Duff Date Text

Excel 2002 SP3.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of date trouble.

I have a cell (assume A1) with a date in it.  The cell is formatted: Custom
mmmm yyyy and shows the date as 'April 2009'.

If I format the cell as a number, the date serial number shows as '39908'

I have another cell (assume B1) formatted as 'General' that I want to put
some text in to include the month extracted from the date in cell A1.

Formula:

="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm")

However, this gives me a text line in B1 that reads:

'VAT Calculation for January'

I kinda expected 'April', rather than 'January'.

If I use the following formula instead:

="VAT Calculation for Month " & MONTH(A1)

The text line in B1 reads:

'VAT Calculation for Month 4'

Any idea why month 4 is translating as 'January', rather than 'April'?

TIA
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your

0
brassic (2)
10/20/2009 6:12:45 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

>="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm")
>Any idea why month 4 is translating as 'January', rather than 'April'?

Remove the MONTH function:

="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(A1,"mmmm")

The MONTH function returns a number from 1 to 12. In your case it's
returning 4 (month number for April). The TEXT function is evaluating the
number 4 as the date serial number 4 which is January 4 1900. So:

TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm") = January

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Razoo" <brassic@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2002 SP3.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of date trouble.
>
> I have a cell (assume A1) with a date in it.  The cell is formatted:
> Custom mmmm yyyy and shows the date as 'April 2009'.
>
> If I format the cell as a number, the date serial number shows as '39908'
>
> I have another cell (assume B1) formatted as 'General' that I want to put
> some text in to include the month extracted from the date in cell A1.
>
> Formula:
>
> ="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm")
>
> However, this gives me a text line in B1 that reads:
>
> 'VAT Calculation for January'
>
> I kinda expected 'April', rather than 'January'.
>
> If I use the following formula instead:
>
> ="VAT Calculation for Month " & MONTH(A1)
>
> The text line in B1 reads:
>
> 'VAT Calculation for Month 4'
>
> Any idea why month 4 is translating as 'January', rather than 'April'?
>
> TIA
> --
> Mike
> -Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your
> reply-

0
biffinpitt (3171)
10/20/2009 6:23:53 PM
T. Valko wrote:

> >="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm")
>>Any idea why month 4 is translating as 'January', rather than 'April'?
>
> Remove the MONTH function:
>
> ="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(A1,"mmmm")
>
> The MONTH function returns a number from 1 to 12. In your case it's
> returning 4 (month number for April). The TEXT function is evaluating the
> number 4 as the date serial number 4 which is January 4 1900. So:
>
> TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm") = January
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP

Thanks Biff, I suspected it might be pilot error!

So in effect I was evaluating the 'Month' function twice - once on the date
number 39908 using 'Month', which gave me '4', and again on the previous
result '4' using 'Text' & 'mmm', which gave me 'January'.

Thanks for your help.
--

> T. Valko wrote:
>>
>> >="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm")
>>>Any idea why month 4 is translating as 'January', rather than 'April'?
>>
>> Remove the MONTH function:
>>
>> ="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(A1,"mmmm")
>>
>> The MONTH function returns a number from 1 to 12. In your case it's
>> returning 4 (month number for April). The TEXT function is evaluating the
>> number 4 as the date serial number 4 which is January 4 1900. So:
>>
>> TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm") = January
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> Thanks Biff, I suspected it might be pilot error!
>
> So in effect I was evaluating the 'Month' function twice - once on the
> date number 39908 using 'Month', which gave me '4', and again on the
> previous result '4' using 'Text' & 'mmm', which gave me 'January'.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> Mike
> -Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your
> reply-

0
biffinpitt (3171)

Can't open this item. The end date you entered occurs before the start date.
Hi, Everytime I open Outlook 2000 I get a calender pop-up. When I Dismiss it I get a message such as the above and the next time I open Outlook it appears again. I can't see it in the Calender unless I change the view to "By category". I can't delete it or change the date in this view. I just keep getting the above message (see subject line). I tried /cleanreminders and the MS article about Daylight savings but neither work. How do I get rid of this message? I do have a Pocket PC and probably the error occured during a Sync (i have different time zones). ...

