Duplicating parts of a worksheet

I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date
description, purchase order, and expense amount).   I want to summariz
from this worksheet all of the expenses by account.

I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list
but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account tha
lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount.  Is ther
a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This sounds like a job for a Pivottable.

You can create a nice summary report based on your master worksheet.

Then you can drill down into any of those pivottable total fields and show the
rows of data that were used to make this total.

If you want to learn more about pivottables, here are a few links.

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/xlconPT101.aspx

====
I think I'd do the pivottable stuff--it's very quick after you spend a little
time learning.  But I wouldn't separate my data.

But I would apply Data|filter|Autofilter to the range so I could filter by just
the stuff I wanted to see.

And if you use =subtotal(), you'll see that it only applies to the visible
cells.  (It ignores the rows hidden by the autofilter.)

"msherman83 <" wrote:

> I am working with an excel worksheet with five columns (account, date,
> description, purchase order, and expense amount).   I want to summarize
> from this worksheet all of the expenses by account.
>
> I know how to get the total expenses for each account from this list,
> but I want to be able to create another worksheet for each account that
> lists date, description, purchase order, and expense amount.  Is there
> a way to do this without requiring double entering of everything?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Duplicates

Auto-save worksheet on close?
Hello! At work we have a worksheet that is always open. A lot of people are adding data to the file (on only one computer). But we have a problem; people are shutting down excel and pressing "no" on the "Do you want to save changes"-notification. So; How could I disable the notification, and instead put on a macro like this; Private Sub Worksheet_Close() Worksheet.Save End Sub ________________________________ Well, I'm no programmer, so it's surely not right, but how could I easily do what I want? Thanks. =D8ystein Hi You could enter something like the f...

Worksheet has large page numbers in middle of sheet
how do you get to put these page numbers on worksheet that don't print What you're seeing is the User Interface for the Page Break Preview view. In article <FED72CA1-77DD-47AA-A904-6F4284491BE8@microsoft.com>, knifty <knifty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how do you get to put these page numbers on worksheet that don't print View>Normal or View>Pagebreak view will switch you forth and back. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:30:08 -0800, knifty <knifty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do you get to put these page numb...

Hyperlink parts
I have a spreadsheet with lots of hyperlinks, links to web sites. I would like to separate the link address from the display address. I would like to insert two columns after the hyperlink columns and put the address in one column and the display name in the other. The display name will come over simply by typing = and clicking on the hyperlink column. How can I do a similar thing with the hyperlink address? Thanks Saved from a previous post: One way to extract those URL's from a hyperlink created via Insert|Hyperlink is with a userdefinedfunction. Here's one that may help: Option...

Receiving duplicate emails

Duplicate, Duplicate, dupli ...

How do I duplicate numbering on a raffle?
I am creating an event ticket but would like to number the tickets on both the left and right sides of the ticket. Create a data base with your numbers. Use mail merge for the tickets. You can insert a mail merge field on both sides of your ticket. When you merge have one ticket on your screen. What version Publisher are you using. Some early versions of Publisher shows all the merge items the same in print preview. This is a Publisher bug. Mail, e-mail, and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Candi...

Combine Workbooks as separate worksheets
I lose column widths and row heights when I copy unto a new worksheet. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have four separate workbooks that need to be combined into one workbook but on a separate worksheet. I am using Microsoft Office XP, Excel 2002. Thanks, SAL Hi Sal You can use copy pastespecial (column width) line for the columns But there is no option for rows. If all the rows have the same row height then it is easy to do also. See also http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm If you need help with the pastespecial code line post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebru...

Automating a Worksheet
I have a lengthy worksheet which requires a single numerical input on A1 and it produces a single numerical output on F30. It has numerous formulas. I would like to apply this operation to a series of input data listed on, say, cells M1 to M20 and to produce related results on cells N1 to N20. Is there a simple way to achieve this? A "One variable data table" should do this for you To get a quick n easy hang of using it/setting it up, here's a link to a blast from my past archives: http://cjoint.com/?dwamPHboMz One_variable_data_table_example.xls Inspiring? Hit...

How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access table
How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access Table? Where "non-identical" duplicate record means a record in the table that has slightly different datum in one of the fields, but an identical duplicate datum in the field that I am concerned with. For example: SSN MRN CLIENT NAME 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane T 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane Thompson The data of these two records in the fields SSN and MRN are identical; but "non-identical" in the CLIENT NAME field (notice...

Duplicate ItemLookupcode
Any clues on how I could get duplicate itemlookupcodes?? I found a few of them recently. No SQL queries have been run to generate them and if I try to create a duplicate itemLookupCodes I am stopped with a message telling me to use a unique name. How could they have gotten in the database? Any clues, boos or comments appreciated. Thanks for all the help! Jamie W This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C755DB.F64982C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable As you mentioned, RMS Manager doesn't ...

