EXCEL Files open Slow

Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and 
..docx)
that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I have
Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?

Thanks. 

0
taco (5)
10/21/2008 12:47:29 AM
excel 39880 articles. 2 followers. Follow

8 Replies
543 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

Hi,

If I get your point - when you open the files in the Window Explorer 
(outside of Excel) it takes longer.  Sometimes that if because Excel needs to 
launch, and that can be slower than just opening a file from inside of Excel.

Things also tend to be slower in Vista and 2007 although that is not 
relavant to the question you asked.

-- 
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire


"gjb" wrote:

> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and 
> ..docx)
> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I have
> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
> 
> Thanks. 
> 
> 
0
10/21/2008 1:36:02 AM
If I click on an EXCEL file (example...test.xlsx)....it does NOT come up 
immediatley....there is a delay ..but if Excel is open, and I click on the 
SAME file...it opens immediatley.



"ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:6A3FF18F-CFF2-4140-B78D-FE6732E7FB6C@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> If I get your point - when you open the files in the Window Explorer
> (outside of Excel) it takes longer.  Sometimes that if because Excel needs 
> to
> launch, and that can be slower than just opening a file from inside of 
> Excel.
>
> Things also tend to be slower in Vista and 2007 although that is not
> relavant to the question you asked.
>
> -- 
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>
>
> "gjb" wrote:
>
>> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and
>> ..docx)
>> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
>> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I 
>> have
>> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
>> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> 

0
taco (5)
10/21/2008 3:20:47 AM
Hi,

Again, if Excel is not open it will always be slower because you are opening 
Excel first and Excel is a big program.  
-- 
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire


"gjb" wrote:

> If I click on an EXCEL file (example...test.xlsx)....it does NOT come up 
> immediatley....there is a delay ..but if Excel is open, and I click on the 
> SAME file...it opens immediatley.
> 
> 
> 
> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message news:6A3FF18F-CFF2-4140-B78D-FE6732E7FB6C@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I get your point - when you open the files in the Window Explorer
> > (outside of Excel) it takes longer.  Sometimes that if because Excel needs 
> > to
> > launch, and that can be slower than just opening a file from inside of 
> > Excel.
> >
> > Things also tend to be slower in Vista and 2007 although that is not
> > relavant to the question you asked.
> >
> > -- 
> > Thanks,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >
> >
> > "gjb" wrote:
> >
> >> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and
> >> ..docx)
> >> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
> >> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I 
> >> have
> >> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
> >> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
0
10/21/2008 5:07:00 AM
Ok, but then why to you say that "sometimes" this is the case ?




"ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:A379B789-7C2A-45D6-86D5-58871632E7AC@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Again, if Excel is not open it will always be slower because you are 
> opening
> Excel first and Excel is a big program.
> -- 
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>
>
> "gjb" wrote:
>
>> If I click on an EXCEL file (example...test.xlsx)....it does NOT come up
>> immediatley....there is a delay ..but if Excel is open, and I click on 
>> the
>> SAME file...it opens immediatley.
>>
>>
>>
>> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:6A3FF18F-CFF2-4140-B78D-FE6732E7FB6C@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > If I get your point - when you open the files in the Window Explorer
>> > (outside of Excel) it takes longer.  Sometimes that if because Excel 
>> > needs
>> > to
>> > launch, and that can be slower than just opening a file from inside of
>> > Excel.
>> >
>> > Things also tend to be slower in Vista and 2007 although that is not
>> > relavant to the question you asked.
>> >
>> > -- 
>> > Thanks,
>> > Shane Devenshire
>> >
>> >
>> > "gjb" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and
>> >> ..docx)
>> >> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or 
>> >> Word
>> >> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I
>> >> have
>> >> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs 
>> >> of
>> >> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks.
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> 

0
taco (5)
10/21/2008 11:57:46 AM
Enable one of the Excel Add-ins. Solver will do.

gjb wrote:

> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and 
> .docx)
> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I have
> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
> 
> Thanks.

0
birelan (531)
10/21/2008 12:28:40 PM
Also, the Excel association files open a lot quicker on my other computer 
that isn't as fast, doesn't have as much memory, and is running VISTA 
BASIC......I've got to believe something is not right here......





"gjb" <taco@iag.net> wrote in message 
news:t5WdnQvXNr5sXmDVnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@earthlink.com...
> Ok, but then why to you say that "sometimes" this is the case ?
>
>
>
>
> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
> message news:A379B789-7C2A-45D6-86D5-58871632E7AC@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Again, if Excel is not open it will always be slower because you are 
>> opening
>> Excel first and Excel is a big program.
>> -- 
>> Thanks,
>> Shane Devenshire
>>
>>
>> "gjb" wrote:
>>
>>> If I click on an EXCEL file (example...test.xlsx)....it does NOT come up
>>> immediatley....there is a delay ..but if Excel is open, and I click on 
>>> the
>>> SAME file...it opens immediatley.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "ShaneDevenshire" <ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:6A3FF18F-CFF2-4140-B78D-FE6732E7FB6C@microsoft.com...
>>> > Hi,
>>> >
>>> > If I get your point - when you open the files in the Window Explorer
>>> > (outside of Excel) it takes longer.  Sometimes that if because Excel 
>>> > needs
>>> > to
>>> > launch, and that can be slower than just opening a file from inside of
>>> > Excel.
>>> >
>>> > Things also tend to be slower in Vista and 2007 although that is not
>>> > relavant to the question you asked.
>>> >
>>> > -- 
>>> > Thanks,
>>> > Shane Devenshire
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > "gjb" wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx 
>>> >> and
>>> >> ..docx)
>>> >> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or 
>>> >> Word
>>> >> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I
>>> >> have
>>> >> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four 
>>> >> gigs of
>>> >> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
>>> >>
>>> >> Thanks.
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>>
>>>
> 

