display total in stacked column chart

Using Windows XP and Office 2007

To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart and
maybe someone can help me.  Let's assume I have taken attendance in a
particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance
information broken down into males and females.  So I have a data table that
has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in Column B, the
number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total attendance in
Column D.

I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and C
so that my stacked column shows how many males were in attendance and how
many females were in attendance.  I am displaying those data labels inside
the individual column in each stack.  I would like to display the total as a
number at the top of the stacked column.

When I select the "total" column from my data table, it obviously adds a
third block in the column stack.  I do not want to display the total as a
third component in the stacked column.  I only want to display the numerical
value of the total at the top of the stacked column.

So my stacked column has a blue block with the number 40 in it indicating
there were 40 males in attendance.  On top of that is a red block with the
number 25 in it indicating there were 25 females in attendance.  Now I would
like to display the number 65 at the top of that stacked column to indicate
that the total attendance was 65.  I do NOT want to add a green block on the
top with a 65 in it.

Any help???

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/27/2009 7:25:26 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I just thought of something.  What if I add that third block to the top of
my stacked column and then set the color of that third block to "none" so
that only the data label shows on the chart?  I think that might work!!!

"BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP and Office 2007
>
> To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart
> and maybe someone can help me.  Let's assume I have taken attendance in a
> particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance
> information broken down into males and females.  So I have a data table
> that has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in Column
> B, the number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total
> attendance in Column D.
>
> I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and C
> so that my stacked column shows how many males were in attendance and how
> many females were in attendance.  I am displaying those data labels inside
> the individual column in each stack.  I would like to display the total as
> a number at the top of the stacked column.
>
> When I select the "total" column from my data table, it obviously adds a
> third block in the column stack.  I do not want to display the total as a
> third component in the stacked column.  I only want to display the
> numerical value of the total at the top of the stacked column.
>
> So my stacked column has a blue block with the number 40 in it indicating
> there were 40 males in attendance.  On top of that is a red block with the
> number 25 in it indicating there were 25 females in attendance.  Now I
> would like to display the number 65 at the top of that stacked column to
> indicate that the total attendance was 65.  I do NOT want to add a green
> block on the top with a 65 in it.
>
> Any help???

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/27/2009 7:44:27 PM
Hi,

Some suggestions here,
http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm

You can also use a dummy lines series plotting the total value.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Using Windows XP and Office 2007
>
> To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart
> and maybe someone can help me.  Let's assume I have taken attendance in a
> particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance
> information broken down into males and females.  So I have a data table
> that has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in Column
> B, the number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total
> attendance in Column D.
>
> I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and C
> so that my stacked column shows how many males were in attendance and how
> many females were in attendance.  I am displaying those data labels inside
> the individual column in each stack.  I would like to display the total as
> a number at the top of the stacked column.
>
> When I select the "total" column from my data table, it obviously adds a
> third block in the column stack.  I do not want to display the total as a
> third component in the stacked column.  I only want to display the
> numerical value of the total at the top of the stacked column.
>
> So my stacked column has a blue block with the number 40 in it indicating
> there were 40 males in attendance.  On top of that is a red block with the
> number 25 in it indicating there were 25 females in attendance.  Now I
> would like to display the number 65 at the top of that stacked column to
> indicate that the total attendance was 65.  I do NOT want to add a green
> block on the top with a 65 in it.
>
> Any help???

0
andy9699 (3616)
5/28/2009 8:04:50 AM
Thanks so much.

"Andy Pope" <andy@andypope.info> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Some suggestions here,
> http://www.andypope.info/charts/StackColTotal.htm
>
> You can also use a dummy lines series plotting the total value.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Using Windows XP and Office 2007
>>
>> To make it simple to explain, I'll make up a sample stacked column chart
>> and maybe someone can help me.  Let's assume I have taken attendance in a
>> particular class over the last 5 years and I have that attendance
>> information broken down into males and females.  So I have a data table
>> that has the year in Column A, the number of males in attendance in
>> Column B, the number of females in attendance in Column C, and the total
>> attendance in Column D.
>>
>> I created a stacked column chart with the information from Columns B and
>> C so that my stacked column shows how many males were in attendance and
>> how many females were in attendance.  I am displaying those data labels
>> inside the individual column in each stack.  I would like to display the
>> total as a number at the top of the stacked column.
>>
>> When I select the "total" column from my data table, it obviously adds a
>> third block in the column stack.  I do not want to display the total as a
>> third component in the stacked column.  I only want to display the
>> numerical value of the total at the top of the stacked column.
>>
>> So my stacked column has a blue block with the number 40 in it indicating
>> there were 40 males in attendance.  On top of that is a red block with
>> the number 25 in it indicating there were 25 females in attendance.  Now
>> I would like to display the number 65 at the top of that stacked column
>> to indicate that the total attendance was 65.  I do NOT want to add a
>> green block on the top with a 65 in it.
>>
>> Any help???

0
nospam7515 (2084)

How do you do set up a hierarchy chart in PP 7
I'm trying to set up a hierarchy chart in PP7 but the template presented doesn't allow me to add boxes below with a direct line. Sometimes I get a slanted line and I can't delete it. ...

Dual Displays

Folder could not be displayed

Combining a regular bar chart and stacked bar chart
Hi, I have 2 y-axis data series and years for the x-axis. For each year I have side-by-side bars for the 2 different data series. For one specific year, I would like to have stacked bars. I want to combine data from the first half of the year and the second half of the year to create one bar for each data series, with the 2 portions of the data making up each bar as a different colors. Is this possible? Please help me ASAP as this is for a publication at work. Thanks. The first link on this page gives an example of the data arrangement you need to achieve this visual effect: http://pe...

