Error Message When Opening File

Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been 
using for years.  
Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft 
Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3 
years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file 
on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when 
the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with 
no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?

Running XP Pro and Home

0
MLaborde (3)
2/6/2007 3:51:00 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

6 Replies
459 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 33

M,

Some possibilities:

Try opening the file on another machine.  Some later versions of Excel have some file-fixing 
capabilities, and their saved files are compatible with Excel 97.  Try opening it with Open 
Office.  It's said to be able to open troublesome Excel files and fix them.  It can also 
save as an xls, so  you can go back to using Excel if this works.  Keep backups of the file 
from time to time so you'll have something to fall back on when stuff breaks.    It will.

-- 
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
> Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
> using for years.
> Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
> Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
> years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file
> on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when
> the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with
> no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
>
> Running XP Pro and Home
> 


0
someone798 (944)
2/6/2007 4:16:56 AM
Successfully used Open Office for similar problems, both with Excel and 
Word.


knut
"M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding 
news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
> Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
> using for years.
> Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
> Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
> years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the 
> file
> on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) 
> when
> the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner 
> with
> no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
>
> Running XP Pro and Home
> 


0
nomail1151 (11)
2/6/2007 11:44:56 AM
Thank you very much for the reply!  Please excuse my ignorance --when you say 
 "Try opening it with Open  Office"  do  you mean use the command "OPEN" to 
access Office, or is "Open Office" a utility or component of/within the 
Office Suite? 

Thanks, ML

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> M,
> 
> Some possibilities:
> 
> Try opening the file on another machine.  Some later versions of Excel have some file-fixing 
> capabilities, and their saved files are compatible with Excel 97.  Try opening it with Open 
> Office.  It's said to be able to open troublesome Excel files and fix them.  It can also 
> save as an xls, so  you can go back to using Excel if this works.  Keep backups of the file 
> from time to time so you'll have something to fall back on when stuff breaks.    It will.
> 
> -- 
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
> > Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
> > using for years.
> > Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
> > Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
> > years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file
> > on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when
> > the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with
> > no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
> >
> > Running XP Pro and Home
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
MLaborde (3)
2/6/2007 8:31:00 PM
ML,

Open Office is a free suite of programs like Microsoft's Word, Excel, etc.  You can download 
it free from www.openoffice.org.  It's a large download.  Or find someone who has it (I do) 
and send them the file to try.  My email address is on my web site below.  Don't put it in a 
post, whatever you do.  The spammers will pick it up, and it'll be ruined within a year.

-- 
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/excel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:B46F5FC2-248D-4BA1-8413-4D6388A37308@microsoft.com...
> Thank you very much for the reply!  Please excuse my ignorance --when you say
> "Try opening it with Open  Office"  do  you mean use the command "OPEN" to
> access Office, or is "Open Office" a utility or component of/within the
> Office Suite?
>
> Thanks, ML
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> M,
>>
>> Some possibilities:
>>
>> Try opening the file on another machine.  Some later versions of Excel have some 
>> file-fixing
>> capabilities, and their saved files are compatible with Excel 97.  Try opening it with 
>> Open
>> Office.  It's said to be able to open troublesome Excel files and fix them.  It can also
>> save as an xls, so  you can go back to using Excel if this works.  Keep backups of the 
>> file
>> from time to time so you'll have something to fall back on when stuff breaks.    It will.
>>
>> -- 
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
>> > Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
>> > using for years.
>> > Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
>> > Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
>> > years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file
>> > on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when
>> > the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with
>> > no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
>> >
>> > Running XP Pro and Home
>> >
>>
>>
>> 


0
someone798 (944)
2/6/2007 10:25:58 PM
I downloaded the Open Office Suite and was able to open the damaged file.  
Can’t thank you enough for your help.

Last November, after I upgraded from Win 95SE to XP, it would no longer 
allow me to use my Win 95 backup program.  Tomorrow I’ll be finding a new one 
compatible with XP.

A VERY RELIEVED thank you.  Appreciate your assistance.