0
taco (5)
10/21/2008 12:30:44 PM
Thanks, Bob.....That DID IT !!!!!!





"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
news:e1liNi3MJHA.4724@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Enable one of the Excel Add-ins. Solver will do.
>
> gjb wrote:
>
>> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx and 
>> .docx)
>> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or Word
>> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I 
>> have
>> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four gigs of
>> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
>>
>> Thanks.
> 

0
taco (5)
10/21/2008 6:09:33 PM
You're welcome, have a great day!

gjb wrote:
> Thanks, Bob.....That DID IT !!!!!!
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:e1liNi3MJHA.4724@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> 
>> Enable one of the Excel Add-ins. Solver will do.
>>
>> gjb wrote:
>>
>>> Why is it that when I open associated files for Office 2007 (.xlsx 
>>> and .docx)
>>> that they open SLOW (approx 15 seconds). However, if I have Excel or 
>>> Word
>>> open and then attempt to open specific files, they open in a snap ? I 
>>> have
>>> Office 2007, Vista Home Prsmium, a 2.4 Quad Core system, and four 
>>> gigs of
>>> ram. Can someone please explain this and help me out ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>
> 

0
birelan (531)
10/21/2008 7:36:57 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Filter to select from various fields on opening a form
I have a form called TDC and want to filter data in the following fields on opening the form: DiaryAction (text field); DiaryCategory (text field); DiarySubCategory (text field); Company (text field); ContactType (text field); DiaryItemClosed (a Yes/No field). At the same time, I want the option not to select anything in each of these fields. Please could somebody give me the steps to do this. I am doing this in Access 2007, but am creating it as an Access 2003 database. Thank you for any help. I meant to say that I want this from dropdown boxes, but forgot to say becau...

How do I create project schedule using excel
I need to create a project schedule using excel. Please help. Hi lack of details :-) Maybe give some more information what you're trying to do? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany raeisza wrote: > I need to create a project schedule using excel. Please help. ...

CRM 1.2 Too Slow to be usuable
This application is just to slow to be usable in a production environment. If a user has not done a query recently, it takes 2-3 minutes to bring up data. This makes it useless, for all intents and purposes, live while on the phone. Do you have any third party tools added to CRM? "John" wrote: > This application is just to slow to be usable in a production environment. > > If a user has not done a query recently, it takes 2-3 minutes to bring up > data. > This makes it useless, for all intents and purposes, live while on the phone. > Nope. This is an out-o...

Printing an Excel doucument
In this example, I have a document of 100 pages, when I print the document, the column headers only print on the first page and not the subsequent pages. also I would like all the pages to be numbered. is therea fix for this? Hi Richard, For your first question goto File>Page Setup>Sheet tab and look for the option 'Rows to repeat at top' For your second question goto View>Header and Footer and look at the &[page] and &[pages] options in your footer. HTH Martin ...

my printer ejects a blank sheet prior to printing with EXCEL
...

Excel: extract and sum numerals from mixed text/numeral cell range
I have a large (30x20) grid of cells with data, and I want to extract and then sum up certain numerals from this entire range. The catch is that the data is mixed numerals and text, as you'll see below. Here's an abbreviated 3x3 example, with a value in each of the nine cells: V7.1 T H P1 A T B V3 P4.5 If I just wanted to sum up the instances of "T" appearing, I could use COUNTIF() for the entire range to come up with answer ("T" appears 2 times). Easy enough. But, what I'm trying to accomplish is to sum up the numerals associated w...

Error in formula displayed for linear and 2nd order curve fits in Excel 2003
I have created trendlines for some pretty simple data using both 2nd order polynomial and linear fits. In both cases, the displayed formulas have their 1st and 2nd order coefficients wrong by a factor of 10!! (I have read lots of posts about increasing precision but this is not what I am up against). Has anyone seen this? What version of Excel? Could you include the data in a follow up post (not as an attachment), along with the coefficients you've computed? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierT...

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

Error opening form
Hi, I am trying to open a form from a switchboard and I get this error message: "MSACCESS exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I restart the computer and it's fixed. but it keeps happening. Does anyone know the solution? I have Microsoft Office 2000 thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 There are many, many things that could be causing this. Work through the list in this article: Preventing corruption ...

