Duplicate cells #4

I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc.
there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and
I am looking for the best way to accomplish this.

I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to
point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks

0
dmachen35 (85)
10/9/2006 9:29:22 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You could try to use Advanced Filter to get rid of the duplicates.
Ensure that you have headers in row 1 (Name, Address_1, Address_2 etc)
and highlight all the data including the headers. Then click Data |
Filter | Advanced Filter and in the pop up click Unique Records only.
Click OK and your list will be reduced.

This may not get rid of them all - if you have a Mr A Smith, Antony
Smith, Tony Smith etc who all live at the same address, these will be
treated as unique records. Similarly, if you have 21 High St and 21
High Street, these will not be recognised as being the same address.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Richard Mahan wrote:
> I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc.
> there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and
> I am looking for the best way to accomplish this.
>
> I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to
> point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks

0
pashurst (2576)
10/9/2006 11:18:03 PM
ASAP Utilities, which is a free add-in easily found by Googling "ASAP
Utilities," makes this an easy job.

After installing the add-in, highlight the range that includes your lists,
and go to "ASAP Utilities/Information/Count Duplicates in Selection." This
will color the cells that contain duplicate data (regardless of order) and
give you a count of duplicates. Easy as pie.

Incidently, this is exactly the answer I gave to a posting just a few days
ago. You can often find answers to your questions by searching in the forum
-- also easy as pie: Just type a key word like "duplicates" in the search box
above.

"Richard Mahan" wrote:

> I have an excel spreadsheet of approximately 1500 Names,addressses etc.
> there are many duplicate cells of which I want to delete the duplicates and
> I am looking for the best way to accomplish this.
>
> I am new to excel and using formulas but if there is a way to use color to
> point out the duplicates, that would be very helpfull, thanks

0
traveller (56)

Duplicates

Paste Special drops cells from Word and Excell
Our church is using Publisher 2003 to do our bulletin and newsletter. When we try and use Paste Special to paste the calendar from Word 2003, it drops the last row of cells bottom of calendar (they do not show up in Publisher). If we go back to Word 2003, new document, and paste, everything is there. The same thing happens when we try to Paste Special from Excel 2003. It drops the last column of the Excel sheet. Any suggestions on how to fix this? The calendar and Excel sheet are put together by another individual ( not the secretary) and emailed to the church office. The secre...

Shared Workbooks #4
I am sharing a workbook across a network. Sometimes it seems that when a user quits out their session is not ended. ie: we end up with the shared workbook showing as being open several times by one user. Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Thanks ...

think cell program
is anyone familiar with a program called think cell? Any thoughts? (powerpoint v 2003). Is this an add-in? thanks Sara It's very good. You can "try for free" from their website: http://www.think-cell.com/ Recent interview with one of the founders on Indezine: http://blog.indezine.com/2009/12/think-cell-conversation-with-markus.html -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2010? http://www.echosvoice.com/2010.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://tinyurl.com/36grcd PowerPoint 2007 Complete Makeover Kit http://tinyurl.com/3...

If .NET 4.0 is new.....
If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0 up to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed? -- Tim. The comments I've seen in other places say you must have the previous versions installed or 4.0 won't install and/or run. "Tim Munro" <Excelsior@Liamtoh.moc> wrote in message news:%235gAFT46KHA.5708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If .NET 4.0 is a completely new framework, will anything compiled for 1.0 > up to 3.5 work with only 4.0 installed? > > -- > Tim. > > "Jerry" <ChiefZekeNoSpam@...

Sum range of cells with VBA
Hi all, I need to add a range of cells with VBA whose length which varies each time. Within my code I have written the following. Although I can locate the last cell address within the range the sum function does not return the value. Can someone please correct my code or tell me what i am doing wrong. ' Total Debit and Credit columns Dim TtlDr As Double Dim TtlCr As Double Dim LastRowDr As Range Dim LastRowCr As Range Set LastRowDr = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets ("Datasheet")...

Cant merge cell
When I merge two cells , the contents of which are X and Y, I get only one X in the merged cell. Worthless... I would like to get XY This is not possible in Excel, but if you wish you can use this formula in another cell, If X is in cell A1 and Y is in cell B1, you can write this formula in any cell: =CONCATENATE(A1,B1) I am no expert, maybe somebody else can come up with a better solution Regards "Dadada" wrote: > When I merge two cells , the contents of which are X and Y, I get only one X > in the merged cell. Worthless... > I would like to ge...

MS Excel VBA Pivot table link cell fetch records
I have a table 'tbl_Final' in MS Access 2007 where the data is used and cached in a pivot table found in the 'Data' worksheet in MS Excel 2007. In this MS Excel 2007 workbook, I have various worksheets reports which links to the pivot table values found 'Data' worksheet. I linked formulae in one of the cells found the worksheet reports, looks like this: =GETPIVOTDATA("Amount",Data!$B$4,"Month", 2,"Year","2008","Scenario","Budget") Lets say the cell value total is: 1000 So, In pivot: 1000 ...