Date Range
Using SQL 2005 Is there a way to query a date range with only one date provided? The date field is a timestamp with mm/dd/yyyy mm:ss. User provides date from a dropdown list on a form - example 12/01/2009. We want to provide all records that fall in the month of Dec 2009. SELECT [DATE] FROM tbl WHERE [DATE] >= '12/01/2009' ??? How to get just the dates for that month? Your help is greatly appreciated -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/201002/1 You can calculate range from first of the mont...

cannot center text, locked in align left mode?
This is odd, not sure if it has ever happened, but my text is locked in "align left" mode. When the cell is highlighted the center alignment boxes are highlighted both vertically and horizontally. When I go into Format Cells, Alignment, it shows they are Horizontal and Vertical centered. But....they are clearly aligned left in the column. Is something locked I don't see? All are in the General category under Format Cells, Number. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Silverlight Toolkit: Autocomplete TextBox Stock Symbols and Chart http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tut...

Compare two dates
Hi,. I would like to compare two dates in the same row and return a true or false statement. How do I do this? Could you please elaborate your query. Do you mean? With dates in A1 and B1 =IF(A1=B1,"dates are same","dates are not the same") If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Dave" wrote: > Hi,. I would like to compare two dates in the same row and return a true or > false statement. > > How do I do this? =A1=B1 -- David Biddulph "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Form and default dates
Related to my question below.... I'm setting up a form to filter results of a query, I'm trying to set default dates (at the least so when you open the form nothing will be filtered by default, at the best I'd like to be able to open the form directly without it prompting me to enter values for the filters and just show everything by default) At any rate I have 2 issues now. First no matter what I put in Default Value for my date entry boxes on my filtering form, 12/30/1899 shows up in both. Second as soon as I click in one of the boxes to enter a date it changes ...

Select Date based on date value
Is there a formula where I could select a date based on a condition? here is a scenario of what I want the formula to do: I have 3 dates: start date,end date, and invoice date, let's assume that the start dat is 9/7/2005, end date is 10/6/2005 and invoice date is 10/8/2005. no even though the invoice was sent on 10/8/2005, I would like to identif this month as september because the bulk of the month fell on september I guess the rule would be(per example above): per example above: if starting month >= 09/20 then select 10/2005 else month < 9/20 then select 9/2005 so if the 20th...

Dates in templates
I want to change my normal template so the header displays the new document creation date without updating. That is, when I create a new document, the date should be the date the document is created, but does not get updated every time I open the document. When I use the createdate field, the date displayed is the date the template was created, not the new document! If you've put a CreateDate field in your template, then that's the best you can do, short of a macro (which I think would be overkill). When you update fields (with F9 or by printing or switching to Print Prev...

can a text message be sent from Outlook?
I am interested in being able to send "blast" messages from Outlook as a text message to cell numbers. I have found an online service that offers this for a monthly subscription fee. Can it be done from Outlook? Yes, provided you have an addin or know the phone/pager email address. See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/pager.asp "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9AD9784-0DF8-4235-A748-879B167730B8@microsoft.com... > I am interested in being able to send "blast" messages from Outlook as a > text > message ...

Date Calculation
I have two fields in a query: "Date Completed" (mm/dd/yyyy) and "Time Used (hours)" (nn.n). I am trying to calculate a third "Date Started" that I want in the format mm/dd/yyyy. Assuming an eight-hour day, I am trying to use the expression [Date Completed] - [Time Used (hours)]/8, but I can't figure out which Date/Time functions to use to convert my dates and hours to the same units to do the calculation and then convert back to a date again. I am using Access 2007 and am not very competent with it. Thank you in advance for your help. One ...

extract date from the most current date
Hi I want to pull data from various spreadsheets but only for the current date. For example I have a numerous spreadsheets that contains data for 4/1, 4/2, 4/3...etc. This data is inputted daily for each date. There is specific data that I would like to pull from the most current date and so on into the future only getting data from the current date. I want to run a macro that pulls data from the most current date of each excel spreadsheet or automate the excel spreadsheet to pull from the most current date. Is this at all possible? ...

How to export text from Excel to Word #2
Hi, Someone has given me a whole text document written in Excel 2002 and I wish to use it in Word as a doc file. I have copy pasted it but the cells come over too. I can't unformat it so I can manipulate the text as I need to. Can I get the text as plain text without the cells or should I get him to write it all out again this time in Word? I have searched around but now need to ask the experts. Thanks Rock Paste special as text? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It is a good thing to follow the first law...

