Excel 2007 with Vista SP2 - Excel does not open file when double c

Hi,

I am running Microsoft Vista SP2 with Excel 2007. I used to be able to
double click an xls or xlsx file in my "Windows explorer", or
Microsoft Outlook attachement and the file would open with Excel. This
function does not work anymore. I get an error :-

 "Windows cannot find file ... Make sure you typed the name correctly
and then try again.?"

I can open the file if I start Excel, and the use the "Open File"
option.

Any suggestions as to why it should behave this way are appreciated. I
did try re-installing, but the behaviour has not changed.

--
Andrew Rycroft
0

The following is taken from my Evernote database (I wish I had recorded the
author)
----------------
Excel will not open when a file is clicked
Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking
on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.
------
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am running Microsoft Vista SP2 with Excel 2007. I used to be able to
> double click an xls or xlsx file in my "Windows explorer", or
> Microsoft Outlook attachement and the file would open with Excel. This
> function does not work anymore. I get an error :-
>
> "Windows cannot find file ... Make sure you typed the name correctly
> and then try again.?"
>
> I can open the file if I start Excel, and the use the "Open File"
> option.
>
> Any suggestions as to why it should behave this way are appreciated. I
> did try re-installing, but the behaviour has not changed.
>
> --
> Andrew Rycroft

0
bliengme (657)
7/27/2009 1:48:05 PM
Hi,

I cannot find this option in Windows explorer -

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

Do I have to Dril down further?

I tried the unreg/reg but this did not work.

Thanks
--
Andrew Rycroft

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> The following is taken from my Evernote database (I wish I had recorded the
> author)
> ----------------
> Excel will not open when a file is clicked
> Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking
> on
> the file in windows explorer:
>
> Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
>
> --- or ---
>
> Close Excel and
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /unregserver
> then
> Windows Start Button|Run
> excel /regserver
>
> The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
> factory defaults.
> ------
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running Microsoft Vista SP2 with Excel 2007. I used to be able to
> > double click an xls or xlsx file in my "Windows explorer", or
> > Microsoft Outlook attachement and the file would open with Excel. This
> > function does not work anymore. I get an error :-
> >
> > "Windows cannot find file ... Make sure you typed the name correctly
> > and then try again.?"
> >
> > I can open the file if I start Excel, and the use the "Open File"
> > option.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to why it should behave this way are appreciated. I
> > did try re-installing, but the behaviour has not changed.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Rycroft

0
Andrew3569 (322)
7/27/2009 3:09:02 PM
Sorry, I overlooked the XL 2007 reference;
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211494
Here is a clip from there
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
In Microsoft Office Excel 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then
click Excel Options.
Click Advanced, and then click to clear the Ignore other applications check
box in the General area.
Click OK.
In Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or earlier versions of Excel click Options,
on the Tools menu.
Click the General tab.
Click to clear the Ignore other applications check box, and then click OK.
After you do this, you should be able to open workbooks by double-clicking
them

--

> Hi,
>
> I cannot find this option in Windows explorer -
>
> Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
>
> Do I have to Dril down further?
>
> I tried the unreg/reg but this did not work.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Andrew Rycroft
>

> "Bernard Liengme" wrote:
>
>> The following is taken from my Evernote database (I wish I had recorded
>> the
>> author)
>> ----------------
>> Excel will not open when a file is clicked
>> Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double
>> clicking
>> on
>> the file in windows explorer:
>>
>> Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
>>
>> --- or ---
>>
>> Close Excel and
>> Windows Start Button|Run
>> excel /unregserver
>> then
>> Windows Start Button|Run
>> excel /regserver
>>
>> The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to
>> excel's
>> factory defaults.
>> ------
>> best wishes
>> --
>> Bernard V Liengme
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>> remove caps from email
>>

>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am running Microsoft Vista SP2 with Excel 2007. I used to be able to
>> > double click an xls or xlsx file in my "Windows explorer", or
>> > Microsoft Outlook attachement and the file would open with Excel. This
>> > function does not work anymore. I get an error :-
>> >
>> > "Windows cannot find file ... Make sure you typed the name correctly
>> > and then try again.?"
>> >
>> > I can open the file if I start Excel, and the use the "Open File"
>> > option.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions as to why it should behave this way are appreciated. I
>> > did try re-installing, but the behaviour has not changed.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Andrew Rycroft

0
bliengme (657)

CList problem: double entries...
I'm having trouble workin with a simple CList: the function always adds the first element twice and I don't know why. also, the later added elements do not appear immediately in the list, but only on the next function call... here is the code: ---------------- CList<CASystem, CASystem> AllCAS; CASystem *GetCreateCASystem(int ID) { bool bFound = false; CASystem *pCAS = NULL; // check if AS list exists if(AllCAS.IsEmpty()) { // create new AS pCAS = new CASystem; pCAS->ID = ID; ...