ML


"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

> ML,
> 
> Open Office is a free suite of programs like Microsoft's Word, Excel, etc.  You can download 
> it free from www.openoffice.org.  It's a large download.  Or find someone who has it (I do) 
> and send them the file to try.  My email address is on my web site below.  Don't put it in a 
> post, whatever you do.  The spammers will pick it up, and it'll be ruined within a year.
> 
> -- 
> Earl Kiosterud
> www.smokeylake.com/excel
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:B46F5FC2-248D-4BA1-8413-4D6388A37308@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you very much for the reply!  Please excuse my ignorance --when you say
> > "Try opening it with Open  Office"  do  you mean use the command "OPEN" to
> > access Office, or is "Open Office" a utility or component of/within the
> > Office Suite?
> >
> > Thanks, ML
> >
> > "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
> >
> >> M,
> >>
> >> Some possibilities:
> >>
> >> Try opening the file on another machine.  Some later versions of Excel have some 
> >> file-fixing
> >> capabilities, and their saved files are compatible with Excel 97.  Try opening it with 
> >> Open
> >> Office.  It's said to be able to open troublesome Excel files and fix them.  It can also
> >> save as an xls, so  you can go back to using Excel if this works.  Keep backups of the 
> >> file
> >> from time to time so you'll have something to fall back on when stuff breaks.    It will.
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Earl Kiosterud
> >> www.smokeylake.com
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
> >> > Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
> >> > using for years.
> >> > Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
> >> > Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
> >> > years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file
> >> > on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when
> >> > the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with
> >> > no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
> >> >
> >> > Running XP Pro and Home
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
MLaborde (3)
2/7/2007 3:46:00 AM
M,

Well, good.  This is the first confirmed story of this issue that I've actually heard.  Glad 
to hear it.  It would be interesting to know if a later version of Excel could also have 
recovered it.
-- 
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:32BB2834-8E33-4A2C-8035-FB36DFB3E919@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded the Open Office Suite and was able to open the damaged file.
> Can't thank you enough for your help.
>
> Last November, after I upgraded from Win 95SE to XP, it would no longer
> allow me to use my Win 95 backup program.  Tomorrow I'll be finding a new one
> compatible with XP.
>
> A VERY RELIEVED thank you.  Appreciate your assistance.
>
> ML
>
>
> "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>
>> ML,
>>
>> Open Office is a free suite of programs like Microsoft's Word, Excel, etc.  You can 
>> download
>> it free from www.openoffice.org.  It's a large download.  Or find someone who has it (I 
>> do)
>> and send them the file to try.  My email address is on my web site below.  Don't put it 
>> in a
>> post, whatever you do.  The spammers will pick it up, and it'll be ruined within a year.
>>
>> -- 
>> Earl Kiosterud
>> www.smokeylake.com/excel
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:B46F5FC2-248D-4BA1-8413-4D6388A37308@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you very much for the reply!  Please excuse my ignorance --when you say
>> > "Try opening it with Open  Office"  do  you mean use the command "OPEN" to
>> > access Office, or is "Open Office" a utility or component of/within the
>> > Office Suite?
>> >
>> > Thanks, ML
>> >
>> > "Earl Kiosterud" wrote:
>> >
>> >> M,
>> >>
>> >> Some possibilities:
>> >>
>> >> Try opening the file on another machine.  Some later versions of Excel have some
>> >> file-fixing
>> >> capabilities, and their saved files are compatible with Excel 97.  Try opening it with
>> >> Open
>> >> Office.  It's said to be able to open troublesome Excel files and fix them.  It can 
>> >> also
>> >> save as an xls, so  you can go back to using Excel if this works.  Keep backups of the
>> >> file
>> >> from time to time so you'll have something to fall back on when stuff breaks.    It 
>> >> will.
>> >>
>> >> -- 
>> >> Earl Kiosterud
>> >> www.smokeylake.com
>> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >> "M Laborde" <MLaborde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:15D6392D-D8BA-45EA-B56D-18BDA134D8BA@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Re: Excel 97 file [from Office 97 Pro Suite] which I created and have been
>> >> > using for years.
>> >> > Suddenly it will not open and gives the message "Microsoft
>> >> > Excel has encountered a problem...".  This is a tax file with data from 3
>> >> > years and will take weeks to recreate (if possible at all).  I used the file
>> >> > on my home network (created on my desktop and accessed with my laptop) when
>> >> > the problem surfaced. (Used other Excel and Access files in this manner with
>> >> > no problems).  Is there a utility avilable to correct this problem?
>> >> >
>> >> > Running XP Pro and Home
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>> 


0
someone798 (944)
2/7/2007 12:58:17 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Sending entire objects via socket vs primitive message fields
I am using a library called "The Network Development Kit". http://www.codeproject.com/internet/ndk.asp The kit allows me to easily establish client/server connections and assemble "messages" (consisting of strings, integers, etc) to pass back and forth between the client and server. With my initial protocol design, I have been passing data via the primitive data field types (strings, int's, etc). The basic logic flow requires me to: 1) Deconstruct the object and assemble the varying field values into a CNDKMessage. 2) Send that message to the server and reconstruct th...

Excel Progrom Error
Hi there Happy new year to all. I often receive the folowing error message in a box titled "Program Error". EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. The only option is OK which closes Excel. I do not know where the error log is created. I am using Office 2000 Service Pack 3 with Windows 2000 Professsional Service Pack 4. Can anybody throw some light on this error. Thanks in anticipation. Michael What are you doing at the time (i.e. is it consistent)? -- Regards; Rob ----------------...

