disappearing columns

I have a workbook on the network that is shared by three people and
myself and it consists of four worksheets.  When I open the workbook it
opens to the first sheet.  The first couple of seconds as Excel loads
all the data, focus is on the first sheet and I see all the columns
that I expect to see.  As soon as the hourglass goes away it is as if I
had deleted columns 4 and everything to the right of it shifts to the
left.  If I reopen the spreadsheet, I get the same behaviour everytime
I reopen it.
If I remove the share on the worksheet then the column that keeps
"disappearing" is gone for good.
How can I get that column to stay visible so that I can use it?
Thanks.
   - jc -

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

It sounds like there is a macro running on opening the file that hides
column D.
Maybe you are not supposed to use this column for any data entry.

If you do want to unhide it and look at the contents, then mark both
columns C and E, right click and choose Unhide.
I suspect there will be formulae in that column that should not be
overwritten by you, otherwise other parts of the sheet won't work.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

<jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook on the network that is shared by three people and
> myself and it consists of four worksheets.  When I open the workbook
> it
> opens to the first sheet.  The first couple of seconds as Excel loads
> all the data, focus is on the first sheet and I see all the columns
> that I expect to see.  As soon as the hourglass goes away it is as if
> had deleted columns 4 and everything to the right of it shifts to the
> left.  If I reopen the spreadsheet, I get the same behaviour everytime
> I reopen it.
> If I remove the share on the worksheet then the column that keeps
> "disappearing" is gone for good.
> How can I get that column to stay visible so that I can use it?
> Thanks.
>   - jc -

0
roger5293 (1125)
12/27/2006 11:32:15 AM
Thanks for responding, however, there are no hidden columns; it is as
if the column is deleted - I see it while the spreadsheet is loading
but then the column disappears and everything shifts left as soon as it
is through loading.
bizarre -

  - jc -

Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi
>
> It sounds like there is a macro running on opening the file that hides
> column D.
> Maybe you are not supposed to use this column for any data entry.
>
> If you do want to unhide it and look at the contents, then mark both
> columns C and E, right click and choose Unhide.
> I suspect there will be formulae in that column that should not be
> overwritten by you, otherwise other parts of the sheet won't work.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>

> <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a workbook on the network that is shared by three people and
> > myself and it consists of four worksheets.  When I open the workbook
> > it
> > opens to the first sheet.  The first couple of seconds as Excel loads
> > all the data, focus is on the first sheet and I see all the columns
> > that I expect to see.  As soon as the hourglass goes away it is as if
> > had deleted columns 4 and everything to the right of it shifts to the
> > left.  If I reopen the spreadsheet, I get the same behaviour everytime
> > I reopen it.
> > If I remove the share on the worksheet then the column that keeps
> > "disappearing" is gone for good.
> > How can I get that column to stay visible so that I can use it?
> > Thanks.
> >   - jc -

Could there be a macro running that deletes the columns instead of hides
them?  Maybe disable all macros and see if it still happens.

Roger Govier wrote:
> Hi
>
> It sounds like there is a macro running on opening the file that hides
> column D.
> Maybe you are not supposed to use this column for any data entry.
>
> If you do want to unhide it and look at the contents, then mark both
> columns C and E, right click and choose Unhide.
> I suspect there will be formulae in that column that should not be
> overwritten by you, otherwise other parts of the sheet won't work.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>

> <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a workbook on the network that is shared by three people and
> > myself and it consists of four worksheets.  When I open the workbook
> > it
> > opens to the first sheet.  The first couple of seconds as Excel loads
> > all the data, focus is on the first sheet and I see all the columns
> > that I expect to see.  As soon as the hourglass goes away it is as if
> > had deleted columns 4 and everything to the right of it shifts to the
> > left.  If I reopen the spreadsheet, I get the same behaviour everytime
> > I reopen it.
> > If I remove the share on the worksheet then the column that keeps
> > "disappearing" is gone for good.
> > How can I get that column to stay visible so that I can use it?
> > Thanks.
> >   - jc -

0
lisab1 (88)
1/3/2007 12:04:43 AM
There are no macros running at all.  I set macro security to the
highest setting and it does not even give me a warning.  When I open
Tools/Macros, it shows no macros either globally or locally.

