dropdown list question

I am using an in-cell dropdown list that is populated from a vba string. I
have encountered a 255 character limit for the list of lookup items. Is
there any way around this other than using spreadsheet cells to store the
list values?

Thanks,

Keith

0
k31thb (18)
8/3/2005 8:52:17 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

The data validation list can come from a delimited list or a worksheet
range. You could store the list on a hidden sheet, if you don't want
users to accidentally change it.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Question
Can one create an autoreply on a public folder so that when a message is sent to it's smtp address, that a notification reciept is sent? A company I'm doing some consulting for is asking for this very thing, and I'm not sure if it can be done. Any ideas would be great! -L (From Outlook Help) Create or modify a rule for a public folder You must have Owner (Owner permission: With Owner permission you can create, read, modify, and delete all items and files and create subfolders. As folder owner, you can change the permission level that others have for the folder. This pe...

Design questions
I am extremely new (and pretty much entirely self-taught) to Access and think I should give some background to my questions. I'm currently working on a database (separate to the one I've posted about elsewhere - but similarly quite confusing!) that will be used to report a rubbish monitoring scheme. There will be basic data about each country and harbours involved which will only be updated as and when these change but there will also be waste tonnages and monitoring data (detailing the number of bits of each kind of garbage picked up) that need to be inputed monthly. The...

Create list to choose from
Hi, I'm just trying to create a short pulldown list in a spreadsheet. Instead of having to retype repetitve selections for this spreadsheet that gets used a lot, I'd like to create a pulldown list, but I'm not sure which kind of list to choose and I'm not sure how to enter the list. Can anyone help. Thanks a bunch. Diana Hi Dianah i'ld go with data / validation check out Debra Dalgleish's site for details http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html cheers JulieD "Dianah" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OLWdR3GWEHA.2716@tk2msftngp13.phx....

find a description in a list and add it in an other one
Hello, I would like to create a small vb code, to find a description in a list and add it in an other one... Let me explain my case : I have an excel spreadsheet with two sheets... The first one (sheet "result") contents a list like this one : D10993300 YG37 DistrDemand (Plnd.) D10385135 YG38 Total Demand D10387412 YT23 Dependent Demand D10385167 TE45 Total Demand This list can have a very variable size, One line or several thousands of line The second one, sheet "Dcode list" contents the description of ALL the code like "D10993300" D10383164 p...

beginner's question about Money 2007
Anybody knows how to keep Money 2007 data offline rather than online? When I added an account in Money 2007 software, I can see it by IE on moneycentral.msn.com, so I assume the information is stored online. Actually I don't mind if my positions etc are stored online, but don't want my credentials (user name, password, account number etc) are stored online. Is there a way to do so? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, My interest wrote: >Anybody knows how to keep Money 2007 data offline rather than online? >When I added an account in Money 2007 software, I can see it by IE on...

Outlook or Exchange question, About a BCC: recipient
I have been asked by one of my user who can see a BCC: recipient after the e-mail is sent. Example: I compose a group e-mail to 2 users external and 1 internal on the TO: line and the add 2 BCC: 1 internal and 1 external Does the originating server only add the recipient/code to the BCC: e-mail Rept thus preventing someone on the TO: recipient from looking at the headers? thanks >>I have been asked by one of my user who can see a BCC: recipient after the >>e-mail is sent. If he is the sender, the BCC will be retained in his sent items copy, but not be visible in the re...

Dropdown menu
How do I add a dropdown menu in my workbook? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html keisha wrote: > How do I add a dropdown menu in my workbook? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How do I create a scroll list of macro buttons?
I have created several buttons for different macros on one worksheet. How can I make some type of scroll list that contains each macro button? Place the buttons on a Toolbar which is activated when that worksheet is activated. Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() Application.CommandBars("new bar name").Visible = True End Sub Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate() Application.CommandBars("new bar name").Visible = False End Sub Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:15:04 -0800, "RobertM" <RobertM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created s...

Names Drop down list
I have version 2002 SP-2 Outlook. Also, under tools/options/email options/advanced email options, I have "suggest names while completing" and "automatic name checking" checked. I was recently moved from outlook express to Outlook. Now when I write a letter, when I start writing a name, nothing happens. When I start writing an email address, then I get a suggestion drop down list. , How do I get names to do that,. I had no problem in Outlook Express. ...

How do I create a dropdown within a dropdown?
I know how to create a dropdown list. On one or more of the items in that dropdown list, I would like to create another dropdown. How do I do this? The second list dependent on what was chosen in the first???? If you used Data|validation for your dropdown list, then you could visit Debra Dalgleish site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html Joyce Keller wrote: > > I know how to create a dropdown list. > On one or more of the items in that dropdown list, I would like to create > another dropdown. > How do I do this? -- Dave Peterson ...

TransferSpreadsheet question
I'm using the TransferSpreadsheet method to import an Excel spreadsheet into an Access 2007 table. I've set the SpreadsheetType parameter to acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9. This works when the spreadsheet is a .xls file, but the spreadsheet I'm importing is a .xlsm file. To make the code work I open the .xlsm file in Excel and then do a SaveAs where I can change the file type to .xls. This is not really an acceptable solution for end users of the application. Is there a way to import spreadsheets in the .xlsm format? Ken "Ken Warthen" <KenWarthen@discus...

DropDown
Need to be able to enter first several letters of a name and have the dropdown pick them up as I type in the name. Had it on a demo worksheet in my "learn" files BUT lost it somewhere. Please refer me to where I can pick up some samples to use.. Thank You.. Ensure the AutoWordSelect property of the combobox is set to true (default) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS www.nickhodge.co.uk "jlmccabes" <jlmccabes@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:kLxeh.9601$yj1.496@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... &...

background color of individual list items
I was wondering if someone might know if it is possible change the background color of a listbox so that one line was the default white and another line was some other color. If not, I guess I will have to use individual label controls for this. I would rather use a listbox though. Thanks, Roger You can do that if you set the owner draw flag. It is pretty easy. take a look these examples: http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/listbox/colorlistboxes/article.php/c4745/ http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/listbox/colorlistboxes/article.php/c1611/ What you would have to do is o...

