I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
situations.

Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.

Explanation:
In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
your opponent to fold.

A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in the
hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards that
will give you the winning hand).

Example:
You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
addition to his $100).
x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot

I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold)
to show me the break even point of this re-raise.

When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
account for both. He can call or he can fold:
100% of the time he folds I will win $250
2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
re-raised all in with)
1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)

So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the %
my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 6:14:57 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

FISH wrote:
> I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
> situations.
>
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
> your opponent to fold.
>
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in the
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards that
> will give you the winning hand).
>
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold)
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the %
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
win 1/3 of the time = $450
lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)

Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.

0
birelan (531)

> It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
> win 1/3 of the time = $450
> lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>
> Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.

BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each and
every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure out how
often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make sense
(Break even).

So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half the
time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will fold about
1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise. Those are
extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know precisely how
often he will need to fold.

Thanks.

> FISH wrote:
>> I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
>> situations.
>>
>> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
>> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>>
>> Explanation:
>> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
>> your opponent to fold.
>>
>> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a
>> bet by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind
>> in the hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs"
>> (cards that will give you the winning hand).
>>
>> Example:
>> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
>> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
>> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
>> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
>> addition to his $100).
>> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>>
>> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
>> fold) to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>>
>> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
>> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
>> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
>> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
>> re-raised all in with)
>> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
>> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>>
>> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate
>> the % my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 6:38:32 PM
Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have.
At the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to
the point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will
lose $50 on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win
$250, to break even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.

He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.

1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%

FISH wrote:
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
>>win 1/3 of the time = $450
>>lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>>
>>Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.
>>

> BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each and
> every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure out how
> often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make sense
> (Break even).
>
> So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half the
> time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will fold about
> 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise. Those are
> extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know precisely how
> often he will need to fold.
>
> Thanks.
>

>>FISH wrote:
>>
>>>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
>>>situations.
>>>
>>>Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
>>>need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>>>
>>>Explanation:
>>>In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
>>>your opponent to fold.
>>>
>>>A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a
>>>bet by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind
>>>in the hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs"
>>>(cards that will give you the winning hand).
>>>
>>>Example:
>>>You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
>>>about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
>>>There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
>>>If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
>>>addition to his $100).
>>>x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>>>
>>>I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
>>>fold) to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>>>
>>>When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
>>>account for both. He can call or he can fold:
>>>100% of the time he folds I will win $250
>>>2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
>>>re-raised all in with)
>>>1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
>>>pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>>>
>>>So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate
>>>the % my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>>>

>>>Thanks in advance for any help with this.

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 7:21:31 PM
Thank you Bob,

Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
(in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more then
1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If not, a
raise would show a loss over the long run.

I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I can
quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all in.

> Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have. At
> the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
> point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose $50
> on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to break
> even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>
> He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>
> 1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%
>

> FISH wrote:
>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>It seems you have over simplified to the point of useless. example. You
>>>win 1/3 of the time = $450
>>>lose 2/3 of the time = $600 (2 times the 300 that you lose)
>>>
>>>Your strategy of an average of 3 hands = $150 in the hole.
>>>

>> BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each
>> and every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure
>> out how often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make
>> sense (Break even).
>>
>> So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half
>> the time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will
>> fold about 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise.
>> Those are extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know
>> precisely how often he will need to fold.
>>
>> Thanks.

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 7:58:29 PM
The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How
much you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).

FISH wrote:

> Thank you Bob,
>
> Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
> (in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more then
> 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If not, a
> raise would show a loss over the long run.
>

> I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I can
> quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all in.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have. At
>>the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
>>point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose $50
>>on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to break
>>even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>>
>>He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>>
>>1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%
>>

>>FISH wrote:
>>
>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>BUT the times he will fold could more then make up the difference. Each
>>>and every single time he folds I will win $250. So I'm looking to figure
>>>out how often he will need to fold before this re-raise all in will make
>>>sense (Break even).
>>>
>>>So in the original example (below) if I think my opponent will fold half
>>>the time, I will come out ahead, but if I only think my opponent will
>>>fold about 1 out of 10 times, I will show a loss by making this raise.
>>>Those are extremes so I'd like to be able to be more accurate and know
>>>precisely how often he will need to fold.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 8:34:38 PM
Sorry for the additional request for help, but...how to I enter this info
into an Excel workbook?

I'm looking for a workbook where I can enter in the given info (current pot
size, current bet, chance of winning with my hand, remaining stack size that
can be won or lost). Then find the correct fold % I will need from my
opponent.