Windows Update
My problem is similar to someone else's below(about Excel 2003 not being able to update), the only difference is that I don't want Excel to update at all. I don't even use it. But the yellow shield kept telling me that it had 1 update available, which was Excel 2003, so, out of annoyance, I installed it. After failing to install several times, I decided to uninstall Excel from Microsoft Office(Pro Edition 2003). Even after uninstalling Excel, I still got the windows update alert. How do I stop it? Extra info: When windows update first appeared, I did a custom instal...

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

excel axes
how do I create a secondary horizontal axis on an xy scatter plot? forgot to mention 2008 excel using Leopard (10.5.2) ...

total size of files
I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these servers. Thanks On Nov 18, 10:19=A0am, Tom1 <usernetu...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based > upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb > files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these > servers. Thanks <warning> <aircode> with ...

Excel program
I have a simple program in excel for data entry. When I protect the sheet, and use tab to move about within the spreadsheet, sometimes the tab button will not move the cursor to the next cell. It will pick a random cell to go to next. Is there a way that I can designate what cell it will go to next. Thanks for your help, jb On a protected sheet, it is going to the next unprotected cell. So, if you don't want it to go to a cell, protect it. "JB" <jgblanton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:093a01c391d0$ae57f190$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have a simple program in exce...

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel
I downloaded the 2007 trial version of Microsoft Office. Now my trial is over and I reloaded my 2003 version. But it will not let me remove the 2007 trial version. Also when I go into my 2003 Excel a Window Installer box comes up that says Preparing to install and this stays on for about 5 minutes before it goes away. I know that I should not have downloaded the trial version but I did. Can someone please help me. I have Windows XP and it is my office computer. Please help! ...

Error Message When opening Excel
I am using Windows VISTA 64 bit O/S with Office Professional 2003 All of a sudden I started to get the following error message: 'One of your object libraries (Stdole32.tlb) is missing or damaged. Please run setup to install it' I am at a loss as how to correct this. I checked online and found some instructions that were for Windows 2000 Those did not work for VISTA at all. Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions, HankL It is telling you to do a "setup to install" on the Office product, did you try that? Did you try doing a repair on ...

MFC: Excel Automation Can't Quit from Excel. Please help...
Hi I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I am automating Excel from my application. My problem is I cannot quit the Excel after the automation process finished! I checked it still exists on the Process lists and the most DANGEROUS is everytime the automation function run, it create other Excel and so on. So it must be out of memory soon. I have used the app.Quit() method like all the people used but it DOES NOT work. What should I do? Thank you. I happened to answer this on the office.developer.vba newsgroup. You most likely have neglected to Release() the automation object. joe On Wed, 3 Sep...

Excel number / date conversion
I've just pulled some data out of an ODBC connection into Access an then exported it to Excel. The dates are currently in the format 20031109. But the built in dat convertor (from Format Cells) doesn't do anything, even if I convert i to a 'proper' number first. How can I convert this to 09/11/2003 so that I can do some date - base arithmetic and work out difference in days -- markperr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- markperry's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2759 View this thread: http://w...

Excel charts should allow "switching" series on or off
A plot (chart) of time series data may be used for many purposes. From my use two reasons I use such plots are: Studying individual time series trends; and Overall impression of all results. But when studying multiple time series data a chart can become cluttered. It would be useful if individual series could be seleceted as visible or invisible so that they could be evaluated without losing the total plot. At the moment the only way to "unclutter" the plot is to remove the temporaily-unwanted series but it can be time consuming to reconstruct the plot. ---------------- Thi...

Email from Excel #3
Is it possible to have Excel send an email if the value of a certain cell is changed? Hi see your post in public.excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:CcSdndsVDJy4jcjcRVn-pQ@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to have Excel send an email if the value of a certain cell is > changed? > > ...

version excel
bonjour a tous, & a tous les pro bien sur es qu'il est possible ,que des l'instant on modifie le code VBA EXCEL on incremente un compteur pour les mise a jour cela me semble plus simple merci pour vos reponse patrick.villa@laposte.net +++++ http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- --- HTH Bob (change the xxxx to gmail if mailing direct) "pounet" <patrick.villa@laposte.net> wrote in message news:1165418782.552172.169740@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > bonjour a tous, & a tous les pro bien sur > > es qu'il est possible ,qu...

Publisher 2007 crashes when trying to open website created with 20
One of my websites works with 2007 because it was named index.html within its file but the other doesn't that was named by its name.pub, I tried to rename it index.html but it didn't work, its icon became one of IE instead of Publisher like my first website. I ran office diagnostics and no error was found. Any help much appreciated. ...

outlook .dbx files
I have old .dbx files/folders with as much as 654,000K in them. Are these old emails and if so, how can I access them to see what they contain? ...

double line spacing using excel 2000
I have a paragraph of writing, how do i get the text to be double line spaced? I am using excel 2000. Excel doesn't have a line spacing setting. You could add line breaks by pressing Alt+Enter at the end of a line, then another Alt+Enter to create a blank line. Dan wrote: > I have a paragraph of writing, how do i get the text to be double line > spaced? I am using excel 2000. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Does this aply to newer versions of excel? "Debra Dalgleish" wrote: > Excel doesn't have a...

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...