This is driving me up a wall - I NEED that disappearing column.
  - jc -

Lisa Beach wrote:
> Could there be a macro running that deletes the columns instead of hides
> them?  Maybe disable all macros and see if it still happens.
>
> <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for responding, however, there are no hidden columns; it is as
> if the column is deleted - I see it while the spreadsheet is loading
> but then the column disappears and everything shifts left as soon as it
> is through loading.
> bizarre -
>
>   - jc -
>
> Roger Govier wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > It sounds like there is a macro running on opening the file that hides
> > column D.
> > Maybe you are not supposed to use this column for any data entry.
> >
> > If you do want to unhide it and look at the contents, then mark both
> > columns C and E, right click and choose Unhide.
> > I suspect there will be formulae in that column that should not be
> > overwritten by you, otherwise other parts of the sheet won't work.
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Roger Govier
> >

> > <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a workbook on the network that is shared by three people and
> > > myself and it consists of four worksheets.  When I open the workbook
> > > it
> > > opens to the first sheet.  The first couple of seconds as Excel loads
> > > all the data, focus is on the first sheet and I see all the columns
> > > that I expect to see.  As soon as the hourglass goes away it is as if
> > > had deleted columns 4 and everything to the right of it shifts to the
> > > left.  If I reopen the spreadsheet, I get the same behaviour everytime
> > > I reopen it.
> > > If I remove the share on the worksheet then the column that keeps
> > > "disappearing" is gone for good.
> > > How can I get that column to stay visible so that I can use it?
> > > Thanks.
> > >   - jc -

I'd try opening excel in safe mode.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

The file|Open your workbook.

Does the problem continue?

If no, then you may have missed a macro--maybe it's in an addin.  Maybe it's
behind an object you didn't check (ThisWorkbook or a sheet module).

--

Dave Peterson
0

> I'd try opening excel in safe mode.
>
> Close excel
> windows start button|Run
> excel /safe
>
> The file|Open your workbook.
>
> Does the problem continue?
>
> If no, then you may have missed a macro--maybe it's in an addin.  Maybe
> it's
> behind an object you didn't check (ThisWorkbook or a sheet module).
>
> jcridgeway@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> There are no macros running at all.  I set macro security to the
>> highest setting and it does not even give me a warning.  When I open
>> Tools/Macros, it shows no macros either globally or locally.
>>
>> This is driving me up a wall - I NEED that disappearing column.
>>   - jc -
>>
>> Lisa Beach wrote:
>> > Could there be a macro running that deletes the columns instead of
>> > hides
>> > them?  Maybe disable all macros and see if it still happens.
>> >
>> > <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for responding, however, there are no hidden columns; it is as
>> > if the column is deleted - I see it while the spreadsheet is loading
>> > but then the column disappears and everything shifts left as soon as it
>> > is through loading.
>> > bizarre -
>> >
>> >   - jc -

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
KC
1/3/2007 3:49:59 PM
Thanks Dave - that is a good tip to remember in the future, but for
this particular case it did not help.
I am thinking that it may have something to do with how it was shared.
This is a copy of the file that was on the network.  When I go into
Tools/Share Workbook I see several names under "Who has this workbook
open now" even though it is just a copy and it is located on my
personal computer and nothing on my computer is shared.  I have tried
removing the share, but all that does is save the workbook and when I
reopen it, the column that I only see for a brief second or two (the
one that I NEED) no longer shows up on loadup of the spreadsheet.
If anyone has knowledge of how these spreadsheets are shared and
insight into this problem, I would sure appreciate some insight.
Thanks.
  - jc -

