Endlessly repeating values

I am working in a spreadsheet created by my predecessor at the state
agency where I work, and have come across a peculiar bug. In certain
cells, whenever I type in a value, then that value will repeat
endlessly. For example, if I type in "45", then Excel converts it to
"454545454545..." and so on ad infinitum. I have a fair amount of
experience with Excel, but have never seen it do this before, can
anyone suggest a way to turn it off?

0
nickxylas (23)
10/11/2006 7:10:06 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Check
Format|Cells|Alignment tab
Do you have the horizontal alignment set to Fill?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Dave Peterson wrote:
> Check
> Format|Cells|Alignment tab
> Do you have the horizontal alignment set to Fill?

0
nickxylas (23)
10/11/2006 7:28:49 PM
I think it may be a holdover from the old non-wysiwyg days.

If you wanted to "underline" a cell, you could fill the cell with a dash or an
equal sign.

nickxylas@wmconnect.com wrote:

> Yes I did. Thanks for the prompt response. Nice to know about that
> feature, even though I can't think of a situation in which I would
> actually need to use it.
>
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> > Check
> > Format|Cells|Alignment tab
> > Do you have the horizontal alignment set to Fill?

--

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)

repeating e mail
I keep getting old e mails re-appearing in my inbox, and no new ones - how can I stop these old e mails from recurring and get my new e mail? ...

Do Until ... loop
Hello, I have code in a macro that finds something, makes a copy of it, goes to another document, pastes the selection, returns to the original document. This works, but I need to do it an unknown number of times in different documents. So, I tried the following (based on reading a lot in this group). Do Until ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\Sel") = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\EndOfDoc") stuff gets done in here Loop The active document does have an EndOfDoc bookmark. (As an aside, I don't know what the ("\Sel") is for.)...

Highest value cell and ajacent cells
Hi, What I want to do is find the top 3 highest scores with (Large(P3:p95,row(A1)) and then get the ajacent values from row (O) and row (R) Hi, Use this and drag down =INDEX($O$3:$O$95,MATCH(LARGE($P$3:$P$95,ROW(A1)),$P$3:$P$95,0)) Mike "Gilbo" wrote: > Hi, > > What I want to do is find the top 3 highest scores with > (Large(P3:p95,row(A1)) and then get the ajacent values from row (O) and row > (R) OOps, Missed the one for column R =VLOOKUP(LARGE($P$3:$P$95,ROW(A1)),$P$3:$R$95,3,FALSE) Once again drag down Mike "Mike...

Highlight rows of data based on value
Is there a way to highlight groups of data automatically by value. Part Number ABC ABC ABC BBB BBB CAD CAD BAD I would like to highlight all the ABC one color and the BBB another and so on automatically. tia, ko Not too easily using multiple colors but could be done using Conditional Formatting. Depends upon how many "and so on's" there are and how hard you want to work on this. Easy enough to use Conditional Formatting to color-band alternate groups using two colors only. See Chip Pearson's site for how-to. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ContentBanding.aspx Gord Dib...

repeating cells in footer in excel
I need prepare a form with many lines. In this form I need to provide a footer (with a group of cells) for approvement. Even I can select cells to repeat in every page header there is no such a feature for footers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

forcing exchange to read new quota values
When someone gives us a call...stating "I can't send email anymore"...we update the quota values via the user's object in Active Directory, and then the waiting game starts for Exchange to update its value. We had previously set the registry key below in hopes of changing this...but it hasn't had an effect. Even after the server has been restarted. We set: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\Reread Logon Quotas Interval to a lower value (15 minutes) in hopes of forcing it to update quotas...but it still seems like it...

#Value! cell
I want to display a message in a cell if the cell returns #Value! In Excel 2007 use the IFERROR IFERROR(A1+b1,"You have an error") in Excel 2003 IFERROR is not available, but you can use ISERROR IF(ISERROR(A1+B1),"You have an error",A1+B1) If you really want to get specific and only trigger on #VALUE and not all errors check out the ERROR.TYPE function in help -- If this helps, please remember to click yes. "oldjay" wrote: > I want to display a message in a cell if the cell returns #Value! ...