Can we link Chart Labels to cells in the spreadsheet
Can we link Chart Labels to cells in the spreadsheet Hi, How do I link chart labels that will update automatic if I change the value in the cell. Is it possible???? Also Is it possible to make the background of a chart 100% transparent that is sitting on an spreadsheet, so the the values or text behind the chart is visible and printable. Thanks in advance Yes to both. After adding labels to a series, simply click on any individual series label, type the equal sign, and then click on a cell to create a reference. To create the see-through effect, format both the chart area and (if ...

cumulative totals #2
I have a worksheet like this: / A / B / C / / 1 / water per day / cumulative water / beginning water / 2 / 21 / 71 / 50 / I want a running sum in column B. In other words, I want cumulativ water to start out at 0 (B2). when I enter 21 in cell A2, I want it t add water per day to the beginnig water (C2)(21+50=71) and display tha number in column B. Then the next day I enter a number in A2, say 15, want B2 to come out to 86 (71 from the previous day plus the 15 fo today). I will be entering a "water per day" everyday and want th running sum displayed in B2. Thanks for your help!! -...

Printing JUST the Charts, not the data...
Hi, I'm using Excel 2000 and have a number of worksheets with which I've created some charts (all in the same workbook). Is there a way to print the charts that doesn't involve having to highlight each chart individually? I've got some charts in the same worksheet as their source data and some that are on their own page, but that doesn't seem to matter (unless I'm missing something). Any ideas? Thanks, Shane You could use a macro like the following. It prints out each chart sheet, and each embedded chart on each sheet, as if you'd selected each chart a...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

PK and FK Displayed

Hiding columns #6
Can I hide 5 consecutive columns (X to AA) depending on the content in another cell (Hide if Y2=4, display otherwise) without using conditional formatting. I tried and made everything white but then the comments remain. Any ideas? You'd have to use a worksheet_change event: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim HideRng As Range Set HideRng = Me.[X:AA] With Target If .Address <> "$Y$2" Then Exit Sub If .Value = 4 Then HideRng.EntireColumn.Hidden = True End If End With End Sub --- Right-click on the worksheet tab, click on "Vi...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Delete Chart Event
Hi All Is it possible to detect an event when a chart is being deleted in vba? Thanks a million Kike Hi, There is no delete event. But you could try this. The Deactive event is fired when you delete a chart sheet. Trouble is the chart is still there when you are in the event so you can not tell the difference between deactivate or delete. So you use a routine to issue a OnTime call to another routine. Store a reference to the chart sheet in a module level variable. The when the ontime routine runs, about a sec or 2 later, you can check the object. If deleted it will result in an erro...

dividing columns by 100
I need to divide four columns of numbers by 100, yet I don't want any of the cells to interact with each other. The numbers are all 100 times too big, I just need a formula or a way to divide them all by 100 in (hopefully) one step or equation. Can anyone help? put 100 in an unused cell. edit|copy that cell select your range in that column to adjust edit|paste special|choose divide clean up that 100 in that helper cell. Sgian wrote: > > I need to divide four columns of numbers by 100, yet I don't want any of the > cells to interact with each other. The numbers are al...

How do I automatically total and flag charges when they reach a s.
I have to pay writers per article. I cannot pay them until their total reaches a set amount. Then I send accounting a request to pay. Right now I just keep typing their info into excel, which means that I retype their name, new article name, words, price, when each issue comes out, then I put them in abc order, then I total them up on my own if they look like they might be up to the set amount. But I keep thinking there has to be a better way to do this. Any ideas? There are definitely better ways of doing this. I would need more detail on the info you use, to really help you though. ...

Stop displaying a line

Watermark for Excel chart
Does anyone know how to create a watermark on an Excel Chart? Tom, You might try a few of things: (1) Activate your chart by clicking on it. Type the word "Draft" and hit the enter key. A textbox should appear with the word "Draft" on the chart. Position the textbox to where you want it to be and format it accordingly. (2) Double - click on the outside area of your chart. In the Format Chart Area dialog box, set the Area to None. Do the same with the plot area. Now, select a range on your spreadsheet that contains the text of the watermark that you want. In...

Advanced Find & View
Hi, Scenario: Create an advanced find to save as a view. 3 entities involved - Contacts and two custom entities. They are related. Build the advanced find ok, but can't edit the columns view to include data from entity 2 and 3, only from contacts entity. Is it possible to add those columns? if so, how? Hi, In MS CRM Advance find view, you won=92t be able to see the columns of entities in edit columns which are having 1:N relationship with Parent entity in your case it=92s contact having 1:N relationship with custom entities. If you want your result set to contain columns from custom as...

GeneralFormula for Adding 2 Columns
Hi, I am trying to add 2 columns and put the result in the third column. I want this to happen for any number of rows. If I populate X number of Rows then the result should be in the third column. I need help in this badly. I would appreciate if somebody could tell me the fastest way. I am not interested in the option where 2 numbers are added in the first row and then the rest is taken care by dragging for the rest of the rows in the same column. Thanks in advance. -John You could try a macro like this: Sub AddColumns() Dim x As Integer x = 1 While Range("A&q...

Condensing Columns
I am working with an old document that was created to capture names during several years. The worksheet is set up so that there are 2 columns (first and last name) under each year, side by side. Vertically, the list is alphabetical by last name. For example if a person is listed for 5 consecutive years, their full name is written out 5 names across the row. Or if a person is listed only for one year, their name is written only once across the row. I would like to move from all the years into one column. Is there a way to do this other than manually cutting and pasting?? Thanks ...

Display or not display series