Document Not Saved on MS Excel file on W2K Server

I'm not so sure what newsgroup category will this issue fall.

I have a file server with Windows 2000 Server SP4 OS and a WIndows NT
Workstation desktops. Some of my users complain that when they will try to
open an file especially excel file from the server, and when they try to
save the file, its prompts for "Document Not Saved", even though that they
didn't make the file idle. I have 50 desktop PC and 60 CALs for my server.
Please help.

Mark

0
mark7619 (80)
8/11/2004 7:26:46 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm not sure what "make the file idle" means, but when excel saves the file, it
saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension).

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful,
xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

I think I'd check with the network people to make sure all the permissions were
set correctly.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Excel List #2
Using the list option from Excel: Data->Validation. Is there a way to have different display and data values in the list. You could do this with programming. There's a sample workbook on my web site that shows a product name and code in the Data Validation dropdown list. After an item is selected, the cell shows only the product name. You may be able to adapt this to your workbook. On the following page: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html Under Data Validation, look for "Data Validation Columns" Excel list-display and data values wrote: > Using the list o...

Hanging while Saving the Excel File
Hi, While when I try to Save My Excel File the system is Hanging . I had also Reinstalled the MSOffice but the Same problem exits.please Give me any solution to solve this. Hi Prabu, We need some more information. Does this problem exist for just one file or do you have problems for all Excel files? By "Hanging" do you mean freezing or just taking a long time? These answers might help someone find a solution. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

redirect my documents
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C60228.32B5F210 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, How can I change the folder when my user want to insert an attachment?? = I would like to use an especific folder.. can I to do this?? thks, Jane ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C60228.32B5F210 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> &l...

Can't get SUM function to work in Excel 2000
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. All I'm trying to do is add a column of numbers. In cell L13, my formula is =SUM(L2:L12). All I get back is 0. I've checked the formatting of the cells and they are all numeric. I have also tried adding cells manually, e.g., =L2+L3 -- and I get the correct result. I'm pretty sure I've used this function before without any problems. What am I doing wrong? I was having a little problem with setting the formatting. Most of my spreadsheet contains wrappable text, and I had set the style for that. Then when I tried to adjust my num...

MS Word 2003 on XP Pro SP3
Problem Description: For the last couple of days Word has not been acting properly. So yesterday morning I ran update and was notified that this is not a genuine version, which is totally incorrect as I know I purchased Office 2003 Standard and I have the CDs. I decided to "activate" Word and received a message that it has already been activated. Now when I go to Help, Check for Updates, I am taken to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx, and am no longer taken directly to the page where my system is checked for updates automatically (as was in...

Retrieve document that was closed as Document 1?
I had a three page Word document still titled as Document 1 that I accidently closed before remembering I wanted to keep the first page. I had not saved the document before closing so if I select a Word document again I will get Document 1 but it will be blank. Is there any way I can retrieve this document? Frank C. If you didn't save it there's nothing to recover. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web s...

Help! Excel to HTML needs Refresh?
Original calendar created in Excel2002 was converted to HTML and is posted at: http://www.acalanes.k12.ca.us/calendar/WebCalendar.htm When first viewed in IE6, the page is rendered with additional blank rows but will be formated correctly if you force a refresh. This this may be system resource dependant?? Seems to be rendered correctly in Netscape6. Is there a solution for this??? or can I enter a forced refresh in the HTML to correct the initial viewing? Or should I just trash this and go with the .pdf version at http://www.acalanes.k12.ca.us/calendar/PrintCalendar.pdf - (t...

Wrong URL returned by GetCrmServerUrl after server move
We have moved our CRM 4.0 front-end from oldserver to newserver The GetCrmServerUrl function called by AuthenticationPipeline still returns oldserver Why? CRM 4 has been uninstalled, no trace of oldserver in config files, registry or database. CRM Deployment shows only new server Meanwhile, both C360 applications and Stunnware Tools crash in trying to connect to oldserver with No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it oldserver_ip Where this this metadata stored to keep reference on server removed from deployment ? Thanks for your help ...

Practical Jokes in Excel?
Hello - What practical jokes have you played with Excel, either VBA or just built-in features? With all of the creativity on this Board, I figure there's got to be quite a few gems out there ... One of my coworkers thinks he knows it all, so I'd like to punk him ... my initial thought was a macro that would speak something (using text-to-speech) or play a sound when a specific key is pressed (say, the SHIFT or CTRL keys). I have absolutely no idea where to start with this ... thoughts? Looking forward to seeing what's been done before! //ray On Mar 2, 12:43=...

Open documents in new window
I recently uninstalled an add-in (Office Tab), and since then all instances of Word 2007 (on XP SP3) open in the same window, rather than in new windows, which is my preference. I'm pretty sure I remember having to change it to the "open in new window" for the default setting a couple of years ago when I first started using 2007, but can't seem to find out how that is done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. David uncheck the Windows in Taskbar in the View dialog under office menu under the Microsoft Office Button. Hope this helps DeanH &quo...

opening a pub file
How can I open a pub file if I do not have Publisher. You can't... Have your sender create a PDF file for you from the Publisher file. If that is impossible, send the file to me and I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jeff U" <JeffU@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CDD707C-01BF-4EBF-B46E-B3F5802B3578@microsoft.com... > How can I open a pub file if I do not have Publisher. Can't be done; not even with a gun. Have the...