DPM config question
All I've noticed in documemtation where it is necessary to have matching templates and features on the recovery farm as is in production. How can I do this without having a site collection installed? I thought templates had to go into a sites 'Site Gallery'. -- Many Thanks! Pete ...

NDR question #3
Hi, Exchange 2003 enterprise. I turned on recipient filter for default SMTP Virtual server. I still get a lot of NDR in BadMail folder. They are NDRs from my server notifying sender of 'no recipient' situation. Where can I turn it off completely, so emails for non existing user in my organization will not generate them. I still would like to generate other NDRs, like over the quota etc. Wlodek Did you enable it at both locations? 1)Open Exchange System Manager 2)Navigate to <your exchange organization> | Global Settings | Message Delivery 3)Right click on Message Deliver...

another question on printing invoices.
Thanks to a suggestion here, I was able to graph out the spaces on the invoices properly, but I ran into another snag, here's the situation: I am tryinhg to figure out a way to print invoices from an excell spreadsheet. The invoices are pre-formated with fields and logos and are on continuous paper that is fed into a dot matrix impact printer. It's NCR paper, an original and two copies. The rows of the spread sheet contain the data that needs to be in the invoice. Each row has customer information, ie, name, address, item bought, price per unit, number of units, sales tax, and t...

DropDown Buttons
Hi, I need to create a drop down button that will show a drop down menu when a user clicks it then allow the user to select an option from the dorp down menue. This needs to be a stand alone button that can be placed anywhere and not a menu button that must be part of a menu. Here is a link to an image of the type of button I am wanting to create http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/2304/dropdownbutton9cp.jpg If anyone has any suggestions or knows of any good resources please post them up. Thanks in advanced, Ryan One way is to bring up a popup window when the button is clicked. Try th...

LDAP Filter on Adress List
Dear Support, How to built one adress list by Organisation Unit? I must find only recipients of this OU. Thanks for helping I manage an exchange environment for a school at a university. Many of our faculty have very large mailboxes and like to keep their mail for ever. As silly as it may sound, I try to support this. My peferred configuration for these people is to auto-archive mail from the server into a .pst when it reaches some age then divide their pst files into years for permanent archiving. The benefits for this are obvious. The problem is how to backup the local copy of...

Export data from List box
Hi, I'd like to export data from a list box on a form. The list box has a stored procedure with parameter as RecordSource and I want to do it with a click button event. I need to copy data in csv format, but if it's difficult tell me how I can do it in other formats. Many thanks for your answers. Angelo ...

exchange 2007 central address lists
Hi Guys What's the best way to handle this one? -Require a central address list most people will have read access and a couple of people read/write to keep it updated -Several thousand users and groups from none exchange days so in .pst file -No reason that these are in the GAL because they are just mailing lists and no need for AD involvement Cheers A contacts-type public folder might work for you. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "martin" <usenet@etiqa.co.uk> wrote in messag...

question?
I have recently switched to a new computer at my office. I was able to set up my email in outlook. I wanted to transfer the email messages from my old computer to my ne w computer. Does anyone know how to do this??? locate and copy the file called *.pst Then in Outlook open it. "Cliff" <c-sharp@chc-group.com> wrote in message news:03fe01c3a88d$8cbbf850$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently switched to a new computer at my office. > I was able to set up my email in outlook. I wanted to > transfer the email messages from my old computer to my ne > w computer. Doe...

volume question
Hi, I have a potential project with that pre-requisits : Users 100 => Fine 300 000 Customers and 1 000 000 contacts Do you think, MS CRM can manage that configuration correctly (i.e. corect response time, ...) ? Is ther somebody with a similar configuration who can send me a feedback ? Who has a large db whit such records and how many to get an idea ? Thanks in advance for your help, regards. Dominique Szczudlak Dominique, I found a case study for a large-scale implementation of CRM 1.2. It includes the hardware configuration used. One conclusion is that some tuning of the SQL ind...

Auto dropdown
I would like the list of a combobox to dropdown when the form (where the combox is in) is opened. How can I do that? Thanks, John On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:33:18 +0100, John wrote: > I would like the list of a combobox to dropdown when the form (where the > combox is in) is opened. > How can I do that? > Thanks, > John Only when the form is first opened? Code the form's Load event: Me.ComboName.SetFocus Me.ComboName.Dropdown -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail Please ignore, I found the solution: Me!<<ComboName>...

list all menus
Hi, I need to get a list of every menu of every application currently open. By using GetWindow i am able to list all the applications and then by using GetMenu, GetSubMenu, GetMenuText etc I can get the menu details. The problem is that it works perfectly for some applications but not others. For example, I can see all the menus in Notepad and Task Manager but no menus at all for Visual Studio, Internet Explorer or any Explorer windows. Does anyone know why this is? Is it possible to list every menu of every app or should i give up? Thanks, mav I've just checked what you did...

Create template that ignors data list rules
Question: Is there a way to copy all rows in a worksheet [template] to a master data list at the same time, and have possibly several users saving their worksheet forms simultaneously with the data list being updated automatically as they save their work or is there a better way to accomplish this task using Excel? Please explain like I'm a two year old. The plan is for several users on a network to enter data in an Excel 2002 form [1 worksheet each user] the form contains about 17 rows with 10 columns on a template. When the users save their form the data will be automatically copied ...