Receiving duplicate emails

Combination Chart #4
Hello I am working in Excel 2003, and I would like to make a combination chart. I have 4 data series. I would like 2 of these series to be a regular column chart, and the other 2 series to be combined (in the same chart) into a stacked column chart. Two of the series (example value is 14 & 27) equal one of the other series which is 41. Is is possible to combine a column chart and a stacked column chart? Thank You Hi sue, Take a look at Jon's example for creating clustered stacks. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy sue t wrote: > Hell...

Duplicate, Duplicate, dupli ...

How do I duplicate numbering on a raffle?
I am creating an event ticket but would like to number the tickets on both the left and right sides of the ticket. Create a data base with your numbers. Use mail merge for the tickets. You can insert a mail merge field on both sides of your ticket. When you merge have one ticket on your screen. What version Publisher are you using. Some early versions of Publisher shows all the merge items the same in print preview. This is a Publisher bug. Mail, e-mail, and catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/CH100502901033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Candi...

How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access table
How to delete "non-identical" duplicate records in an Access Table? Where "non-identical" duplicate record means a record in the table that has slightly different datum in one of the fields, but an identical duplicate datum in the field that I am concerned with. For example: SSN MRN CLIENT NAME 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane T 001-00-2222 11170419 Smith, Jane Thompson The data of these two records in the fields SSN and MRN are identical; but "non-identical" in the CLIENT NAME field (notice...

How do I color one cell and have another cell get same color
I want to assign a yellow color to either of 2 cells and have a seperate cell turn the same color As far as I know, Excel does not recognize a color change as an event to which it will react. The same for Conditional Formatting. Perhaps you can work with the condition that drives you to color either of those 2 cells. Post back and provide more info on what you have and what you want to have. HTH Otto "glassman" <glassman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5B1B2B1-A641-4EC3-809A-5F91E16EE46E@microsoft.com... > I want to assign a yellow colo...

How do I get brackets in format cells accounting?
In Excel 2000, "format cells accounting" got me brackets around negative numbers. Excel 2003 gives me a negative sign. Is there any to change this? I know I can get the format I want in custom, but this seems to require formatting each cell. Highlight all the desired cells. Right click and select Format Cells. From the Number tab you can select the desired view. "allan" wrote: > In Excel 2000, "format cells accounting" got me brackets around negative > numbers. Excel 2003 gives me a negative sign. Is there any to change this? > I know I c...

Duplicate ItemLookupcode
Any clues on how I could get duplicate itemlookupcodes?? I found a few of them recently. No SQL queries have been run to generate them and if I try to create a duplicate itemLookupCodes I am stopped with a message telling me to use a unique name. How could they have gotten in the database? Any clues, boos or comments appreciated. Thanks for all the help! Jamie W This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C755DB.F64982C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable As you mentioned, RMS Manager doesn't ...

Split cells
Is it possible to split a cell diagonally and put seperate information in each half? thanks -- "Rent a villa in Turkey" http://www.rent-in-turkey.com/html/home.htm I guess you could type something, use alt + enter a few times, type something again, pad with some spaces and use format>cells>border to insert a diagonal border. However I would strongly suggest you use multiple cells like A1 and B2, then maybe something from the drawing tools to insert a diagonal line from A2 to B1 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Portland, Oregon "Scudo" <me...

Duplicates!
Why do the songs in my media player library often duplicate or tripulicate themselves, so i end up with a library three times the size it should be. I have on occassions gone through and deleted all the replicated songs, but over a period of time they seem to "grow again" filling my library again with unwanted duplicates, taking up more space and memory. Is there anyway i can stop this happening????? Thanks. What version of WMP/Windows? First, make sure that WMP isn't monitoring the same folder twice. Duplicate songs can appear when, for example, both C:\Music a...

Find duplicates in a column
Hi, I have 6000 emails addresses in a col and wish to know if there are any duplicates. How can I do this please. I have Excel 2002. rock Assuming your emails are in A1 to A6000, in B1 enter =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6000,A1) copy down B1 all the way to B6000 Apply a conditional format of red pattern on cells B1 to B6000 where Cell is greater than 1 and all duplicates will be shown in red. "rock" wrote: > Hi, > > I have 6000 emails addresses in a col and wish to know if there are any > duplicates. > > How can I do this please. > > I have Excel 2002. > ...

Maximum Number of Cell Formats
My company uses very large spreadsheets to confrom to goverment requirements. Recently we have run into a Warning message when we try to insert a new column. It says we've used up all the cell formats, so we can't add any new cells. The Microsoft documentation seems to indicate that the maximum number of cell formats is 4000. I guess we're hitting that limit and Excel won't let us enter anymore data. How do I increase the max number of cell formats? How do I find out how many I've used already? How do I delete ones I'm not using (Excel seems to "hang on&quo...

Format a cell with numbers and user defined text
I want to format a cell that will take user defined numbers and text in the following format: 12345678-A Another example would be: 23454368-X The numbers, dash, and text refer to Medicaid identification numbers and I want to be able to have a constant format when these values are entered. ...

duplicate emails received
I've been receiving duplicate emails. This doesn't happen with all the emails I receive, only with some of them. "Leave a copy on the server" is not checked. I don't know the reason why this happens. Can somebody help me. Thanks in advance. ...