> The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How much
> you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).
>
> FISH wrote:
>
>> Thank you Bob,
>>
>> Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
>> (in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more
>> then 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If
>> not, a raise would show a loss over the long run.
>>

>> I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I
>> can quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all
>> in.
>>

>> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Then you will need to determine the numbers a lot closer than you have.
>>>At the moment it is nothing but conjecture, you have simplified it to the
>>>point that it is useless. If you don't force him to fold you will lose
>>>$50 on average given the numbers you posed. If he folds you win $250, to
>>>break even you must force him to fold 1/6th of the time.
>>>
>>>He folds you win $250, he doesn't fold 5 times you lose $250.
>>>
>>>1 vs 5 equals 1 of 6 or approximately 17%

0
no (445)
5/6/2008 8:53:04 PM
You will need to build it yourself. We just called it buying the pot.

FISH wrote:

> Sorry for the additional request for help, but...how to I enter this info
> into an Excel workbook?
>

> I'm looking for a workbook where I can enter in the given info (current pot
> size, current bet, chance of winning with my hand, remaining stack size that
> can be won or lost). Then find the correct fold % I will need from my
> opponent.
>

> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>The "problem" is the money wagered. Percentage is equal to 100/)(How much
>>you win if he folds)/(average loss if he doesn't)+1).
>>
>>FISH wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you Bob,
>>>
>>>Yes 1/6th of the time is the correct % he will need to fold for this play
>>>(in this example) to break even. Therefore if I feel he will fold more
>>>then 1/6th of the time a raise will be "correct" over the long run. If
>>>not, a raise would show a loss over the long run.
>>>

>>>I'm just trying to figure out a calculation I can create in Excel so I
>>>can quickly find this "break even" fold % I need to profitably raise all
>>>in.
>>>

>>>"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
birelan (531)
5/6/2008 9:02:46 PM
Well, that was my original question. How to build this in Excel?

If I knew how to do it, I wouldn't of needed to come here and ask for help
:)

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message =
>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker=20
> situations.
>=20
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent =
will=20
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>=20
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR =
getting=20
> your opponent to fold.
>=20
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a =
bet=20
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind =
in the=20
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards =
that=20
> will give you the winning hand).
>=20
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning =
hand=20
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 =
in=20
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>=20
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to =
fold)=20
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>=20
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to=20
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I=20
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original=20
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>=20
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate =
the %=20
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>=20
>=20
> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:

      DATA  =20
      Prob opponent folds =3D 33% =20
      Prob I make my draw=3D 33% =20
      Amount in pot 250 =20
      Amount of my re-raise 300 =20
      =20
      CALCULATIONS  =20
      My gain from fold =3D+B2*B4 =20
      My gain from draw-win =3D(1-B2)*B3*B4 =20
      My loss from draw-lose =3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5 =20
      My overall probable gain =3DSUM(B8:B10) =20
      =20

The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the =
right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability =
that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero =
(break-even), or use the in-built solver function.

You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand =
this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:

First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get =
your 'mathematical expectation'.
Second, you multiply probabilities.

HTH=20
=20

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"FISH" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:no@spam.com"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>no@spam.com</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; wrote in message </FONT><A=20
href=3D"news:Ae1Uj.8724$iK6.8698@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>news:Ae1Uj.8724$iK6.8698@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com</FONT></A><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt;I want to create a Excel workbook =
that will=20
help in specific poker <BR>&gt; situations.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Short =
version: I=20
want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will <BR>&gt; need to =
fold=20
for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
Explanation:<BR>&gt; In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand =
at the=20
end OR getting <BR>&gt; your opponent to fold.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A common =

situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet =
<BR>&gt; by=20
your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in =
the=20
<BR>&gt; hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" =
(cards=20
that <BR>&gt; will give you the winning hand).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =
Example:<BR>&gt;=20
You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand =
<BR>&gt;=20
about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.<BR>&gt; There is =
$150 in the=20
pot and your opponent bets another $100.<BR>&gt; If you were to re-raise =
all in=20
it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in <BR>&gt; addition to his =
$100).<BR>&gt;=20
x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I =
want to be=20
able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to fold) <BR>&gt; =
to show=20
me the break even point of this re-raise.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; When I =
re-raise all=20
in he is only left with two options so we need to <BR>&gt; account for =
both. He=20
can call or he can fold:<BR>&gt; 100% of the time he folds I will win=20
$250<BR>&gt; 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the =
amount I=20
<BR>&gt; re-raised all in with)<BR>&gt; 1/3 of the time I will hit my =
draw and=20
win $450 ($150 in the original <BR>&gt; pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call =
of my all=20
in re-raise)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; So, how can I create an excel =
workbook/calculation=20
that will calculate the % <BR>&gt; my opponent will need to fold for my =
all in=20
re-raise to break even?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Thanks in advance for =
any help=20
with this.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Your example is very clear. I made the =
following=20
simple spreadsheet:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<TABLE style=3D"WIDTH: 573pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=3D0 =