Repeats
On one of my worksheets I type the day of the week in the first column, followed by the date in the second column etc. Since the current entry is in line 3,675th when I typed the first letter of the day the rest was completed automatically. E.g. If I typed M then onday followed, as were entries of the same gist in other columns, when the first word of the information was typed. Suddenly this stopped. Why I have no idea, but would appreciate if someone told me how to restore this time and typing savings. Thanks! Tools>Options>Edit, check that Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values i...

hiding zero values in stacked bar charts
On a stacked bar chart with values displayed (data label is set to value), I do not want to display the value if its zero (no slice of data). Is there a way to do this? When I have approached different Excel users with this problem, they said they go back to the spreadsheet and delete the zero's so they do not show up on the chart. I have a lot of entries and frequently use the spreadsheet so I want to avoid having to manually delete the zeros for display purposes. Thank you. Hi, To get rid of zero data labels try using a custom number format General;General;; Cheers Andy WSU C...

Running Sum + initial value
Hello everyone, I have a report that almost works. I am able to create a running sum easily, but my running sum needs to also include an initial deposit amount, is there a way to do this? This is what I want: Initial deposit $1000 date totalDeposit totalWithd total TotalAvail jan $100 0 100 $1100 feb $100 0 100 $1200 mar $100 0 100 $1300 Make deposit record in Jan. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "phillip9" wrote: > Hell...

Outlook asking for logon repeatedly
We have a 2000 domain sp 4 and Exchange 2003 on a separate server. We have our own DNS servers. The problem is, clients running Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002 are getting prompted to give the logon information after they have logged on successfully and opened Outlook. After a few minutes they are prompted again and the prompt keeps coming back even if the client repeatedly enters the correct logon information. When I ping the exchange server by name the name resolves and the I get a reply. So I have connectivity and dns is properly configured. Any suggestions? Regards, eotrue, Yo...

Endless Spam
Please~~~How do I stop endless Spam from coming into my Inbox???? Bump up your junk mail settings. You should provide at the very least your version of Microsoft Outlook and type of mail account for anyone to begin to troubleshoot. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "sorrcerress" wrote: > Please~~~How do I stop endless Spam from coming into my Inbox???? sorrcerress wrote: > Please~~~How do I stop endless Spam from coming into my Inbox???? With so little to go on from your post, one solution is...

WSE3.0 'Value cannot be null' error on settings
Hi, Simple operation, I've got a working MTOM-enabled webservice. I try to include it in my C++ Managed Project. Whenever I try to activate MTOM through WSE Settings ( rightclick on the project ) I get an error : Value cannot be null , Parameter Name: path1 . I've reinstalled WSE 3.0 several times but the error remains. In a C# or VB.Net App I can add my webservice and enable MTOM via Settings as it should go. Does somebody know a solution ? the only post I've found was without an answer. Regards, Sven Peeters ...

Endlessly sending mail
Hi! I have outlook 2003 set up to use an exchange server and an SMTP account. I messed up the setup and put a bad address in the SMTP account setup, and the SMTP server is rejecting my message. However, Outlook KEEPS sending the message OVER and OVER. The thing is, the message isn't in the Outbox! I looked for it there, thinking that I could delete it and make Outlook stop attempting to send it. But it's not there. How can I get rid of this message that will never send through the SMTP server? Any help is greatly appreciated! Lerch ...

Default value Date&Time fields for appointment creating
Is it possible to st a default value for date and time field in for example an appointment activity. Now its days are set from 0:00 to 0:00 i would like it to be from 9:00 until 17:00 (9 AM until 5 PM) I've looked at the attribute itself and system settings from organization, but i couldn't locate anything there? Is this possible in CRM (witrhout programming java etc. or buying add-ons from all over? thanks, Kas have you received any answers on this? I would like to be able to do the same. Thanks! "_Kas_" wrote: > Is it possible to st a default value for date...

setfocus() endless loop
I've got two dialogs, one embedded within the other. I'd like to set the focus on a Edit-control of the embedded dialog, by calling setFocus() in onInitDialog() (return FALSE) of the embedded dialog. This works fine so far, as long as the edit fields of both dialogs are activ. However, when the edit controls are set inactiv, the application gets stuck and the cursor is blinking in a control of the outer dialog, although it is never set there in the code. If I remove the desired setFocus(), everything works fine, also with inactiv controls. Probably, the setFocus() on the desired ...

How do I set up a repeating weekly email in outlook?
I am trying to set up an email that is sent out every Thursday to serve as a reminder with out having to repeat the process every week. Is there a way to perform this action? DDPARTIN1;707494 Wrote: > I am trying to set up an email that is sent out every Thursday to serve as a > reminder with out having to repeat the process every week. Is there a way to > perform this action? Outlook does not have a built-in means of doing this. There are two possible solutions. 1. Write a script that sends the message using VBScript. Schedule it to run using Windo...

