Displaying data based on Drop Down List Selection

Hello, hope someone can help.

I have a list of records in Excel which are attributed to teams in my
organisation. Say its a list of staff. What I need is to be able to send the
file out so that a user can select from a drop down menu the team name and
the list displays all the staff in that team.

I know that they could just use a filter for this themselves but these these
users are not even comfortable doing that!! I need to make is simple so
wanted a big obvious drop down list with the teams in, they select it and see
all the relevant records.

Has anybody got any ideas? Would be very greatful if anyone could help

Thanks
0
Funkster (1)
3/16/2007 3:38:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Mar 16, 11:38 pm, Funkster <Funks...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello, hope someone can help.
>
> I have a list of records in Excel which are attributed to teams in my
> organisation. Say its a list of staff. What I need is to be able to send the
> file out so that a user can select from a drop down menu the team name and
> the list displays all the staff in that team.
>
> I know that they could just use a filter for this themselves but these these
> users are not even comfortable doing that!! I need to make is simple so
> wanted a big obvious drop down list with the teams in, they select it and see
> all the relevant records.
>
> Has anybody got any ideas? Would be very greatful if anyone could help
>
> Thanks

You can use data validation to create drop down list.
Select any cell
Go to Tool--Data--Validation
Under Allow Select list.
Under Source you can refer any selected cells Or key in your list
seperated by comma.
Example : steve,alex,baldwin,.....

http://microsoft-excel-macro.blogspot.com

Have a look at this link:

It shows how to set up dependent lists in data validation.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 16, 3:38 pm, Funkster <Funks...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Hello, hope someone can help.
>
> I have a list of records in Excel which are attributed to teams in my
> organisation. Say its a list of staff. What I need is to be able to send the
> file out so that a user can select from a drop down menu the team name and
> the list displays all the staff in that team.
>
> I know that they could just use a filter for this themselves but these these
> users are not even comfortable doing that!! I need to make is simple so
> wanted a big obvious drop down list with the teams in, they select it and see
> all the relevant records.
>
> Has anybody got any ideas? Would be very greatful if anyone could help
>
> Thanks

0
pashurst (2576)

Summing Data Series
I have just created a chart, but rather than show each data series individually, it has added them together. Hence the first data series shows the values from Column A of my Sheet correctly, but the second series shows the values from column A PLUS the valus from COlumn B, similarly the third series shows the sum of the values from Columns A, B and C. Why is Excel doing this? I am using Excel XP That is rather strange -- unless, of course, you are creating a stacked column chart, in which case the behavior is as expected. If not, how *exactly* did you create the chart? And, what do...

Trying to update data in RMS with a web interface
My project is much more complicated, but I am hoping someone can give me some generic tips and/or code to assist me. I want to update a field in RMS with some data the cashier inputs on an HTML form. For example, if a cashier selects a customer using F7, I want them to press a custom button that brings up an HTML window. That html file will have a form where the cashier will enter some text in a textbox. When the cashier presses Submit, the text in the textbox will be written to the Customer.CustomText1 field. The two major issues are 1) how to pass the Customer.ID to the HTML window ...

Acces denied when trying to access offline data after synchro
Hi, I have XP SP2 fresh Installed on my laptop, reinstall crm for outlook with all patches, everything work fine with my crm on my server, i can acces my data with my outlook and also via the web. I do sync and it work fine also. After the sync i automaticly receive a error : Acces denied : You do not have sufficient access rights or privileges to perform this action. I go back online ans it's working online. Never able to access my offline data and getting this message each time. In the registry key i have the 00 already. My CRM security service is strated on the server. The only...

Return a cell refernce based on a value
I have a value in worksheet A which is "x". In worksheet B column A have a list of values i.e. a,b,c,d...x,y,z and in column B I hav values relating to those in coumn A i.e. column A row 1 value is "a column B row 1 value is "apple", column A row 2 value is "b" and colum B row 2 value is "balloon", how do I get teh first worksheet to rea the value in one cell, find it in column A of the other worksheet an give back the value on teh same row in column B? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi use the VLOOKUP function =VLOOKU...

Consolidating & Labels
When consolidating a bunch of data and checking "Create Links to Sourc Data," everything works fine but it includes a + or minus icon on th left to click on to see all of the values summed (added rows). Now, my question is: Is it possible to have labels on the left of al of these 40 values or so being summed (only seen when consolidated cel is expanded) and have those labels appear directly to the left of thes values from the source files? This would then make it easy to create pivotTable. Thank you -- rhelle -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

Dynamic Range Based on Cell Result not Empty Cell
I use dynamic ranges in excel. I use them to name ranges that vary i size due to varyin data. For example, I may dump data in F2 which ma span 3 rows or 100 rows. I use the following formula to name th range: =OFFSET($F$2,0,0,COUNTA($F2:$F65536),1) However, I now want to define the range based on the cell result. Tha is assume that I have a constant formula from F2 to F102. However th cells in the column either have a number in them or a "" in them. Th formula above will automatically size the range to F2:F102 becuas there is a formula in every row. How can i write a formua...

Vba code cannot select text pasted from .txt file
The data I'm working with is from a .txt file which was created by exporting a .pdf to a text file. I copy all of the text from the .txt file and paste it into a column in Excel. When trying to reference any column, row, or range on the sheet with the pasted text, I get the following error: Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error. Sample code: Sheets("Sheet5").Select ' <this works fine Columns("A:A").Select ' <this gets the error I've tried pasting the text with other paste special options. I'v...