Integer Fields Not Saving
I have a single user (out of 35) that cannot update any integer field (credit limit for example). If I type "abc" into the field, I get the prompt that I must enter a number, but it says "between . and " as opposed to "between 0 and 1,000,000.00"). After a number is entered, the field remains highlighted, but I cannot tab or click on another field, only on another tab (or form). To finish the previous thought, when I try and save the account, it does not save the integer field. is this user running windows xp and not sp2 and everyone else is? -- John O'...

Can't publish reports to MS CRM 3.0
I've created a custom quote report using VS 2003. I'm running MS CRM 3.0 with SQL 2000. The report runs fine in VS 2003 and I can publish through VS using deploy solution. The report actually does publish to the all reports category and I can run it just fine. However, I need this report to be specifically associated with the Quotes and available from within the Quote form. If I publish the report using the method that I just described, I cannot edit the report categorization through the GUI for the following: - Category - Related Record Types - Display In When I go the Mo...

New to excel
Hello, I am new to excel currently working with Moss sharepoint I have a "ticket" that needs to pull data from another excel workbook when they need to update a budget and they send it in for approval using moss. Is that possible? I am new to this and looking for ways to make this easy for my users when they use the "ticket" template requesting a new budget change and the data they are getting is from a set budget form for a project. Can someone lead me to the right direction on how to handle this. Thank you for your time. I don't have the terminology to be ...

Why do I get a blank page when trying to print Avery Document 516.
I have the labels ready to go. Using Microsoft Word. When I try to print the labels, I get a blank page. I tried two printers, HP and Brother. Same thing with both. Any suggestions? Check the font formatting. Make sure that it is not hidden. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bburkesj" <bburkesj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B881C096-C3F6-475B-B00A-F75C2DED0D73@microsoft.c...

Changing the Zoom to open a document in 100%
When I open a particular document on my computer it automatically shows it at 100% Zoom. However, my boss has a problem showing the document on his computer at less than 100%. He would like to change it so that he does not have to adjust it at 100% every time he opens the document. Can you tell me how this could be done? Do you really want the zoom changed to 100% or do you want it so that he can see the same columns as you see? If you want to set the zoom to 100%, you can do something like this in your auto_open (or workbook_open) code: Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Dim wks ...

Microsoft Documentation
Hi, I came across this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=64966E88-1377-4D1A-BE86-AB77014495F4&displaylang=en#top page which is the Technical Overview of DirectAccess. Is their like a central link that one can go to and find other technical overviews of other products which maybe of interest? Thanks "biren" <biren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75543666-0178-4559-9D60-01E16B1E3428@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I came across this > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=64966...

Synchronize MS Outlook XP
How do I synchronize my MS Outlook XP mailbox so that it is availalbe offline? You need to set it up for offline use. Open the account properties for your Exchange account to enable offline support. Each folder needs to be enabled too - only enable the ones you need offline. You can do that from Tools, Send/Receive group settings. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Search ...

Excel should let me adjust the left to right (width) margin for a.
If you set page margins to 0.5 the header/footer margins stay at what appears to be 0.75. I can not believe there is no way to change this. If it is it is not documented or is very hard to find. Believe! The Header and Footer margins cannot be moved outwards from their fixed position. You can move them inwards by padding with spaces but that's it. I have never seen documentation from MS Excel Help other than changing top and bottom position for headers/footers, but it may be there. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:57:01 -0800, Zip250 <Zip250@discussions.microsoft.com...

open the document instead of the inquiry window
When adding a PO to a service call, we click the PO number and it opens the PO inquiry screen. We need it to open the actual PO/document screen so the addresses can be modified as needed, etc. Is there a setting somewhere in GP to allow this? ...

Saving an Excel document after moving additional worksheets to it
I have a 'master' spreadsheet that I would like to add additional tabs to. I'm not having any problems moving the worksheets into the document but when I try to save the file its not happening. I have tried renaming the file, saving to a pen drive but nothing seems to be working. I seem to be able to save the first worksheet but then reopening and saving additional worksheets without success. Would anyone have any idea why I am unable to save the file.....thanks ...

Copying Excel charts to PowerPoint
I would like to knowwhy some Excel charts do not copy to PowerPoint correctly when using Paste Special, Copy as Excel Object but have to ne copied as a bitmap to be readable. In article <CF42E141-10AE-4123-9C53-AB8CCEDAB431@microsoft.com>, Cheezeman wrote: > I would like to knowwhy some Excel charts do not copy to PowerPoint correctly > when using Paste Special, Copy as Excel Object but have to ne copied as a > bitmap to be readable. Please mention the version of PowerPoint and Excel you're using, describe as clearly as you can the problem you're seeing...

Where is documentation of VBA Chart properties and methods?
Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. Never mind. I realized that the Excel VBA help file was not installed. Sorry about the dumb questions. "Hmmm..." <blahbla@blahl.com> wrote in message news:1wDRa.106421$Io.9109532@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net... > Where can I find documentation listing all of the Excel VBA Chart properties > and methods? An internet site, or a good book maybe? Thanks. > > ...

mail cannot connect to incoming/outgoing server
I use outlook 2002 with a private domain mail server. the incoming and outgoing servers are pop3. the problem is, when I keep Outlook active, after a few minutes it will not send or receive mail. The error message I get says cannot connect to incoming or outgoing server. If I reboot, thinks work fine for about ten to twenty minuets. Any suggestions? .. ...

Saving web pages as php...
I have currently got an upgrade from office 2000 to XP due to getting new computer. On 2000 I used to save a range of cells as webpages an change the file name so it ends in php and not htm. Now Excel XP i being an ass and automatically deleting the php bit and replacing i with htm - is there anyway I can save the file as .php -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...