cellPadding=3D0 width=3D764 border=3D0 x:str>
  <COLGROUP><FONT face=3DArial>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 222pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: =
5412"=20
  width=3D296>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 96pt" width=3D128>
  <COL style=3D"WIDTH: 255pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: =
6217"=20
  width=3D340><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>
  <TBODY>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 222pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; =
BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    width=3D296 height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>DATA</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    width=3D128><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; WIDTH: 255pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    width=3D340><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prob opponent folds =
=3D</FONT></TD>
    <TD class=3Dxl22=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>33%</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Prob I make my =
draw=3D</FONT></TD>
    <TD class=3Dxl22=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>33%</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Amount in pot</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>250</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Amount of my =
re-raise</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>300</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>CALCULATIONS</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My gain from =
fold</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"82.5" x:fmla=3D"=3D+B2*B4"><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>=3D+B2*B4</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My gain from =
draw-win</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"55.274999999999999" x:fmla=3D"=3D(1-B2)*B3*B4"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>=3D(1-B2)*B3*B4</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My loss from =
draw-lose</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"-134.67" x:fmla=3D"=3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5"><FONT face=3DArial =

      size=3D2>=3D-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><FONT=20
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR>
  <TR style=3D"HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=3D17>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: =
transparent"=20
    height=3D17><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My overall probable =
gain</FONT></TD>
    <TD=20
    style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: =
#d4d0c8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"=20
    x:num=3D"3.1050000000000466" x:fmla=3D"=3DSUM(B8:B10)"><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
      size=3D2>=3DSUM(B8:B10)</FONT></TD>
[...]
      face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The stuff on the left headed DATA goes =
in column A,=20
and the stuff on the right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about =
with the=20
probability that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable =
gain=20
zero (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You really need to read up some simple =
probability=20
theory to understand this, but there are only two very simple concepts =
being=20
used:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First, you multiply the probability of =
an event by=20
its pay-off to get your&nbsp;'mathematical expectation'.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Second, you multiply =
probabilities.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>HTH</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C8B036.B86098C0--

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 10:37:24 AM
GB,

Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to work
the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a 0
expected value (my break even point).

I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get it
to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
couldn't get it to work out correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I want to create a Excel workbook that will help in specific poker
> situations.
>
> Short version: I want to be able to calculate how often my opponent will
> need to fold for an all-in raise to show a positive expectation.
>
> Explanation:
> In poker you can win a hand by having the best hand at the end OR getting
> your opponent to fold.
>
> A common situation comes up where you have a "drawing hand" and face a bet
> by your opponent. In this situation you know you are currently behind in
> the
> hand, but have a chance to win if you catch some of your "outs" (cards
> that
> will give you the winning hand).
>
> Example:
> You have one of these drawing hands and it will become the winning hand
> about 1/3 of the time if you stay in until the end.
> There is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets another $100.
> If you were to re-raise all in it would be for a total of $300 ($200 in
> addition to his $100).
> x% of the time my opponent will fold in this spot
>
> I want to be able to solve for x (the amount my opponent will need to
> fold)
> to show me the break even point of this re-raise.
>
> When I re-raise all in he is only left with two options so we need to
> account for both. He can call or he can fold:
> 100% of the time he folds I will win $250
> 2/3 of the time he calls I miss my draw and lose $300 (the amount I
> re-raised all in with)
> 1/3 of the time I will hit my draw and win $450 ($150 in the original
> pot+his $100 bet+his $200 call of my all in re-raise)
>
> So, how can I create an excel workbook/calculation that will calculate the
> %
> my opponent will need to fold for my all in re-raise to break even?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:

DATA
Prob opponent folds =33%
Prob I make my draw=33%
Amount in pot250
Amount of my re-raise300

CALCULATIONS
My gain from fold=+B2*B4
My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)

The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability that
opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
(break-even), or use the in-built solver function.

