Duplicate Records #2

I am not real proficient in Excel but received a large (18,000+) file
from Data Processing in Excel to use for a mailing.  My question is, I
need to find duplicate addresses and delete those before I do the
mailing.  I work for the school district, so many families have more
than one child in the district and they only need to receive one
letter.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Kristy

--
Kristy
Kristy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37546

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm not one of the experts here, but I've had the same situation.  This is
what I did...

First, sort your sheet by address.  Then in a column to the right of the
address enter this formula (assuming A2 is first address):

=IF(A2=A1,0,A2)
paste down the entire length...
then resort by column B
delete your zeros (0)

That should help...

"Kristy" wrote:

> I am not real proficient in Excel but received a large (18,000+) file
> from Data Processing in Excel to use for a mailing.  My question is, I
> need to find duplicate addresses and delete those before I do the
> mailing.  I work for the school district, so many families have more
> than one child in the district and they only need to receive one
> letter.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristy
>

> --
> Kristy
> Kristy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37546
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571809

0
Jennifer1 (141)
8/15/2006 3:53:01 PM
Kristy Wrote:
> I am not real proficient in Excel but received a large (18,000+) fil
> from Data Processing in Excel to use for a mailing.  My question is,
> need to find duplicate addresses and delete those before I do th
> mailing.  I work for the school district, so many families have mor
> than one child in the district and they only need to receive on
> letter.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristy
Hi Kirsty,

Have a look at Data > Filter > Auto filter, this may help

oldchippy :

--
oldchipp
oldchippy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1990

ASAP Utilities, which is a free add-in easily found by Googling "ASAP
Utilities," makes this an easy job.

After installing the add-in, highlight the range that includes your lists,
and go to "ASAP Utilities/Information/Count Duplicates in Selection." This
will color the cells that contain duplicate data (regardless of order) and
give you a count of duplicates. Easy as pie.

Incidently, this is exactly the answer I gave to a posting several days
ago. You can often find answers to your questions by searching in the forum
-- also easy as pie: Just type a key word like "duplicates" in the search box
above.

"Kristy" wrote:

> I am not real proficient in Excel but received a large (18,000+) file
> from Data Processing in Excel to use for a mailing.  My question is, I
> need to find duplicate addresses and delete those before I do the
> mailing.  I work for the school district, so many families have more
> than one child in the district and they only need to receive one
> letter.  Is there a way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kristy
>

> --
> Kristy
> Kristy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37546
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571809

0
traveller (56)

Permanent Failure: Other address status #2
Howdy, I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email randomly... > The following addresses had delivery problems: > > <user@domain.com> > Permanent Failure: Other address status > Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000 My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line. I have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as well and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt a symantec respo...

Merging Customer Records
I have two customer records that I need to merge into one. How do you do this? I am using version 8.0. I looked in help, however I can't find anything on the subject. Also does it merge the history info as well? Thank you! Jeremy Jeremy, There is a utility you can buy from Microsoft through your Great Plains partner called Customer Combiner - it does exactly what you're asking. Without it, the only way would be to manually transfer either the balance or the individual open transactions from one customer to the other. There really isn't too much you can do for hist...

Syncing 2 different WM Smart phones with separate info with one PC
Hi How can I set up Outlook 2003 so that two separate users can work with their individual calendars, contacts, tasks and sync only their info into their respective Windows Mobile 5.0 phones? One user is coming from the Palm OS. That info was successfully imported into outlook using intellisync lite. A separate profile was setup for the second user. The problem is that one profile has multiple calendars, contacts and tasks, and I can not tell what will sync to where. HELP! Thank You ...

pulling info from 2 cels
What I am trying to do is have one cell read two other cells to determine if a bonus was earned. Here is what I need: I need to have cell c1 read cell a1 and see if it is greater than 9, also it needs to see if cell b1 is greater or equal to 1. If both cell match then c1 should read $50.00, if not it is $0. Thanks in advance :rolleyes: Mike Manick -- manickmj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ manickmj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8870 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?th...

Catch all email address #2
Hello Is it possible to setup a catch all email address, I would like to setup a inbox that catches all the email address set to the @domain.org.uk. Is it possible to do this? Regards Andrew Dear Andrew, what do you mean by catch ? do you want to setup a mailbox to recieve all the emails sent and recieved by @domain.org.uk ? do you mean archiving ? regards Alaa Al-Ankar "Andrew" <not@home.com> wrote in message news:44381ff6$0$33909$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net... > Hello > > Is it possible to setup a catch all email address, > > I would like...