Dave Peterson wrote:
> I'd try opening excel in safe mode.
>
> Close excel
> windows start button|Run
> excel /safe
>
> The file|Open your workbook.
>
> Does the problem continue?
>
> If no, then you may have missed a macro--maybe it's in an addin.  Maybe it's
> behind an object you didn't check (ThisWorkbook or a sheet module).
>
> jcridgeway@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > There are no macros running at all.  I set macro security to the
> > highest setting and it does not even give me a warning.  When I open
> > Tools/Macros, it shows no macros either globally or locally.
> >
> > This is driving me up a wall - I NEED that disappearing column.
> >   - jc -
> >
> > Lisa Beach wrote:
> > > Could there be a macro running that deletes the columns instead of hides
> > > them?  Maybe disable all macros and see if it still happens.
> > >
> > > <jcridgeway@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for responding, however, there are no hidden columns; it is as
> > > if the column is deleted - I see it while the spreadsheet is loading
> > > but then the column disappears and everything shifts left as soon as it
> > > is through loading.
> > > bizarre -
> > >
> > >   - jc -

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

I don't have any other guesses.

I've never seen anything like this.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Signature logo disappears on reply
I'm finding that with multiple versions of Outlook, a logo used in the signature disappears when included on a reply/forward. Does anyone know a fix for this? Thanks ...

How can I compare data in 2 different columns in Excel?
I have a value in 1 column that records the number of applications that were applied for (by date applied), and in another column, I have the number of applications that were actually approved (by date approved). I need a way to compare the 2 columns to come up with the percentage of applications that were approved. I can do it manually, but since the data is constantly changing, and it is such a large spread sheet, I was hoping that there is a formula that will do it for me!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Becky Hi could you give some example data and your expect...

Folders Are Disappearing !
I have several (Outlook 2007) folders and various rules directing certain emails to certain folders. But some of those folders magically disappear and my rules become useless because everything goes into one folder (inbox). Anyone know why this happens, and what to do about it ? The rules would not work if the folders are not there to move the files (emails) into them, so that part is understable. We just need to address why the folders are disappearing and how to prevent it. I need some clarification on where these folders are located. Are they sub-folders of Personal Folder. I hav...

Sales stage column empty(public view)
Hi all my client would like to see the sales stage on the opportunity default view. There is such a colmn in the view. the problem with it is that it is never updated even though the sales stages change. i dont even see it in the opportunity form. my question is How do i get it (column) to show data? many thanx -- phumulaniluyandacollinlembede There are 2 "Sales Stage" related attributes in the Opportunity. One is called "Sales Stage" (a Picklist) the other is called "Step Name" (a Text field) You need to expose "Step Name" in the View &/o...

Printing column area
I would like to print a column area in repeated pages (not the whole column). Any ideas? It's not totally clear to me what you're asking. But if it is, how do you limit the print area to a specific range, first select the range and then use File, Print Area, Set Print Area. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP Well that is how to print a certain range but what I am asking is that I want a certain part of the column to be repeated in all the pages. By clicking Page Setup/Sheet and ticking the option "columns to repeat at left" it takes the whole column and not a part of it. I just wa...

Contacts Disappearing.
Everytime one of our employees enter a new contact or update a current contact. Some of them disappears or the update does not take place. Thanks I'd first copy them all to a pst so you don't lose anymore. Import them into a test mailbox and see if it has the same issue. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "...

updater in system tray disappears
Windows XP SP3, IE7 When the icon for windows tray appears telling me I have updates, I click on it, chose custom, and chose the updates I wish to install. It starts downloading the updates, and the icon disappears, but never comes back to let me install the updates. -- Even if I reboot. So if I go into IE and choose Windows Update tool, I select the updates I want. After these have downloaded again, all of a sudden the icon appears again in the system tray, like, oh -- I forgot -- you can install these updates now. At this time I usually just let IE7 install the updat...