You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:

First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get your
'mathematical expectation'.
Second, you multiply probabilities.

HTH

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 3:28:36 PM
> GB,
>
> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a
> 0 expected value (my break even point).

Yes, that's what the solver function does.

> I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get it
> to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
> couldn't get it to work out correctly.

Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you. Can't
you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.

> [...]
>
> DATA
> Prob opponent folds =33%
> Prob I make my draw=33%
> Amount in pot250
> Amount of my re-raise300
>
> CALCULATIONS
> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>

> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>
> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>
> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get your

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 4:33:19 PM
I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function" and
how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?

And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to what
formula to put in my workbook.

I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on the
situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw, etc...) in
one area and then plug the formula using those cells in another, but I just
don't know what that formula should be in order to find the needed fold %
for a break even expectation.

I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not getting
it for some reason...SORRY.

> [...]
>>
>> DATA
>> Prob opponent folds =33%
>> Prob I make my draw=33%
>> Amount in pot250
>> Amount of my re-raise300
>>
>> CALCULATIONS
>> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
>> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
>> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
>> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>>

>> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
>> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
>> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
>> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>>
>> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
>> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>>
>> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 5:11:43 PM
> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>
> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
> what formula to put in my workbook.
>

> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>

> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not getting
> it for some reason...SORRY.

Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I gave
you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down into
smaller bits than to have one large formula.

I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play against
you please? ^.^

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> GB,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
>>> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show
>>> a 0 expected value (my break even point).
>>
>> Yes, that's what the solver function does.
>>

>>> I also tried plugging in the calculation you provided, but couldn't get
>>> it to work. I pasted the data in the A column and the formulas in B, but
>>> couldn't get it to work out correctly.
>>
>> Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you.
>> Can't you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.
>>

>>> Thanks again for the help.
>>>

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Your example is very clear. I made the following simple spreadsheet:
>>>
>>> DATA
>>> Prob opponent folds =33%
>>> Prob I make my draw=33%
>>> Amount in pot250
>>> Amount of my re-raise300
>>>
>>> CALCULATIONS
>>> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
>>> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
>>> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
>>> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)
>>>

>>> The stuff on the left headed DATA goes in column A, and the stuff on the
>>> right goes in column B. You can just fiddle about with the probability
>>> that opponent folds percentage to make your overall probable gain zero
>>> (break-even), or use the in-built solver function.
>>>
>>> You really need to read up some simple probability theory to understand
>>> this, but there are only two very simple concepts being used:
>>>
>>> First, you multiply the probability of an event by its pay-off to get
>>> your 'mathematical expectation'.
>>> Second, you multiply probabilities.
>>>
>>> HTH

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/7/2008 6:07:12 PM
lol, my poker skills are just a tad bit better then my Excel skills so I am
more then up for the challenge :)

Which sites do you play on?

PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it doesn't
come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds 33% of the
time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for the break even
point will be about 1/6th.

PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get the
formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
>> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>>
>> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
>> what formula to put in my workbook.
>>

>> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
>> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
>> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
>> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
>> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>>

>> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not
>> getting it for some reason...SORRY.
>
> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I gave
> you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down into
> smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>
> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
> against you please? ^.^

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, that's what the solver function does.

>>> Shame. I have the spreadsheet here, but no means of getting it to you.
>>> Can't you just type the formulae in? That's what I did.

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 7:45:20 PM
Ok, think I got it to work. I changed the amount of my re-raise to $200 as
it's only a $200 raise of his $100 bet (and the $100 was already added into
the pot size of $250). Once I changed that the results are correct now.

So I'm only left with the question of how to use the "solver function" to
find the needed fold % for my play to break even (rather then having to
"play" around with the fold % to find the break even point)

"GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> GB,
>>
>> Thanks for the help, but I'm really trying to get the Excel workbook to
>> work the other way and calculate the break even fold% I'll need to show a
>> 0 expected value (my break even point).
>
> Yes, that's what the solver function does.
>

>>> DATA
> Prob opponent folds =33%
> Prob I make my draw=33%
> Amount in pot250
> Amount of my re-raise300
>
> CALCULATIONS
> My gain from fold=+B2*B4
> My gain from draw-win=(1-B2)*B3*B4
> My loss from draw-lose=-(1-B2)*(1-B3)*B5
> My overall probable gain=SUM(B8:B10)

0
no (445)
5/7/2008 8:46:00 PM

> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds 33%
> of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for the
> break even point will be about 1/6th.

Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount you
gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that your
opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)

You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your opponent
does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into cell B6, ie
the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from draw-win to
=(1-B2)*B3*B6

All this is doing is calculating:

(1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.

This is multiplied by
B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%

This is multiplied by
B6, which is the amount you gain if you win

If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.

> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?

The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by trial
and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be different in
different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:

On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
then click ok.

There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
use and does the job well enough.

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm not very good with Excel (obviously). What is the "solver function"
>>> and how can I use it to solve for the needed fold %?
>>>
>>> And yes, I could just plug the formula in, but I'm still confused as to
>>> what formula to put in my workbook.
>>>

>>> I know to add the necessary data (the data that will change depending on
>>> the situation such as pot size, raise amount, % I will make my draw,
>>> etc...) in one area and then plug the formula using those cells in
>>> another, but I just don't know what that formula should be in order to
>>> find the needed fold % for a break even expectation.
>>>

>>> I know this seems very basic to most of you guys, but I'm just not
>>> getting it for some reason...SORRY.
>>
>> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I
>> gave you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down
>> into smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>>
>> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
>> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
>> against you please? ^.^

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/8/2008 2:48:48 PM
Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:

Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
the data to run it.

Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.

Thanks again.

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
>> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds
>> 33% of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for
>> the break even point will be about 1/6th.
>
> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount you
> gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that your
> opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>
> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into
> cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
> draw-win to
> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>
> All this is doing is calculating:
>
> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
> chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
> not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>
> This is multiplied by
> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>
> This is multiplied by
> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>

> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.
>

>> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
>> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?
>
> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>
> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
> ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
> then click ok.
>
> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
> use and does the job well enough.

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Well I wish you luck. The formulae are all there in the spreadsheet I
>>> gave you. The way excel works, it is better to break the formulae down
>>> into smaller bits than to have one large formula.
>>>
>>> I would strongly recommend not playing poker for money until you have
>>> improved your maths skills, but if you insist on doing so can I play
>>> against you please? ^.^

0
no (445)
5/8/2008 7:11:49 PM
> Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:
>
> Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
> able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
> the data to run it.
>
> Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
> get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.

Yes,  Excel has a very good macro recorder for this sort of thing.

Click on Tools ... Macro .... Record New Macro.  This comes up with a little
dialog box which you can mostly ignore. All you need to fill in is the box
which says "shortcut key ctrl+". Stick a j in there and click ok. A little
box appears with a blue button on the left hand side - ignore that for now.

Then just follow through the goal-seek procedure as normal. (Excel is
recording what you are doing.) When you have finished the goal seek
procedure, click on the little blue button in that small box to tell Excel
to stop recording.

That's it. You've recorded a macro that will do the goal seek procedure for
you automatically. To run it, hold down the ctrl key and hit j.

Don't forget to save the new version of your spreadsheet.

> Thanks again.
>

> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> PS: I think I got your formula to work the way you set it up, but it
>>> doesn't come out with the right figures. It shows if my opponent folds
>>> 33% of the time it will be about break even, but the correct answer for
>>> the break even point will be about 1/6th.
>>
>> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount
>> you gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that
>> your opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>>
>> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
>> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount into
>> cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
>> draw-win to
>> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>>
>> All this is doing is calculating:
>>
>> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains the
>> chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he does
>> not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>>
>> This is multiplied by
>> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>>
>> This is multiplied by
>> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>>

>> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.
>>

>>> PSS: How can I use "solver function" to find the needed fold% once I get
>>> the formula to work correctly the way you have it set up?
>>
>> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
>> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
>> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
>> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>>
>> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and press
>> ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom one B2,
>> then click ok.
>>
>> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler to
>> use and does the job well enough.

>>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
NOTsomeone (57)
5/9/2008 8:32:24 AM
THANKS for all your help, GB !!!!!

Got it all working great now.

> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks a bunch GB. one last question:
>>
>> Can I have the "goal seeker" run to find the fold % automatically? I was
>> able to get it to work, but only when I opened it and manually entered in
>> the data to run it.
>>
>> Time will be an issue when I need to figure all this out so I'm trying to
>> get it to where I can find the needed fold % ASAP.
>>

