Displaying a negative time

Hi There

I've created a time sheet in excel for my work.  One of my colleagues
however owes the organisation some hours.  Sadly this is right at the
beginning of the year so I am having a bit of a problme setting it up
to display this.

She owes the organisation 7hrs 45mins.  I tried entering into the cell
30/12/1903  16:15:00 however this then just displays that entry and
not -7:45:00

Is there any way I can get this to work?

Cheers

Colin
0
Colin
1/12/2010 12:33:37 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Change to 1904 date system

Tools>Options> Calculation>1904 date system

HTH

Bob

"Colin Weir" <colin.weir@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi There
>
> I've created a time sheet in excel for my work.  One of my colleagues
> however owes the organisation some hours.  Sadly this is right at the
> beginning of the year so I am having a bit of a problme setting it up
> to display this.
>
> She owes the organisation 7hrs 45mins.  I tried entering into the cell
> 30/12/1903  16:15:00 however this then just displays that entry and
> not -7:45:00
>
> Is there any way I can get this to work?
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

0
Bob
1/12/2010 12:53:23 PM
Hi

I think I've sorted it - I just put some figures in some cells off
screen and then done a calculation on them to give me the desired
result.

Thanks

Colin
0
Colin
1/12/2010 12:58:27 PM
Excel will calculate negative time, it just won't display it. You can use
the following to get it displayed:
=IF(A1<0,"-","")&TEXT(ABS(A1),"hh:mm:ss")

Regards,
Fred

"Colin Weir" <colin.weir@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi There
>
> I've created a time sheet in excel for my work.  One of my colleagues
> however owes the organisation some hours.  Sadly this is right at the
> beginning of the year so I am having a bit of a problme setting it up
> to display this.
>
> She owes the organisation 7hrs 45mins.  I tried entering into the cell
> 30/12/1903  16:15:00 however this then just displays that entry and
> not -7:45:00
>
> Is there any way I can get this to work?
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

0
Fred

how do I get imported addresses to autocomplete first time out
I have just upgraded from Outlook Express and cannot now get addresses in my addressbook imported from Express to autocomplete without laboriously entering each address in full the first time I use them. It's taking me forever. Is there somehow I can introduce Outlook to my entire addressbook on a batch basis, or is it really necessary to do it one name at a time? You don't understand. Autocompletion has nothing to do with your Contacts. It uses a cache of names that will be populated as you send messages. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Frustrated user" <Frustr...

Time planner
Hi Anybody able to help? I need to quickly draw up a schedule for the set up of a large stage show (over 3 days 24hr working). I need to show time down one column in 15min stages in 24hr clock (Hrs & Mins). As usual time is of the essence. Many thanks Paul Type 00:00 in your first cell, 00:15 in the next, 00:30, 00:45 and 01:00. Then select the block of cells and position the cursor over the bottom right-hand corner. It'll change to a + cursor. Then drag down for your 24 hours (about 100 cells approx) "Paul" wrote: > Hi > > Anybody able to help? I...

How to handle blank date and time?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2 I am developing a database application using MS Access 2000. The problem I am dealing with is how to handle if the user does not enter the date. There is a condition where they can do that for Finish Process Date / Finish Process Time. I make the Date and Time as separate fields, both in the database and the application. On my application I use the COleDateTime data type. I have to save the blank Date and the blank Time, and I also have to acquire them back in order to display the data using the CListCtrl. What I am confusing is how to make the query? Is it...

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

One more TIME
Hi all After downloading data it is presented with a decimal(period) between the hours and minutes i.e.7.20 is really 7 hours and 20 minutes. Some data appears in hundreds eg 985.35. I need to compare this data with other correctly formatted timed data ie 7:20 to establish variances. I realise that i could use Tools/Autocorrect replacing the decimal with a colon but this changes the 7.20 to 07:02 and there is the danger that I might forget to change it back later. Is there a solution? Can this be done automatically by macro etc as there is quite a lot of data. Thanks in advance. Angelo Hi ...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

PK and FK Displayed

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Stop displaying a line

Typing times
Hi Is there a way to type times easily in Excel ? It is used for keeping track of times during production. Input would be; Startup 6.30 6.45 Production order No 1 6.45 8.30 Change of product 8.30 8.50 Production order No 2 8.50 12.15 Maintenance 12.15 13.00 Lunch 13.00 13.45 etc Data has to be summerized on the different lines (start up, production, maintenance, lunch etc) The problem is the time it takes to punch it in. Kind regards, Dean Dean, have a look here http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- ...

Extend Published free/busy time, consequences.
Hello there. I am thinking of extending the published Free/Busy time in Outlook to a year or two into the future. But how about the consequences in doing so, as seen from the Exchange perspective. Before Exch 2007 this information was stored in a public folder, now in Exch 2007 the check is made directly in the calendar using OWA, so I guess that there should be no problem in doing so? Anyone got any info or best practice I can lean up against. Best regards Jesper. Free-busy data is pretty small so I doubt think you'll have any trouble. But, seriously, who...

Display or not display series

calendar time scale
Using Exchange 2003, all clients Outlook 2002. Is there any way to set up a calendar in a public folder to have the same time-scale view of 15 minute increments for all users? thanks ...

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Serialisation
A general query Im serialising a person object with the following member variables Class Person Private _forenames As String Private _surname As String Private _dob As Date Private _marital_status As MaritalStatus 'Public Get and Set Properties here for each of the above ' I'll not detail them all to save space but Ill show attributes <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="forename")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="surname")> _ <XmlElementAttribute(Elementname:="dob"...

=Text(b2-A2,"h") hours between 2 times, what do I do for 10 times
I am trying to do a work schedule for work. I am using an excel worksheet and typing the starting time ex. 8:00 am in Cell A2 and ending time 5:00 pm in Cell B2. I need to add the total hours worked for two full weeks. I have the formula =TEXT(B2-A2,"h"), which adds the hours for the first day. What formula do I use to add the following days to this formula to get a total for two full weeks. Thanks, You can simply add up your result. Another way is to find a simple difference first =B2-A2 and format the cell as custom h:mm or simply h, and then add up the entire total and ...

New Email does not display
When new email arrives you don't know it. You don't know you have new mail until you click on an existing email in your inbox. Any ideas? It's a setting. But... 1. You don't tell us the program you're using. 2. We can't guess if it's Outlook or Outlook Express. 3. This is the Excel newsgroup; you're in the wrong place. :) ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Travis" <Travis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D864BC01-7D98-48DA-A132-614D02E45963@microsoft.com... > When new email arrives you don't know ...

Timed logoff
Hi sbs 2003. Is there a way to force log off people after a specified amount of login time? Thanks Regards Hi John, Possibly, but the user may lose any unsaved data. Force logoff policy http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forumarchives/windowsserversbs/Sep2005/post24100425.asp This is more of a personnel problem than a technical one. You might try the old "embarrass the user by sending out a daily email of those users who did not log off last night". The SBS Backup Wizard uses the Volume Shadow Copy service to back up all open files, so only unsaved chang...