Filter to select from various fields on opening a form
I have a form called TDC and want to filter data in the following fields on opening the form: DiaryAction (text field); DiaryCategory (text field); DiarySubCategory (text field); Company (text field); ContactType (text field); DiaryItemClosed (a Yes/No field). At the same time, I want the option not to select anything in each of these fields. Please could somebody give me the steps to do this. I am doing this in Access 2007, but am creating it as an Access 2003 database. Thank you for any help. I meant to say that I want this from dropdown boxes, but forgot to say becau...

Creating HTML email in Outlook 2007
Hi! I'm using Outlook 2007 on XP SP3 and have suddenly run into a change in the way Outlook seems to work...or at least in the way that I like to use Outlook. Normally all my outgoing emails are in plain text but every now and again I need to send out an HTML email. I'll create the copy in Notepad with appropriate HTML coding and save it as a .htm file. I'll open up a new message, change the format to HTML and then insert the file as text. Up until now that system has worked just fine...until today. I went throught the same procedure and when I went to add file as ...

Error opening form
Hi, I am trying to open a form from a switchboard and I get this error message: "MSACCESS exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I restart the computer and it's fixed. but it keeps happening. Does anyone know the solution? I have Microsoft Office 2000 thanks -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 There are many, many things that could be causing this. Work through the list in this article: Preventing corruption ...

Can�t open some mail in Exchange 2003
Hi! I�m using exchange 2003 and Outlook 2000 and 2003 I have some mail that I can�t open, I get the error "Can�t open this item, The operation failed." I can view, delete or take backup on the mails. I have tried to resote an old backup, the I get two mails with the exact same name, I can open the restored mail, but still not the orginal. How can I delete the bad mails? Is their a tool to check all the mailboxes for errors in Exchange 2003. Best regards Joakim Sweden ISINTEG will help you. Make sure that you have usable backup before you start. Jocke wrote: > Hi! > &g...

unable to open outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi , i'm unable to open my Outlook 2003 , it gives error = message as "cannot start microsoft office outlook 2003,unable to open = the outlook window. the set of folders could not be opened . the server = is not available " plz help me to fix this issue With Regards, Ramesh.C ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5B4B8.538D04A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"...

total size of files
I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these servers. Thanks On Nov 18, 10:19=A0am, Tom1 <usernetu...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I need a script to find out the number & total size of files based > upon the file extention across about 30 servers. I'm searching for mdb > files. The script will be run remotely against local drives on these > servers. Thanks <warning> <aircode> with ...

outlook .dbx files
I have old .dbx files/folders with as much as 654,000K in them. Are these old emails and if so, how can I access them to see what they contain? ...

Publisher 2007 crashes when trying to open website created with 20
One of my websites works with 2007 because it was named index.html within its file but the other doesn't that was named by its name.pub, I tried to rename it index.html but it didn't work, its icon became one of IE instead of Publisher like my first website. I ran office diagnostics and no error was found. Any help much appreciated. ...

Boot log file
Should boot log (file output = ntbtlog.txt) run everytime I boot up? If not, how do I enable it to run upon every boot up? The only ntbtlog.txt on my PC (WinXP home edition SP3) is dated 4 months ago and seems to list only drivers and no applications, it is big (955 KB). Can it be made to show all loaded drivers, services and applications? Is the list produced in chronological order of files loaded? =?Utf-8?B?UFNSdW1iYWdo?= <PSRumbagh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:DD161D98-BEEA-403B-AF1F-3A66D85D2BBA@microsoft.com: > Should boot log (file output = ntbt...

Hotmail account in Outlook 2007
Is it possible to receved Hotmail messages in Outlook? I have installed the Outlook Connector and can send from my Hotmail account from Outlook, but any messages addressed to the Hotmail account don't arrive in my Outlook Inbox. Thanks "Misha" <Misha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3640387-4E01-44D0-9879-5D0B6E8AED90@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to receved Hotmail messages in Outlook? I have installed > the > Outlook Connector and can send from my Hotmail account from Outlook, but > any > messages addressed to the Hotm...

opened outlook- inbox was cleaned out- HELP!!
When I opened Outlook Express today- my Inbox was empty. There should be 35 messages in there. The other folders are all still untouchesd nad the adress book looks okay. They are not in the deleted folder and when search is done tere are not results. Help. Tina ...

Publisher 2007 trialV does not recognize user Word dictionaries
Publisher 2007 trialV does not recognize user Word dictionary. If I try to install the dictionary in publisher it says save dictionary as unicode. I do not have this as a save option in Word XP. Thanks, Dick. ...

Outlook files on Active Directory
My company is installing active directory on a company wide server, all E-Mail messages will reside on the server. The question is can I move an E-Mail on the active directory to a local .PST or other file within the folder list of Outlook 2002 SP-1 ...

problem with my old .PST file
I have my .pst file size 1.96 GB. my Out look personel foder stop working suddenly. I receive an error meesage -- Quit all mail-enabled application, and then use the inbox repair tool. I have had to create a new personnel folder PST file and import folders/files from my backup. Outlook will no longer open my old outlook file - I get the message "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use." Then I run Oversized PST recovery tool three times, and I trimmed size upto 300mb. Recovery tool is working fine. after that when I run Inbox repair tool, ...