> Yes,  Excel has a very good macro recorder for this sort of thing.
>
> Click on Tools ... Macro .... Record New Macro.  This comes up with a
> little dialog box which you can mostly ignore. All you need to fill in is
> the box which says "shortcut key ctrl+". Stick a j in there and click ok.
> A little box appears with a blue button on the left hand side - ignore
> that for now.
>
> Then just follow through the goal-seek procedure as normal. (Excel is
> recording what you are doing.) When you have finished the goal seek
> procedure, click on the little blue button in that small box to tell Excel
> to stop recording.
>
> That's it. You've recorded a macro that will do the goal seek procedure
> for you automatically. To run it, hold down the ctrl key and hit j.
>
> Don't forget to save the new version of your spreadsheet.
>

>> Thanks again.
>>

>> "GB" <NOTsomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

>>> Sorry. I did not read your example carefully enough. I took the amount
>>> you gained if you win the draw as the amount in the pot. I forgot that
>>> your opponent has to see you. (I think you would trounce me at poker.)
>>>
>>> You need an extra item of data, which is the amount you win if your
>>> opponent does not fold but you win the draw. Say you put that amount
>>> into cell B6, ie the $450 figure. Then change the formula for gain from
>>> draw-win to
>>> =(1-B2)*B3*B6
>>>
>>> All this is doing is calculating:
>>>
>>> (1-B2) , which is the chance your opponent does not fold. B2 contains
>>> the chance that your opponent folds. Say this is 17%, then the chance he
>>> does not fold is 100% -17% = 83%.  100% is the same as 1.
>>>
>>> This is multiplied by
>>> B3 , which is the chance that you win the draw, ie 33%
>>>
>>> This is multiplied by
>>> B6, which is the amount you gain if you win
>>>

>>> If you do that, the fold %age works out to be just over17%, as you say.

>>> The way to find the 17% figure is just to change the fold% figure in B2
>>> until the overall gain (B12) is zero. You can do that easily enough by
>>> trial and error. The solver tool does it for you. The tool may be
>>> different in different versions of Excel. This is for Excel 2003:
>>>
>>> On the Tools menu, click Goal Seek ... just fill in the 3 boxes and
>>> press ok. The top box should say B12, the middle one 0, and the bottom
>>> one B2, then click ok.
>>>
>>> There is a solver tool on the tools menu too, but goal seek is simpler
>>> to use and does the job well enough.

0
no (445)
5/12/2008 8:38:33 PM
> THANKS for all your help, GB !!!!!
>
> Got it all working great now.

Great - pleased to hear it.

0
NOTsomeone (57)

cube analysis add -in for excel and local cube
Hi Can we connect a local cube(.cub) file through the cube analysis add-in of excel? I got the error "Data source contains no visible tables" I have installed ptslite.exe and sql server 2005's analysis services ole db .msi and msxml6.msi. What else should i do? ...

excel start up #2
i have a working rota spreadsheet with dates in the columns and rota info below, how do i get it to show todays date info at start up With this file open and visible in the main Excel window, right-click on the little Excel file icon to the left of the File menu (assumes you are using xl2003) and choose View Code. Paste the following into the code area of the VBE that will open up: Private Sub Workbook_Open() Dim lngRow As Long With Sheets("Sheet1") ' amend sheet name as appropriate lngRow = Application.Match(CLng(Date), .Range("A:A")) 'amend column as ap...

Excel error message #6
I have Office 2000 on my laptop with Windows XP. When I start, and again when I exit, Excel, I get an error message: "Microsoft Visual Basic Compile error in hidden module TBrun9" How do I correct this? David Look here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272066 In article <1340701c3f712$da6bdd80$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "David" <macconsulting@prodigy.net> wrote: > I have Office 2000 on my laptop with Windows XP. > When I start, and again when I exit, Excel, I get an error > message: > "Microsoft Visual Basic > Compil...

Need help #8
Cannot find outlook on my new Vista 64 computer, can you help? Sincerley Rudy -- Rudy Ramirez 702 353-4141 Fax 702 450-0580 RealEstate.com 10100 W. Charleston Blvd, Suite 170 LV,NV 89135 mailto:rudylv1@cox.net RUDY RAMIREZ, you wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:27:30 -0700: > Cannot find outlook on my new Vista 64 computer, can you help? Outlook doesn't come with Windows. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office that you need to buy if you want to use it. But you can download and install a trial version of any Office Version you want, but not Outlook standalone. http://us20.trymicro...

Reverse DNS help
Thanks in advance for any help! Our outgoing emails are occassionally boucing because we don't have reverse DNS set up. We have gateway server that sits outside of our email server. So stuff coming in hits interscan.domain.com before it's passed onto cliff.domain.com. Same for outgoing...messages leave cliff.domain.com before they hit interscan.domain.com and are then sent. So my question, should the reverse DNS point back to the gateway server (interscan.domain.com) or the email server (cliff.domain.com)? Hi .. Which server physically connects to the remote server (sending...