Setup of Generic Out of office Message office 2003/2007
Hi, Out Communications department want's us to setup a standard out of office message for all mailboxes in the organisation. They want every user to have access to the generic Out of Office message. Is there a way I can create an Outlook template or something that I could give all users to put in their mailbox Out of Office area. thanks -- Kath ...

Sharebuilder account import error
Invalid .qif header error when trying to import .qif file from sharebuilder accounts. Anyone know of a fix or experienced this problem?? I typed a long mail to sharebuilder regarding this issue...still waiting fora reply. Hopefully they will be able to help. Microsoft flat out told me it wasn't their issue and to contact my broker! No help AT ALL. Microshaft..... OMalley ...

2003 Keeps the default workbook open
When I start Excel, it starts up with a blank workbook. If I immediately open a saved file, it closes the blank workbook... All good... except mine has stopped closing the blank one. So I always end up with 2 workbooks open, the one I opened and a blank one that I'm not interested in! Is this a setting? if so where? Can I fix it? thanks... M Did you or someone create a default workbook (ie, Book.xltx or Book.xltm) and save it in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART"? On 5/9/2010 4:17 AM, Michelle wrote: > When I start...

Messages saved to Deleted Items instead of Drafts
I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 (Office 2003 Pro) in Windows XP Pro SP2, with all available patches to Windows and Office. If I start a message or a Reply and click the Save icon, the saved message is "saved" to the Deleted Items folder instead of the Drafts folder. If I close the message (as one would do if one were planning to continue later) and empty the Deleted Items folder the message is lost. If I go to Tools, Options, Preferences, E-mail Options..., Advanced E-mail Options..., "Save unsent items in:" has "Drafts" selected, so it should save them in the...

I need to widen my screen so I can print a wide file?
How do I do this? I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but changing to Landscape orientation might help. Assuming that you are using Word 2007, click the Page Layout tab, and then click Orientation in the Page Setup group. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "bingo" <bingo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA925BD1-D8EF-408B-9588-4F5BF7FCD554@microsoft.com... > How do I do this? > I need to print a copy that shows all the script which is too wide. ...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.
We have recently upraded our 2007 SP1 Primary DPM server to 2010 RC and it is working perfectly. I've set up a brand new, fresh Windows 2008 R2 Server for the secondary server, and have told it to protect one of the protection groups on the primary server. Everything works for a little while, but every half hour or so, the DPM service crashes and says: "Connection to the DPM service has been lost. Review the application event log for information about a possible service shutdown. ID: 917" Then asks to restart the administrator console. This kills the ...

ERROR
Hi I am using a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 on Windows XP, for some reason the account numbers (which someone input, along with addresses) have a little green mark in the corner of the cell. I thought it was to show that there is a comment, but it is not. When you click on the cell, a little warning sign shows, saying ERROR - number in this cell formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe. When I click on the arrow by the warning sign, it says Number stored as text Convert to number Ignore error Edit in formula bar Error checking options Show formula in audinting toolbar Now I looked a...

error, chkdsk
Questio, when I try to open excel or winmx, an error pops up saying chkdsk, so i ran a chkdsk and it doesnt do anything. The error also says corrupted file. In excel I have some important work that I need to open, and it only opens in Turkish, if I change it to English, its a bunch of boxes and letters, its not my work I need. How do I change it back. What excel version are you using? Try to find somebody with 2003 to see if they can open the file. Otherwise you would look for some commercial software that might be of help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B30...

4.4.7 error
I have problems on one client that they don't recieve all emails from people sending to them. I guess something is wrong in the configuration. When I do a nslookup -type=mx domain.com I just get unautharized answer. Also the ttl time is just 1800 when I do a dns report. Do the guys that handle the dns change this? The people that doesn't get their mail throw get the 4.4.7 error in return. Best regards Jimmy http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Surfer&q...

error 0x800CCC0F
Dear Team; I am receiving the following error messages, please assist Could result be sent to lewis.king@riotinto.com regards Lew Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'brocolli & mushroom stir fry noodle', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server p...

delete server...routing master error
hello, I have 2 exchange servers (exch 2003) and i have to delete one of them. I changed all replication etc...(before we had also a 5.5 which is already removed) but when i stop the services and try to remove the server via system manager of my second exchange (the one that will stay) i get an error message that my server that i want to delete is the routing master for that group. How can i make my other server the routing master ? i don't have any site replication (deleted it because not necessary anymore). thnx, Philippe Go to routing groups > first routing group > mem...