How do I make this display a "0" value
In Cell G18 I have the formula =SUM(G9:G17,-36) but the cells G9-G17 are blank yet G18 displays a -36 value. I know this must be simple but is there a way to get the G18 cell to display a "0" value if the cells G9-G17 are blank? -- Geo One way to do it is to use an IF() function: =IF(SUM(G9:G17)=0,0,SUM(G9:G17,-36)) This instructs Excel to return a zero value if the sum of cells g9 thru g17 is zero, and performs your original SUM(G9:G17,-36) operation if the sum is not zero. Hi =IF(COUNT(G9:G17),SUM(G9:G17,-36),0) or maybe =MAX(0,SUM(G9:G17,-36)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Fr...

Email repeating
Hello All of a sudden I'm getting repeats on all my incoming email. I've talked to my ISP and they say the problem's on my end because I only get one copy of the email in their webmail. It turns into 2 by the time I download it to my machine (Outlook '03). I have changed no settings and cannot find a setting for in email options that deals with this. Any ideas? Thanks Dij Disable your AV scanning incoming and outgoing mail. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.co...

Please HELP! Picklist Values
Hello, I tried to post description of a picklist value from CRM to an aspx file by defining post-url action in a create rule. when i try to get industrycodename it always gets null, so i thought to get the value of the picklist and find the match with retrievePicklist method in CRM SDK. i can get the picklist when i run web application but it gives SOAP error when i triggered it from CRM. How can i get the description? I'll go crazy! ...

Publisher repeatedly opens files as a new untitled document
I just upgraded from Microsoft Works 2001 suite to MS Office 2003 on my laptop. On another computer I was running Publisher 2000. I copied a Pub 2000 file to My Docs and opened it with my new Pub 2003. Two big problems... it doesn't recognize a number of fonts, which is fine except that I keep selecting to permanently replace the unrecognized fonts w/ Times New Roman so I could customize the file from scratch w/ available Pub 2003 fonts, but it doesn't save that option, it keeps making the same prompt each time I open it. The other main problem is that when it does open the ...

Getting the text value from a number
Need to get the text value from a cell that has a number value, example 50 in cell A2, need to get in B2 "fifty" is this possible using excel Hi Javier, You have to define a function to this. Look for "VBA spell numbers function" at this site: http://cpap.com.br/orlando HTH --- (So that you get best and rapid solution and all may benefit from the discussion, please reply within the newsgroup, not in email) "Javier" <tech@hrosa.com> escreveu na mensagem news:08b301c35bcc$25814270$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Need to get the text value from a cell that ha...

Copy a value
Not sure if it can be done: Property management spreadsheet with general ledger. I wish to separately track expenses for each property automatically by extracting from the general ledger. So, my thought is that each row would start with a property code, say "1" for XYZ property, etc. Then the expense is manually entered in its column in that row, e.g., "Utilities." I would like to have to the program recognize the value "1" and then scan the row for the number entered under the Utilities column and then enter that number in another column in the same row e...

Paste Value Error
I have a simple formula which evaluates to 4.3. If I copy the formula and paste as value, the value I get is "4.29999999999995". For example: Finding the difference of 999(A1) and 994.7(B1) with "=B1-A1" the value returned is 4.3. Put if you copy the formula and paste special as value only you get the 4.2999 number. Noticed this when breaking links in a document and it is now driving me crazy. It's not so much a "paste value error" as "the way Excel does math". The following site provides some information on why this occurs: &...

repeated conversion of data summarized into rows and columns
I have data ("Usage") with hours 1-24 as the column headers and dates Jan 1-Dec 31 in rows 1-365 for user 1, rows 366-733 for user 2, etc... for 1200 users. The year 2005 is on the first sheet, 2006 on the second, etc.... I'm going to clean up the data by putting it into an access db with only 4 fields (Date, Hour, User, Usage) (31 million rows) then connect with Excel to use pivot table functions. Any good ideas about how to unsummaryize the data? Hour User Date 1 2 3 4 5 1 1-Jan 5.00 6.00 4.00 4.00 10.00 1 2-Jan 3.00 2.00 5.00 9.00 3.00 1 3-Jan 11.00...