Sum of every nth cell in a column
I am trying to figure out the formula for adding the nth cell in a given column. I am using the formula below to add every 4th cell but it is just one that I found on line. Can someone explain to me the components of this formula so I can adapt it? =SUM((C2:C213) * (MOD( ROW( C2:C213)+1, 4)=0)) That is an array formula so it must be committed with Shift + Ctrl + <Enter>. here is how it works... Moving down through cells C2:C213 it looks at each 2 things. The value of the cell and the row that cell is on. If the row that cell is on is +1 is evenly divisible by 1 then ...

Disappearing Menu Items
I added News to the Go menu of Outlook 2003 as described in the help files. This worked fine for a few days but then it disappeared from the menu list. Even worse it isn't in the Customise options any more so I can't add it again. Now I can only access News groups by starting Outlook Express directly. Anyone know how to add it to the menu items again please? To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch...

Mails disappearing.
I tried to move a mail to a folder using "Right Click > Move to folder > OK" without selecting any folders. The default selection was "Personal Folder". Noted that this mail had moved from the inbox. But no idea where the mail has gone. Please help to find those mails. Best Regards Same. Then they are probably in the Outlook Today folder. See here how you can retrieve them; www.howto-outlook.com/faq/mailoutlooktoday.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slip...

CRMbar in Outlook disappears
Hello, On the notebooks of our employees I've installed the Desktop CRM Client. On some of these notebooks after a while, the CRM bar in Outlook disappears. Menu > View > Toolbars > Microsoft CRM is checked, and the only solution that worked for me untill now is to do a Repair from the Client install CD. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Because more and more people are having this problem. Regards, Dirk ...

Disappearing M driive
I'm running Windows Server 2000 with exchange 5.5 and caome in today and my m drive is no longer showing up. Tried rebooting and still, no m drive. Have cleaned up the rest of the hard drive and have 2 gb of free space. Am I looking at a reload??? Exchange 5.5 doesn't have IFS capabilities so there is no M:\ drive. Sounds like you may have Citrix installed? If this is actually E2K, then check to make sure that the Information store service is started and/or the databases are mounted. -- Cheers, Steve Antonio Microsoft Exchange Support This posting is provided "AS IS&...

How to increase number of columns appear in a worksheet?
You only get 256 columns with any released version of excel. Dhinesh wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Moving data from many columns to a single column
Hi I have Excel 2007, I have a spreadsheet with 38 columns with product names in an average of 50 rows in each column, one name per cell. I need to put all of these products into one column. How can I do that automatically. thanks Daniel Hi. Give a try to : Sub test() Dim c As Range, Sh As Worksheet Set Sh = ActiveSheet Sheets.Add before:=Sheets(1) With Sh For i = 1 To 38 For Each c In Range(.Cells(1, i), .Cells(65536, i).End(xlUp)) Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Offset(1) = c Next c Next i End With End Sub HTH Daniel >...

Problem with Table Column Not Expanding
I've got text in a table column that extends beyond the visible edge of the column. It appears that Word 2007 is not actually extending the table as it should but stops right at the page break. On the Table tab of Table properties, make sure text wrapping is set to None. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "David C. Holley" <David.C.Holley> wrote in message news:%23IRfeJbgKHA.5564@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I've got text in a table column that extends beyond the visible edge...

Separation of time (duration) in to separate columns
I have tried to follow instructions in office assitant but have failed. I have put my phone bill into Excel 2000. The call durations are in one column formatted as hh:mm:ss. I need to separate into separate columns containing respectively hh mm ss. Can some kind person give me further guidance, please? twolefthands, Check out the time functions HOUR, MINUTE and SECOND. So if your time is in cell A1 then use: =HOUR(A1) =MINUTE(A1) =SECOND(A1) Good Luck, Mark Graesser mark_graesser@yahoo.com ----- twolefthands wrote: ----- I have tried to follow instructions in office ...