Excel error codes translations
hi, Does anybody know where I can find a kind of dictionary for Exce errors? The problem is sometimes I get an error message that is not in Englis and without error code and then looking for the solution I must kno its equivalent in English. Regards, Micha -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

toolbar, date, services, errors, paste, minimized system restore doesn't work
I have a XP system that the toolbar does not show open programs, services do not seem to load at boot, the date is off by one month, I cannot paste anything that I copy, and system restore does not work. All of these issues started at the same time a few days ago. Has anyone else seen this group of errors? I am trying to resolve and do not know if it is a system update gone bad, or if maybe it is a viruse/malware issue. Please let me know if you had had these problems together and what you did to fix them. There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hi...

Default File Renaming
When I save my files as webpages Publisher automatically renames alllllll of my files to Img001 Img002 etc etc and I have to go through the HTML and change ALL the file names so that it pulls the right pictures... my site is huge, this is tedious and annoying... can anyone help??? It is not renaming your image files, it is making copies of them. If you are renaming those copies than your page won't load the images because the file names will be wrong. I recommend you visit my site and review the articles I have for the version you are using. If you require anything further please use ...

open attachments via OWA
Have a curious situation. A user is complaining of cannot open attachments via OWA. That's through our company Exchange server (Exchange 2003). Now, on the very *same* laptop she is using, she can get attachments from another company's OWA. Very strange. What is the normal cause of this issue? What attachment types can't see access? (e.g. doc, mdb, exe, com, bat, .etc) The reason that I ask is that OWA under Exchange 2003 can block access to specific attachment types just like Outlook 2003. "Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message news:3shlhkFoeg86U1@...

Re: Money 2004
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried unregistering/re-registering the msxml3 DLL, but still no luck. However, knowing the help file topics are local might help with debugging this problem. thanks, randy "Randy" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:... > All, > > I've recently upgraded to Money 2004 Premium from 2003 Deluxe. I'm now > finding that I can't view any help topics--I get the "Unable to load topic. > Click here to try again." I've tried all the suggestions posted here and at > other sites: cleared out temporary in...

Clicked a .prf. file and woosh
Help! I accidentally clicked on a file with a .prf extension (some utility that keeps it preferences stored in such a file). To my surprise this not only started Outlook but also triggered some Outlook installation dialog. When I clicked that away I ended up with a completely new and empty Outlook! At first I was flabberghasted, since ALL my mails, my calendar entries, contacts, etc. EVERYTHING seemed gone! When I just doublechecked I saw, that this thing apparently created a new Outlook1.pst file which seems to be used as the new default. It seems that my old file "Outlook.pst&q...

how to install .oft files (forms) on a Clustered Exchange?
Hi All I have Exchange 2000 cluster active/passive. How does I install Outlook forms (.oft) files on a Clustered Exchange? Thank you, Jack Black ...

"File Error: Data May Be Lost" error when opening workbook saved in Mac
When I open in Excel 2007 for Windows workbook with charts saved in Mac OS, I see the message "File Error: Data May Be Lost". In Excel 2003 for Windows this message appears as many times as many sheets there are in workbook. Maybe someone knows what's the reason? Unfortunately you haven't provided the info needed... "Mac OS" means very little. The question is "What version of Mac Excel are you using, what file format are the files saved as & what type of content is in the files?" In general, what you're running into is that Excel 2003 &a...

Technical error
AMEX and Discover are not being sent over to the credit card processor during settlement. I comes up with a "TECHNICAL ERROR". Visa and MC are settling fine. Does anyone know what the problem is?? All are setup as different tranaction types in RMS and ALL authorize fine during the transaction process. Your merchant account is not correctly configured for AMEX & Discover. This is on the bank's side, not RMS. -- Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tibercreek.com glenn@tibercreek.com ---------------------------------------------- Please DO NOT respond to me dir...

Can't move items to PST file
Ever see a message when moving an email (with attachment) from your In Box to a subfolder in a Personal Folder (pst) that Outlook "Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was already moved or deleted, or access was denied." Thanks for any help you can provide! Greg PS. We don't have any mailbox limits set on the network. What is the overall size of the .PST file and how many items are in the folder you're trying to move the item to? Also, what version of Outlook are you using? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address ...

CObject Private method access error
Hi, I am trying to recompile application that has been developed in VC++ 6.0 with VC++2005.. While compiling, I'm getting the following error.. error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject' 1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(553) : see declaration of 'CObject::CObject' 1> c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(524) : see declaration of 'CObject' 1> This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'CExcepti...

Error in closing Outlook
Application error ciceroUIWndFrame. The instruction at 0x7e430240 reference memory cannot be written 0x7e42631A Also unable to dial a phone using Outlook. Sanford Take a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323613 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff@analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message news:4B6CD165.E7510293@analysis-knowledge.com... > Application error ciceroUIWndFrame. > The instruction at 0x7e430240 reference me...