GB !!!!!
>
> Got it all working great now.

Great - pleased to hear it.

0
NOTsomeone (57)

Sumif() help #2
Gurus, I'm stuck with this formula. I have a spreadsheet with two tabs. On one is a list of Standard Window Types in different houses and the quantity of that type of window for that house. The Window type can be repeated many times with different quantities. On my second tab I have a list of all the unique windows listed only once. I want to know the frequency that a window is used in all these projects. I'm using =SUMIF(Quantity!$A$2:$A$1567,Usage!A2,Quantity!$B$2:$B$1567). The funny thing is I've got a total of 3,213 windows in these projects but the sum if returns a ...

Need help moving Outlook folder
I'm using Outlook 2002. My primary email account uses IMAP and I added it to Outlook using <Tools> <Email Accounts ...> <Add a new email account>. I noticed that Outlook created a file for this account in the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Outlook This file obviously contains the email that has been downloaded from my email account, since the file size grows and shrinks as mail is added or deleted. However, I would like to move this file from its default location to another hard drive. The reason is that the other ha...

Printing an Excel doucument

Help with design structure
i want to create a database for my makeup shop. I know i would have a table for all the products but i want to also track customers who buys what product so that i can always inform them of new itmes. i want to now if i need just one table or i need more than than. my table will have fields for prices and total amount. this will be and invetory for the shop that should show what we have as orders and what is Purchase orders. Hi Can I make a suggestion. If you go to the microft site you can download (free) databases that will just what you want. Much better than spending a...

help needed, pls, with trusted sources
Hi - Using Outlook 2000 and XP Home- When going to print dymo labels from Outlook, I keep getting the window: There is a program trying to access, etc.. allow Y, N, x minutes...' Is there a way to set this as a trusted source? The latest version of this software does not supply a COM add-in, as it's supposedly not needed.... but, I guess something is needed.... Thank you! -- B'rgds, Vinnie Uncle Vinnie, you wrote on Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:53:19 -0500: > When going to print dymo labels from Outlook, I keep getting the window: > There is a program trying to acce...

Newbie: How to Access Controls on a Dialog
I'm making my first stab at an MFC program. Basically a dialog box with some controls. I started out with basic edit boxes placed on the main dialog using the resource editor in VC++ (6.0). To set text, I have been using the SetDlgItemText(IDC_MYEDITBOX, "Sample Text"). Works fine. Now I working with Check Boxes. Okay, placed it using the dialog editor. Looked for some sort of equivalent to SetDlgItemText to check and uncheck the box using the control ID ("IDC_MYFIRSTCHECKBOX"). Nothing. Reading through Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC"...

Windows Update

excel axes

Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise?
Hi I am upgrading our server to Windows 2003 either Standard or Enterprise. I know that I want Exchange 2003 Enterprise because we have the Standard version at the moment and are about to hit the 16GB limit. Do I need Windows 2003 Enterprise for Exchange 2003 Enterprise? What will Windows 2003 Enterprise give me that Standard does not? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. No you don't. You would only need Windows 2003 Enterprise if you are planning on doing clustering. I'm sure there are some other things it will get you, but clustering capability is one of the big additions. -...

Excel program

Shift held too long key blocker on can't get it off
Can anyone help? Hi! I had this happen to me a while back. I can't remember what I had to do to fix it, though. This is an operating system setting. Maybe post in a Windows group. I did a quick search of Windows help and of course it was NO help! Biff "plumber1" <plumber1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BD9437D5-5BC5-4315-A4A5-0BB4F85E142C@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? > Maybe it was: windows start button|Control Panel|Accessibility Options|Keyboard tab Something to do with StickyKeys???? (But I don't know what key blocker is.)...

Need help to finish function....
Here is my function.... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($I$16,'[customers from caselle.xls]Sheet1'!$A$2:$G$710,5&6&7,FALSE)) I am trying to join text on a row in the 5th, 6th and 7th colums of workbook into 1 cell in another workbook, thus my guess of 5&6&7, which was a bad guess. Column 5 is the city, 6 is the state, and 7 is the zip code. I would like to pull it into one cell in the following format: city, state zip. What to I need to replace the 5&6&7 with to make this work? Thanks, Dan {5,6,7} Alan Beban Dan B wrote: > Here is my function.... > =IF(ISNA(V...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Need help on ouptput against range
Dear All. Please help on following problem I have 8 different range as stated below. Every range has some result Like 0 to 10 has Result A, 11 to 20 has B and so on.. Col A Col B ColC Start End Result 0 10 A 11 20 B 21 30 C 31 40 D 41 50 E 51 60 F 61 70 G 70 100 H Based on some input i want output based on result of above range. E.g. If my Input is 42 then output should be E or my input is 9 then putput should be A How can i make some formula in worksheet to get this type of output. Please help me on this urgently. Regards Anoop -- anoop ------------------------------...

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

double line spacing using excel 2000