HELP files not showing

Help, 52 Worksheets
I created a spreadsheet and made 51 more copies of it. The first work sheet has Report # 1, now i want to change the report number by 1 on each spreadsheet, Report 2, Report 3, etc. Is there a simple formula I can use so i dont have to change all 52 spreadsheets individually? You have a cell on each sheet that you want Report 1, 2, 3 etc. incremented across sheets? Sub Number_Increment() Dim myword As String Dim iCtr As Long myword = "Report " For iCtr = 1 To Worksheets.Count With Worksheets(iCtr).Range("A1") .Value = myword & iCtr ...

Excel 2007
Original post: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/23fa6398a8747c97/b01098814db13a95?lnk=gst&q=excel+2007+cut+off&safe=images# I'm having this exact same issue!! It's been driving me insane and the IT Help Desk people at my work are useless. Does anyone know anything about this??? I ended up figuring out that it only occurs when you change the font size of the text. Anything below or above the default 11, and it doesn't matter which font (I have tried default Calibri, Verdana, Arial and a few others). I have not tried chang...

Help with generics
Someone please help me. I am trying to create a generic validation method that simply checks to ensure the type has a value. Here is the method that calls the validation method: public void CheckParameterTest(string someString, List<SqlParameter> sqlParams, List<Customers> customers) { ValidateParams(sqlParams); } Here is the generic validation method. I just want to check that the List<whatever>.Count property is not zero. I can't seem to get the count of the list. Please help private void ValidateParams<T>(T param) { Type typ...

Form help
I am creating a database to track invoices recieved and apply them to specific assets. My question is on my invoice input page I have a check box to split the invoice between two or more assests. How can I bring up a pop up window asking which assests to apply the split invoice to ? Also create the according records for each assest that the invoice was split for. Could someone give me some idea as how to do this? My Access skills are a little rusty. Thank you, Mark ...

Help! Chart losing date format
Help! Excel Charts losing formats I am using Excel 2000 SP-3 on a Windows 2000 machine and have bee having some strange problems. I have 4 charts that are in a singl workbook along with the source data for them. After the workbook ha been updated and the charts are correct, I am copying the charts to brand new workbook by right clicking the worksheet tab and selectin copy option. I am only copying the chart to the new workbook, not th data. Two of the charts copy fine but the other two charts are changin from having a gray background to an orange background. I am currentl manually having to ...

need to solve 4th grade equation
i need to solve a fourth grade equation like A+Bx+Cx^2+Dx^3+Ex^4=0 using excel, where A,B,C,D,E are known and stored in excel cells (both real and imaginary solutions, preferrable!) how could i do? thanks! ******************** Visita il mio sito www.alchemystudio.it ************ not an aswer to your question, but here is another option if you've M XP: 'the Power Calculator (http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/PowerCalcPowertoySetup.exe . it's nice, and you can set up algebraic -fx-'s w/ it. -zac -- Message posted from http://www.Excel...

Excel Queries using Access data
Im trying to create a query from within Excel. When I select new database query and select a database which has no securtiy login/password, no problem, works fine. However, when I try to source the data from a database which I have created using user logins/passwords it says that I do not have admin privilages to use the database even though I am putting in the correct login/username in the popup window? Please can anyone help? I've had limited experience with this sort of thing but I've always had to strip out the protection on the Access Database and create a copy before suc...

Problem with "Search box" in Help window
We are using Excel 2003 on XP. This problem is occuring for all users. When you click Help-Microsoft Excel Help, and try to type in the Search for: box under Assistance, the text is inserted into the spreadsheet instead. The only way you can manage to enter any text into this box is to copy it, then right-click paste it into that box (Edit-Paste and Ctrl+V do not work) I can't find anything in the kbase (except for the tip about pasting). What is up with this? ...

Right Triangle math
I'm new to excel and would like to make a little calculator for aviatio purposes. I want to help some noobs decide where to set up th instrument along the glidepath on a runway. the instrument must alig w/ the glidepath. in this case A1 is the Glidepath angle (tangent) and B1 is the opposit (height of the instrument) its simple right triangle math . .but i don' know how to do it in excel A = B1 --------- tan A1 Any help would be greatly appreciated -- RKAMA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RKAMAN's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/m...