Contacts Keep Disappearing
For some reason my contacts keep dissappering each time I close Live Mail. I open it back up and the contacts are gone. It was working fine when I first started using it a week ago. Each time I have to import them in from Outlook Express. What gives and is anyone else experiencing this issue? Are you using a Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM ? If so, try importing them via the web UI at contacts.live.com(click Manage, then import) Thereafter use that Live ID to sign on to Windows Live when using WLM. If not using a Live ID, you may have encountered a problem ...

sumproduct of 2 columns with date and name
This is the formula I am using but it doesn't work. any suggestions? I am trying to add the number of times that in one column it says any date of january and in the other column it says Tom. Not counting any blank rows in the date column. =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT($J$4:$J$97,"mmm")="jan"),--($J$4:$J$97<>"")*($O$4:$O$97="tom")) Why do you say it doesn't work? excel guru i''m not wrote: > > This is the formula I am using but it doesn't work. > > any suggestions? > > I am trying to add the number of times ...

need formula for multiple columns/rows
I have a spreadsheet with a budget value in column C, monthly billings in columns D - Q, and the remaining balance in column R. I can use =c3-sum(d3:q3) for row 3, but is there a formula to repeat the calculation for multiple rows without having to type that into the R cell on every row. I'm sure it is simple, I'm just learning. Thanks, kzas Hi Kzas, If I got it right, you want the formula to calculate the sum for al the rows from row 3 up to the row is appears. If so, then the followin should do it: =$c$3-sum($d$3:$q3) -(assuming that there is only one budget figure)- =$c$3-su...

how to change format of several dates entered in an Excel column
I have several dates (in fact over 100) already entered in the Date column in "1 Jul 1854" format. This makes it impossible to run a meaningful sort by Date. Is there a way to change these dates to a diffirent format like "1854-07-01"? Of course, I'm not asking how to change every date manually. I'd like to highlight this column and change all the dates at once. All suggestions will be appreciated. -- Ilya Zeldes Fort Myers, FL Excel dates start on Jan 0 1900 so anything earlier is text, John Walkenbach has an add-in http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/xdate.ht...

News disappears
I added News to the "GO" button in Outlook 2003 and logged into the news service. The next time I used Outlook, News was not on the "GO" button and it had also disappeared from the list of add-ons. Where did it go? Can I get it back? Thanks, Turner To get the News command back, go back to the Programs tab in Control Panel | Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask me again" box and then click the No button. You ma...

Average of the Product of Two Columns
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C3796D.52D9AFA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have a spreadsheet showing the name of a product followed by how much = it will sell for in each location. In another column I have a flag, = either 0 or 1 to indicate that the product can be purchased from that = location. The buy and sell prices are equal (no profit). I want to find out what the average sell price for each product is. Here = is how my spreadsheet is layed out: ----------- ...

cant view columns ie A B C D..
This is driving me nuts but I am sure it's an easy setting, I cant see to view the top of my spreadsheet to see the excel column names ie A C Sorry for being thic -- beatrice2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- beatrice25's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3450 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55476 Hi, Can you see the row numbers? If not then try Tools -> Options -> View and under Windows Options maybe you have to tjeck-mark the Row & Column Headers. Regar...

Why Do 2 Rows Disappear from my DataGridView?
I'm going around circles with this one. In the following code, > clicking the Yes button makes 2 rows disappear from the DataGridView, (which I don't want) but only 1 delete from the underlying db (as desired). > clicking the No button makes 1 row disappear from the DataGridView, (which I don't want) with none deleting from the underlying db (as desired). > clicking the Cancel button has the same effect as clicking the No button. Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? In addition, if anyone knows of a good working sample of code where you can delete all of...

Row and column headings
Is it possible to change the lettertype of the rowheadings (1, 2, ...) and the columnheadings (A, B, ...)? And to change their alignment, for example left alligned for the columnheading? If a row is for example 3 times as high as the normal lettertype, then Excel allignes the rownumbers at the bottom of the row. I would like to position it at the top of the row. Joris. (Netherlands) Other than changing the Font there is nothing you can do with the row and column headings except hide them and use column A and row 1 for your own titles. To change Font go to Format>Style and work fr...