Return receipt on distribution list
I am using Outlook 2003 and need to set up a distribution list that has a delivery receipt and read receipt as the default so it asks for the receipts every time. I do NOT want to turn on the receipts for every message I send. I do NOT want to have to remember to set the receipts every time I send a message. I am just sure I had this option in Outlook 2000 but I can't find it now. Thanks for any help! Tom Receipts are either all on or all off. You will need to set the request manually if you have them turned off universally. All versions of Outlook are the same in this respect. ...

adding code to sort a list in VBA
I have a user form that enters data to a file and the file should be sorted in date order. How can I add code to an already existing code in Visual Basic so that after the user clicks the "OK" button the data gets entered, then after that it automatically sorts the data according to the date column. I tried recording a macro to do it and then copy/paste it to the code but i get an error. Any ideas as to what the code should look like, where it should be placed in the program? Thanks Tim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi! A good start would be to show ...

Money Data
I am using Money 2002 (simply because later version don't offer anything new that I need) but I cannot find anyway or option that will allow me to store the data externally. I can store the backup in a variety of places, however, I would like to keep the primary files, and the automatic backup, off the hard drive and unaccessessible to hackers. Does anyone know how this can be done? Thanks You can copy your .mny file to any media you like using the normal Windows tools from My Computer or Windows Explorer. You can also usually backup to these media using browse from within the M...

Data not loaded to HQ
A worksheet 401 for a store failed and the store stopped loading data. I created a 401 worksheet and the store loaded the data but skipped over a day and a half worth of data. How can I get this data into HQ? Back date your 401 to 3 days ago [or a day before you had the issue] and re-run it and this will fix it. Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm = = = = = = = = = = "Harry O''Neill" <HarryONeill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F807B3DC-3495-43E5-A1F2-E31B873A20F8@microsoft.com... >A worksheet 401 for a store fa...

Erroneous Error? re >32,000 data plots in 2D chart
I am getting the error regarding >32,000 data points in a 2D charts in Excel 2003. The same error as in the following post; http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.charting/browse_frm/thread/79458c5c753083a2 However, the largest series I am plotting is only 16,401 data points long. Has anyone previously come across this error statement issued in error? =========== More background. Have defined some chart series using dynamic named ranges. E.G., name the following range "Series1", =OFFSET('C'!$M $20,,,COUNTA('C'!$M$20:$M$30000),1) Then in Chart/S...

entering in manipulated data
I have an access form with a field that i need modified before it get entered into the database. If i enter 02-123456 into the form, i want to enter 123456 into the table. can someone help me out on how to do this? We are only logging the number after the "-" but we enter the full number because it is scanned on a bar code. Thanks. If you always need the rightmost six digits you could have code such as: Me.ShortField = Right(Me.LongField,6) If there is a variable number of digits that always follow a hyphen: Me.ShortField = Right(Me.LongField,Len(Me.LongField) - InStr(Me.L...

How to select & display distinct values

Printing JUST the Charts, not the data...
Hi, I'm using Excel 2000 and have a number of worksheets with which I've created some charts (all in the same workbook). Is there a way to print the charts that doesn't involve having to highlight each chart individually? I've got some charts in the same worksheet as their source data and some that are on their own page, but that doesn't seem to matter (unless I'm missing something). Any ideas? Thanks, Shane You could use a macro like the following. It prints out each chart sheet, and each embedded chart on each sheet, as if you'd selected each chart a...

Display Time in Outlook

Upsizing with picture data
I am attempting to upsize a database from Access 2003 to SQL Server 2005 Express. All tables, indexes, relations, etc. are correctly upsized, except one table refuses to cooperate. This table is an OLE object field, which contains picture data. If I remove this field, the table can be upsized. Apparently, the upsizing wizard is unable to make the transition. Is there a way around this dilema? create the table with out the old field then create a append query and add the field use the image data type. now you can append the missing data Hope this helps "wschlichtman" <wsc...

List view customization
Does anybody know how to make a form or list view not currently available in the customization toolkit view in CRM available for customization through the toolkit? thanks Can you explain further -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "JM" <JM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1097513D-2353-430A-B895-71848D832BAB@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to make a form or list view not currently available in > the customization toolkit view in CRM available for customization through the > toolkit? > > thanks you ca...

Making a shopping list
This was posted by a friend in another forum. Please can someone format a a table in excel for me. I need a tabl that displays a list of items that i can enter a number in a colum nex to an item, this would then generate another table that i could the print showing only the items i have have selected and the qauntity. i like a shopping list from a supermarket . It's really anniying me that I can't work it out, as it seems very ver simple to do -- EARTHWALKE ----------------------------------------------------------------------- EARTHWALKER's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/...

PK and FK Displayed

How do I shade a region between two selected points on the x axis?
In a line graph of monthly unemployment rates over many years, economists like to shade a region between 2 selected months (x axis) in order to denote a recsession. How can this be done in an Excel chart? Hello: I am sure that someone very cleaver will tell you there is an automated way to do this. But given the irregular nature of the data, and not frequently the easiest way to do it would be to dislay the drawing toolbar. Now choose the rectangle shape and draw the area you want high lighted. Once you have the area you want covered, right click the rectangle and choose format autosh...