Version 9 release date yet?
How do we get V9 when it is released? We have maintiance agreement. Does Microsoft send us disks or can we download it? Or do we get it from our reseller. Do they have firm date yet? The firm date is Q1. Typically MBS will send you the disks, but it will most probably also be available for download on MSDN. But I do suggest that you contact your partner to help you with the upgrade, unless you have gone through a couple yourself. I have rescued many a customer site where inexperienced IT staff thought they can do it themselves. I am not saying that this is you, but they do it fo...

Spreading text into multiple rows
I am trying to split lengthy text in a cell into multiple rows so that it is roughly the same length in each row. E.g., I have pasted the following text from a web page into Excel 97 cell B5: Information and interactive calculators are made available to you as self-help tools for your independent use and are not intended to provide investment advice. We can not and do not guarantee their applicability or accuracy in regards to your individual circumstances. All examples are hypothetical and are for illustrative purposes. We encourage you to seek personalized advice from qualified professional...

Post date EFT payments
Hello All, Does anyone have access to this Techknowledge Document ID 33794? I am unable to locate it. We are on V10 and this is still an issue. Does anyone know if there is a fix? The only workarounds I can think of is changing the system date or manually changing the date on the upload file. Thanks Daniel "Joyce Furry" wrote: > Problem: The effective date of the batch pulls from the date the EFT file is > generated. The effective date of the batch SHOULD BE the check date of the > batch. > > Therefore, if we generate a file on Wednesd...

out of date file
I am trying to open an invoice spreadsheet. I have used it many times before but now I get a microsoft visual basic message "the file VBA332.dll is out of date. This program requires a newer version" It wont open. Any known resolutions??? ...

Duff Date Text
Excel 2002 SP3. Hi, I'm having a bit of date trouble. I have a cell (assume A1) with a date in it. The cell is formatted: Custom mmmm yyyy and shows the date as 'April 2009'. If I format the cell as a number, the date serial number shows as '39908' I have another cell (assume B1) formatted as 'General' that I want to put some text in to include the month extracted from the date in cell A1. Formula: ="VAT Calculation for " & TEXT(MONTH(A1),"mmmm") However, this gives me a text line in B1 that reads: 'VAT Calculation for January...

a running sum (by date) in a query?
Is this possible? I have dates (some of which are the same) and I would like to use them to create a running sum of another column in my query. Is this possible? On Jul 24, 4:54 pm, grantschnei...@gmail.com wrote: > Is this possible? I have dates (some of which are the same) and I > would like to use them to create a running sum of another column in my > query. Is this possible? Sorry, not only do i need to create a running sum by date but it also has to be PER sales person. So even though all the sales people are in one table and I am querying the table different ways, I need to m...

Text date to date
Is there a function that will convert text dates (month, year) JULY, 2009 AUGUST, 2009 SEPTEMBER, 2009 to this: 7/1/2009 8/1/2009 9/1/2009 Thanks. You can use: =--SUBSTITUTE(A1,","," 1,") And then format the cell the way you like M/D/YYYY (and even convert the formula to values if you want to delete the original data) T2B wrote: > > Is there a function that will convert text dates (month, year) > > JULY, 2009 > AUGUST, 2009 > SEPTEMBER, 2009 > > to this: > > 7/1/2009 > 8/1/2009 > 9/1/2009 > > Thanks. -- Dave Peterson ...

Text almost invisable
Outlook 2k3, part of Ofc 2k3. I have a user who has one of the strangest problems I've seen in quite a while. As he types, trying to ocompose his email, the size is so small, as to be UNREADABLE. Seriously, it's so small, one absolutely can NOT read what is being typed. Outlook SAYS that the font is Arial, and the size is 10, but that is NOT what you see as you type. If you SEND the email, it's fine at destination. If you PRINT PREVIEW it before sending, you can read it, but Outlook does says that it's only 23%, not 100%. Both he and I have looked all over in Outlook to ...

filter by date and action

Transaction Date VS Business Date

What is the maximum text size in a cell
Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. How many characters/words Thanx. NED 1451 Hi the max is 1,024 characters. You can extend this limit by entering manual linebreaks withj aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "NED 1451" <NED 1451@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4ADB9C27-1E94-4843-87F7-794177BC86D2@microsoft.com... > Can anyone give me some info on the maximum text size you can put in a cell. > How many characters/words > > Thanx. > > NED 1451 Ned The maximum is 32,767 chara...

Post Dated Checks