I need OWA to ask for username and password
Hi, When I go to http://myserver/exchange, it appears OWA and I can see my e-mail without asking me my user and password. But I would like OWA to ask my user name and password, how can I do this? -- Thank you, M.G. Have you already authed to the page once (ie the username and password are stored in your client). or have you used the username and password for access to the client? Try to logon using a local account to the computer and then logon to OWA. (Tips: Activate form-based logon) "M.G." wrote: > Hi, > > When I go to http://myserver/exchange, it appears...

Need to expand past column IV
Hi, Were using Excel 2003 and ran into the end of colums at IV. Besides upgrading to Office 2007 is there way to extend or add-in more columns. Thanks, BobV Bob, No, but using all 256 columns is often a sign that you should use database data style entry - instead of having a column for each of the ?days(?) enter the column property as a field, with each entry in a separate row. Beyond that, it is hard to be more specific since your question is vague. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Vinecom" <vinecom@nospam.net> wrote in message news:8CBC158A-0AE4-46D6-9EB3-4CCDA375CCA9@mi...

How to Add Custom Attribute to N to N Relational Entity
Hi, we have inquiry entity that is relation to account and contact with n to n relation. ,Crm create a new relational table like inquiry_account and inquiry_contact automatically so How to Add Custom Attribute to inquiry_account and inquiry_contact Also, I need to update this custom attribute record when contact or account accept to inquiry On Jun 26, 12:43=A0am, MehmetCelik <mceli...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > we have inquiry entity that is relation to account and contact with n > to n relation. > ,Crm create a new relational table like inquiry_account and > inquiry_cont...

STMP ERROR HELP
Hi, I set up a bt wireless network, I use BT as my email provider but my partner uses dircon. I am trying to get the dircon email to go through outlook xp on our notebook. I had this set up a couple of years ago but recently formatted and reinstalled the software on the notebook but can't remember how I did it. It's receiving email but will not send. I've tried setting up the STMP address as BT's and Dircon's but neither work. Any suggestions? Cheers, Alex are you authenticating with the outgoing mail server? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yo...

Help needed arranging data for a pivot table
I have a very large table in excel that I need to create a pivot tabl for, but can't seem to arrange the data correctly. Here's what th table looks like: There are about 20 "type" columns across the top and down the side are dates. For each day each of the columns ha about 20 prices. So a big block of mostly price data is added eac day. Do I have to have all of the prices in one column if I want t view different "types" side by side in a pivot table? If so, I woul have many many times the 65,000 rows that excel allows. This als seems ridiculously redundant. ...

Excel Formulas Not Updating
For some reason when I create a new sheet, my formulas do not get updated when I change the value of a cell that si used to calculate the formula (I have to double click on the formula and then I get the right value). This problem does not occur when I make changes to files that I get from other people Try Tools / Options / Calculation / Change to Automatic if on Manual Excel takes it's calculation status from that of the first file opened after launching Excel. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02...

How do I link data from two different excell files?
I have two excell spreadsheets that need to be matched up and merge a certain field. Is there a statement that wou vlookup HTH, -- Gary Brown gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com "twinclstar" wrote: > I have two excell spreadsheets that need to be matched up and merge a certain > field. Is there a statement that wou ...

Searching multiple excel documents
When searching for P.O. numbers in windows 2000 basic search command I enter the *.xls in the files or folders field, and i enter the P.O. number in the Containing text field but no xls documents show up. i've selected to search through all subdirectories and am positive the P.O. number is in a xls document, as i've cut and pasted it to test this. I've tried doing alpha numeric searches that are withing xls documents and this returns nothing aswell. doing a pure text search in all documents does return positive, so my search funtion does work for containting text. does wind...

Excel Formatting to look like Project
I was raised on Primavera Teamplay so project is somewhat new to me. I need to get updates on schedules from people designated as "project leads", I have listed these people in the "contact" column in Project. I can sort by that column than copy/paste to Excel....easy enough My problem is I would ideally like that "wbs structure" or I guess in project the "summary" task to remain formatted like it looks in project ... the indentions, bolding, etc. In Primavera this was fairly easy to do, by creating a report to export data to an ASCI file then import...

Excel 2007
The dynamic names I used to utilize in Excel 2003 to define the data range for charts in my worksheets don't work anymore, because excel modifies them upon saving the file : Filename.xls!DynamicNamedRange gets changed to [0]!DynamicNamedRange for all the chart series using this syntax. Is there another syntax I can use ? Any workaround ? If the data is in a Table (new XL2007 feature); the chart is automatically dynamic best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jcollot" <jcollot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...