Are PDB files used by VB6
Hi, I noticed that some of my projects have several pdb files in them, but not all the projects. I searched google and found that they seem to be referenced as Palm Data Base, but was not able to find if they are created by VB or if they are needed. Are they similar to the obj files and if used by VB will the be created each time? Thanks in advance for any information, Norm "Norm" <NormF4@Spoof.com> wrote in message news:i34h96$66j$1@news.eternal-september.org... > Hi, > > I noticed that some of my projects have several pdb files in them, but ...

Exporting Outlook Contacts to csv file but does not work
I am trying to export my contacts to a csv file and I know how to do the steps. BUT each time I create a csv (even tried to export using Excel) the fields I choose (first, last name, email address) show up in the file but none of the contacts make it over. I had someone help me once and somehow she actually found a way to start the process by Mapping the fields with the contacts information and then the transfer completed the rest of the contacts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Have you selected the correct Contacts folder during the Export process? Which version of Outlo...

Publisher thinks I am trying to open a file I received, with a di.
Received a file via email. Cannot open the file with Publisher. It thinks I am using a different version. I am not. It was created with Publisher 2000 and I am using Publisher 2000. When I attempt to open the file I receive a message that "cannot open file with a different version of Publisher". Can anyone help me? Was the file zipped before it was sent? It should have been. Email attachments are frequently corrupted. The best way to prevent this is to zip them at the origin then unzip them at the destination. This puts a shell around them that can help prevent them fro...

Generate XPathExpression from TreeView in C# OR Remember what user picked in TreeView
Hi, I have what I thought would be a simple problem. I display some XML data to a user in a TreeView (WindowsForms C# 2008). I'd like to record what the user picked so I can highlight that choice next time. I thought I'd be able to do something like: TreeNode nd = treeView1.SelectedNode; string savedValue = nd.FullPath; Then, the next time around, I thought I could do something like this: XPathNavigator nav1 = dom.CreateNavigator(); nav1 = nav1.SelectSingleNode(savedValue); But this does not seem to work. An error is thrown on the SelectSingleNode. Clearly I'm missing some...

DoEvents in MFC (C++)
Hi I have an AxWebControl in my application. I want to print the page when it is done loading, how can i do this? In C# i use a function Application.DoEvents() after I tell it to display and before I tell it to print.I need something like this in MFC (C++). Regards, Mystique I have this function that I collected from somewhere... maybe could be usefull for you... void CApplication::DoEvents() { MSG msg; while ( ::PeekMessage( &msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE ) ) { if ( !PumpMessage( ) ) { ::PostQuitMessage(0); break; } } /...

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system error
Recently the Compat Pack has stopped working. I am in Email, double click on ..docx document, word opens but "There was an error opening the file" appears. Will not convert. I deleted my Compatibility Pack, downloaded another, still the same message appears. Any suggestions? Does this have anything to do with Word for Macintosh?... That's the group you've posted to. If this is a Windows issue there is a link below for getting to the Win Office groups, but before using it: Have you tried saving the attachment to your local HD then opening the saved copy? Atte...

WM5 and Exchange 2003 sp2
I have problems getting my QTEK 8310 to work against Exchange I have a selfsigned certificate installed on the qtek and can access oma without beeing prompted so that should be ok. But I get the error 0x85010014 when I try to sync with Exchange, I just tried to create a new virtual directory for Exchange and called it exchange-oma just like SBS server does and change the registry (MAS) to point to this, but no go :( I have spend alot of time with this now and am really sick and tired of trying to get this to work, I have alot of customers also wanting this solution but as long as our o...

Unable to open .vsd using Visio 2007 Viewer
Hi, I installed Visio 2007 Professional, but de-installed it as I did not want to activate it (after the trial period). Someone pointed me to Visio Viewer which should enable me to view the vsd-files. I installed Visio 2002/XP. But it turned out that the vsd-file was incompatible with my 2002/XP installation. So I de-installed Viewer 2002/XP. Next I installed Visio Viewer 2007. The icon of the vsd-file did not change (from the unrecognised form to the Visio form). Double clicking the vsd-file did not start up my viewer. But looking at my software list learns me 'Microsoft Office V...

Money File Moved/Changed Causing D/L Trouble
Several months ago, I had a problem with Money 98s files, and, in the course of correcting that problem, I created a 'new' Money file that I worked from. Things were fine till my bank did some upgrades, and I suddenly was no longer able to directly download my statement from the bank's website to M98. I was advised, here, that I needed to save the statement as a file and Import it into Money. I began doing that, and things worked well. Yesterday, I found that someone else has had the same problem, and, that you folks have evidently found a fix for it. I followed these ...

Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2007 Data Question
I have a user running Outlook 2003 and the Exchange 2007. Today the user was having trouble sorting items. The mailbox is over 31,200 items and 2.51 GB of data. My guess is the file size and number of items is the cause of the issue with sorting. Is this file size normal or simply too large? Suggestions around this issue would be a huge help in our working on this issue. -- NC Beach Bum On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:54:01 -0800, NC Beach Bum <NCBeachBum@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a user running Outlook 2003 and the Exchange 2007. Today the...