Vlookup query that checks 2 conditions
I've posted this before without too much luck so here it goes again... I'm trying to automate the creation of a vendor report that lists al vendor sales. Basically I need a formula that, based on a unique vendo number, will: - check colomn A for the vendor number match - then check column B to see if there is a buyer number (which mean that the item is sold) - then dumps then 'nth' occurance of the value / text from the column specify (8) I'm currrently using the formula: {=IF(Catalog!B2:B428 0,INDEX(VendorReportData,SMALL(IF(VendorReportData=$N$13,ROW(Catalog!$A$2:$...

Outlook 07 on Vista: 2 Different User Calenders Viewed Together?
My wife and I use Vista on separate user accounts. We're both set up as administrators. We also are using Outlook 2007 for our own calender/scheduling. Is there a way to view the calenders together, as ONE? Is the only way to do this to set up one user account we're both configured to? Any help greatly appreciated. ZaveyZipper <das216at_comcast.net> wrote: > My wife and I use Vista on separate user accounts. We're both set up > as administrators. We also are using Outlook 2007 for our own > calender/scheduling. > > Is there a way to view the calende...

MS RMS 1.2 or QuickSell barcode type database values
Hello, a member of the newsgroups was kind enough to send me a copy of the QSCImp.exe, so I could transition my database over and it worked very well. However, rather than hand set the 10,000 items I have with the barcode type (as I use Interleaved 2 of 5, UPCA, EAN13, UPCE and Code 39), I was hoping that someone had the nomenclature that would allow me to pre-set the Barcode type based on my barcode number values. I know my 11 digits are UPCA, so with a little bit of IF/THEN I could easily set a database field value of UPCA. Could someone enlighten me as to what RMS/QuickSell is looking for ...

Exchange 2003 Server
I have one Exchange Server 2003 (Enterprise) running on Windows Server 2003. I have two problems and was looking for tips to try and correct them. 1. We have mailbox quotas and our users are getting messages in their Inbox that they have approached or exceeded their limits. However, if you go to Outlook, right click on Outlook Today, and then check on the folder size, they are no where near the quota limit. I have raised their limit in the interim and have read that running ISINTEG on the dismounted store will correct this. I just wanted to make sure that I am on the right track. 2. Th...

insert worksheet #2
The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? Hi Sue in VBA you could use the following macro: sub insert_after() ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet end sub you may apply a button to this macro. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sue wrote: > The default for inserting a new worksheet is to the left. > Is there a way to have worksheets inserted to the right? put this macro in your personal.xls file and attach it to a keyboard shortcut or toolbar button. Public Sub InsertSheetToRight() ...

Report Error in Microsoft CRM 1.2
In the Event Viewer there is the problem: MSCRM Platform Error Report: ----------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------- Error: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to log into crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to communicate with crystallogon.csp Error Message: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to log into crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to communicate with crystallogon.csp Error Details: Detail...

Adding ore licenses to MSCRM 1.2
Hi, We have MSCRM 1.2 configured in our organization with 10 licenses.Recently we have got 10 more licenses and we need to add these to the current MSCRM server 1.2 server. What is the procedure to do that. Regards, Raju Hi, You can use the deployment manager to do this. The deployment manager contains a license manager where you can add and edit licenses. Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlands "Raju" wrote: > Hi, > > We have MSCRM 1.2 configured in our organization > with 10 licenses.Recently we have got 10 more licenses and we need > to add the...

Find & replace #2
Here is my little problem: 1st spreadsheet =============== Column A | Column B ---------+---------- AAA(Tab) | 80001 BBB(Tab) | 80002 CCC(Tab) | 80003 XXX(Tab) | 80004 YYY(Tab) | 80005 ZZZ(Tab) | 80006 2nd spreadsheet =============== Column A -------- AAA AAA AAA AAA BBB BBB BBB BBB CCC CCC YYY YYY ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ XXX XXX Expected result: ---------------- 2nd spreadsheet =============== Column A -------- 80001 80001 80001 80001 80002 80002 80002 80002 80003 80003 80005 80005 80006 80006 80006 80004 80004 I need to translate column A in the 2nd spreadsheet to numbers from the 1st s...

sending dvd recording
If you make a recording on a dvd, how do you send them by e-mail or store it. A recording has to be on your computer to send it via e-mail, not on a DVD. Also size is an issue. There are upload sites like PhotoBucket for pictures and videos. I have no idea what you mean by "or store it". -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "terry uldriks" <terry uldriks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1912B5B4-AC6A-4B7E-A190-F03E9E5D1F4F@microsoft.com... > If you make a recording on a dvd, how do you send...