Protect a worksheet in Excel2000
When I use the protect function in Excel XP, it provides a lot o options to choose. E.G. I can choose to enable an user to format row after the sheet's protected., i.e. hide/unhide. Can I do something similar in Excel 2000? :eek -- Jason ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Jasons's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27554 Sorry but No. Excel XP saw the introduction of all those features and they are not available in earlier versions...

emailing worksheet & merge
When someone emails me their spreadsheet with the same headers as I have, is there any way to show their names and addresses in a color so they'll stand out from mine better? Excel2000 Thanks, bb ...

How? compare two worksheets and identify rows of data that appear on both.
Ok, Suppose I have 2 worksheets. Sheet 1 has 1000 lines of data spanning xNumber of columns. Sheet 2 has 500 lines of data, also spanning the same number of columns. An unknown number of identical lines of data appear on both sheets. How can I get to a point where I can build one worksheet that is a composite of both sheets - such that no identical line of data appears twice on the final sheet? Thanks in advance, Simon. You could do this several ways. It really depends on your data integrity and what sort of data it is. -- Use a VLOOKUP OR INDEX/MATCH formula to compare the 500 row...

Print Worksheet Contents
is there a way to print the contents of a worksheet? Say I change the prices of 20 items and I want to print new shelf labels. Or I want to notify my remote stores of those price changes. After your worksheet has issued (and maybe before) - you can open it, go to Contents tab> right Click> Copy As Table> OK (on copied to clipboard)> Open Excel or similar> Paste. Unfortunately - there is not an import function on the label wizard. You can however filter the wizard for the Last Updated date. -- Jocelyn "Amy" wrote: > is there a way to print the content...

Find duplicates in a column
Hi, I have 6000 emails addresses in a col and wish to know if there are any duplicates. How can I do this please. I have Excel 2002. rock Assuming your emails are in A1 to A6000, in B1 enter =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6000,A1) copy down B1 all the way to B6000 Apply a conditional format of red pattern on cells B1 to B6000 where Cell is greater than 1 and all duplicates will be shown in red. "rock" wrote: > Hi, > > I have 6000 emails addresses in a col and wish to know if there are any > duplicates. > > How can I do this please. > > I have Excel 2002. > ...

Duplicates!
Why do the songs in my media player library often duplicate or tripulicate themselves, so i end up with a library three times the size it should be. I have on occassions gone through and deleted all the replicated songs, but over a period of time they seem to "grow again" filling my library again with unwanted duplicates, taking up more space and memory. Is there anyway i can stop this happening????? Thanks. What version of WMP/Windows? First, make sure that WMP isn't monitoring the same folder twice. Duplicate songs can appear when, for example, both C:\Music a...

duplicate emails received
I've been receiving duplicate emails. This doesn't happen with all the emails I receive, only with some of them. "Leave a copy on the server" is not checked. I don't know the reason why this happens. Can somebody help me. Thanks in advance. ...

Way to make non-selectable worksheet?
I have a spreadsheet with 4 form buttons on it that will run different macros. Is there any way to make it so the user can't click on any part of the worksheet except for the buttons? I don't want a message to pop up, I just want Excel to ignore if the user tries to click on anything except the buttons. Thanks! Botman, A couple of possibilities: You could protect the sheet (Tools - Protection - Protect Sheet. You'll want no locked cells (Format - Cells - Protection - Locked). In Excel 2002, you can specify that locked cells cannot be selected. Can't do that in XL97...

Jump to part of Validation List
I have a cell with Validation from a list. How do I make it so that when the user hits say the 'h' key when the validation list is displayed, the list jumps to the first entry that begins with 'h' ? *Note: Posted this same question in Excel Programming, but then found this forum. I thought the question may have been too basic for the techie programmers. You can't do it with Data|Validation. But maybe a combobox from the Control toolbox toolbar would work for you.... Metro wrote: > > I have a cell with Validation from a list. How do I make it so that when t...

RM00401 duplicated document numbers
Hi everyone, We are using version 10.00 There are some batches that don't post correctly. When the posting process begins, is getting stuck in some point in the progress and crashes. When we search in the tables, the documents appear in both WORK and HIST SOPs. This case has ocurred before, so, what we do is search and be sure that the GL accounts are ok, affecting the right amounts and then, delete the transaction of the WORK table. The problem we have now, is that every time the batch is trying to post, creates a docnumbr in the RM00401 with the same number and 0's added. For exam...

worksheet tab name from list
Hello On my first worksheet there is a list of names. I would like these names to come in the tab of the following worksheets because for every person in the list there is a seperate worksheet with data and calculations. i.e. worksheet with list of names = LIST. 2nd worksheet=John, 3rd worksheet=Mary, according to the list on the LIST-worksheet. Is this possible? Thank you for any kind of help. Chris To just add new blank sheets with names based upon a list. Sub Add_Sheets() Dim rCell As Range For Each rCell In Range("A1:A20") With Worksheets.Add(After:=Worksheets(Work...