CRM Beta 3.0
OK in Outlook, perhaps I have missed something. You can open a single record and then from the Actions menu, choose Assign. But what if I want to choose multiple Accounts, then assign them to someone else. When I select multiple items, the More Actions menu only shows Sharing... no Assign. If I have to reassign a larger number of contacts say 15 - 20, do I have to do them one at a time or is there a fast multi-select way to so this re-assignment? Thanks! Shauna Create a manual workflow rule that Assigns them to whoever you want, select the accounts you want to assign and choose Appl...

ThumbnailCache.dll #2
please can someone advise on how to get the above dll back, i seem to have deleted it and i keep getting this dll in a error message. running xp, have used service books 2 disc and have restored system. ...

Online Stock Trading Guide and How the Stock Market Works #2
Here you can learn more about investing, and some specifics about trading . You'll also find a wide range of investing products and services to help you plan toward financial independence - however you define it. http://flying-rugs.com/stock-market/ ...

Pivot Table Data #2
I am using Excel 2003 and my pivot chart is working fine. I have multiple data points in the data field. My problem is I would like it to chart all of the points, not the average like I am currently using. The pivot table is setup on a line chart currently. Thank you for your help in advance, I know that there is a simple answer but I am missing it some where. Tim Hi, Pivot charts plot what Pivot tables display. So the problem is not in your chart but in the pivot table. You must set it up so it display all your point. We don't have enough info to tell you have to do it. If th...

split records
Hi I have more than 10000 records in one column , example: ....... |16 Volt - Skin [1994]| |16 Volt - Supercoolnothing [1998]| |20 Dead Flower Children - Candy, Toy, Guns & Television [1997]| |3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun [2002]| |3 Doors Down - Better Life [2000]| |A - Hi-Fi Serious [2002]| |A.T.C. - Planet Pop [2001]| |AC DC - Back In Black [1980]| |AC DC - Ballbreaker [1995]| |AC DC - Flick Of The Switch [1983]| |AC DC - Fly On The Wall [1985]| .......... and i need to split this records in 3 columns: Artist | Album | Year maybe someone can help me ... -- Message posted from ht...

Pin Pad #2
Is there any USB pin pad avaiable for RMS2.0 I cant ad serial because I dont extra serial port . -- Thank You Harjit SherGill /DBA Altaville Market 324 South Main st po box 370 Altaville CA 95221 Tel : 209-729-1403 vendaliajat@yahoo.com Please see the older post which should have an answer for you... http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.pos/browse_thread/thread/a8c3c7ceca69dca6/5deba135476caebf On Aug 21, 8:48 pm, "Gill" <g...@goldrush.com> wrote: > Is there any USB pin pad avaiable for RMS2.0 > I cant ad serial because I dont extra serial port . > &...

Vanishing emails #2
Hi When downloading messages from a mailbox hosted by my ISP, on occasions Outlook indicates that it is downloading 1 or more messages, but they vanish (do not end up in the inbox of Outlook). Any thoughts gratefully appreciated. Ed. rules moving them somewhere? junk mail filter or antivirus filter catching them before outlook gets them? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.c...

Does anyone know the PivotTable Refresh Event? #2
Thank you Debra it worked fine for me -- JohnD'Eli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- JohnD'Elia's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1531 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26930 You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know that it worked. JohnD'Elia wrote: > Thank you Debra it worked fine for me. > > -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Looking for really good duplicate image finder
I seached this forum on keywords associated with my topic and no hits. Perhaps there are more appropriate sources of recommendations, and if so inform me. I have downloaded a few trial/evaluation versions of utilities that search for duplicate images; JPGs . Some claim that they will find visually similar images in addition to those that are binarily identical. I have tried to use Running Man Software's DIF, and some others. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a good tool. I have not found one that has a really good interface and functionality that suits me....

Entry Form Allows page up and page to scroll through records
This seams like a simple question... I have a form that opens to a new entry. This form allows the user to use the page up and page down keys to navigate through the records already entered. Is there a way to disable the page up and page down navigation in a form? It is possible. Set the form's KeyPreview property to Yes. Then examine the value of the keypress in the form's KeyDown event, and destroy the keystroke (by setting it to zero) if it is vbKeyPageUp or vbKeyPageDown. Of course, you are now destroying built-in functionality, so you need to have a pretty good...

How do I use the "More Details" in a newsletter? #2
In Publisher 2003, you can create emails directly. The templates have a place for a short intro to an article with a place to click to get the rest of the article. How do I use that feature? The "More Details" is no doubt an area where you add a hyperlink to a place where folks can get more details. Send e-mail http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8198CBA9-E37C-48F3...